As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] 2 Minutes in Heaven

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I could see it, which is a shame, I mean you were an iconic bit player Richard, accept that and move on with life. You were white Morgan Freeman.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well you know how everyone said "man art degrees are useless" Welcome to the result of that you jerks!

Maybe Olly Moss or Tyler Stout can finally do some work that pays money if they get brought on the new Star Wars films.

• Options
    I could see it, which is a shame, I mean you were an iconic bit player Richard, accept that and move on with life. You were white Morgan Freeman.

Eh, he played leading men almost exclusively though the late 70s through the 90s, but no one needed an older, ornery Jewish guy any more.

It was a bit of a stretch when he, 51, was in a rom-com with Jenna Elfman, 27.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    but now that hollywood just sticks to orange and teal doesnt mean they have to.

Aghhghhghhahgh

I hate that cracked article with the fire of a thousand suns.

Orange and blue is one of the three complimentary color schemes and it works with human skin tones, sky color, and natural light. IE, many many many many scenes in movies that take place outside during daylight. It is not 'overused'.

What you SHOULD be annoyed at is people just taking the saturation and throwing it through the roof. The problem isn't the color scheme.

its pretty damn noticeable and samey, its no wonder theres a cracked article about it. (havent read it though)

Just because you can catalogue and notice similarities doesn't mean its something to rail against. It would be like railing against black and white as a color scheme. Its that basic.

Its like when someone compiled an image gallery of all the action movie posters with explosions, debris, smoke, and people with guns on the posters... as if thats a bad thing. Those movies have those things in them.

Blue and orange is one of THREE complimentary color schemes. Other than black and white or monochromatic, theres no color scheme more simple. Its there because it works

36_33780~noon,-or-the-siesta,-after-millet,-1890.jpg

yes but you see in the image you posted it looks perfectly fine and great.

most hollywood movies do not do this.

• Options

Eh, he played leading men almost exclusively though the late 70s through the 90s, but no one needed an older, ornery Jewish guy any more.

It was a bit of a stretch when he, 51, was in a rom-com with Jenna Elfman, 27.

WHITE MORGAN FREEMAN!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    but now that hollywood just sticks to orange and teal doesnt mean they have to.

Aghhghhghhahgh

I hate that cracked article with the fire of a thousand suns.

Orange and blue is one of the three complimentary color schemes and it works with human skin tones, sky color, and natural light. IE, many many many many scenes in movies that take place outside during daylight. It is not 'overused'.

What you SHOULD be annoyed at is people just taking the saturation and throwing it through the roof. The problem isn't the color scheme.

its pretty damn noticeable and samey, its no wonder theres a cracked article about it. (havent read it though)

Just because you can catalogue and notice similarities doesn't mean its something to rail against. It would be like railing against black and white as a color scheme. Its that basic.

Its like when someone compiled an image gallery of all the action movie posters with explosions, debris, smoke, and people with guns on the posters... as if thats a bad thing. Those movies have those things in them.

Blue and orange is one of THREE complimentary color schemes. Other than black and white or monochromatic, theres no color scheme more simple. Its there because it works

36_33780~noon,-or-the-siesta,-after-millet,-1890.jpg

yes but you see in the image you posted it looks perfectly fine and great.

most hollywood movies do not do this.

Which is why I am saying that the problem is with saturation - ie: the intensity of the color.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    oh wait. yeah you did say that. apologies

i agree, the saturation is ridiculous in those films that do it.

also i now aim to properly explain myself better in future, and read stuff better.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Stupid Farrellys killed spoof movies. They used to be good, like Major League, Naked Gun, Hot Shots...

Now everyone thinks of them as things that suck.

they only seemed good because you were a dumb kid

the last good spoof movie was probably one of the airplanes

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The first Naked Gun, along with Police Squad, is still wonderful. The second is alright. The third is meh. Nielsen looked tired, and those movies needed him in top form to work as well as they did.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Also, there's a distinction between the referential spoofs and the loving send-ups.

Mel Brooks made send-ups (mostly, especially earlier on). The Zuckers made spoofs.

Spoofs are generally crap and draw their humor from pop culture references that will be dated before the film opens.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    so the big lebowski and the hudsucker proxy are more parodies or i guess send-ups than spoofs

those are brilliant

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Hudsucker Proxy really does not get as much love as it ought to.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Dreyfuss in Piranha? Sort of spoofing Jaws?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Also, there's a distinction between the referential spoofs and the loving send-ups.

Mel Brooks made send-ups (mostly, especially earlier on). The Zuckers made spoofs.

Spoofs are generally crap and draw their humor from pop culture references that will be dated before the film opens.

You're making up distinctions to justify what you like and what you dislike

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

Nope.

But that was kinda needlessly contentious of you.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Nope.

Naw I'm kinda with him on this. If we're going to have this conversation we should probably define our terms... What's the difference between spoof, satire, send-up, parody, &c.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I wanna wade in and say that Spaceballs TOTALLY holds up, but History of the World Part 1 does not... at all. Even Blazing Saddles has lost a lot of shine when I saw it most recently. For Mel Brooks, I would say:

1) Young Frankenstein
    2) Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    3) Spaceballs
    4) Everything else

As far as underappreciated, I've always LOVED Loaded Weapon Part 1. Doesn't get 1/10th the love of Naked Gun, but it's really really funny.

• Options
    I was with you until Men in Tights.

Really?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I was with you until Men in Tights. Really?

Yeah, really? Cary Elwes is a comedy CHAMP. I'll tell you what though, I might make an effort to watch it again soon and see if it goes sour like History of the World did for me on rewatch. I doubt it though, making the blind guy the camp scout is pretty much ALWAYS funny.

• Options
    I mean, it's alright, but it ain't even Blazing Saddles, and it certainly isn't The Producers.

stream
  • Options
    How on Earth do you make a list of the top Mel Brooks movies and leave out The Producers?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's definitely big portions of history of the world that don't work, but they didn't particularly work at the time, either.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    How on Earth do you make a list of the top Mel Brooks movies and leave out The Producers?

Producers is another one that hasn't aged well, and 12 chairs is a pale version of it's Soviet counter part.

edit: also, am the only fan of Silence of the Hams? I know it's not that great but that movie always cracks me up.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    oh wait. yeah you did say that. apologies

i agree, the saturation is ridiculous in those films that do it.

also i now aim to properly explain myself better in future, and read stuff better.

@irond will Stop him, he's trying to kill Debate and/or Discourse!

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Nope.

Naw I'm kinda with him on this. If we're going to have this conversation we should probably define our terms... What's the difference between spoof, satire, send-up, parody, &c.

Well, I kind of already laid that out, but here we are:

- Spoof: Absurdist, unpointedly referential, often scatological, and generally without commentary; ex. _____ Movie series, Zucker films (Naked Gun, Airplane, et al)

- Satire: Pointedly referential, direct its commentary, often mocking and abrasive toward its inspirational source while subverting its tropes; ex. Dr. Strangelove, The Dictator (Chaplin version), Borat, Natural Born Killers

- Send-Up: Pointedly referential but pointedly reverential as well, deconstructing of tropes while lovingly embracing them, these films often are superior examples of the genres they're commenting upon; ex. Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Cabin in the Woods, the first Austin Powers

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r5ngyALMRR4

goddamn. and electrical tape.

just remembered they played a couple in drive too. hah.

dont know what to think of the colour grading there, i know they started the whole digital colour grading thing but now that hollywood just sticks to orange and teal doesnt mean they have to.

Kitten!!!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I saw approximately 5 seconds of that trailer and could tell it was a Coens film even before it billed itself as such, and it made me all giddy. Like when you open a present with a conspicuous shape and you catch a glimpse of the packaging and realize it's that sweet-ass laser robot you wanted.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, this is a thread for discussing trailers. There is a different thread for discussing movies, if that is what y'all want to do.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I saw approximately 5 seconds of that trailer and could tell it was a Coens film even before it billed itself as such, and it made me all giddy. Like when you open a present with a conspicuous shape and you catch a glimpse of the packaging and realize it's that sweet-ass laser robot you wanted.

But what you'll need with an ass laser, I'll never ask.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    that's a pretty well done parody of a trailer advertising a rerelease of top gun

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

let's take a moment to appreciate fantastic Coen Bros. trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo-RDJb4W28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEEYG54_KA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMWu6i7l5ec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfwhB6401I4

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The Coen Brothers constantly amaze and delight me.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    Still on board with GI Joe, still mad it got delayed for 3d? I think whatever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Dreyfus was p much the best thing about the Poisidon remake.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The lowest of low bars to clear.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

We finally answer the question:

Does 3D make something more or less homoerotic?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

We finally answer the question:

Does Tom Cruise make something more or less homoerotic?

This discussion has been closed.