As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

1555657585961»

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    In EO3, you need to beat special bosses to raise the level cap (+10 each, except the last who's +9, IIRC).

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    "Retire" is respec.

No, "Rest" is "lose a couple levels, and respec."

"Retire" is "Delete the character, and create a new level 1 character with some bonuses based on how high of a level the guy who retired was."

One is just a couple of more levels than the other. I confuse them.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    EO 3 is the one that really brings the old school bullshit dungeon design back for the final stratum. I hate spinners and dead map rooms so much. Teleport mazes are old hat.

Is it worse than Strange Journeys dungeon design? I haven't actually done the postgame in any of the EOs ever since I found floor 26 of EO1 to be incredibly boring. Literally no danger, just boring.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    EO 3 is the one that really brings the old school bullshit dungeon design back for the final stratum. I hate spinners and dead map rooms so much. Teleport mazes are old hat.

I'm surprised that EO3 avoided that stuff throughout the story-content. That last stratum is goddamn murder.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Is it worse than Strange Journeys dungeon design? I haven't actually done the postgame in any of the EOs ever since I found floor 26 of EO1 to be incredibly boring. Literally no danger, just boring.

EO 1 probably has the best final stratum of them all; you missed a real treat.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

EO 1 probably has the best final stratum of them all; you missed a real treat.

I remember the first floor was a teleport maze with a incredibly high encounter rate, and each encounter couldn't scratch me, but took a few turns to kill. Was simply so damn tedious.

• Options
    need more Thunder magic in yer party.

• Options
    need more Thunder magic in yer party.

I distinctly recall spamming the aoe thunder spell, otherwise it would have taken forever :P.

I might pick it up again at some point, but feeling more motivated to do EO3 as that game is more fun overall.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    No L and R strafing makes EO 1 hard to come back to. I've mapped whole levels with 95% of my movement being goofy strafing.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    The second I get this stupid Ronin to level 30 I'm resting him for a Landshark. Maybe I'll go Ronin in EO2.

• Options
    Ronin would be most improved in EO 2...if not for Hexer becoming the best offensive class in the game.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Is revenge stronger in EO2? I haven't tried it yet.

How is the Hexer stronger?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I need to give EO2 another shot, again. The difficulty of that game is astronomical compared to parts 1 and 3, as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    I'm seriously considering skipping EO2 so I can jump straight to EO3. Eeeeh.

• Options

Revenge is much stronger, their hexes are more accurate, they have poison early on, they've got the spell that lowers resistances, and most importantly of all, you can use various limits and misdirections to keep Hexers from ever getting hit, making it much easier to just sit at 1 hp all day.

Hexer goes from the worst class in EO1 to the second best class in EO 2 behind Protector, king and lord of cheap nonsense.

• Options
    I pre-ordered EO4 yesterday, btw. Not that I have a 3DS yet. But I at least want to have the game in my possession.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Revenge is much stronger, their hexes are more accurate, they have poison early on, they've got the spell that lowers resistances, and most importantly of all, you can use various limits and misdirections to keep Hexers from ever getting hit, making it much easier to just sit at 1 hp all day.

Hexer goes from the worst class in EO1 to the second best class in EO 2 behind Protector, king and lord of cheap nonsense.

Protector with a pile of Amrita IIIs is shenanigans incarnate.

Of course, so is a Hexer hitting for thousands of damage per turn off Revenge (Maxed - fixed damage equal to triple your lost health. So at 1 HP... it basically kills everything quickly)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think I stopped on bf23 in EO 3 which from the sounds of it is right before things got super frustrating. I later went through again to try out a whole new party set up but they are getting stonewalled by the dragons at the moment despite being in the 60s.

• Options
    Plus every class can up HP to 150% of normal or whatever it is and not just the tanky classes. Survivalist, Alchemist, Landshark, late game ronin, a proper Dark Hunter, Combat Medic, Protector all do around the same damage as a fully maxed Hexer in EO1 without going around with one hp, while basically no one outdamages them in EO2.

EO 2 also gives them nice synergy with Alchemists, Gunners, War Clerics? (I can't remember their names) Dark Hunters and anyone else who appreciates a good binding or resistance lowering.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The corruption -> curse cut combo, plus transfer turns out to be especially powerful for me, since I can fight at full force all the time and unload my team's strongest abilities whenever. Otherwise, I usually hold back, so I don't have to run back to town and rest after a couple hours in the labyrinth.

Since I'm not running with a medic and can't revive at will, I didn't pick up revenge this time (EO2). I might try it, since it hits even harder now. In the first game revenge was the only thing I found that made the sixth stratum bearable.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The corruption -> curse cut combo, plus transfer turns out to be especially powerful for me, since I can fight at full force all the time and unload my team's strongest abilities whenever. Otherwise, I usually hold back, so I don't have to run back to town and rest after a couple hours in the labyrinth.

Since I'm not running with a medic and can't revive at will, I didn't pick up revenge this time (EO2). I might try it, since it hits even harder now. In the first game revenge was the only thing I found that made the sixth stratum bearable.

Medic with only one point in revive is great. Bring Hexer back at exactly 1 HP, always.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Caprice is pretty devastating to most things, too. But maxing Poison early is insanity. Nothing lives.

PLA on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Nothing lives AND you solve nearly all your money problems.

• Options
    I'm might have ground the first boss until I had enough for his unique weapon before going to stratum 2.

I then used that party to beat the optional boss on stratum 2 before beating the real boss of 2 and get his awesome gun...of course by then it was getting a bit insane so I benched that party and started five new duders.

• Options
    I'm might have ground the first boss until I had enough for his unique weapon before going to stratum 2.

I then used that party to beat the optional boss on stratum 2 before beating the real boss of 2 and get his awesome gun...of course by then it was getting a bit insane so I benched that party and started five new duders.

In EO2?

Or does EO1 have respawning bosses? And unique weapons?

• Options
    They both do. In EO 1 rare drops are percentage based, though some are condition based and percentage while in eo 2 they are 100% guaranteed if conditions are met which all the bosses have.

• Options
    Sweet. So, how do I get bosses to respawn in EO1?

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly, every FOE respawns after an in-game week, every two weeks for bosses.

• Options
    Double post, just going to save some pain for anyone who gets to B27 of EO1:
    Do not kill the FOE.

• Options
    Why not?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Apparently there's going to be an EO4 demo. And you can apply your save from that to the actual retail game! Woah!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    There's been mutterings of a EO 1-3 reprint, but I just don't know if I want to get a hold of 1/2. I have 3, but I barely started, and 4 is pre-ordered. I enjoy what I've played a good bit, but I don't know if I need to go back to play those ones.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The reprint is out right now.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The reprint is out right now.

Oh shit yes. Time to badger people into buying them.

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Still no word on EU release. Considering Dungeon Crawlers were the only reason I bought a 3DS it's pretty disappointing.

• Options
    A handful of people seem to have voted for EO4 here.

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Wait, shit, I thought EO4 was confirmed in the EU a couple weeks ago. It's the reason I immediately went out and bought a 3ds. :?

And fuck the 2nd boss of EO3. Doing great until at 10% he cast sleep on the entire party and right after one shotted everyone with Ocean Rave. Such bullshit. What's my options except to level a prince for the anti-aliment buff?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    We have an EO4 thread on page 1 of G&T. :P

And yes it's confirmed there is an EU release.

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Uh, whoops. :oops:

• Options
    Well you edited in some legit EO3 so I can give some feedback.

The sleep ailment (and Ocean Rave) can be avoided with greatly increasing success the more you level. Try one or two level ups and it should miss you.