As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - The thread is going down! Abandon thread, abandon thread!

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    well you have 2 options:

1. use the stock heatsink
    2. remove the mobo and install the backplate before putting it into the case, which is what I recommend people do for any build.

if you mean there physically isn't enough space for the backplate, then your going to need to take a dremel to the case.but I haven't seen a backplate that was thicker then the height of the mobo standoffs before. maybe you just didn't have it put on the right way.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah looking at pictures of the R4 it seems to me that something is not the right way... I have the Evo and Arc Midi from Fractal Design with an Asus MB and had no such problems... can you take pictures?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If these case didn't already have them installed did you screw in the stand offs that go between the mobo and the case?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Foomy wrote: »
    well you have 2 options:

1. use the stock heatsink
    2. remove the mobo and install the backplate before putting it into the case, which is what I recommend people do for any build.

if you mean there physically isn't enough space for the backplate, then your going to need to take a dremel to the case.but I haven't seen a backplate that was thicker then the height of the mobo standoffs before. maybe you just didn't have it put on the right way.

The backplate just barely doesn't fit entirely into the opening under the cpu, its just a hair off. The reason I don't want to remove the mobo and add the backplate is that the standoffs are the same height as the backplate, so I will likely be in the same situation that I am now. Pick below (not of my mobo) that shows what area of the backplate I am having issues with.

j8DQ0ca.jpg

Basically those two points are hitting the case and there isn't enough clearance for them to fit between the case and mobo.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    A public service announcement (with excessive use of the general "you"): backplate cutouts are primarily intended for users who wish to change/remove/re-seat their CPU Heatsink without removing the heatsink itself from the case. I'm going to go big here and say that it's universally preferable to attach an air cooling heatsink while your motherboard is outside the case, after you've inserted RAM and your CPU. Obviously you don't always want to be forced to do that, but when you're doing a new build that's the procedure you should use.

AiO liquid coolers are different. The preferred installation method is to install the motherboard, attach the radiator, then install the waterblock on the CPU. Even then, if your motherboard lacks a cutout or the cutout isn't well placed, it might be desirable to at least install the backplate prior to motherboard installation.

@ultimakay It's possible that you can't fit it in there with the mobo installed because of some protrusions on the back side of the board that are preventing it from sliding in that wouldn't be in the way otherwise. The Evo is a pretty popular cooler, and the Z77 Extreme4 is a pretty popular board, all shoved into one of (I think) the best designed cases around, so I would be surprised if there was a clearance issue here, as I would think we'd have heard about it. That said, there are a shit-ton of hardware combinations out there, and the backplate on the Evo is fairly unusual in its thickness, so I'm certainly not discounting the possibility (and it would certainly be far from the first time I was surprised about something like this). I'd say remove the mobo, attach just the backplate if possible, then try to mount the board again, going gently to ensure you don't damage the board if it is a clearance issue. If it fits fine, yay! If not, we all learned something today about socket placement and double-thick backplates, and I'd recommend finding a dremel, grinder or small hacksaw and removing those tabs, which are for AMD sockets and are thus entirely useless. If you do that, make sure to smooth out your cutting work afterward, to avoid damaging yourself or someone else now or in the future if you have to remove the backplate.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Non sequitur: I had to put way more force than I was comfortable with to seat my 3570k. The whole time I'm thinking, "Yes, I know I put everything in right and that I need to lock the chip into the socket... but it's also a $220 chip that I could very well be fucking up right now..."

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Lots of force installing a CPU? let me tell you about the latch on the old socket A amd chips....

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think I installed one of those, actually. Was that what the original Athlon64 chips were on?

EDIT: No, wait, it was an Athlon XP I installed, back when AMD made the bleeding-edge chips and Pentium 4's were an overheating joke.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    yeah, athlon XPs, among other chips.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oh wait, no, I misremembered: my old eMachines (!) PC came with an AthlonXP, and the very first PC I built for myself used an Athlon64, which was on 939. Ah memories.

But yeah, (what I feel like is) excessive force + delicate, expensive computer equipment = ohgodIhopeI'mdoingthisright.

EDIT: My NewEgg history reveals that it was in fact this bad boy that I installed.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    i think the socket 939s used a somewhat similar retention system. I never owned one myself, to my disappointment. Went athlon XP to an AM2 athlon 64 x2

Applying undue force to extremely expensive silicon is terrifying though, for sure

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Man, you guys are making me sentimental. I too remember when AMD was fo' rizzle (if you will).

• Options
    Oh man, remember that time Intel was the complacent old man who insisted that higher clock speeds were the only measure of CPU performance? And AMD was the precocious young upstart who insisted that something something more efficient clock cycle usage was the way of the future? And that 64-bit was for more than just hipsters?

...Remember The Fonz?

• Options
    RIP athlon 64s

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    *hits side of new NAS, NAS boots*

Aaaaaay.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i hate every heatsink that has to be installed by pushpins instead of screws

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Man, I remember getting a screw driver and prying the heatsink onto the CPU. Now that was terrifying.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Man, I remember getting a screw driver and prying the heatsink onto the CPU. Now that was terrifying.

this is in fact the exact CPU install method i was thinking of.

well more like using it to press down on the retention clip, but ugh it was awful

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    My work PC is Athlon 1700XP and it's glacially slow. It can barely play Youtube videos at 360p let alone any kind of flash, and takes somewhere around 10 minutes from turning it on until it's usable.

I remember building a PC with my dad where the CPU, I think it was an Intel, was in a rectangular plastic box that slotted in perpendicular to the motherboard. That might have been my first PC building experience.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Cormac wrote: »
    My work PC is Athlon 1700XP and it's glacially slow. It can barely play Youtube videos at 360p let alone any kind of flash, and takes somewhere around 10 minutes from turning it on until it's usable.

I remember building a PC with my dad where the CPU, I think it was an Intel, was in a rectangular plastic box that slotted in perpendicular to the motherboard. That might have been my first PC building experience.

either an AMD slot A which was for Athalon, or Intel Slot 1 for Pentium II/III

it was an interesting design.

Me and my friend took his pentium III, and using some sort of plastic paneling scraps, silicone, and a pond pump and some careful dremel work used the built in heatsink on one of those to jury rig a water cooling loop up.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    A 1700xp? Ouch

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    My coworker's is a 1600xp and the computer we use with customers is a Athlon 64 but I don't recall what chip exactly (it's at least 5 years old). Every single customer I work with comments on how old/slow our computers are which really does not reflect well upon us as a business and professionals.

For around $5000 I could build new computers for every person in the company, all 10 of us that need them, but we just don't have the money. Even if we did have the money we wouldn't make back that $5000 or turn any additional profit from them. We've all learned to just grin and bear it, but goddamn if it isn't aggravating.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    But think of the increase in productivity!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Asus Pb238q?

I've talked myself out of a 120hz monitor because I really don't play enough fast paced multiplayer stuff for it to make a difference, but I'm still on the hunt for a 23-24" monitor. The other option would be the Dell u2412m, but as far as I know it's running 4:3 and I prefer 16:9 even with the slight loss of vertical space.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    the 2412m is 16:10

i've no experience with the asus

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Lots of force installing a CPU? let me tell you about the latch on the old socket A amd chips....

Virgin PCI ports on cheap motherboards were frightening as the mobo warped when I put 180 lbs of weight just to get it to seat.

Now that's fucking frightening.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Ah, I must have seen it wrong.

How supported is 16:10 when it comes to games?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Have there been any rumors about when the next generation of video cards is due to come out? I'm going to buy a 7970 in a month or so, but if the new cards are due out in March or April I consider waiting until then.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Ah, I must have seen it wrong.

How supported is 16:10 when it comes to games?

In the six or so years I've been using 16:10 displays I haven't found anything yet that didn't play nice, provided it could do any widescreen at all

I the u2412m. Only complaint is no hdmi in, but it has dvi so you're still covered there with an adapter

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Asus Pb238q?

I've talked myself out of a 120hz monitor because I really don't play enough fast paced multiplayer stuff for it to make a difference, but I'm still on the hunt for a 23-24" monitor. The other option would be the Dell u2412m, but as far as I know it's running 4:3 and I prefer 16:9 even with the slight loss of vertical space.

As far as backup anecdotal evidence goes, I've been running an Dell Ultrasharp 2407 since 2006 (when it cost ~£850) and it's been a fantastic monitor. I haven't found a game that won't support 16:10.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Great stuff guys thanks, think I'll grab the U2412M then.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Have there been any rumors about when the next generation of video cards is due to come out? I'm going to buy a 7970 in a month or so, but if the new cards are due out in March or April I consider waiting until then.
    Anandtech implied a June-ish timeframe for desktop when they were talking about the 8000-series mobile stuff from AMD.

Nvidia is rumored to be launching a new 700-series in a month or so based on the "Big Kepler" chip they're using in the Tesla line of GPGPU cards, but I don't know how much credence to put on that. It would just be a bigger 680, no real architectural changes to speak of, and be hideously expensive.

• Options
    My coworker's is a 1600xp and the computer we use with customers is a Athlon 64 but I don't recall what chip exactly (it's at least 5 years old). Every single customer I work with comments on how old/slow our computers are which really does not reflect well upon us as a business and professionals.

For around $5000 I could build new computers for every person in the company, all 10 of us that need them, but we just don't have the money. Even if we did have the money we wouldn't make back that $5000 or turn any additional profit from them. We've all learned to just grin and bear it, but goddamn if it isn't aggravating.

That really sucks. Assuming the computers were new when the company started, I'm guessing the company isn't doing that well?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Anandtech implied a June-ish timeframe for desktop when they were talking about the 8000-series mobile stuff from AMD.

Nvidia is rumored to be launching a new 700-series in a month or so based on the "Big Kepler" chip they're using in the Tesla line of GPGPU cards, but I don't know how much credence to put on that. It would just be a bigger 680, no real architectural changes to speak of, and be hideously expensive.

The new nvidia card is actually supposed to be the long awaited gk110 part. Supposedly the specs are identical to a tesla k20x. So yeah ludicrously expensive but if the rumors are accurate it should be significantly more powerful than a 680.

Architecturally it'd still be kepler but massively better memory bandwidth and far more compute power. Should cost less than a 690, but only by a bit

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, I for one hope there'll be a GTX790...

Shit, if they take a hit and price it at $1000, it'd be crazy not to get one!

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

The new nvidia card is actually supposed to be the long awaited gk110 part. Supposedly the specs are identical to a tesla k20x. So yeah ludicrously expensive but if the rumors are accurate it should be significantly more powerful than a 680.

Architecturally it'd still be kepler but massively better memory bandwidth and far more compute power. Should cost less than a 690, but only by a bit

Yeah, "Big Kepler" is what people were calling GK110 since it doesn't have its own code-name as far as anyone knows.

• Options
    I actually totally missed the part of your post where you called it big kepler.

Clearly three cups of coffee isn't enough for this morning

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    @a5ehren June is a lot longer than I'm willing to wait, so I'll just stick with the 7970 for when I get my tax return back.

The company has been around since the late 1960's and we're the last surviving professional photo lab in the city. Business is certainly down and has been over the last decade, and the current state of the economy is not exactly helping. However, we're basically doing ok and we're making most of our money through custom work/design and video transfers, but spending money on what basically amounts to convenience and modernization but not increased profit doesn't make financial sense.

• Options
    The 7970 is a fantastic card and they're priced really well these days. You won't be disappointed

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    @a5ehren June is a lot longer than I'm willing to wait, so I'll just stick with the 7970 for when I get my tax return back.

The company has been around since the late 1960's and we're the last surviving professional photo lab in the city. Business is certainly down and has been over the last decade, and the current state of the economy is not exactly helping. However, we're basically doing ok and we're making most of our money through custom work/design and video transfers, but spending money on what basically amounts to convenience and modernization but not increased profit doesn't make financial sense.

Well if nothing else, it's a security risk assuming those machines are even on XP. If there's any customer data on there, you would probably be liable if it's taken. I'm trying to help you get some new boxes :P

This discussion has been closed.