As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROGRAMMING] Pimping Vanilla HL7s by A02-A17 XML Coffeescripts

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Does anyone have the fictional PA standard? I want to see if I can make Something out of it with my EBNF parser generator.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    @echo: Little late, but that Ruby idiom you showed earlier is fine.

That's how the Ruby HTTP and socket libraries work.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of an easy way to add release note to apps deployed with VS One-Click Publishing? I work for a small company, so I could just tell everyone what the updates do but...1)Talking to people...why bother and 2) Adding such a feature will be far more pleasant then doing the changes I'm going to note in it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited January 2013
    Not really. One-Click is intentionally kept super simple. I would say instead turn the page they go to in order to get the One-Click package in to a release notes, with the One-Click link at the bottom.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So Travis is pretty fun for automated testing as soon as you push stuff to Github.

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of an easy way to add release note to apps deployed with VS One-Click Publishing? I work for a small company, so I could just tell everyone what the updates do but...1)Talking to people...why bother and 2) Adding such a feature will be far more pleasant then doing the changes I'm going to note in it.

We push our oneclick apps through citrix so the users never see the new version downloads so to notify of new release notes we just have a popup on their first time starting it post-update.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So Travis is pretty fun for automated testing as soon as you push stuff to Github.

I am really tempted to add travis hooks to my repos. The compile time on one of the projects is like 4 hours, requires 6GB of drive space and linking is a multi gig affair.

Yay for use of C++11 features in the thread title.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    <TheTitle>

Too ridiculous.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh god now my alerts are huge.

Thanks ethea. I appreciate it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Infidel wrote: »
    Dammit ecco, put more effort into the title if you're going to jump ahead! :P

By exercising the synergy and teamwork of the talented individuals to find the optimal win-win point, going forward we have a new thread title to leverage. *
    * I delegated. **
    ** Copying Ethea (why reinvent the wheel? =P)
    Ethea wrote: »
    auto ProgrammingThread = make_thread< ::pa::page_limit<100>, ::pa::allow_bad_posting_tag >("new ProgrammingThread;");

Just had to trim it a bit.

Edit: Darn it. Beaten so hard by everyone in thread.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oh god now my alerts are huge.

Thanks ethea. I appreciate it.

I love spreading the joy of c++11

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Having long lumped DB Transactions in with mustache programmers wearing pocket protectors and coding bank software, I am pleased to report that they are actually God's gift to our kind and we should be using them always. So much safety and clean-ness!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Having long lumped DB Transactions in with mustache programmers wearing pocket protectors and coding bank software, I am pleased to report that they are actually God's gift to our kind and we should be using them always. So much safety and clean-ness!

MySQL. :rotate:

I need to get :rotate: into Adium when I talk MySQL with my buddy so we can go "MySQL :rotate: " all the time.

Wait, what? Transactions are a nerdy programmer thing? I thought they were a smart programmer thing?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think that's what he said.

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This is me relenting, don't make it worse than it has to be.

With how easy transactions are to use in most frameworks today, I almost consider them essential, except for the simplest of database calls.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Just got back from an interview. They've already said they definitely want to bring me in for another interview. It sounds like I'd basically be taking over leading development of their platform which is Groovy/Grails on the backend and currently has some PHP by way of Joomla but I may be able to get that switched out for DjangoCMS.

Heh, first time I've seen you in here @IcyLiquid

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of IcyLiquid, please, for the love of all that is holy, give us a Clear Draft button right near the reply box (maybe next to Preview Save Draft Post Reply). A lot of times I will type out something, read it over, decide it's not worth posting, but it will have been drafted. Being able to easily click Clear Draft right there would be righteous.

GnomeTank on
    I just adblocked the draft feature completely.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    Speaking of IcyLiquid, please, for the love of all that is holy, give us a Clear Draft button right near the reply box (maybe next to Preview Save Draft Post Reply). A lot of times I will type out something, read it over, decide it's not worth posting, but it will have been drafted. Being able to easily click Clear Draft right there would be righteous.

Its in the works

edited January 2013
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/applications/vanilla/js/autosave.js?v=*

Pop that into addblock

bowen on
    No no, I like Draft, I love it in fact.

I just want it to be quicker and easier to clear a draft, rather than having to go deep in to the menus.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

admanb wrote: »

It's how I keep my posting of stupid, offensive, things at a bare minimum. I read what I'm about to post a couple of times.

I'm mostly just against the random junk I decided not to post regardless of the draft, so all it does is keep shit I didn't intend to post. No reason for me to keep it.

It's how I keep my posting of stupid, offensive, things at a bare minimum. I read what I'm about to post a couple of times.

"All he said was that he likes Java. Do I really need to call him a gibbering cockwaffle?*"

*Not an actual thought.

Don't lie to me.

"All he said was that he likes Java. Do I really need to call him a gibbering cockwaffle?*"

*Not an actual thought.

Perhaps, but this is in fact the thought process I go through.

Maybe I could put a thing in the user preferences per person that says "Keep drafts for [dropdown] days". Deletes them after.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Is this a good thread note that I decided to sit down and start learning Java today but it's syntax is foreign and messing with my poor Python-soaked brain?

Because if it's not, I'm cool with getting laughed at.

I also have this issue with textual communication where I am very strong in the way I word things. In reality, if you actually spoke to me in real life, you'd find much of my harsher words were sarcasm or self deprecating...but in text it just comes off as me being a forceful asshole sometimes.

So yeah, learning to read things I'm about to post has saved me from myself a few times. Not every time, but a few.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Still no word from Lockheed. I sent them an email around noon so hopefully someone figures something out. I'm glad I didn't put in my two weeks when I got the offer letter like I was.

Houn wrote: »
    Is this a good thread note that I decided to sit down and start learning Java today but it's syntax is foreign and messing with my poor Python-soaked brain?

Serious question: Why Java and not C#? C# is going to have more things you're used to from Python, such as lambdas and anonymous functional programming tools.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I agree with GnomeTank, it's not an issue of drafts being saved, it is just a lot more convenient if it was reachable from the post box itself.

Having to go to a different dedicated section is annoying. I often make some crazy drafts from chain quoting posts from across several pages in a thread (citing people in phalla games) and often I get drafts I want to toss.

It would probably be an easy browser script to add but native feature would make sense.

OrokosPA.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I also have this issue with textual communication where I am very strong in the way I word things. In reality, if you actually spoke to me in real life, you'd find much of my harsher words were sarcasm or self deprecating...but in text it just comes off as me being a forceful asshole sometimes.

So yeah, learning to read things I'm about to post has saved me from myself a few times. Not every time, but a few.

I'm the exact same way.
    Maybe I could put a thing in the user preferences per person that says "Keep drafts for [dropdown] days". Deletes them after.

Then you still have the issue that the next time you come to the thread, your previous note is still sitting there. Just hoping you'll press "Post Reply" and let it run free!

@gjaustin I understand, I meant in addition to the inline Clear Draft feature.

Houn wrote: »

Serious question: Why Java and not C#? C# is going to have more things you're used to from Python, such as lambdas and anonymous functional programming tools.

Also it's better in literally* every way.
    Litrally.

This discussion has been closed.