As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IN DEE [CHAT] ABLE

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    man fuck my calculus curriculum so hard. this is fucking bullshit. there is an edition of this book- not international, not quirky, not discontinued, nothing weird just, a straight up edition of this textbook available widely in america- that costs ~$150 and covers all calc 1-3. there is also an abbreviated version that covers only single variable calculus- but of course covers integration.

i bought the textbook my school offered last semester for calc 1 only to find out that it literally doesn't have integral calculus in it. none. it has like, a subchapter on the fundamental theorem of calculus and how it conceptually relates to integration. but otherwise, nothing. no antiderivatives, no definite or indefinite integrals, nothing about forms of substitution, fucking forget any of the other countless advanced topics we'll cover later in the semester.

now they want me to buy the generalized single variable version- for another $100+! are you fucking kidding me! and this again lacks vector calc, should i choose to pursue that at some point... like, WHILE AT THIS SCHOOL.

i know it's against the rules but whatever, i pirated a copy of the broader version. ain't give a fuck. i already paid the suggested msrp of this edition for a book that has literally 1/3rd the content.

seriously fucking criminal robbery. they want you to buy the book that just has section 1, then buy the book that just has sections 1 and 2, then buy the book that has sections 1, 2, and 3 once you're in vector calc. when you could have just bought the third one in the beginning for basically the same price.

goddamned thieves.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    actually closer was that one at the nachspiel after the hulen christmas party but to be fair to her that shouldn't count

I don't like what this implies, Abdhy!

she was drunk and um

mashed my face into her boobs

but being drunk I'm gonna not read too much into it

BuK8dZi.jpg

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    When I took pre-calc the online homework had tutorials and detailed explanations and videos and all sorts of learning tools so you could get to the point where you could do the problem. This chemistry homework is the opposite. You have to do the problem and then it will show you how to do it (how handy!) If you don't already know how to do it, fuck you. Zero points, son.

Beaker.jpg

That's pretty much how I feel except minus the lab coat because I will clearly never be a scientist.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    My position will probably always be "people should be forgiven for things they do drunk" otherwise I should be put down as the stupidest motherfucker around

Well, I mean, if you fall out a window and smash your face, you've kinda instantly paid your debt.

But if you hop in your car and murder a family or something...

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    is the response raven's post got creepy?

I'm drunk so I'm excempt but the rest of ya

does this make you creepy?

Cupid demands a certain amount of sex to occur or else he'll rain love arrows on us without mercy. If none of us are meeting our quota then there's going to be an orgy full of people who should not be attending orgies.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    man fuck my calculus curriculum so hard. this is fucking bullshit. there is an edition of this book- not international, not quirky, not discontinued, nothing weird just, a straight up edition of this textbook available widely in america- that costs ~$150 and covers all calc 1-3. there is also an abbreviated version that covers only single variable calculus- but of course covers integration.

i bought the textbook my school offered last semester for calc 1 only to find out that it literally doesn't have integral calculus in it. none. it has like, a subchapter on the fundamental theorem of calculus and how it conceptually relates to integration. but otherwise, nothing. no antiderivatives, no definite or indefinite integrals, nothing about forms of substitution, fucking forget any of the other countless advanced topics we'll cover later in the semester.

now they want me to buy the generalized single variable version- for another $100+! are you fucking kidding me! and this again lacks vector calc, should i choose to pursue that at some point... like, WHILE AT THIS SCHOOL.

i know it's against the rules but whatever, i pirated a copy of the broader version. ain't give a fuck. i already paid the suggested msrp of this edition for a book that has literally 1/3rd the content.

seriously fucking criminal robbery. they want you to buy the book that just has section 1, then buy the book that just has sections 1 and 2, then buy the book that has sections 1, 2, and 3 once you're in vector calc. when you could have just bought the third one in the beginning for basically the same price.

goddamned thieves.
    Yes, but then you'd have the wrong edition for your later classes, and all the page and problem numbering would be wrong.

Welcome to America!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I had another date with Boy last night.
    I slept over. :l

Why the pipe face? Does he have a collection of severed hands?

Nope! His place is actually awesome and his bed is the best bed. I guess my emoticon should be :) because overall I'm pretty ecstatic about it. We watched three of the best episodes of Doctor Who and talked for like five hours. These are things that girls like.

Boo! Boys only like it when girls put out!*

*boys like to talk to a girl for like five hours, too. That and sleeping in the same bed afterwards makes our tummies feel funny which is not a feeling to be underestimated.

ftOqU21.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    is the response raven's post got creepy?

I'm drunk so I'm excempt but the rest of ya

does this make you creepy?

Cupid demands a certain amount of sex to occur or else he'll rain love arrows on us without mercy. If none of us are meeting our quota then there's going to be an orgy full of people who should not be attending orgies.

I thought I told you to quit reading my dream journal

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    When I took pre-calc the online homework had tutorials and detailed explanations and videos and all sorts of learning tools so you could get to the point where you could do the problem. This chemistry homework is the opposite. You have to do the problem and then it will show you how to do it (how handy!) If you don't already know how to do it, fuck you. Zero points, son.

Beaker.jpg

That's pretty much how I feel except minus the lab coat because I will clearly never be a scientist.

Keep at it, something might click.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    College Textbooking is basically an extortion racket.

It's pretty fucking criminal.

Chanus wrote: »
    My position will probably always be "people should be forgiven for things they do drunk" otherwise I should be put down as the stupidest motherfucker around

Well, I mean, if you fall out a window and smash your face, you've kinda instantly paid your debt.

But if you hop in your car and murder a family or something...

I've never done anything drunk that hurt people other than myself.

Or, well, I guess almost killing myself by falling out of a window and breaking the fall with my face worried a lot of people more than I normally realize

also I threw up on a guy's mac once a long time ago

ftOqU21.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    well obviously don't report if there's an NDA.

Yea just like I didn't report about The Old Republic

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I think I found the shoebox in the sky that I'll want to move into when things thaw. Need to actually take a look at it first, but it's really close to downtown, is in my price range, and doesn't seem freakishly small for a studio and I don't really care about that so long as there's room for a bed, desk, and chair.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    instead of sending me my $1,000 deposit in the mail my former apartment complex sent me a letter saying that they were going to have to replace the carpet for $1,634 and also that I owed them a $200 pet deposit that I'm pretty sure I already paid so and also also that they totally had to clean the kitchen (that I had professionally cleaned) so could I be so kind as to pay them $820 dollars or else I'll get turned over to collections.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    College Textbooking is basically an extortion racket.

It's pretty fucking criminal.

It's cheaper to borrow someone's book and spend an afternoon at Kinko's. I saved $100 doing that with an anatomy workbook in college.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    instead of sending me my $1,000 deposit in the mail my former apartment complex sent me a letter saying that they were going to have to replace the carpet for $1,634 and also that I owed them a $200 pet deposit that I'm pretty sure I already paid so and also also that they totally had to clean the kitchen (that I had professionally cleaned) so could I be so kind as to pay them $820 dollars or else I'll get turned over to collections.

I'm fairly certain replacing carpet is something they have to do on their own.

At least, that's the case in Virginia, I know these things vary.

But sounds like it's time to lawyer up.

edited January 2013
    I think I need to care about myself more.

I don't think "as long as it doesn't hurt anyone but myself it doesn't matter" is a healthy viewpoint on all matters

I mean like, it's useful for like... going to the dentist but yeah

ain't healthy or conducive to good living

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png

I don't think "as long as it doesn't hurt anyone but myself it doesn't matter" isn't a healthy viewpoint on all matters

Well, it's a fine way to live your life if you thoroughly consider what "doesn't hurt anyone" means.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

I don't think "as long as it doesn't hurt anyone but myself it doesn't matter" isn't a healthy viewpoint on all matters

Also I'm a firm believer in you seeking out food sources other than the gas station at the end of the road.

Also stop smoking.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Nah this attitude is fine until you're like 40.

And then you'll pay for it when standing up hurts.

That's my plan.

if people do barely-annoying shit while drunk then i don't care.

but if it's really lame shit, i am forgiving the first few times until it reaches the point where it's like- well, you know you get like this. control your drinking or else it doesn't seem convincing that you're all that interested in stopping that behavior.

Well, it's a fine way to live your life if you thoroughly consider what "doesn't hurt anyone" means.

well yeah but that's assuming a level of influence that thought and reflection has on my actual actions that is just not there

ftOqU21.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    My attitude is depressing

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

I am depressed

well yeah but that's assuming a level of influence that thought and reflection has on my actual actions that is just not there

Go with your original plan, then. The result will be similar :P

my depression has attitude

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

my depression has attitude 8-)

my depression has attitude

My attitude has Magnitude.

tumblr_mgyy3gkACX1r1hfcjo2_500.png

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    18 days until baseball, [chat].

It's almost non-religious white guy Christmas!

Also I'm a firm believer in you seeking out food sources other than the gas station at the end of the road.

Also stop smoking.

I make food from scratch all the time!

My chili is fucking fantastic.

also yeah yeah I know I should.

found out that one girl doesn't mind the smell at all so... that might not expedite the quitting process*

*she may be totally lying and just saying so because she likes me enough to not want to tell me I smell bad

ftOqU21.png
    Pop pop!

edited January 2013

You totally ripped off
    1050792993_resCGRUMPY.JPG

Caveman Paws on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Man, all this sex and I'm not involved.

Grad school had better be full of sexy single ladies that love people of ambiguous gender.

BeNarwhal wrote: »

Nah this attitude is fine until you're like 40.

And then you'll pay for it when standing up hurts.

That's my plan.

the sensation in my right cheekbone is fucked up and occasionally bits of my teeth fall off

ftOqU21.png
    Shivahn wrote: »

Grad school had better be full of sexy single ladies that love people of ambiguous gender.

And how! :D

I am pretty sure my depression transcends time and space

Also stop smoking.

found out that one girl doesn't mind the smell at all so... that might not expedite the quitting process*

*she may be totally lying and just saying so because she likes me enough to not want to tell me I smell bad

Does she smoke? If she doesn't smoke, she's being nice. You should quit and say you did it for her, then say "I wish I knew how to quit you."

In my mind this is a winner.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Shivahn wrote: »

hasn't only one of us gotten ambiguously laid now?

also

yeah, probably

ftOqU21.png

Also stop smoking.

Does she smoke? If she doesn't smoke, she's being nice. You should quit and say you did it for her, then say "I wish I knew how to quit you."

In my mind this is a winner.

That would work?

So I should take up smoking, then quit to impress ladies?

This seems like solid advice

This discussion has been closed.