As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread

sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Graphic Violence
DC Comics - The New 52

Here's the list of ALL of the new 52 titles. They're organized by these loose thematic groupings DC is using:
Justice League: The Justice League is DC's big group of heroes, where Superman and Batman and WONDER WOMAN and others team up against threats they can't fight alone.
Super-Family: Titles about Superman and his various semi-relatives, all of whom are variously Super. (Supergirl and Superboy, especially.)
Batman: Series about Batman, dead Robins, Owls, faces, the number before one, and that's about it.
Green Lantern: Series about interstellar policemen named Green Lanterns who live from event to event.
Young Justice: Just don't read them.
Edge: It's a catch-all category for stuff that just doesn't fit. Usually it involves guns, rich kids, Fucking Threshold, and a big lack of capes.
The Dark: These series have magic, mysticism, actual talent, horror, or some combination of the above. Spooky stuff goes down!

Now, the list has a pretty simple key. The boldd titles are considered especially good, well-received by media critics and the regulars here in the thread. The Italic titles are considered bad.

List!
Justice League:
Justice League
JLA
Aquaman
The Flash
Green Arrow (start at 17)
Katana
Vibe
Wonder Woman
Worlds Finest
Earth 2

Super-Family:
Action Comics
Superboy
Supergirl
Superman

Batman:
Batman
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batwing
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Detective Comics (start at 13)
Nightwing
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Batman Inc
Talon

Green Lantern:
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns

Young Justice:
Teen Titans

Edge:
All-Star Western
The Movement
Stormwatch
Suicide Squad (start at 20)

The Dark:
Justice League Dark
Constantine
Animal Man
Swamp Thing

Phantom Stranger

The titles below have been cancelled, use the same key as above to identify the good and the bad.
Blackhawks
Blue Beetle

Captain Atom
Dial H
DC Universe Presents
Deathstroke
Demon Knights
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
Fury of Firestorm
Grifter
Hawk and Dove

I, Vampire
Justice League International
Legion Lost
Legion of Super-Heroes

Men of War
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Ravagers
Resurrection Man
Savage Hawkman
Static Shock

Sword and Sorcery
Team 7
Threshold
Voodoo
War Stories

However, to keep the new 52 at 52, DC is releasing new titles every few months which pick up some themes from other series or simply add new ideas. They are:
Batman/Superman
The Green Team
Larfleeze
Pandora
Superman:Unchained

Here are the July 2013 solicitations:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-comics-july-2013-solicitations.html

Anyway, I hope this helps - enjoy your reading!

(ps: get Wonder Woman.)

DJ Eebs on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman is the best

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I vampire is being replaced by vibe
    I am insulted

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Everyone and their dog should be reading Wonder Woman
    Also Action Comics

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yay! The thread's back! And yes. Wonder Woman's the best.

The fact that you don't have Earth 2 underlined is insulting though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I underlined them through general word of mouth and some reviews. I hear the occasional good thing about earth 2 but not enough to put it on the best list.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I underlined them through general word of mouth and some reviews. I hear the occasional good thing about earth 2 but not enough to put it on the best list.

Swords at dawn sir. Swords at dawn.

Earth 2 has had some low points but still I would give it a chance as they killed the headliners of DC in the first issue

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I thought I wasn't looking forward to Action Comics after G-Mo left but... I kind of am.

Will this be my ruin
    y/n

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...I was kinda trade-waiting on He'l on Earth but then I saw that Superboy Annual preview. How's it been so far? Should I just bite the bullet and go for it?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    JLA#1 and Vibe #1 seem to be pushed back two weeks to February 20th.

It wouldn't be that big of thing but there's also GL that keeps getting pushed back in the month, which seems to add to the last minute nature of DC right now, since it seems Finch did redeem himself with drawing a year of Dark Knight with only one or two fill-ins.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    So...I was kinda trade-waiting on He'l on Earth but then I saw that Superboy Annual preview. How's it been so far? Should I just bite the bullet and go for it?

It's pretty dumb

Dodson variant for Action Comics #17:

2ev41f7.jpg

If DC could get Dodson on a book again, that would be a big win for them.

Lobdell's Superman has been damn good so far, even if most of it has been the event. It's become a good comic post the writer change. And Rocafort's art is fantastic.
    Supergirl has been decent to really good since the start. Superboy has been non-consistent; sometimes it's great, sometimes it falls completely flat.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Since it crosses over with the other titles (especially Superboy), H'el on Earth really suffers a bit i think (or maybe just Superboy)

I only get Supergirl so I had no idea what was going on since it refered to Superman and Superboy to explain what was going on

Why does baby superman look like a short old man?

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Well, I suppose I'll pick it up later this week. I gotta finish my comic "backlog" first :).

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

don't all babies look like that?

The new Batwoman (#16) re-convinced me it has the best art of DC currently. 90% splash pages that feel like they could be paintings. Got this comic is beautifully epic when the main artist is on board.

When the villians are myths brought to like, it sure doesn't hurt making everything look mythic.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I've really liked all of H'el on Earth so far. I'm pretty into the Superman titles right now.

Great news! Apparantly, there are not one but TWO books that Joshua Fialkov is working on for DC at the moment.
    And then the next stuff I'm working on, a new series, one of my characters gets to come back despite the book being totally unrelated. That's all I can say. [Laughs] It's a lot of in theory right now.

I hope that the characters that we've created and the status quo that now exists in the DCU for vampires bleeds over into the rest of the DCU, which is the most flattering thing that could possibly happen.

That's great. So you can confirm you have some other projects forthcoming from DC Comics?

I have two news series, in theory. Things change so quickly so it's hard to know. I have two books tied to each other. If everything goes as planned, DC is letting me do something that I've always wanted to do that's really ambitious. It's certainly a new kind of storytelling for DC so fingers crossed.

But I really can't talk about them at all. And again, this is all in theory. But they should be announced in a couple of months. Sadly enough, the next month will be a dark month for me at DC -- but in the meanwhile, you can come and check out "Alpha" over at Marvel or "Doctor Who" for IDW. And I think, I don't know when, "The Devilers" for Dynamite should be coming out soon too.

The big question on everyone's mind is: how are DC going to fuck this one up.

I reeeeeaalllly like Simon Baz in the new GL

I like him too, but the terrorist plot feels so unnecessary. It's already been wrapped up and has added nothing to the story or character. Still, it's nice that this arc really scaled things down and just focused on one character rather than an entire team. I really wonder what's going to happen after the third army. Is Johns going to stick with Baz or stick him in corps while he goes back to Hal/Sinestro.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman was great this week. I like Orion. Definitely see an Orion and Diana hook up in the future.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I really love the theme of WW gathering allies because she treats them as family the moment she meets them. None of the JL comics I've read or her appearances in other media really get across how compassionate she is supposed to be.

Quire.jpg
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever loved an entire cast as much as I am with Wonder Woman. Especially Lennox. Hera is also growing on me quickly.

On another note, I'm really hoping that I can get away with just getting the H'el on Earth issues of Superboy/girl. I haven't been keeping up on Superman (save for Action Comics) because of all of that noise, but keeping myself away from the Rocafort goodness is only hurting myself. Nothing against Supergirl. I just haven't jumped on that ship yet, but Superboy is easily the single most uninteresting character in the New 52 to me.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Superboy is really dumb, but Supergirl was headed in a good direction until the H'el stuff

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I really love the theme of WW gathering allies because she treats them as family the moment she meets them. None of the JL comics I've read or her appearances in other media really get across how compassionate she is supposed to be.

Of course the true test of her compassion will be whether or not she forgive and accept her enemies, especially Strife.

Please tell me you are are reading Sword of Sorcery. Because it's fantastic.

God, I love a comic with an intelligent teenaged heroine. One who actually knows when to use guile instead of straight up asskicking. And one who actually has willpower.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular

don't all babies look like that?

No. Babies have a larger head:body size ratio. What that looks like is a 3 year old with an infant's head. Notice the foot poking out at the bottom, so it's not just the blanket/cape making his body look bigger than it actually is.

Keith Giffen might be leaving LoSH after two issues.

He did leave his Superman run with Jurgens before it finished, so this wouldn't be surprising.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    What is the comic where Supergirl and Damian collaborate?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    What is the comic where Supergirl and Damian collaborate?

That would be Superman/Batman #77. Really fun one-shot story.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Nice! I really want to DL it but I promised myself no more comics until the next pay cheque haha. Also what's the story with this Legion of Superheroes book? Is it worth a read?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Tairu wrote: »
    Superboy is really dumb, but Supergirl was headed in a good direction until the H'el stuff

I don't like Supergirl since the new team took over, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the H'el story. The art is definitely not as good.

It looks like my DC pull list is going to be shifting with the creative teams switch up their doing. The only books that I like on their own is Batwoman, Wonder Woman and Flash, which all are keeping their creative teams fortunately.

EDIT: Just finished the current issue of Supergirl and it was pretty good.

Man of the Waves on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So RB Silva is tweeting pictures of some sort of DC project that looks like a JLI relaunch

Booster Gold, Batgirl, Shazam, Hawkman, Red Tornado, Nightwing and Black Canary.

Not a bad lineup

CYpGAPn.png
    Probably JLA artist after the first arc, or fill-in for Finch.

Wait, Silva? I keep getting him and Sandoval mixed up. Either one would be good but Sandoval needs more spotlight than a Catwoman book.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would say that but the line up is completely different from JLA outside of Hawkman

CYpGAPn.png
    Maybe it's a nod to the JLI of the past, how it went from JLA to JLI after the first few issues. Also this is DC changing things at the drop of a hat, so I don't know anymore.

Everyone on the team is American except Booster (sadly), it just doesn't seem international. I'd almost go with Justice League of Batman with that roster.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Maybe it's a nod to the JLI of the past, how it went from JLA to JLI after the first few issues. Also this is DC changing things at the drop of a hat, so I don't know anymore.

Everyone on the team is American except Booster (sadly), it just doesn't seem international. I'd almost go with Justice League of Batman with that roster.

We have the Justice League of Batman already. It's called Batman Incorporated.

This discussion has been closed.