As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NSFW JohnTWM Long Study + More BS

JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Artist's Corner
Well, been awhile since I posted anything. Here is what I have been up to, getting better slowly (at least I hope so).
img0532fz.jpg
img0530eg.jpg
img0529ua.jpg
img0528uy.jpg
img0527wf.jpg
img0526zd.jpg
img0525vh.jpg
img0524ym.jpg
img0523wx.jpg
img0522nf.jpg
img0519ux.jpg
img0518zf.jpg
img0517sc.jpg
img0516wq.jpg
img0515yc.jpg

I feel like I am getting a handle on noses and eyes, but mouths I still mess up real bad if I work without a reference. Also I'm sure there are a host of other problems. If anyone sees anything specific that I should work on and particularly any excercises/tutorials they think would help beyond just the normal keep drawing/draw from life it would be appreciated.

JohnTWM on

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Hey John! I think you are starting to get a feel for form, but your construction of figures and heads is off here and there. Some are better than others, but I think in general if you spent a little more time in the beginning stages, focusing on proportions and lining things up perfectly, your work would improve drastically.

Also try to focus on drawing exactly what you see, not what you think you see. Drawing from life and reference like this is really helpful and healthy, so keep it up!

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    @F87 thanks for the comment.
    So most of these figures were relatively quick, i was shooting for less than five min on each although some definitely ran over time. With this sort of excercise should i spend more time on the set up or do you think it's more beneficial to just keep pushing out as many as possible?

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Well, you can continue pumping out lots of 5 min figures, it will help I'm sure. But I think it would be beneficial if you also did some longer studies.

edited December 2012
    Some quick sketches of my avatar, trying to insert some life/dynamism into my poses.
    doodle12412.jpg
    doodle212412.jpg
    Also some quick expressions. First time attempting these.

JohnTWM on
    Well haven't had much time to draw so no longer studies as of yet, but I did knock out a few pages of quick sketches during breaks. First page of mouths was with reference, then did a second group just trying to generate some expression. Not super happy with either but I think I figured out a few things. Plus some hand doodles sans reference other than occasionally my own.
    img0547ya.jpg
    img0548ka.jpg
    img0550kg.jpg
    img0543yq.jpg
    img0542rbf.jpg

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    You've been drawing a lot. That's really good!

You might need to break up longer studies in to a few different drawing sessions. If you only have a little bit of time, give some gesture studies a shot, if you're consistent they'll improve your figure drawing a lot. There's a useful tool for guesture drawing here.

edited December 2012
    thanks flay ill check those out.
    EDIT: Ok I checked out those links, the gesture site really is a nice resource, with the timed classes and everything. Ran through one of those, these were the result.
    photodec07053533.jpg
    photodec07053604.jpg
    photodec07053631.jpg
    photodec07053656.jpg
    photodec07053807.jpg

JohnTWM on
    edited December 2012
    Ok newest batch, mostly just doodles from class
    First one here is a bunch of iPhone doodles... fun but impossible
    iphonedoodles.png
    img0587hr.jpg
    img0586pj.jpg
    img0585vz.jpg
    img0584sj.jpg
    img0583kw.jpg
    img0581t.jpg
    img0580m.jpg

JohnTWM on
    Lastest Round of Classroom Doodles
    img0590rk.jpg
    img0592sh.jpg
    img0593qy.jpg
    img0595lap.jpg
    img0596jz.jpg

edited December 2012
    Blarg, I really need to do some more reference drawings, a long study if possible but all I have had time for is doodling in class.
    img0604hn.jpg
    img0603nm.jpg
    img0599wx.jpg
    img0598mi.jpg
    I keep either putting the ears too high or making the jaw too long... Looking at stanprokopenko.com (basically the loomis approach) But I keep doing it roughly from memory instead of practicing it when I have access to the materials... derp.

JohnTWM on
    Ok started in on a longer study (finally). This is step one, just trying to block in the forms and the basic shadows. This took about 45 minutes; I was really agonizing over checking to make sure things lined up right (although that isn't to say they did).
    longstudykneel1.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Not much to say man, but it hate it when good work gives uncommented! I think your improvements are fantastic. I also like how in your doodles you're developing a very characteristic style which happens to be extremely charming. Keep it up!

Draw an egg.
    Thanks for the encouragement @Halen
    Ok small update, maybe another 30 mins of work, finished blocking in hands and started adding some basic shadows.
    longstudykneel2.jpg

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    This looks very good so far John.

edited January 2013
    Ok another 1.5 hours spent on this... Not perfect but I think I am done with it. I think, if I am gonna work from ref images, I should find one with fewer and stronger light sources (pref. one). Anyway I feel like I learned some things. If anyone sees anything glaring that I should know about so I can avoid it on the next one give me a heads up. I'm not especially happy with the amount of contrast I got into the image... which seems to be a consistent problem for me. If anyone has some suggestions on specific exercises that might help with that it would be sweet.
    long_study_kneel_3_by_johntwm-d5sw6wk.png

JohnTWM on
    edited January 2013
    Latest round of classroom doodles
    img0647s.jpg
    img0644mh.jpg
    img0643se.jpg
    img0645an.jpg
    img0648oz.jpg
    img0650yp.jpg
    img0636qi.jpg