As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fight Games] Get ready for SoCal Regionals all weekend!

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hmm, perhaps I will try Yang a smidge

Makoto actually made me think of it when I tried her out for about 5 seconds earlier! But then I found the Rindoukan bible and got scared off

I will revisit her and see what's up

and yes it is basically the dandy steps that I love

I will check Dudley out, but all I ever hear is bad thing about him and I think that has soured me on the thought

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yeah man don't play dudley

and obviously i can tell you whatever yang things you need/want to know

but i strongly recommend makoto

lfYVHTd.png
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    The Rindoukan Bible might seem difficult to penetrate at first but honestly it's a good thing to have for a character.

I mean, it's better than trawling the Shoryuken forums for something.

Oh! And you can also use these for Makoto: (Disclaimer: note sure if it's not just the Rindoukan Bible reposted??)

It's the Cross Counter google doc of Makoto Notes

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    What? Play dudley. Tiers are very balanced in ae and you wont get to the level of frustrating matchups for a long ass time

J3qcnBP.png
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    hmm, perhaps I will try Yang a smidge

Makoto actually made me think of it when I tried her out for about 5 seconds earlier! But then I found the Rindoukan bible and got scared off

I will revisit her and see what's up

and yes it is basically the dandy steps that I love

I will check Dudley out, but all I ever hear is bad thing about him and I think that has soured me on the thought

Don't listen to tier blather at this point, play someone you like. Lots of characters have some sort of upper limit or flaw, but it seems to me by the time you hit it you're going to have good general skills.

It doesn't matter if Justin Wong's Dudley would lose to Justin Wong's Rufus when you can't FADC, and you've got to look at your main a LOT.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yang is cooler than dudley!

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I mean like, play whoever

Dan is godlike in sf4 compared to alpha

J3qcnBP.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    no i am saying don't play dudley because i do not think he would like dudley based on what he has told us he DOES like

lfYVHTd.png
    I FUCKING PLAY YANG

lfYVHTd.png
    aw geth, always there for me

lfYVHTd.png
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    yang is cooler than dudley!

Nobody is cooler than dudley except hakaan and fuerte, in that order.

Hakaan is the coolest.

I'm still kinda baffled why Gootecks didn't open up a google doc for every character in the game instead of waiting.

If you're gonna crowd source character info you should probably allow people to source their info for every character and not just one at a time.

Maybe he figured it would be higher quality because they're focused on a single thing?

yang/rose oh no don't play him he's not high tier

lfYVHTd.png
    edited January 2013
    Dudley is also a difficult to pick up character.

Most of his basics aren't exactly simple (neither are Makoto's or Yang's but they're easiER, imo)

And maybe I'm weird but god that is too many target combos to remember.

Huntera on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Play the whole cast to find who you like and learn about each character simultaneously because there are no SF to GG analogues.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I realize that any sort of high-level balance is pretty irrelevant in regard to my play

I had just only heard dislike for Dudley and so already felt biased against him

I'ma check him out, though, at least to have the vaguest idea of what the dude plays like

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    hm

i don't think yang has basics

if you only know the basics of yang i feel like he loses to pretty much the entire cast

it's only when you can command grab, command dash, can consistently go for resets, and can FADC that he even becomes formidable

lfYVHTd.png
    yang wasn't easy in AE and he's a pain in the ass in 2012, i wouldn't recommend him unless you're ready to put in a lot of work with him

lfYVHTd.png
    Oh yeah, I realize that any sort of high-level balance is pretty irrelevant in regard to my play

I had just only heard dislike for Dudley and so already felt biased against him

I'ma check him out, though, at least to have the vaguest idea of what the dude plays like

as far as playing him, when you get going with dudley, you feel like such a fucking boss

jab jab stand roundhouse xx ex machinegun > duck upper blow feels like some badass crazy combo every time and it's your bnb

lfYVHTd.png
    the only thing you need to know about makoto is CHESUTO CHESUTO CHESUTO

Walt wrote: »
    Play the whole cast to find who you like and learn about each character simultaneously because there are no SF to GG analogues.

i say this like all the time but i cannot stress or hammer home enough that one of the reasons I'm as "good" as I am is because my little brother and ran really long extended sets just hitting random over and over

everyone is fun (except bison vega and juri), and it's not like you have some sort of deadline

so fuck around and have fun with us

lfYVHTd.png
    Walt wrote: »

Yeah, I realize that, and I'm sort of doing that now

Someone had mentioned earlier how there were so many characters in AE that there's someone for every play style, so I was just curious as to who everybody would suggest for a "Slayer of Guilty Gear" play style

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    makoto.

lfYVHTd.png
    the problem with SF->GG analogues is that

the way that everything works in GG, from movement to offense to blocking, is so so so drastically different compared to AE

that it's hard to come up with comparison that aren't purely superficial

like there ain't no false roman cancels in AE

there ain't no IADs in AE

etc.

adrian is correct but makoto

lfYVHTd.png
    slayer and yang do have similar hairstyles...

lfYVHTd.png

etc.

Oni can technically IAD if you tiger knee his air dash

But I'm only saying this because I'm a pedant.

ggx2-slayer-01.jpg
    yang-3so.jpg

lfYVHTd.png
    i love all the 3SO art so much

lfYVHTd.png
    Huntera wrote: »

etc.

Oni can technically IAD if you tiger knee his air dash

But I'm only saying this because I'm a pedant.

that kinda owns

oni's cool

yang got on those onitsuka tigers

Onitsuka_Tiger_Mexico66_BrownBeige.jpg

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    goddamit Frawrssssssssssst

Oni actually has a couple combos (super impractical require a focus crumple in the corner and full super) that can use a tiger knee air up dash.

Specifically something like: focus crumple, tiger knee air up dash xx air raging demon.

The air up dash will pop up someone in a focus crumple and is also cancelable into his air demon.

yang got on those onitsuka tigers

Onitsuka_Tiger_Mexico66_BrownBeige.jpg
    i love you more than i know how to express

lfYVHTd.png
    1847542-p-4x.jpg

oh

oh

lfYVHTd.png
    haha god i'm posting some enormous images

but they're full size for me because my monitor is big enough

lfYVHTd.png
    i'm going to buy those shoes.

lfYVHTd.png
    High level Oni play is a really weird vortex of cross ups on the air and the ground, with a few overheads mixed in.

The air cross ups are especially interesting because he can do a vortex that looks like

Is he going to do a jump in normal
    Is he going to air backdash and bait a thing
    Is he going to tatsu in front
    Is he going to tatsu cross up
    Is he going to air dash into a tatsu cross up

It's a laundry list that rarely works but is pretty damn fun to watch if you can play that mind game.

like i can wear the same shoes as yang with a yang colorway you do not know how excited i am right now

lfYVHTd.png
This discussion has been closed.