As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CATGIRL & PSP ON] Brave Story: New Traveler (7/31)

Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Synopsis (Taken from another site):
On a day that starts like any other, a boy’s life is changed forever. As the main character and his friend Miki pass a leisurely afternoon, Miki suddenly collapses from an unknown illness. When the girl shows no sign of waking, the main character grows distraught over not being a better friend and not having the means to save her.

Suddenly, a strange voice offers him a second chance: “Beyond the door you can change your destiny!” He soon leaves the real world and journeys to the world of Vision, where, as a novice “Traveler,” he will surmount myriad ordeals in hopes of ultimately meeting with the Goddess of Fortune to have a single wish granted.

Screenshots:

brave-story-new-traveler-20070725033536525.jpg
Catgirl Goodness

brave-story-new-traveler-20070725033539385.jpg
Classic RPG Gameplay

Features:
  • Traditional turn-based battle system enhanced by innovative features:
Friendship – Form bonds with party members to create new, cooperative skills.
Courage – Use “brave power” (BP) to unleash powerful special abilities.
Growth – The hero’s weapon will evolve as he collects gemstones.
  • New accessories can be forged by collecting and combining materials. Each character can also unlock a one-of-a-kind innate ability.
  • No load time between battles.
  • Beautifully rendered 3D graphics with a distinct visual style, highlighted by polished character and enemy movement, and a unique animation for each special ability.
  • Collect special birds which you can use for mini-games or trade for rare items.
  • Network with friends to trade your birds, or game-share a mini-game to have friends assist in capturing rare birds.

Related Media:

The game is actually based on a book by Japanese author, Miyuki Miyabe. It will be published here in the US on 08/14/07:

Amazon Page

51zNOYrFeyL._SS500_.jpg
Book Cover

There is also a major motion picture (i.e. like Spirited Away) currently released in Japan.

My Thoughts:

The game looks interesting, especially given the fact that there aren't that many "great" RPGs on the PSP right now. The game has gotten decent reviews in Japan and I think that the game's story will be better than the average JRPG story. In fact, some of the stuff I read about the book seems to suggest that the author wrote it to mirror a JRPG or at the very least to be easily translated into a story for a game. Gameplay also seems interesting and the graphics look great for PSP. I'm looking forward to playing this game until Persona 3 and Blue Dragon are released later this month.

Anyone else looking forward to this game?

steam_sig.png
Tw4win on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow. I'm surprised people aren't interested in this game.

I've played for about 30 minutes.

Graphics are great for a PSP and the plot moves along at a fairly brisk pace.

Review from 1UP HERE

They give it a 9/10 and call it the best RPG on the PSP.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It looks amazing. The reviews in so far seem fairly positive so I'm probably gonna pick it up soon.

(What firmware does it use by the way)

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It looks amazing. The reviews in so far seem fairly positive so I'm probably gonna pick it up soon.

(What firmware does it use by the way)

I'm not sure. I'm running 3.51

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was planning to pick this up on the way home today.

I don't know when I'll get around to playing it, but it does look very promising.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    From what I've played it's a pretty cool game. It's not going to revolutionize RPG gameplay but on the other hand it's not strictly "old school" either. The graphics are just as good as anything I've seen on the PSP to date. Possibly approaching the graphics of some PS2 RPGs and the story seems decent. At least the pacing is quick. I haven't felt like I've had to go through an hour of "pre-game" before getting to the actual meat of the game.

Also, load times are pretty small which is good because the game does have random battles.

From what I've read the playtime clocks in somewhere around the 30-40 hour mark which is decent for a portable RPG.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bumping because it may deserve some love. I'm gonna rent this but the reviews and initial impressions all seem to acknowledge that the game really gives off a cookie-cutter RPG vibe at first, but it does everything very well and the localization is very well done -- which reminds me of DQ8, which I adored. My taste in JRPG is very finicky nowadays, as I'm jaded to about 90 percent of most of the genre now, but I'm very curious about Brave Story.

I think another reason it registers zero buzz is because the PSP library is awash in mediocre RPGs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Bumping because it may deserve some love. I'm gonna rent this but the reviews and initial impressions all seem to acknowledge that the game really gives off a cookie-cutter RPG vibe at first, but it does everything very well and the localization is very well done -- which reminds me of DQ8, which I adored. My taste in JRPG is very finicky nowadays, as I'm jaded to about 90 percent of most of the genre now, but I'm very curious about Brave Story.

I think another reason it registers zero buzz is because the PSP library is awash in mediocre RPGs.

Thanks for the bump.

I think it's probably the most polished "classic" JRPG since DQVIII. Combat is pretty straightforward, with the exception of unity attacks which are basically attacks that more than one person can participate in.

Graphics are great.

The story so far (I'm about 2-3 hours in) is mediocre but it's the beginning of the game and the story is based on a book so it's not entirely the game's fault that the story is somewhat cliche.

The game moves not just the plot but also the lack of load times (even using UMD) means that there isn't a lot of waiting around which is good.

Random Battles - they do happen in both dungeons and the world map. However, they aren't too frequent. The game seems to strike the right balance with the random battles. Also, once you enter a dungeon the random battles get a bit harder so you have to really think about what you are doing.

I'd say buy the game, don't rent it. You're not going to be able to finish it in a rental session (it's ~25 hours for the main plot ~30-40 if you do all of the sidequests). From what I've heard most places are only getting 1-2 copies of the game so it could be pretty hard to find after a couple of weeks. I see it being like Puzzle Quest or an Atlus title - not much press but word of mouth will mean the game gets pretty hard to find.

As of right now this is the best standard RPG on the PSP, hands down.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The 1up review really stressed the lack of loading times and overall zippiness of the game (streamlined menus, etc.), which perked my ears. I know you're still early in, but apparently you're the only person on the Internet who has it so far: How do you find the flow of battle so far? The whole three-character, unity-attack thing reminds me of (dare I say it?) Chrono Trigger ... any sort of comparison to the way that game handles? Do you find yourself having to go out of your way to grind?

By "rental" I meant GameFly, so I can take as long or short with it as I want. :) I'm thinking of checking it out for a week and then gauging my interest from there.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone know any sites I could import it from? The couple of US/Canadian sites I know of, don't have it (or just don't have any information on when they're going to have it). I was thinking of picking up both Brave Story and Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I watched a trailer for this, and it looked like thoroughly generic. And brown.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The 1up review really stressed the lack of loading times and overall zippiness of the game (streamlined menus, etc.), which perked my ears. I know you're still early in, but apparently you're the only person on the Internet who has it so far: How do you find the flow of battle so far? The whole three-character, unity-attack thing reminds me of (dare I say it?) Chrono Trigger ... any sort of comparison to the way that game handles? Do you find yourself having to go out of your way to grind?

By "rental" I meant GameFly, so I can take as long or short with it as I want. :) I'm thinking of checking it out for a week and then gauging my interest from there.

Battles are quick and the graphics make them fun to watch. They aren't just "attack, attack, heal, attack" either. Both the unity moves and special individual moves take BP (think skill or magic points). You earn BP by attacking monsters (more if you strike the final blow) so you have to find the right balance between special moves and normal attacks.

Encounters on the over world map are fairly easy but once you enter a dungeon they become harder. You really need to think about how you're going to use your BP. I'm still at the beginning of the game (just killed the first boss) so nothing has been too hard up to this point but I can see where there is potential for things to get difficult.

I haven't done any grinding so far but there was a point when I first entered the dungeon for the first boss where I started to wonder if I needed to level some. My general view on grinding is that very few RPGs actually require it if you play the game the way it's meant to be played. I suspect that if you do sidequests when you encounter them in Brave Story there won't be much need to grind.

By the way, there is a crafting/item making system that allows you to make accessories to improve your stats, etc... It requires finding materials dropped by monsters and then following a recipe. So far it has been optional but I can see where you might need to grind a bit to find the materials you need for complex items.

Sadly, I've never played Chrono Trigger so I'm not sure how it compares.

Zeromus - I wouldn't say that it's generic. Possibly a bit cliche, but not generic.

Bottom line, if you like Dragon Quest you'll probably really, really like this game.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i played through the japanese version and had a lot of fun with it. for me, if battles aren't fun and well-paced (especially random battles), that's a deal breaker for me. and this game does it great. action selection is fast, attack animations are energetic and absolutely gorgeous, and the 'overkill' function will often let you kill two enemies with one attack if theyre a good deal weaker than you.

it might be in direct competition with some of NIS's games, but i cant recommend it enough if you at all enjoy JRPGs.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    i played through the japanese version and had a lot of fun with it. for me, if battles aren't fun and well-paced (especially random battles), that's a deal breaker for me. and this game does it great. action selection is fast, attack animations are energetic and absolutely gorgeous, and the 'overkill' function will often let you kill two enemies with one attack if theyre a good deal weaker than you.

it might be in direct competition with some of NIS's games, but i cant recommend it enough if you at all enjoy JRPGs.

Agreed on battles. I used to really play RPGs for the story and characters but honestly to me now they take a backseat to a fun, challenging battle engine and interesting ways characters level up and build in power. Something like Grandia II or the Materia system from FF7. I can deal with a flimsy/run-of-the-mill plot, so long as it's told well -- the fine line between "cliche" and "classic," I guess.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I forgot to mention the overkill function. Basically there are times when you kill an enemy you are given an extra attack on another foe. I'm not sure how it's calculated because it doesn't happen other times.

Houk - reading your blog you don't seem to know Japanese but were able to play this game? Can you read it and just not speak it?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Houk - reading your blog you don't seem to know Japanese but were able to play this game? Can you read it and just not speak it?
    i can sorta speak it, but i havent done it in forever so im really not comfortable doing so. but yeah, my reading comprehension is pretty good, and i relied on the hint system it has, where the place you have to go next is usually in easily-readable katakana. and most of the attacks were either katakana or recognizable kanji. there were a few times i had to pull a co-worker over to help, but it wasn't too bad for the most part.

i will freely admit that most of the details of the story were lost on me.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i can sorta speak it, but i havent done it in forever so im really not comfortable doing so. but yeah, my reading comprehension is pretty good, and i relied on the hint system it has, where the place you have to go next is usually in easily-readable katakana. and most of the attacks were either katakana or recognizable kanji. there were a few times i had to pull a co-worker over to help, but it wasn't too bad for the most part.

I'm sort of in the same boat with my Japanese. I can read and understand kana fine and I know some Kanji. Unfortunately, do to the nature of the work I do most of the Kanji I know is sort of random - medical terms, manufacturing terms, recently I was able to pick up some words from an "anti- baby shaking" campaign I did the layout for. Anyway, I always thought that using a game to help with my reading comprehension would be fun. Any suggestions for games written in mostly Kana? I think the JPN version of Final Fantasy 1 PSP has a kana only option but I haven't looked into it.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't wait.

This is what PSP is all about.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'm sort of in the same boat with my Japanese. I can read and understand kana fine and I know some Kanji. Unfortunately, do to the nature of the work I do most of the Kanji I know is sort of random - medical terms, manufacturing terms, recently I was able to pick up some words from an "anti- baby shaking" campaign I did the layout for. Anyway, I always thought that using a game to help with my reading comprehension would be fun. Any suggestions for games written in mostly Kana? I think the JPN version of Final Fantasy 1 PSP has a kana only option but I haven't looked into it.
    i dont know of any good games, but i can say to NEVER EVER try and learn from Stella Deus. that game had sooo much freaking kanji, and the text was really hard to read so looking it up was a pain in the ass.

i imagine any games designed for kids, or casual games would be good with either using few kanji or putting the kana above it (what's that called? furigana?).

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

The Pokemon games on the DS are pretty import friendly.

I imported Pokemon Pearl when it first came out, and I was able to at the very least figure out what I needed to do to continue the story.

Everything was Hiragana/Katakana.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i really loved the movie. odd that it hasnt come out here yet. but its great to see that, even without lliscencing credits or tie ins watever, it still stands alone on its own as a good game. and that, is how all movie/book/tv show games should be.

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i really loved the movie. odd that it hasnt come out here yet. but its great to see that, even without lliscencing credits or tie ins watever, it still stands alone on its own as a good game. and that, is how all movie/book/tv show games should be.

Agreed. I suspect I'll be picking up the book when it's released on the 14th...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just picked this game up on a whim (my first PSP game is over a year and a half, no less...hurray for new firmware).

I've only played an hour, but I'd say this is an incredibly solid RPG, regardless of platform. It's not terribly innovative thus far, but it is a good time. And the good visuals/lack of load times make it easy to get into.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

i dont know of any good games, but i can say to NEVER EVER try and learn from Stella Deus. that game had sooo much freaking kanji, and the text was really hard to read so looking it up was a pain in the ass.

i imagine any games designed for kids, or casual games would be good with either using few kanji or putting the kana above it (what's that called? furigana?).

Although it's coming late this month, Wild Arms 5 has furigana in it. In fact, the whole series does.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Don't you fucking die on me! NOT ON MY SHIFT

I just got this sent to me from GameFly after having to wait forever, so I'll be trying this out in a few days. On the plus side, if I decide to keep it it's only $30 from GF, which is pretty keen. I've been hankering for a somewhat old-schooly RPG, so I hope this scratches my itch. Anyone else playing it with updated impressions?

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm still playing - I'd say I'm about halfway through the game but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

I'm at the
    underground lake
    and the game has become a lot more difficult. Monsters seem to become crazed a lot more often. Also, I tried fighting
    the two squid and they kicked my ass.
    I'm not sure if I need to level some (I'm in my mid-20s or if I'm just missing some tactic.

I've found the birdfighting to be somewhat annoying so I've decided to ignore that aspect of the game. I'm not really one for mini-games anyway. In theory I'd like to be done by Wednesday when Persona 3 comes out.

Overall I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game and I'm surprised more people here haven't shown interest in it. By all accounts it's going to be the sleeper hit of the year for the PSP. Let me know what you think when you've spent some time with it.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Brave Story? Cave Story.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So the game actually got good reviews AND it has catgirls. Sure, why not.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw some video of this finally and it looks fantastic, so I think I'm going to pick it up later today if I can find a copy.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got some impressions of it up on my blog. But yea, I quite enjoyed the game.

etoychest on
  • Options
    AsuraAsura Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I finished the game this morning and overall, I thought it was a very good, solid, RPG that to me, was lacking on the PSP.

My only complaints about the game is the enemy encounter rate and the battle system.

My goodness, this game has an absurd enemy encounter rate. It seemed that every 5-10 steps was a battle, which leads to my biggest complaint about the game.

My biggest complaint about this game was that it was to easy because the battle system wasn't very solid and had way to many holes to exploit.

Early on in the game I found myself just slaughtering all the monsters including the bosses with very little worry or effort at all. I won't go into details unless somebody wants me to.

Besides that, solid game. Hopefully we a sequel or another series from the same developer in the future.

PS. The Music in this game, especially the boss battle rocks.

Asura on
    Xbox Live GamerTag: Magik Tek
  • Options
    AsuraAsura Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm still playing - I'd say I'm about halfway through the game but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

I'm at the
    underground lake
    and the game has become a lot more difficult. Monsters seem to become crazed a lot more often. Also, I tried fighting
    the two squid and they kicked my ass.
    I'm not sure if I need to level some (I'm in my mid-20s or if I'm just missing some tactic.

I've found the birdfighting to be somewhat annoying so I've decided to ignore that aspect of the game. I'm not really one for mini-games anyway. In theory I'd like to be done by Wednesday when Persona 3 comes out.

Overall I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game and I'm surprised more people here haven't shown interest in it. By all accounts it's going to be the sleeper hit of the year for the PSP. Let me know what you think when you've spent some time with it.

I didn't bother with the birdfighting either. It's too much of a choir for me.

How exactly do you have your team set up? I found the battle with the
    two squids
    to be very easy by simply
    focusing on one squid at a time with your main character's most powerful Bravua skills, a secondary attacker, and a support character in charge of healing and what not

I think people aren't showing much interest in this game because it's being overshadowed by Tales of Destiny. It's not surprising since people recognize the Tales franchise and would naturally flock toward it.

Asura on
    Xbox Live GamerTag: Magik Tek
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The game is actually based on a book by Japanese author, Miyuki Miyabe. It will be published here in the US on 08/14/07:

Amazon Page

51zNOYrFeyL._SS500_.jpg
    Book Cover

Huh. I got to shelve this book at work on Friday. They labeled it as General Manga, but it's actually a novel. It sounds pretty interesting, a bit less "kiddy" than I was expecting. The main character's father is a deadbeat and his mom attempts suicide, so he goes to this fantasy world to find a goddess of fate. The adventure sounds cliche, but the motivations are pretty dark.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Good to know that the book is actually out now. I've been looking for it since before the game was released but I was confused regarding the release date. It seems like Amazon has been shipping it since the beginning of August but everywhere else lists a 8/14 release date.

eToy - Read your impressions and I mostly agree with them. The only thing that I don't like about the game so far is the bird catching/cockfighting. It just seems tacked on, with no real connection to the main plot of the game. I don't mind mini-games but I do like for them to have some effect on the main plot, even if it's minor...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

Amazon Page

51zNOYrFeyL._SS500_.jpg
    Book Cover

Huh. I got to shelve this book at work on Friday. They labeled it as General Manga, but it's actually a novel. It sounds pretty interesting, a bit less "kiddy" than I was expecting. The main character's father is a deadbeat and his mom attempts suicide, so he goes to this fantasy world to find a goddess of fate. The adventure sounds cliche, but the motivations are pretty dark.

That sounds similar to another recent movie that got developed from a book....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Good to know that the book is actually out now. I've been looking for it since before the game was released but I was confused regarding the release date. It seems like Amazon has been shipping it since the beginning of August but everywhere else lists a 8/14 release date.

eToy - Read your impressions and I mostly agree with them. The only thing that I don't like about the game so far is the bird catching/cockfighting. It just seems tacked on, with no real connection to the main plot of the game. I don't mind mini-games but I do like for them to have some effect on the main plot, even if it's minor...

I actually got wrapped up in the cockfighting for a short while. I'll admit that it is somewhat tacked on, it didn't bother me all that much.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    etoychest wrote: »

I actually got wrapped up in the cockfighting for a short while. I'll admit that it is somewhat tacked on, it didn't bother me all that much.

I was going to say that I enjoy a good cockfight as much as the next guy but then I realized that the statement would end up taken out of context as someone's sig so I thought better of it.

I think once I'm done with the game or at least close to done with the game, I'll spend some more time with the collecting/fighting aspect of the game, especially since you can challenge people over Wifi. Right now I'm just trying to complete the main quest and most of the sidequests. What I'd really like to do is get to the point where you can go back to the older dungeons and get the treasure(s) you couldn't get before.

Also, I'm headed out this afternoon to try and find the book...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The book/movie/manga apparently has different main characters and basic premise than the game, but the worlds are the same.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've got some impressions of it up on my blog. But yea, I quite enjoyed the game.

A great read -- I'm excited to sink my teeth into the game. Your mention of Wild ARMs excites me; at the time, the original WA was just what I wanted and needed on the PS1. Sort of a right place, right time kind of thing -- now I likely wouldn't go back to it, but back then it was manna from heaven.

I got it from GameFly last night but only got to "play" about 10 minutes of it so far. The only observation I have so far is that the character models are really pretty.

Lunker on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I picked this up the other day and played a little ways into it. It's really impressive for a PSP title. The graphics are really smooth and the non-existent load times had me giddy. I'm used to clunky PSP games, and this one is really slick.

Now, if I can just tear myself away from the Bioshock demo and play this a little more...

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited August 2007

A great read -- I'm excited to sink my teeth into the game. Your mention of Wild ARMs excites me; at the time, the original WA was just what I wanted and needed on the PS1. Sort of a right place, right time kind of thing -- now I likely wouldn't go back to it, but back then it was manna from heaven.

I got it from GameFly last night but only got to "play" about 10 minutes of it so far. The only observation I have so far is that the character models are really pretty.

Funny you mention my mention of Wild Arms. I have been playing Wild Arms 5 for a few weeks now, and have a blog going up in the next day or two on the current state of Filgaia. As for the original, you should consider visiting Alter Code F. Not a perfect game, but it's a good remake.

etoychest on