As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Been trying to make a porftolio, so here to show my stuff

WarponyWarpony Too small.The MoonRegistered User regular
I don't draw much realistic stuff, often opting for cartoony stuff instead. I've been trying to work better with inking, so I hope it is going the way I want to improve.

A very simple sketch of Batman

batman1.jpg

And a Dragon I drew for someone

dragonclopperela.jpg

Felt nostalgic, therefore I sketched Q*Bert as well

qbert.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    You should probably do some more "realistic stuff" if you want to get better at the cartoony stuff. You will only learn how to simplify if you first learn the basics of what it is you're simplifying, does that make sense?

• Options
    WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Yes it does. I will just need to be inspired to do so.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Inspiration won't cut it in the long run. If you want to be a pro some day, you have to think of it like a pro. That it's a job, with a certain number of hours you have to get in every day, every week. Maybe at this stage, an hour or two every day is enough. You don't have to run yourself ragged. But constant effort over time is the key to success, even when you don't feel like it, or you're sleepy or sick or whatever, put in some work. You'll get better, faster, I guarantee it.

As for specific advice, right now your inking needs a little work in terms of line quality and thickness. On the dragon in particular, the line seems to get thicker pretty much at random. A good rule of thumb is that lines on the outside of a character should be thicker than the lines on the inside. Also thicker lines at curves and corners (elbows, cheekbones, jawlines, stuff like that).

Start to think about light. Light and shadow is one of the most important and fundamental keys to being a good artist. You can create shadow with lines or with tones (markers or something similar). Look at this month's enrichment exercise, it could be helpful in that regard, doubly so because it also focuses on basic shapes.

I hope you keep at it, good luck.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Yeah. I've found that one of the most valuable things as an artist, is the ability to produce even though you lack inspiration. If you sit around waiting for inspiration, you can wait for a loooong time mate.

• Options
    WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Cool ,thank guys