As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A boy's best friend is his [Film Thread]

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Beach was one of the first date movies my now wife and I went to. I, uh, don't remember much of the movie.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Watched Beasts of the Southern Wilds last night. Not sure how I feel about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I wanted to like Miami Connection, I really did, but outside of nostalgia, some amazing music(really the highlight), and some of the fight scenes, it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

It takes effort to find actors that astonishingly bad.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I thought it was beautiful and well-acted, but it was also intellectually shallow. No complexity or subtlety to its treatment of its impoverished but independent community.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I wanted to like Miami Connection, I really did, but outside of nostalgia, some amazing music(really the highlight), and some of the fight scenes, it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

It takes effort to find actors that astonishingly bad.

The thing about films that are so bad that they're good

is that they're also still quite bad.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I thought it was beautiful and well-acted, but it was also intellectually shallow. No complexity or subtlety to its treatment of its impoverished but independent community.

That is a really good way to put it.

Like it's trying to appear deep and thoughtful but it's all very superficial.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The best part of the beach is how to do the movie they ruined the beach they were shooting on. It was very meta.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Can't Hardly Wait was on Encore HD. I have to admit, its probably the best of those movies from that time. I really shouldn't like it given my movie tastes, but I can't help it. Its a much better movie than it should have been.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    The Beach was one of the first date movies my now wife and I went to. I, uh, don't remember much of the movie.

That is probably for the best.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    So I watched Seven Psychopaths lately and when they're round the fire, was it me or did Rockwell briefly slip into a Jack Nicholson impression?

Also, "this movie has layers" "layers? like a pie?", I keep seeing Christopher saying this in the Sopranos for some reason.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Verhoeven is under-rated. Movies like Robocop and Starship Troopers are fantastic.

Ehh, having watched Starship Troopers again recently (after an extended discussion in this thread), it really isn't that fantastic.

It's about 15 minutes of social commentary, mixed with 30 minutes of a CW drama, and 60 minutes of senseless violence.

Verhoeven's movies can be fun to watch, but I would consider anything that actually happens in his movies that is satirical or clever in any way to be completely coincidental.

During the Starship Troopers commentary he talks about how he read the first few pages of Starship Troopers, thought it was very/too pro-fascism and stopped reading. So as a result you get "Look at how brutal this fascist-run world is and how everyone dies and there's propaganda!" Iinstead of anything like the source material. Yes, you remember the horrors of WW2. That's great. Instead of crapping all over an IP, why not make a different movie then?

(it is still fun to watch, but his viewpoints and directorial ability are less than stellar. I think he just stumbles across scripts with decent movie ideas that are hard to completely foul-up)

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The thing about films that are so bad that they're good

is that they're also still quite bad.

this is the wisest thing I have read in many a moon and is why I gave up on "ironic" enjoyment as a thing after my mid-twenties

rRwz9.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Last Stand, it's enjoyable and worth a weekend viewing but could have been a lot better without Ahnald (who seems to have regressed in his english pronunciation). It's a very by the book action film that probably had half its budget furnished by GM with how much product placement they had, and while I was expecting something big from Kim Jeewoon, it's not here, maybe the final chase really stands out. Compared to the direction work of Tale of Two Sisters, I Saw the Devil, and The Good, the Bad, the Weird, which really raised the level of the films, this was just an enjoyable action film where he didn't really put in any extra detail. Maybe it's because he was just the director, not the writer like on the other films. The writing in the film is pretty bad, with lots of exposition dumps that are out of the blue (we're told a drunk guy had it all and blew his future away in a very convenient scene to set up his love interest), and some of the action scenes really break disbelief because of physics, there's greenscreens a lot for the car stuff and they use a lot of the CGI blood, so it hampers what should have been a better film, a modern day western shootout.

But I want to get back to Ahanld. Everyone in the film does a good job acting. Luis Guzman kicks butt, Knoxville is good and limited in his crazy guy role, Sif from Thor is here and she's good as the supporting action chick, Harry Dean Stanton has a short role, and Whittaker has fun being pissed off. But with Ahnald, much like in Expendables 2, there are parts where the film wink winks at the audience and seeing 60 year old Ahnald try and act like he's still got it, nah dude, nah. A Timothy Olyphant or Karl Urban would have been better.

In terms of recent action films, see Dredd first, but you have a rainy weekend and this shows up to rent or stream, give it a go. That should probably be in a month with how poorly it did at the box office (and it isn't even a gun thing, it was just poorly marketed).

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Arnold has had a voice coach for decades now to help him retain his accent.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And by voice coach you mean copies of the conan movies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Have you ever heard his commentary track for the Conan movies?

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    That show 1600 Penn had a decent quick line about Arnold's accent. It was basically crammed with a bunch of other jokes that fell flat but it was "Why doesn't arnold sound like any other austrian!?!"

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    That show 1600 Penn had a decent quick line about Arnold's accent. It was basically crammed with a bunch of other jokes that fell flat but it was "Why doesn't arnold sound like any other austrian!?!"

I actually really liked the most recent episode. I know it's going to die but I think it was finally getting it's attitude.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    My favorite part of The Beach is the Crash Bandicoot-esque 1st-person video game segment, and by favorite I mean it was awful.

My actual favorite part of The Beach is the beginning, because you could have spun a good story out of the first third or so, but then they didn't.

Oh definite, the look on Leo's face during that scene is hilarious. I feel like there's a good movie in there that's just not struggling hard enough to shine through.

So I just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild and while good and enjoyable/depressing I think I missed the point. That said the little girl and the father did amazing jobs. Best Actress nomination completely justified and I typically hate child actors.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just saw The Big Gun Down with Lee Van Cleef.
    Holy shit that was good. The writing was great and Cuchillo was so well done. The guy was like Fletch, but a bigger ass hole.
    Oh and a great Ennio Morricone score.

If you're a fan of westerns you need to pick this up.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Holy shit that was good. The writing was great and Cuchillo was so well done. The guy was like Fletch, but a bigger ass hole.

Sollima's Westerns are all pretty good but the sequel to The Big Gun Down doesn't have Lee Van Cleef in it. One thing to check is which version you watched. The uncut version is 110 minutes or so, and the American cut is 80, I think.

Just finished Iron Sky and it was almost as good as I had hoped. The writing took a little getting used to (since its, um, poorish) and the ending was dumb and the inclusion of a certain character was pretty ugh until the last half.

Favorite scene?
    North Korea taking credit for the Nazi spaceships and everyone laughing at them.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I ended up watching The Notebook (my defense: I've made my girlfriend watch films that she ended up hating, so this was for balance's sake... also, Ryan Gosling), so I probably deserve what I got - but, boy, I can't remember any other film I've watched recently that made me this angry. What a cynical pile of goose shit with a toxic view of romance. Bleh, bleh, bleh.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Holy fuck The Stoned Age might have the single best line possibly ever - "We're going to fuck them doggy style and shit on their parents beds!"

Like what

Amazing

Thomamelas wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Sollima's Westerns are all pretty good but the sequel to The Big Gun Down doesn't have Lee Van Cleef in it. One thing to check is which version you watched. The uncut version is 110 minutes or so, and the American cut is 80, I think.

The full version. Unfortunately that meant every other sentence was Italian.

still, more then worth it.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Butter was pretty good.

I'll write more about it later.

Lh96QHG.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Rewatched The Game. The sense of "reality is tilting" is pretty amazing in the early part of the movie. The second half where it becomes a more 'straightforward' con/conspiracy movie is not as good. And then the ending is just garbage.
    WHY IS HE HAPPY ABOUT THIS? He can never trust ANY of his friends ever again! He will have PTSD from multiple incidents. And worst of all, after struggling against the specter of his suicidal father his whole life, he finally found out, definitively, that he has that kamikaze in him too. THANKS BRO, YOU FUCK.

Oh and it completely takes a shit on the concept of 'suspension of disbelief'. Probably the only way it's redeemable is that it brings back the feeling of "not possible" when he enters the 'actor's lounge' or whatever you want to call it.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    They did a study where they showed one group of people a romantic comedy and a control group a David Lynch movie, and apparently they found that the group who watched the romance movie was less successful romantically.

I'd like a follow up study to determine if people who watch David Lynch movies are more likely to develop schizophrenia

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh man Movie 43 is getting destroyed by both critics AND movie goers. No one seemed to give two shits about it either since it only made 5 million. Hansel and Gretal made near 20 which makes it the highest grossing film last weekend.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    What's up with Movie 43 anyway? It seemed super weird that they got so much talent into what looks like a b grade spoof dare I say comedy.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I was considering going to see H&G due to it being R rated but common sense and a nasty sinus infection made me come to my senses.

I will be seeing Bullet to the Head next week though.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    emp123 wrote: »
    What's up with Movie 43 anyway? It seemed super weird that they got so much talent into what looks like a b grade spoof dare I say comedy.

looks like they just went "come on the set for one day and have a bunch of money. You can keep all the sandwiches you can fit in your pockets."

You'd be surprised how many actors say yes to jobs that don't require a lot a long commute and involves hanging out.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ooh I saw Chasing Ice today

It was really really good. Come for the sick photography. Stay for awesome icebergs falling into the sea.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    I will be seeing Bullet to the Head next week though.

I kind of want to see this now too. If anything, Stallone doesn't seem so terribly out of place in his old age compared to Arnold. Plastic surgery and arm tattoos and crazy pens, sure.

Hopefully with how the year has progressed so far, Last Stand < Bullet to the Head < A Good Day to Die Hard.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The wife and I were talking about the Farrellys' career today in the car (yeah, we're like that), and we came to the agreement that the only real success the Farrellys can claim is Dumb & Dumber, and even that is mostly due to the outstanding chemistry between Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels. Seriously, that movie lives and dies on the two of them and their line deliveries. We found that just about anyone can name any number of memorable parts in that film, but almost all of them have to do with a performance piece from Carrey or Daniels or both. Very little in the film is actually "funny," it's mostly just how those two guys elevate the material.

Contrast that against the Farrellys' only other financial success, Something About Mary, and the difference is stark. What do people remember about that movie? It's not jokes, it's not dialogue, and it's not performances. It's a wad of semen in Cameron Diaz' hair. It's Ben Stiller zipping his nuts into his pants. It's those horrible, leathery old tits. You look at this film and then you look at just about any other Farrelly Bros. production and you see that these guys are stuck in a very outmoded notion of comedy, where humor is basically vaudevillian pratfalls and gags. The Farrellys take this to an even higher, Seth McFarlane-esque level where the gags aren't even all that connected, they're just the next thing that happens on-screen. To take a page from Trey Parker's writing manual no-nos, the Farrellys start every sentence of the plot with, ". . . And then." It's absurdism, but an aimless, desperate absurdism that throws anything and everything at the wall, practically begging hat-in-hand for a laugh. Hell, Something About Mary prominently features a mentally-handicapped person as the butt of many jokes. Ha ha. Funny. Look at the retarded cripple. It wasn't any more funny when they went back to the well years later with The Ringer.

Which finds us here with Movie 43, a film that currently enjoys a 5% rating on RT, with reviews acting as a greatest hits ticksheet of the Farrelly's worst and least funny impulses -- juvenile hypergonadism and absurdist raunch. Because bad jokes about genitals and body fluids are funnier than any other kind of bad joke, I suppose they feel.

The Farrellys' next (and hopefully last, honestly) movie is the Hail Mary of Dumb and Dumber To, reteaming Carrey and Daniels to hopefully regin the success they all once shared, however unearned.

edited January 2013
    Hey now, Kingpin was much loved when it came out, and still retains the funny.

I actually prefer Kingpin over D&D.

TexiKen on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Kingpin is probably their second most successfully written film after D&D, with nothing else coming in third. It's got a surprising amount of heart, and the jokes mesh together along a basic skeletal outline.

It's also got plenty of jokes about drugged rape, cunnilingus on a decrepit old woman, and (again) semen. Just so you don't accidentally expect a wholly worthwhile film, I reckon.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/eIZTMVNBjc4

also nominated for best original song, which I didn't like much

the score is great tho

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I was actually looking up the Farrelly's filmography to see if there was anything in there worth defending. I spotted "Osmosis Jones" and was about to post that I had a fondness for that movie when I was younger, until I looked closely and saw that they were responsible for directing only the live-action scenes in that movie, which even as a kid I hated because they were gross and unfunny ("ha ha, Bill Murray threw up!" ugh).

So, yeah. Pretty accurate really, Ross.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Kingpin is still great, and the Three Stooges movie wasn't bad, just pointless.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Kingpin is probably their second most successfully written film after D&D, with nothing else coming in third. It's got a surprising amount of heart, and the jokes mesh together along a basic skeletal outline.

It's also got plenty of jokes about drugged rape, cunnilingus on a decrepit old woman, and (again) semen. Just so you don't accidentally expect a wholly worthwhile film, I reckon.

I've enjoyed a few of their films, but they all have the problem that you mentioned, literally all the fun is from the actors being funny themselves. And funny actors doing bad jokes gets old really fast. Which might be the reason none of them star in more than one of their films (aside from Jim Carrey).

This discussion has been closed.