As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - The thread is going down! Abandon thread, abandon thread!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Man, you guys are making me sentimental. I too remember when AMD was fo' rizzle (if you will).

I remember building my 6x86 machine. With OS/2.

Oh yea.

I'm building a new computer soonish. Going to have to post a shopping list in here and get expert opinions, but it seems like the i5 3570 is the way to go?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @a5ehren Yes, they're XP and I'm pretty sure all but two don't even have SP2 on them. That said, the computers that have customer information are not connected to the internet (as far as I know), so there isn't much of a cyber security risk there. I kind of wish we'd just buy a bunch of W8 licenses while they're still $39 so we'd have them when and if we ever get new computers.

If I had my way we'd all be running on a mix of i5's and i7's with SSD's, a terabyte of storage, at least 8gb of ram, 24"-30" IPS displays, and have a central server so our two locations could easily share information between each other. I'd overbuild as much as I could within reason because we'd probably keep these computers for 10 years or so D:

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Man, you guys are making me sentimental. I too remember when AMD was fo' rizzle (if you will).

Oh yea.

I'm building a new computer soonish. Going to have to post a shopping list in here and get expert opinions, but it seems like the i5 3570 is the way to go?

Depends on your needs, but if you're looking to over clock then it's the best option around.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Lots of force installing a CPU? let me tell you about the latch on the old socket A amd chips....

Virgin PCI ports on cheap motherboards were frightening as the mobo warped when I put 180 lbs of weight just to get it to seat.

Now that's fucking frightening.

Want to see scary?
    This here's some crazy.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Lots of force installing a CPU? let me tell you about the latch on the old socket A amd chips....

Virgin PCI ports on cheap motherboards were frightening as the mobo warped when I put 180 lbs of weight just to get it to seat.

Now that's fucking frightening.

Want to see scary?
    This here's some crazy.
    One might even say it's

Cray Cray

• Options

Oh yea.

Depends on your needs, but if you're looking to over clock then it's the best option around.

I'll never overclock, just looking for the best bang for my buck. It sounded like the i5 was the best just all around for folks, but I haven't built a computer in a few years.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

Oh yea.

I'll never overclock, just looking for the best bang for my buck. It sounded like the i5 was the best just all around for folks, but I haven't built a computer in a few years.

If you want 4 cores, an i5 is the best chip for it. The 3570 isn't necessarily the best buy, though. You can save a bit going for a lower end i5, and you'd probably never notice unless you do really compute-intensive tasks. In general, even the i3s are perfectly solid for most gaming and general usage stuff. What exactly you want really depends on how much you plan to spend, and what your usage is like.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    The difference between a 3570k and a normal 3570 is $15 normally, and NewEgg has a $10 gift card on it atm (though it'd be a NewEgg gift card iirc). The difference now is $5.00. In the event that you ever do decide to overclock (and there's really no reason not to), $5.00 isn't an amazingly high price to pay for it. I don't know how tight your budget is, but it can't possibly be that tight.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i think if you aren't looking to OC it makes more sense to drop down from the 3570 to one of the cheap i5s, because yeah the k just doesn't cost enough more than the normal 3570 to not go for it

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Finally be able to order my parts on Thursday!

Rethinking the mobo though. Got the Asus P8Z77-V Pro planned right now but not sure if paying the extra 50 quid over the regular P8Z77 or the similar priced (£80-£100) ASRock or Gigabyte.

Gonna be overclocking the CPU a bit but nothing more than that. Will be running a 670 and might SLI in a year or so but not now. Is it worth it or should I just grab a cheaper alternative?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    And she's finally done!

Got my RMA'd RAM sorted, and have pics to share.

Good stuff:
    IMG_20130110_180916.jpg
    IMG_20130126_142109.jpg
    IMG_20130126_143851.jpg

So that was my best attempt at cable management, hopefully I shouldn't need to touch it until I have to.

Hardware:
    Intel Core i5 3570K
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Gigabyte GF GTX670
    Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
    Crucial M4 256GB
    CM Storm Enforcer
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    Hyper 212EVO
    Seasonic M12ii 620 Watt

Thoughts on 27" monitor:
    Came in pretty much flawless, delivered to my doorstep 3 days after placing the order. So far, it's absolutely fantastic. The only issue is that the stand is a little bit wobbly, so i'm thinking of picking up a VESA stand for it pretty soon.

Took about 2 hours all in all, including cable management, and the rest of the day will be spent overclocking the processor and the graphics card. Fingers crossed that I don't set anything on fire.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It looks like you did a pretty snazzy job with the cables there, well done.

If you want to piss off those HDD cages for vastly improved airflow (and slightly reduced noise) from your front two intake fans, you can just velcro your SSD into the bottom 5.25 drive bay, and get a 5.25-3.5 adapter to put the platter drive in the slot above the SSD.

Good news on the monitor, too!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Finally getting to putting together a computer to replace my college laptop.

Case Fractal Design R4
    Board Link
    CPU i5-3570k
    GPU 660Ti
    RAM 8 GB
    PSU 500W Silverstone
    HDD 2 TB 7200 RPM
    DVD-RW Link

This totals out to about $910 atm, and I really don't want go much higher. (I still have to tack on a monitor since my current machine's a laptop) If there's anything I can do to improve performance beyond this without spending too much, please tell me.

I'm not sold on the utility of an SSD, but I can always slot one in later if I want to.

I'm mainly concerned about whether I've checked every possible compatibility issue - it looked like there were a couple different arrangements for power pins on motherboards, so I think I got that fine, the CPU socket is matching... anything else? (First build - I've worked inside my computers before, but never put one together from parts, just upgrading and such)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    You want to spend that much on a case? You can get decent ones for under $100

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I really like my R3, but if you have to cut costs somewhere...

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't need to cut costs, per se - I just don't want the price to go up much. My concerns are, in order: 1) That I haven't made some mistake with part compatibility and 2) That there isn't something I'm missing that would give a noticeable boost for only a little more.

That said, I found the same case in black at Microcenter for $20 less, so some money saved.

I'm now starting to get paranoid about the case size being large enough. Any rule of thumb for that? I may go with this instead, since its slightly larger.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Man, anyone know why my HDMI-out (Mini-HDMI adapter --> HDMI cable) is kinda laggy?

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    That case is plenty big.

Your biggest concern with smaller cases are:
    Will it fit my motherboard? (The R4 does as it supports micro ATX, ATX, and ITX),
    Will it fit my GPU? (You're fine here, also. With the drive cages in place, the R4 can accomidate 290mms, or 11.4 inches. The 660Ti is only 9.5)
    Does it have the number of expansion slots I need? (You aren't turning it into a NAS, so you're more than covered here.)

Pirusu on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    @Polaritie Did you factor in the OS or do you already have a copy of windows to use?

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ultimakay wrote: »
    @Polaritie Did you factor in the OS or do you already have a copy of windows to use?

It's not factored in, that's the budget on the tower - the rest I'm not worried about.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    The OS mention got me thinking... I have a couple Win 7 licenses already (one for this computer, one for my wife's), but I'll need one for the new computer. This old system I'm planning on putting in the living room as a streaming box/big picture gaming machine. For a TV since it's farther away, would the Win8 desktop be kind of helpful?

• Options
    The R3/R4 are pretty massive mid towers, pretty long and wide. President build it was concerned about stuff fitting, but during the building I was worried about cables reaching.

• Options
    The OS mention got me thinking... I have a couple Win 7 licenses already (one for this computer, one for my wife's), but I'll need one for the new computer. This old system I'm planning on putting in the living room as a streaming box/big picture gaming machine. For a TV since it's farther away, would the Win8 desktop be kind of helpful?

Windows 8 has been wonderful on a HTPC. I can make my most commonly used programs or shortcuts to networked folders tiles on the home screen for easy access. It also boots in about 15 seconds, so by the time my Harmony has turned everything on to the right inputs I'm already at the home screen.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    The R3/R4 are pretty massive mid towers, pretty long and wide. President build it was concerned about stuff fitting, but during the building I was worried about cables reaching.

President build? Can't parse that one.

How much reach issue - can't reach connector at all, or just can't push it behind the board?

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

President build? Can't parse that one.

How much reach issue - can't reach connector at all, or just can't push it behind the board?

Yeah, that should be pre-build, stupid auto-correct.

I was able to get everything connected, but the case is big enough/my cables were too short to route cables as I would have liked (but its still routed pretty well).

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »

Windows 8 has been wonderful on a HTPC. I can make my most commonly used programs or shortcuts to networked folders tiles on the home screen for easy access. It also boots in about 15 seconds, so by the time my Harmony has turned everything on to the right inputs I'm already at the home screen.

Out of curiosity, does the Home Screen accept any kind of remote control input? Because that would be awesome, if it did. I might be able to get knock together an HTPC my parents can use if that's the case.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Out of curiosity, does the Home Screen accept any kind of remote control input? Because that would be awesome, if it did. I might be able to get knock together an HTPC my parents can use if that's the case.

Perhaps a Bluetooth receiver could be used with a PS3 remote and some pre-programmed macros?

• Options

It's annoying that 8-pin CPU power extensions are an obscure enough product that not even my local TigerDirect/CompUSA has them. They did have 3-pin fan extensions, though, which was nice.

Btw, if I wanted to slap a second 120mm fan on my Hyper212 for a push-pull, how would I go about tying them both to a single CPU fan header? Is there some kind of Y-splitter for that sorta thing? I just want them both to register as a single CPU fan.

• Options
    Do pantyhose actually work well as a dust filter? And will I be fine tearing them up and taping the mover my P280's existing front fan filter? The one on the P280 is really kind of a plastic mesh seemingly to catch larger particles; the dust in my room and house is mostly a very fine white soot, almost.

• Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    It looks like you did a pretty snazzy job with the cables there, well done.

If you want to piss off those HDD cages for vastly improved airflow (and slightly reduced noise) from your front two intake fans, you can just velcro your SSD into the bottom 5.25 drive bay, and get a 5.25-3.5 adapter to put the platter drive in the slot above the SSD.

Good news on the monitor, too!

Thanks! I'm tempted to rip out the cages soon, but working on getting stable overclocks first. Super annoying issues happening that I can't resolve on first look. Time to read more and figure out whats up, I guess.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options

I'm going to assume there is someway to, but I use a Levnovo N5902 mini keyboard/mouse to control the PC. I would like something more 'remote like' for controlling XBMC but the N5902 has been fine.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »

It's annoying that 8-pin CPU power extensions are an obscure enough product that not even my local TigerDirect/CompUSA has them. They did have 3-pin fan extensions, though, which was nice.

Btw, if I wanted to slap a second 120mm fan on my Hyper212 for a push-pull, how would I go about tying them both to a single CPU fan header? Is there some kind of Y-splitter for that sorta thing? I just want them both to register as a single CPU fan.

Use something like this

thats a 4 pin since the stock fan on the hyper212 is 4pin. if you want 3pin this one should do the trick

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

I'm going to assume there is someway to, but I use a Levnovo N5902 mini keyboard/mouse to control the PC. I would like something more 'remote like' for controlling XBMC but the N5902 has been fine.

You can fully navigate the start screen with a keyboard, so I'm assuming a media center compatible remote should be able to be mapped to all the basic functions. I haven't upgraded my HTPC to Win8 yet to test, though.

• Options
    I don't think I've been able to control the home screen with my 360 controlled, but I can try when I get home.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've been able to control the home screen with my 360 controlled, but I can try when I get home.
    At least just having a 360 pad plugged in doesn't do anything. I just poked at mine and it couldn't do anything. Might be possible with more fiddling?

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    edit: nevermind, spent the last hour pouring over benchmarks and decided on a card.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What's the best $~230 ish video card that can handle high for bf3+?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    7870s fall right around that price point. You may be able to get a 660ti down there on rebate and sale, or if you don't mind an older card you could go with a 570.

660ti if you can get one that cheap or a 7870 have my vote

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thanks, yeah, it was between those cards for me. Which one performs better, the 660ti?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yes, specifically in bf3 the 660ti is definitely better.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.