As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. Namco Bandai pretty much screwed up getting a Wizard's Edition of this. The thing goes for $399 on Ebay. Something needs to be done about the scalpers.

Namco looked into it. The scalpers bought it legitimately.

I think that's an oxymoron.

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Why did they change Sherry's name to Myrtle? I find the name changes dumb anyway because they add absolutely nothing, but Myrtle is a really weird name to change it to. Who thinks of the name Myrtle?

Note: Post not meant to offend anybody named Myrtle.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'm getting pretty seriously tempted to pre-order this. I guess that's the one advantage to having my main account in the last place to ever get things in that I still have 2 days to pre-order the digital version. I have the DS version, but it sounds like the writing is packed with a whole bunch of charm that I'd miss trying to play in Japanese.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I love the naivete and the tone. It's actually refreshing, and it meshes really well with the whole "let's go on an adventure" theme. This is the feeling Miyamoto describes when talking about creating Zelda.
    The superficial lightheartedness is not to be confused with childshness. There are some pretty dark themes running below it, and they're treated with due gravity.

One thing I love is how POLITE Oliver is all the time. It's heartwarming. The little heartbreak quests are amazing too, I feel really good playing this.

And I didn't mind how long it took until I got to tame familiars... It feels a natural progression when taken inside the Story's context. I also have mastered each previous skill quite decently when I got to that point. The pacing is really consistent between plot and gameplay.

Finally, the Trial of Friendship was really cool.

I really like the tone and I don't have much issue with the pacing.

But the
    Great Sage

kind of pissed me off. Hard to explain.

It's not a big deal. It was a blip and I'm past that section, but I really felt like it was a complete dip in quality and a bizarre tonal shift.

I don't know, the Sage seemed pretty much in keeping with Ghibli tone. I'm reminded of the witch from Spirited Away and how cruel she was, never passing up a chance to insult someone, and yet the child main character was nothing but polite in response. It didn't faze me at all.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Think I'm going to go crazy trying to tame Dinoceros. I must have killed at least 20-30 of them already. I suppose the rest of my guys are at least getting grinded a bit.

If I can get Dino and one of those ice witch ladies, then I think I'll have my final team.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Think I'm going to go crazy trying to tame Dinoceros. I must have killed at least 20-30 of them already. I suppose the rest of my guys are at least getting grinded a bit.

If I can get Dino and one of those ice witch ladies, then I think I'll have my final team.

I fought one Ice Witch so far. . .shes waiting in the Retreat - :o

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    man everything that happens on teeheeti is just great. smiley & surly 4 life.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    In regards to the AI, am I better off loading Esther and Swaine up with defensive/healing pokemon and letting Ollie-boy and Mitey Mite do all the heavy lifting? Swaine isn't -as- terrible by the virtue of the familiars he has now are pretty beefy with low cost skills. Esther is the real problem here. She is absolutely terrible. I would be content to let her take a dirtnap every fight but since she's the only one that can tame they've essentially forced you to at least make a token effort to keep her silly ass alive.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if shes getting rolled you need to level up her familiars more, and look at putting different familiars on her. i tend to put one front line fighter and one caster on everyone, with the third slot usually reserved for whoever im leveling up. that been working for me so far. be careful not to fuck yourself by metamorphosizing too many familiars at once too, you can get yourself stuck very easily that way and have to grind for some hours before you can start making forward progress again.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Beezel wrote: »
    In regards to the AI, am I better off loading Esther and Swaine up with defensive/healing pokemon and letting Ollie-boy and Mitey Mite do all the heavy lifting? Swaine isn't -as- terrible by the virtue of the familiars he has now are pretty beefy with low cost skills. Esther is the real problem here. She is absolutely terrible. I would be content to let her take a dirtnap every fight but since she's the only one that can tame they've essentially forced you to at least make a token effort to keep her silly ass alive.

So far I gave each member of my team a Defensive familiar, a Magic familiar/one that heals, and an offensive familiar (One that auto attacks mostly).

So far they have been very good about swapping them out in battle at appropriate times. I haven't touched the tactics at all and I just finished Hamelin without any difficulty with the AI at all.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    if shes getting rolled you need to level up her familiars more, and look at putting different familiars on her. i tend to put one front line fighter and one caster on everyone, with the third slot usually reserved for whoever im leveling up. that been working for me so far. be careful not to fuck yourself by metamorphosizing too many familiars at once too, you can get yourself stuck very easily that way and have to grind for some hours before you can start making forward progress again.

I have a beefed up second tier danglerfish as her frontman. He lasts a stupid long time. Her psyduck is on the second line for heals but she's too stupid to swap to it when needed so I probably need to put it up front. It has a pretty high defense stat anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2013

I have a beefed up second tier danglerfish as her frontman. He lasts a stupid long time. Her psyduck is on the second line for heals but she's too stupid to swap to it when needed so I probably need to put it up front. It has a pretty high defense stat anyway.

I have those exact two set up as well and she swaps in psyduck all the time for healing, do you have any tactics set?

Also yeah Danglerfish is friggin awesome, he hits like a truck.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

I have those exact two set up as well and she swaps in psyduck all the time for healing, do you have any tactics set?

I have her usually set to either provide backup or the healing priority. I'm probably doing something goofy that's making her misbehave. I gave swaine a skeleton warrior to compliment Hurly and he's doing okay with Do what you want so far. Even steals occasionally.

• Options

I have her usually set to either provide backup or the healing priority. I'm probably doing something goofy that's making her misbehave. I gave swaine a skeleton warrior to compliment Hurly and he's doing okay with Do what you want so far. Even steals occasionally.

I have her set to "Do whatever you want" and she seems to work quite well. I gave that lemur thing you get early on to Swaine since he likes beast types and it's been wrecking everything pretty well :D

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    My current setups are:

Oliver- Mitey Mite kicking ass and taking names, Bighorn tanking like a boss and a purrloin for speed that I swap with the caster fairy guy you get from golden grove when needed.

Misty- Stranglerfish up front helping Mite kick heads in, Psyduck on magic/heal duty, A whambat because I must have Captain Whamtastic with a Tu-Whit in reserve.

Pickpocket Brock- Skeleton warrior up front to soak up hits and debuff with Hurly on backup meatshield duty. Gave him the lemur as well which he switches to often.

• Options
    My current setups are:

Oliver- Mitey Mite kicking ass and taking names, Bighorn tanking like a boss and a purrloin for speed that I swap with the caster fairy guy you get from golden grove when needed.

Misty- Stranglerfish up front helping Mite kick heads in, Psyduck on magic/heal duty, A whambat because I must have Captain Whamtastic with a Tu-Whit in reserve.

Pickpocket Brock- Skeleton warrior up front to soak up hits and debuff with Hurly on backup meatshield duty. Gave him the lemur as well which he switches to often.

I gave Swain a Clinkity Clank as well because they are cute. Turns out he does pretty well too :D

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Man, my familiar just learned "Sand Blast"

I don't give a shit what they call it, this is the 3D Pokemon I always wanted

• Options
    I just think it's incredibly poor decision making to lock a command that makes the already dodgy AI drop what it's doing to defend behind an event that doesn't happen for most people until 10-15 (or more) hours in.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So not only does Studio Ghibli do the artwork for this but Joe fuckin Hisaishi does the score?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    How many PC-boxes do you have, anyway?

I wonder if there's a formula for how much final stats increase when you metamorph at later levels.

Can you feed things EV-foods every level, or what?

Do Star/Moon/Sun-signs only add resistance, or do they have other effects?

PLA on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I am so over leveled. I ran into like four enemy groups with a mob that gives 9000 xp per kill. And I was over leveled even before that!

It's kind of beautiful.

whoa, where did you find that?
    Outside Perdida. The enemy is Tokotoko.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I love the naivete and the tone. It's actually refreshing, and it meshes really well with the whole "let's go on an adventure" theme. This is the feeling Miyamoto describes when talking about creating Zelda.
    The superficial lightheartedness is not to be confused with childshness. There are some pretty dark themes running below it, and they're treated with due gravity.

One thing I love is how POLITE Oliver is all the time. It's heartwarming. The little heartbreak quests are amazing too, I feel really good playing this.

And I didn't mind how long it took until I got to tame familiars... It feels a natural progression when taken inside the Story's context. I also have mastered each previous skill quite decently when I got to that point. The pacing is really consistent between plot and gameplay.

Finally, the Trial of Friendship was really cool.

I really like the tone and I don't have much issue with the pacing.

But the
    Great Sage

kind of pissed me off. Hard to explain.

It's not a big deal. It was a blip and I'm past that section, but I really felt like it was a complete dip in quality and a bizarre tonal shift.

I don't know, the Sage seemed pretty much in keeping with Ghibli tone. I'm reminded of the witch from Spirited Away and how cruel she was, never passing up a chance to insult someone, and yet the child main character was nothing but polite in response. It didn't faze me at all.

That part really reminded me of the classic Dragon Ball manga, with the kid Goku, which I really love. Actually, A LOTabout Oliver's journey reminds me of classic DB.

But no one is required to enjoy the sage, at all. I wouldn't call it a dip in quality, but I can definitely understand how it can certainly be very annoying. I personally thought it was funny how he called everyone rubbish (especially when you make the choice), and it felt like he had a self-confidence issue (looking like a cute little boy while supposedly being so powerful). He was overcompensating, I guess. And I think he is supposed to break the sweetness of the setting a bit, because it's all been very sugary so far, hehe.
    The whole part about the two girls in the two worlds was amazing, by the way.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The whole part about the two girls in the two worlds was amazing, by the way.
    I just wish they had done more with Detroit Motorville.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Classic Dragon Ball was fun.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    PLA wrote: »
    How many PC-boxes do you have, anyway?

I wonder if there's a formula for how much final stats increase when you metamorph at later levels.

Can you feed things EV-foods every level, or what?

Do Star/Moon/Sun-signs only add resistance, or do they have other effects?

You just have one, it holds 400 critters.

You can feed them enough to make 10 stat changes. After that, the food just raises their familiarity with you. Whenever they gain another familiarity heart, you can do another 10 stat changes.

Star/Moon/Sun/Planet affects damage dealt as well as damage recieved.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    man everything that happens on teeheeti is just great. smiley & surly 4 life.

I don't know about the English VA but in the Japanese, Smiley and Surley's act is fucking hilarious. I was amazed.

• Options
    Ah, neat. How many hearts can they have?

• Options
    5. So +50 stats total.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I like that. I like that you never said 508 of 510.

PLA on
  • Options
    Whoops, I was wrong about the signs.

Sun: 5% resistance to Fire and Sleep
    Moon: 5% resisatnce to Water and Confusion
    Star: 5% Resistance to Storm and Poison
    Planet: 5% EXP bonus

Doubles signs double that to 10%.

Then they get a 20% (30% if double sign) bonus to Damage to the inferior sign in the Sun -> Moon -> Star order and the same amount less Damage in the other direction.

Planets (from the guide): The planet sign works differently. A familiar with a
    planet sign has no bonuses or penalties against any
    familiars, except for a hefty 50 percent damage bonus
    against familiars with a double-planet sign. Meanwhile, a
    double-planet-sign familiar will enjoy a 10 percent damage
    bonus against sun-, star-, and moon-sign familiars (and
    their double variants) but has no particular advantage or
    penalty against a planet-sign familiar.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So am I missing something, or do sidequests disappear (and apparently quicker than I'd expect)? I got to Castaway Cove and took the fashion sidequest and decided to do it
    on my way back to Al Mamoon to see Cowlipha
    . I finished up the line that sends me back to Castaway Cove, but when I got back the questgiver seemed to be gone :-/

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    So am I missing something, or do sidequests disappear (and apparently quicker than I'd expect)? I got to Castaway Cove and took the fashion sidequest and decided to do it
    on my way back to Al Mamoon to see Cowlipha
    . I finished up the line that sends me back to Castaway Cove, but when I got back the questgiver seemed to be gone :-/
    None of them disappear. That one walks around so check the map for the blinking blue dot. If she absolutely isn't there it may be because of Plot so just advance a little more.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Then they get a 20% (30% if double sign) bonus to Damage to the inferior sign in the Sun -> Moon -> Star order and the same amount less Damage in the other direction.

Oh, that's cool. Does that mean that a Sun deals more damage to a Moon regardless of the attack's element?
    Planets are odd. Kind of like Dragon-type.

• Options

Oh, that's cool. Does that mean that a Sun deals more damage to a Moon regardless of the attack's element?

Sun will deal 20% more damage to a moon but that base damage can still be reduced by resistances.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Can the DLC familiars be double sign at all?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Can the DLC familiars be double sign at all?

Nope. Rumour is they have a slight stat boost tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Griffy can. The butterfly one seems to be limited to single sign. As far as I know, the Golden ones are the same as their normal counterparts in terms of signs so I think some can some can't.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited January 2013

Sun will deal 20% more damage to a moon but that base damage can still be reduced by resistances.

OK.

My order-confirmation was oddly formatted. Doesn't actually name the product. Oh, well, I'll see what happens.

PLA on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Are there any levelling guides / tips kicking around? I've never been into the monster breeding games and I'm fairly OCD about maximizing my bars. I'm trying to convince myself to just go-with-the-flow but I do want to make sure that I'm not gimping myself.

Right now all I "know" is that you can metamorph twice and pump stats 50 times each morph. Can I, say, pump only Mitey's STR by feeding him nothing but chocolate or is there an imposed limit other than the 50?

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Are there any levelling guides / tips kicking around? I've never been into the monster breeding games and I'm fairly OCD about maximizing my bars. I'm trying to convince myself to just go-with-the-flow but I do want to make sure that I'm not gimping myself.

Right now all I "know" is that you can metamorph twice and pump stats 50 times each morph. Can I, say, pump only Mitey's STR by feeding him nothing but chocolate or is there an imposed limit other than the 50?

It's not each morph. It's a total of 50 bonus points that carry across all forms of the familiar. If you really want to min-max then make sure each familiar is at its max level before you evolve it, as that will increase the starting stats of the next level.

camo_sig2.png