As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Playtest of Chaos (Post-Playtest Discussion)

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I think Kelmon would absolutely agree to those terms. Gratuitous applications of fire all around.

I like thinking of these guys as a group of blundering, good-hearted, adventurers. Maybe they get a little shellshocked by Xi's antics, but they've been around the dungeon a time or two. No wizard or cleric was lucky enough to survive this far due to sheer randomness. It's like their complete lack of magical aptitude has somehow protected them from themselves.

• oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    so we're the scooby gang, only instead of a talking dog, we have Xi who stumbles upon all the mummies that aren't Old Man Jenkins, and instead of scooby snacks we have a bag of healing.

you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
    Yes.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I call Velma!

i guess i'm both shaggy and scooby thanks to my proficiency at finding trouble, but doubly so since my class makes literally immune to fear.

-Weather Badge
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Looks like you're also the first victim of a Save or Die.

There's about a week before you drop dead, although not being able to heal is going to make that rough. How does one go about removing curses?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    a week? my "active life time" is only one day.

i have 59 HP max. i took 50 damage and i can't regain HP. i take that to mean i can't heal it. i have 9 HP left,

if my max HP total drops by 10 the next morning, my max HP total becomes 49 (49 HP - 50 damage = -1 HP total). this means i'm "dying" and i can't be healed, putting me out of commission. because my HP was brought under 0, i need to start making 3 saving throws to stabilize (DC10, so i need to roll an 11 or higher. 50% success ratio). hoping the luck gods are with me, that should mean 1 failure per success... so 3d6 damage, 10.5.

this brings my HP stable at around -12 as i've taken about 61 damage with a max HP of 49

i have one more day to live after that as the rules state "You die when your hit points drop to a negative number that equals your Constitution score plus your character level (23 in Xi's case)". that day will put my max HP total to 39 (39 - 61= -22).

the next morning, i die. if i happen to take 12 damage instead of the 10.5 while trying to make my stabilize rolls, i'm dead on the second day.

not because my HP total reached 0, but because i can't heal any of the damage i took earlier.

-Weather Badge
    Depends on whether you're tracking Damage or Hit Points. If you're tracking damage then you're right, the reduction in Max HP will push your current down. If you're tracking Hit Points though, the damage has already been subtracted and thus changing the Max isn't going to effect current. You'll go from 9/59 to 9/49. The rules seem to indicate you track Hit Points, not Damage, so you've got about 5 days.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    @Denada i think we need a ruling on how we're going to treat Xi's curse on the off-chance he manages to survive the next 24 hours but not find a de-curse.

-Weather Badge
    There's basically two ways of dealing with damage. With one, you have a barrel full of water with a capacity of Max HP. When you take damage, you take water out until there's no water left and you die. With the other, you have an empty barrel with a capacity of Max HP. When you take damage, you pour water into the barrel until it overflows and you die. Chopping the top off the first barrel isn't going to effect your current HP unless it would be more than the Maximum, while chopping the top off the second is.

D&D seems to be firmly the former, as every rule regarding damage talks about reducing HP until you die. An example of the latter would be Dark Heresy and the rest of the 40K RP series where you track wounds taken until it overflows your maximum and you explode into a bloody fountain.

i'm an optimistic pessimist by nature: i always expect the worst but hope for the best. i believe a GM ruling would best be in order, better safe then sorry and all that jazz.

-Weather Badge
    Kelmon will mourn for a long long time should Xi perish.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I look at it this way:

You're at 9/59 today. Tomorrow you'll be at 9/49, and so on.

Also the only way to remove the curse is with a Remove Curse spell.

alrighty then. the glass is half-full it seems.

pessimism : 0
    optimism : 1

-Weather Badge
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This is only going to get more hilarious isn't it? Is there even a town in this adventure where they can get a remove curse?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Pity Kelmon isn't Attuned to that Vorpal Sword. Then he'd be ignoring their slashing resistance.

edited January 2013
    Wait a second, I've been playing as if he was attuned...I TOTALLY MISSED THE IGNORE RESISTANCE! This is what I get for not paying enough attention to my magic doodads.

Nealneal on
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This is only going to get more hilarious isn't it? Is there even a town in this adventure where they can get a remove curse?

There is not. Also, the group has to finish the adventure and figure out a "puzzle" before they can even leave the dungeon. Xi has to survive the rest of the tomb on 9 HP.

the rest of the tomb AND IF we manage to leave AND reach a town within a week on 9HP.

-Weather Badge
    Also the other traps. One of which none of you have any chance of surviving should you fall victim to it.

Kelmon will gather up Xi in a bag and take that dust back to his homeland...or possibly sell it to a wizard in need of arcane reagents.

i just hope Xi dies the way he lived:

loud, destructive & without any tact or subtlety.

-Weather Badge
    Into the dust pail of history.

as long as it's glorious.

-Weather Badge
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Is there anything in 5e about undead having critical hit vulnerabilities? I know at least zombie-based undead did in 4e.

• ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Have they made undead immune to sneak attack damage to be Iconic?

As far as I know neither of those things are in 5e. Yet.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'd be posting a video of rainy day women but it's impossible to find one that isn't a terrible cover

fuck gendered marketing
    This is all going so incredibly well!

I love how absolutely every aspect of this so far is completely fucking over martial characters in every aspect. Enemies resistant to P/B/S (Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing) weapons, enemies that can permanently reduce your HP for a day or so, enemies that prevent you from being able to heal full fucking stop and so on. Nothing about this adventure was designed with the idea that a party might not have spellcasters or acess to spellcasting in some form.

Nothing.

• LeperLeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Just out of curiosity, is the part where the Naga offers to talk in the adventure or should that have been in purple text?
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'd be posting a video of rainy day women but it's impossible to find one that isn't a terrible cover
    EDIT: Excellent suggestion... here you go.

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    you also forgot the 2nd room of the dungeon: puzzles that require magic to solve, like the eyes which initially required magical fire to close.

-Weather Badge
    The naga is supposed to stop and try to negotiate when it gets under half HP. It's supposed to try to tell you all about the dungeon or something.

Oh and also, if you think the dungeon has been anti-martial so far, just wait.

• LeperLeper Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Oh and also, if you think the dungeon has been anti-martial so far, just wait.
    It gets worse? How unexpected.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    Denada wrote: »
    The naga is supposed to stop and try to negotiate when it gets under half HP. It's supposed to try to tell you all about the dungeon or something.

You should have it tell the players their skills and insufficient for this adventure. And because it's evil, that they should also feel bad.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Denada I would like to thank you for putting yourself through this so I don't have to.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I want to know where all the mud is. What do nagas and mummies have to do with mud sorcerors, anyway?

we encountered the mud a while back. it held a coffin, a few coins and scrollcase,

i have to admit though, i was expecting elementals, mephits, wyrds, grues and other earth based enemies.

-Weather Badge
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Now that permanent reductions in HP and negated healing are showing up I find myself thinking of the countdown clock from 24 as I read the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Xxfl0pAAQ

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Yup! No way we live through this. None.