As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Monday, January 28, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 33: A Modest Proposal

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, January 28, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 33: A Modest Proposal

Okay, THQ didn't listen, but maybe Atari will.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• MuffinsMuffins Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was out of line, I apologize for my behavior.

Muffins on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    You can tell her health just from looking at her from the shoulders up and knowing nothing about her lifestyle, eating habits, or anything else?

What are you doing on the internet wasting time when you could be out there saving lives with this magical skill? You monster.

Falx on
  • AzraeldaAzraelda Registered User new member
    Okay, what's changed since last year? I can watch upto episode 29 fine, but anything after that all i see is a white block where the video should be.

• metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    "Blasteroids" sounds like a horrible, horrible medical condition.

Also, it seems DMC (not DeLorean Motor Company) is doing all right. Not great, but not terrible. Good enough.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If anyone is under the impression that the appearance of the Checkpoint staff is any of their fucking business I would like to dissuade them from this notion in the strongest terms.

• michailvmichailv Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't nerf bear Graham in the next episode the way they did shirtless Graham.

• jedidethfreakjedidethfreak Registered User regular
    Another gaming "news" outlet that ignores X and SMTxFE in that Nintendo Direct, and claims they only announced Mario and Zelda games?

Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I've been trying all day to find that youtube clip of a family driving the woods looking at bears, and then find some. Except they're the kind of "bears" you usually find in certain bars.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Paypal is the future!

• JenSevJenSev Registered User regular
    The name Blasteroids actually sounds like a very painful and disgusting form of haemorrhoids.

The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
  • thenameless685thenameless685 Registered User regular
    me say to u wtf happened to xenoblade chronicles 2 annoucement? u dindt mention da

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Blasteroids 2: Blast Harder!

OH GOD THAT JUST MAKES IT SOUND MORE PAINFUL

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    @jedidethfreak -- I consider us less a gaming "news" outlet and more a "news/commentary" outlet. Yes, there are two non-Nintendo games coming out for the WiiU, but they're in the minority. Nintendo is the only hardware company that seems to primarily make hardware for their own software. Sure, Microsoft and Sony have first party titles, but they're not 70 to 80 percent of the available titles. Food for thought, right?

• enderandrewenderandrew Systems Engineer OmahaRegistered User regular
    What concerns me is that Nintendo keeps producing new hardware that serves as a new vehicle to resell us software we already purchased previously. And they've been doing this for console generations and everyone is fine with it.

I love classic Nintendo games. But after buying them a certain number of times, I have zero desire to pay for them again.

Even if they continue to make a handful of new, great first-party titles per console generation, I wonder if it is enough to warrant the cost of a new console when there are so few. Filling the gaps with classic games repeatedly is merely obfuscation for the lack of actual new games worth playing.

• DathouenDathouen Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Here's a good WiiU game. Ocarina of Time. Just imagine using the lens of truth, but having to actually look around with the WiiU :D. Also other stuff....

That aside, they really need to broaden their development horizons. Maybe bring in some fresh talent. Like someone who could think of things like using the WiiU as a lens of truth perhaps...

Dathouen on
    Privacy is for the rich. Regulation is for the poor.
    People read into vitriolic and contemptuous yarns inherently searching for obfuscated rhetoric; time has ever replicated
    intelligent, idealistic characteristics halfheartedly. Recently, every government ubiquitously legalizes arbitrarily,
    tangential implementations of nihilistic ideals, solely for optimized revenue tides, having each person or
    organization resign.
    Here is the weird thing. Nintendo didn't innovate with the Wiimote much beyond the Wii-launch. Most third party developers just took a generic shaking motion as a replacement for a button press (which is really annoying).

I'm not sure I saw a truly great use of the Wiimote past Wii Sports and Wii Play.

And while the 360 and PS3 designed with online play in mind, the Wii was focused on in-person multiplayer.

Now the Wii U allows only one player to use the new controller. Either you design a game balanced for 3 Wiimotes and one tablet (only works with 4 players, and not really with 2 or 3 so much), or you do chase and find mechanics which they pretty much covered in Nintendoland.

I don't know that we'll see many innovative uses beyond what they've already shown us at launch.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @jedidethfreak -- I consider us less a gaming "news" outlet and more a "news/commentary" outlet. Yes, there are two non-Nintendo games coming out for the WiiU, but they're in the minority. Nintendo is the only hardware company that seems to primarily make hardware for their own software. Sure, Microsoft and Sony have first party titles, but they're not 70 to 80 percent of the available titles. Food for thought, right?

Any fan of Nintendo over the last 20 years has known this. Surprisingly, they have one of the few economic models for hardware development that has been profitable year over year until last year.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. Nintendo doesn't pay for exclusives, developers go where they get their games subsidized, the platform gets a reputation for not having 3rd party games (and those that do exist have to compete against Nintendo), and therefore less 3rd party developers plan on developing for the system. It's why Nintendo looks to not just be an also-ran in the hardware biz, because the more unique an experience they can bring, the more they can leverage that to make 3rd parties try something new.

Naturally it backfires on the console end, but hey.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Don RebaDon Reba Registered User regular
    My first thought was about yet a third meaning of "bear Graham": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvl7_q51ew

• MrButtonsMrButtons Registered User new member
    3:39 His "O-face", her "That's it?" face

• akula765akula765 Registered User regular
    Paperboy actually seems like a great idea for rebooted downloadable title in the 10-20 dollar range.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I second that, another Paperboy would be fun.

Though it needs the full Michael Bay treatment. The Paperboy needs to be a tough, gritty character who is absolutely jacked and spitting out one liners, the tornado needs to be an F7, every other driveway will have a car being washed by a bussomy lass in a tiny white top, and putting a newspaper through a window will cause the house to explode. Heck, most things will explode, and each and every time you put a newspaper in the mailbox you'll get a The Who/CSI: Miami style "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!"

• Zifnab25Zifnab25 Registered User new member
    I've always been of the belief that Mirror's Edge was just one bike-mod away from being a kick-ass Paperboy sequel.

• dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    It's not just "Asteroids", you don't just slap a 2 on that, you BLAST that shit.
    Modern Blastfare
    Demon's Soul-blast
    Super Mario Blastworld

• likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    My favorite news show. lol.

• metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @dead.juice: I WANT TO PLAY SUPER MARIO BLASTWORLD.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    dead.juice wrote: »
    It's not just "Asteroids", you don't just slap a 2 on that, you BLAST that shit.
    Modern Blastfare
    Demon's Soul-blast
    Super Mario Blastworld

Subsequent sequels have more blasts added in.

Moblast Blastfare
    Blastmon's Soul-blast
    Super Mario Blastblast

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Framling wrote: »
    dead.juice wrote: »
    Modern Blastfare
    Demon's Soul-blast
    Super Mario Blastworld

Subsequent sequels have more blasts added in.

Moblast Blastfare
    Blastmon's Soul-blast
    Super Mario Blastblast

It all ends in chaos after our legal system collapses on itself under the weight of an unending series of eight-way lawsuits with n^defendants countersuits over the rights to "Blast Blast Blast Blast".

• TECTEC Registered User new member
    I never ever ever ever ever ever ever stop getting a weird kick out of seeing "BOOM! Kate Stark" in the credits.
    Every time I see Kate in a video, hear someone mention her, or whatever, my brain automatically echos "BOOM! Kate Stark", like it's her full proper name, rank and title or something.
    Like it's implied that her entrance into any scene be heralded by a dramatic *BOOM!*, akin to Captain Marvel, Jack Nicholson, or the Kool-Aid Man's arrival ("SHAZAM!!!" *thunderbolt*, *axe through door* "HEEERE'S JOHNNY!", or *wall smash* "OH YEEEAAAAA!!!!" ).

Just sayin'.
    :P

When me and my friends tried our foray into indie filmmaking, we didn't have a proper boom mic. So I got a long piece of PVP pipe, and ran a microphone cord through it, taping a microphone at the end.

Then I wrote on it with a Sharpie: "This is my BOOM stick!"

• worldofglennworldofglenn Registered User new member
    The sequel to Asteroids was Asteroids Deluxe. I loved me some shields with that one. Completion the 'Asteroids' trilogy was Blasteroids. Which, I was able to pick up a nice one recently. While previous editions used buttons for ship control, Blasteroids used a spinner knob.

I got a good deal on the whole thing because the sound wasn't working. After painstaking replacing a few transistors (soldering on 15 year hardware is nerve wracking) to no avail, finding a couple of blown fuses fixed it!

After lubing up the spinner knob ( I don't want to hear it!), Blasteroids came to life! So great having a real arcade game at home.

It's not the complete fun that Asteroids was, but it does feature 2 player co-op that's a 'blast' !

• RagingR2RagingR2 Registered User regular
    Hehe, Checkpoint seemed to have a particular beef with fighting game fans and their criticism in this epsiode. ;)

• TransientMindTransientMind Registered User regular
    The look on Graham's face in the last couple frames = Priceless.