As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedwig and the Angry [chat]

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Then bust out your DVD.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    mornin', dumps

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I don't know exactly how *new* it is, but gog claims that their version of Fallout 2 and Alpha Centauri now work on macs

Alpha Centauri also appears to include the expansion now, which has not been available due to a licensing issue.

Yeah, Alien Crossfire has been available for about a month now.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My brother also once told me that if someone worked out a lot then he would pass on his buffness genes to his kids.

And I just wondered how he graduated from the same science and technology magnet school that I did.

And if you shave your head twice a week you get bald kids!

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    aww yeah, starting the monday after a week of vacation with an hour and a half wait in traffic — normally a 15m commute — and only 113 emails! I'm used to having 1000+ emails a week. This new position is much more reasonable.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    You guys not at work should see The Reward on vimeo. It's a little nsfw.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    mornin', dumps

I find a bowl of oatmeal helps with that

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    mornin', dumps

day two of weight watchers gooooooo

yesterday was my first meeting, it made me think of you

a lot of the talk was about being mindful of what you eat, where you are, what triggers certain impulses

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    My brother also once told me that if someone worked out a lot then he would pass on his buffness genes to his kids.

And I just wondered how he graduated from the same science and technology magnet school that I did.

Hm. Hmmmmm.

Yes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Inquisitor

did you link him the Gregor Mendel wiki?

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

I have several (otherwise intelligent) friends who are convinced that shaving frequently makes your facial hair grow faster.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I have 18 things to do today and I want to do none of them.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I have several (otherwise intelligent) friends who are convinced that shaving frequently makes your facial hair grow faster.
    Vitamin D stimulates hair growth. More skin surface = More vitamin D uptake.

Science

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Got up, left an hour early for school, spend an hour and a half in traffic, get to class, find out from other go getter classmates that it's cancelled.

The rage.

On the plus side, got to spend a bit talking to a pretty cool girl and waited with her for the bus.

Guess I'll just drive home now...

488W936.png
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Vitamin D stimulates hair growth. More skin surface = More vitamin D uptake.

Science
    My chin has the largest surface area of any part of my body. Only by shaving can I avoid rickets.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    mornin', dumps

a lot of the talk was about being mindful of what you eat, where you are, what triggers certain impulses

You may find this interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQLHwSphu-M

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Wait. That isn't true? Or at least partly veiled in truth?

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    a gay couple who are friends of a friend got attacked by shop security for kissing in a store last night

yay tolerance

Well, sure feels that way.

"Goddamnit didn't I shave just last night?"

Tav wrote: »
    a gay couple who are friends of a friend got attacked by shop security for kissing in a store last night

yay tolerance

yay lawsuit?

cptrugged wrote: »

Your hair is dead, your body cannot tell if you have cut the end of the hair off or not.

yay tolerance
    what the fuck? Are they ok?

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

I think the myth comes from the fact that very short hair is more bristly, so it seems like shaving is making it grow back thicker at first

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

nope.

The only reason is that recently cut beard hair is all sharp and shit.

I mean how could possibly cutting the end of hairs stimulate growth?

it would be pretty much exactly like cutting your nails making them grow faster.

ftOqU21.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d2d2e83c-6721-11e2-a805-00144feab49a.html

good article! although it doesnt mention the Eagle Ford, which is also visible (the smiley-face crescent in southern Texas)

919UOwT.png
    mornin', dumps

I wonder

in people with kinda chronic depression

the extent to which its driven by a habit-like mechanism

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Your hair is dead, your body cannot tell if you have cut the end of the hair off or not.

Well balls. Make sense. That was always just one of those "wive's tales" things that just never went through my head to question. I guess when you don't really make any decisions because of a certain bit of info. It really doesn't matter that it is wrong.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

good article! although it doesnt mention the Eagle Ford, which is also visible (the smiley-face crescent in southern Texas)

Subscription Wall?
    GOOBY PLS

Bless your heart.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it makes your facial hair appear to grow faster, to be sure, because small hairs are easier to spot changes in

aRkpc.gif
    I clean shaved for the first time in a while because my clipper's battery died. I woke up feeling like the backside of one of my wrists had its skin torn off. Stubbly.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

yay tolerance

yay lawsuit?

If their side of the story is true, hopefully.

yay tolerance
    what the fuck? Are they ok?

Apparently one of them has cuts and bruises all over his neck, the other was just pushed away.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Well, sure feels that way.

"Goddamnit didn't I shave just last night?"

There is some evidence that the physical fitness of the mother has definite effect on both the weight and the fitness of the child for a long time after childbirth. Being born to an obese mother is a disadvantage even if the mother doesn't parent you. Fathers of course have near zero influence on this. I think I recall it has to do with gene activation and hormonal levels mostly.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    mornin', dumps

I wonder

in people with kinda chronic depression

the extent to which its driven by a habit-like mechanism

I have several friends who have problems with alcohol. The biggest hurdle for them is impulse control. If they can keep that under control, they're usually fine. Break it though, and they immediately fall back into a cycle (habit) until they crash again.

edited January 2013
    ronya wrote: »
    it makes your facial hair appear to grow faster, to be sure, because small hairs are easier to spot changes in

I feel my hair never grows.

Hard to spot the difference when you have two feet of it.

edit: not facial hair!

Echo on
    TTODewback wrote: »

Subscription Wall?
    GOOBY PLS

I want to make a GOOBY/GOOGLE joke but there's just no way to phrase it without being rude

but so:

https://www.google.com/search?name=f&hl=en&q=Shale+gas+boom+now+visible+from+space

aRkpc.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

Subscription Wall?
    GOOBY PLS

step 1: stop being a skrub
    step 2: try dis one http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d2d2e83c-6721-11e2-a805-00144feab49a.html

919UOwT.png

I feel my hair never grows.

Hard to spot the difference when you have two feet of it.

edit: not facial hair!

220px-Miniature_Schnauzer_portrait_Mattie.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I actually have an FT account but can never remember my login.

So their stories remain unread.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule

yeah I don't really get why it's a LOL LRN2SCIENCE thing

This discussion has been closed.