As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire, BOOK AND TV AND ESPECIALLY BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I mean...
    AFFC wrote:
    Back on the road, the septon said, “We would do well to keep a watch tonight, my friends. The villagers say they’ve seen three broken men skulking round the dunes, west of the old watchtower.”

“Only three?” Ser Hyle smiled. “Three is honey to our swordswench. They’re not like to trouble armed men.”

“Unless they’re starving,” the septon said. “There is food in these marshes, but only for those with the eyes to find it, and these men are strangers here, survivors from some battle. If they should accost us, ser, I beg you, leave them to me.”

“What will you do with them?”

“Feed them. Ask them to confess their sins, so that I might forgive them. Invite them to come with us to the Quiet Isle.”

“That’s as good as inviting them to slit our throats as we sleep,” Hyle Hunt replied. “Lord Randyll has better ways to deal with broken men—steel and hempen rope.”

“Ser? My lady?” said Podrick. “Is a broken man an outlaw?”

“More or less,” Brienne answered.

Septon Meribald disagreed. “More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They’ve heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

“Then they get a taste of battle.

“For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

“They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

“If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world…

“And the man breaks.

“He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them…but he should pity them as well.”

When Meribald was finished a profound silence fell upon their little band. Brienne could hear the wind rustling through a clump of pussywillows, and farther off the faint cry of a loon. She could hear Dog panting softly as he loped along beside the septon and his donkey, tongue lolling from his mouth. The quiet stretched and stretched, until finally she said, “How old were you when they marched you off to war?”

“Why, no older than your boy,” Meribald replied. “Too young for such, in truth, but my brothers were all going, and I would not be left behind. Willam said I could be his squire, though Will was no knight, only a potboy armed with a kitchen knife he’d stolen from the inn. He died upon the Stepstones, and never struck a blow. It was fever did for him, and for my brother Robin. Owen died from a mace that split his head apart, and his friend Jon Pox was hanged for rape.”

“The War of the Ninepenny Kings?” asked Hyle Hunt.

“So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was.”

The best single passage in the whole series.

You know, I do find it interesting how much the show has skipped over the religions of the setting. We've seen "a" septa, though they never explained what a septa is, and we've seen the silent sisters a couple of times, though no explanation there either. The Seven have only been mentioned by their individual names during Robb's wedding, and they never mention R'hllor by name. They didn't even make it clear that the guy those starving peasants ate in the King's Landing riot was essentially the Pope of Westeros.

Hopefully Thoros of Myr can talk a little less fanatically about R'hllor than Melisandre does, and give audiences a bit of exposition. Though there will have to be a decent sized infodump about the clergy of Westeros at some point.

Fakefaux on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    I mean...
    AFFC wrote:
    Back on the road, the septon said, “We would do well to keep a watch tonight, my friends. The villagers say they’ve seen three broken men skulking round the dunes, west of the old watchtower.”

“Only three?” Ser Hyle smiled. “Three is honey to our swordswench. They’re not like to trouble armed men.”

“Unless they’re starving,” the septon said. “There is food in these marshes, but only for those with the eyes to find it, and these men are strangers here, survivors from some battle. If they should accost us, ser, I beg you, leave them to me.”

“What will you do with them?”

“Feed them. Ask them to confess their sins, so that I might forgive them. Invite them to come with us to the Quiet Isle.”

“That’s as good as inviting them to slit our throats as we sleep,” Hyle Hunt replied. “Lord Randyll has better ways to deal with broken men—steel and hempen rope.”

“Ser? My lady?” said Podrick. “Is a broken man an outlaw?”

“More or less,” Brienne answered.

Septon Meribald disagreed. “More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They’ve heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

“Then they get a taste of battle.

“For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

“They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

“If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world…

“And the man breaks.

“He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them…but he should pity them as well.”

When Meribald was finished a profound silence fell upon their little band. Brienne could hear the wind rustling through a clump of pussywillows, and farther off the faint cry of a loon. She could hear Dog panting softly as he loped along beside the septon and his donkey, tongue lolling from his mouth. The quiet stretched and stretched, until finally she said, “How old were you when they marched you off to war?”

“Why, no older than your boy,” Meribald replied. “Too young for such, in truth, but my brothers were all going, and I would not be left behind. Willam said I could be his squire, though Will was no knight, only a potboy armed with a kitchen knife he’d stolen from the inn. He died upon the Stepstones, and never struck a blow. It was fever did for him, and for my brother Robin. Owen died from a mace that split his head apart, and his friend Jon Pox was hanged for rape.”

“The War of the Ninepenny Kings?” asked Hyle Hunt.

“So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was.”

The best single passage in the whole series.

You know, I do find it interesting how much the show has skipped over the religions of the setting. We've seen "a" septa, though they never explained what a septa is, and we've seen the silent sisters a couple of times, though no explanation there either. The Seven have only been mentioned by their individual names during Robb's wedding, and they never mention R'hllor by name. They didn't even make it clear that the guy those starving peasants ate in the King's Landing riot was essentially the Pope of Westeros.

Hopefully Thoros of Myr can talk a little less fanatically about R'hllor than Melisandre does, and give audiences a bit of exposition. Though there will have to be a decent sized infodump about the clergy of Westeros at some point.

I think the special features cover the religion in some detail. It's been a while since I've watched them, though.

20 years ago, I might have said that the information should be in the show proper, but with the internet (and the numerous fan sites), there's no reason to bog down the show with a "So, as you know ..." exposition dump. Let the dialogue stay natural and if someone is confused by what a septa is (which they don't actually need to know in terms of plot), they can watch the special features or ask for information online. At which point they will be directed to the special features that some kind soul uploaded to youtube.

Tamin on
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Tamin wrote: »
    I think the special features cover the religion in some detail. It's been a while since I've watched them, though.

20 years ago, I might have said that the information should be in the show proper, but with the internet (and the numerous fan sites), there's no reason to bog down the show with a "So, as you know ..." exposition dump. Let the dialogue stay natural and if someone is confused by what a septa is (which they don't actually need to know in terms of plot), they can watch the special features or ask for information online. At which point they will be directed to the special features that some kind soul uploaded to youtube.

Well, certainly there's plenty of information that can be inferred, and requires no exposition. I mean, simply seeing more septas or septons acting like conventional nuns and monks would get the idea across pretty easily. The show has, however, removed a number of minor characters in this vein, for understandable reasons. My hope is we might see the ruined church sequence in Arya's time with the Brotherhood, which would be a great way to explore this.

R'hllor on the other hand, is a different matter. At some point they're going to need to talk a bit more a about the religion of the Red God and, more importantly, about the Azor Azhai prophecy.

Fakefaux on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well, religion isn't really all that important in the first couple of books, it's really book 3 where that starts taking off, and then of course book 4 has a ton about the religious changes happening.

And yeah, the ruined church scene would be an excellent way of starting the plotline of how much stress the church is undergoing

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The series in general doesn't deal alot with religion which is probably the biggest thing that makes it feel less real.

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Also, this is rather interesting. I pointed out in the last thread that most of these pictures are tagged with production codes. This picture of Dany is listed as being from Episode 304, IE episode four, season three:

<snip>

Given the nature of the picture, this seems to suggest Dany gets her army of Unsullied really, really early in the season. What will she be doing for the rest of it?

Nothing, just like the book. Hundreds of pages scenes of her being wishy-washy with occasional action nearby that she never actually sees.

Given how they kind of butchered the Qarth storyline in season 2, maybe speeding the astapor story line up to the good parts is the best thing for them to do.

Kyoka Suigetsu on
    edited January 2013
    (linked for big)
    http://i.imgur.com/ZIwfBtH.gif

something something Victarion Greyjoy's sigil?

Tamin on
    How did they butcher the Qarth storyline?

It still wasn't great, but nobody liked the original Qarth storyline in the first place, and it would've worked even worse on TV.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kana wrote: »

It still wasn't great, but nobody liked the original Qarth storyline in the first place, and it would've worked even worse on TV.

I'm not saying they did a bad job or anything, I should have phrased it better. I would of done pretty much the same thing. Qarth as it was in the books was pretty unadaptible.

But after her dragons got kidnapped, Daenarys pretty much did nothing for two episodes except complain and that kind of took the wind out her sails story wise, I felt.

So less of that and more of Emilia Clarke being amazing is what I'm saying basically.

EDIT: Kana, your set is glorious

Kyoka Suigetsu on
    I'm expecting things to pick up for her this season, since she'll actually be claiming an army and conquering a city. Season four, though, might signal another back-slump, because I'm not entirely sure what they can do with here there. Obviously she'll conquer Mereen, but that alone might not be enough. Then again, they'll be wanting to dedicate most of the budget/screentime to Jon's story that season.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I thought the House of the Undying was pretty well done, but I had a hard time watching Season 2 since I don't own HBO, I watched it piecemeal at a friend's.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Am I the only dude on the planet that thinks of rock and roll fantasy camp whenever the Stark words are uttered?
    youtube.com/watch?v=S97qUGgCoQ4

• RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    Am I the only dude on the planet that thinks of rock and roll fantasy camp whenever the Stark words are uttered?
    Yes, there's a good chance you are.

Yes, there's a good chance you are.

Especially since the rest of us have done our best to purge that godawful shit from our brains.

So, here's my question.

They've said that season 2 marked the last time a season would be, more or less, an adaptation of one whole book. They've also said that they don't intend to split the material of AFfC and DwD geographically. What this means is that seasons 5 and 6 will probably be both of those books, with season 5 ending in the middle of both of them, and season 6 picking up the rest.

So where the hell will that split be? I can't think of a properly climactic moment in the middle of either book to end the season on.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well, you know, adaptations. They'll add climates.

reVerse wrote: »
    Well, you know, adaptations. They'll add climates.

Well, I guess winter is coming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7b-Z2lLtLc

Hey look a new animated history!

This time about the alchemists guild

The youtube page says that's just a preview, but it seemed pretty complete to me.

I wish I could have afforded season two this year.

Tamin wrote: »
    The youtube page says that's just a preview, but it seemed pretty complete to me.

It probably just means "a preview of the extras"

oh! right, of course.

There's another one about the wildlings narrated by ygritte on youtube.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So, here's my question.

They've said that season 2 marked the last time a season would be, more or less, an adaptation of one whole book. They've also said that they don't intend to split the material of AFfC and DwD geographically. What this means is that seasons 5 and 6 will probably be both of those books, with season 5 ending in the middle of both of them, and season 6 picking up the rest.

So where the hell will that split be? I can't think of a properly climactic moment in the middle of either book to end the season on.

You could end Season 5 with (spoilers for midway through AFFC and ADWD):
    Cersei's daughter having half her face cut off
    Quentyn getting eaten
    Arya killing Dareon
    Tyrion getting enslaved
    Kingsmoot
    It's more like "2/3 through" than halfway, but Cersei getting imprisoned by the High Septon

Salvation122 on
    There's another one about the wildlings narrated by ygritte on youtube.

Which appeared to hint at both giants and a certain undead ursine for season 3.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tyrion getting enslaved
    Bingo. Maximum audience impact.

edited January 2013
    Bobble wrote: »
    Tyrion getting enslaved
    Bingo. Maximum audience impact.

I suppose. It's a bit weak compared to
    Ned's death/Dany's dragons
    in season 1 and
    Blackwater/march of the White Walkers
    in season 2. And, presumably,
    The Red Wedding/the skirmish at Castle Black
    in season 3.

Fakefaux on
    Everything is weak compared to
    The Red Wedding.
    That's gonna be the JFK moment of this show.

Catelyn's actress is really good, ever since season one I've been hoping we'd make it here, just so she could get her big wedding scene

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Peter Dinklage knew exactly what he was signing up for when he signed his GoT contract... I recall an interview where he said that he's never read the books.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The Red Wedding.
    For me, Ned's death will always be The Shocker of the series. "Oh my gods, did he just kill off the main fucking character?"

reVerse on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The Red Wedding.
    For me, Ned's death will always be The Shocker of the series. "Oh my gods, did he just kill of the main fucking character?"

Yeah, it's such a great moment because it lets you know anything is on the table. Then you get complacent again and boom, RW.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm doing a re-read of the series and during aSoS,
    Wow, Dany gets her Unsullied way earlier than I remember.

She also says, "In a year I will be in Westeros," which made me sad because she still isn't.

a5ehren wrote: »
    The Red Wedding.
    For me, Ned's death will always be The Shocker of the series. "Oh my gods, did he just kill of the main fucking character?"

Yeah, it's such a great moment because it lets you know anything is on the table. Then you get complacent again and boom, RW.

Yeah, I really wonder how complacent the general audience for GoT will get, since no major characters died this past season. Will the foreshadowing tip them off, or will the RW come out of nowhere and punch them in the dick?

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular

I honestly thought that Qarth in the books is one of the absolute weakest pieces. Okay, so maybe she spends a couple of episodes in the TV show doing nothing.

In Clash, she spends the entire book doing nothing. It's just a big, boring page-filler, and the TV show actually managed to make a few pieces of it interesting. It's easily the best example of where the TV show actually manages to trump the books completely when taking a different direction.

As for the RW, they've already avoided foreshadowing. One of the door's Dany opens in the books is a huge tip off to the Red Wedding, and that was cut from the show. I don't think they want people to have the slightest clue what, exactly, is about to go down until moments before. I can see them playing up Grey Wind not wanting to go in, definitely set a grim tension that something bad is about to go down, and whammo, it breaks and all hell is unleashed.

So, might be some foreshadowing, a few smart folks will probably be able to guess that Robb's death is nigh, but by and large it'll be a dick punch. As it was in the book. I mean, I foresaw badness going down, I knew that Robb was basically fucked the moment he ignored Grey Wind, but it was still rough. Kept scanning the pages, hoping to see some kind of miracle to save the day, re-reading the part where Bolton puts a sword through Robb's heart to see if I was reading that right... and in the end, all I could do was say "FUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuck...".

I think the TV show will do just fine.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    TRW was so well done in the books

The whole thing felt like, wrong

I didn't know what was going to happen but the sense of unease was there, and Robb was completely unaware of it

Comradebot wrote: »

I honestly thought that Qarth in the books is one of the absolute weakest pieces. Okay, so maybe she spends a couple of episodes in the TV show doing nothing.

In Clash, she spends the entire book doing nothing. It's just a big, boring page-filler, and the TV show actually managed to make a few pieces of it interesting. It's easily the best example of where the TV show actually manages to trump the books completely when taking a different direction.

The thing is, in the books, it's not a big boring page-filler. Because it fills very few pages. It's only 5 chapters.

The show's problem is it's tough to deal with a plotline that takes up so little space in the narrative. So they had to expand it.

One year ago, the first full trailer for GoT season 2 came out today. HBO probably won't want to release this year's the Superbowl weekend, which means it will probably come out Sunday, Feb. 3.

What do you hope we get a glimpse of in it?

Giants, unsullied and nice look at Beric. Plus some shots of Emilia Clarke being so pretty.

Giants, unsullied and nice look at Beric. Plus some shots of Emilia Clarke being so pretty.

I'm in. Just as long as they don't foreshadow anything they shouldn't (which I don't expect them to). Also, Fakefaux, the 3rd is the Super Bowl itself, so are you thinking the 10th?

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Considering how much they cut out from the House of the Undying, I imagine the show will have little to no foreshadowing of The Red Wedding going forward.

This discussion has been closed.