As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Vintage PC thread: Because MS-DOS gaming still rules

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone else remember playing a shareware game called Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy? Such a great little puzzle game.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Raptor was fucking awesoooooooooooooooooome. Tyrian was a game I saw once when I was in sixth grade or so, and I wanted to play it sooooooooooooo much but I never got the game. I will someday.
    Just head down to GOG, Tyrian 2000 is free and works wonderfully.
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/tyrian_2000

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey guys guess who is finally getting a GoG account? <_<

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    No Jazz Jackrabbit TSR? I'm sort of surprised!

Whoops, the image wasn't loading for me, there it is. I love that game.

While we might disagree on a lot of Sega stuff your taste in old PC games is impeccable.

Jazz Jackrabbit was THE PC game for me. Way more than Commander Keen or Jill of the Jungle or Epic Pinball or any of that. Jazz Jackrabbit probably had more influence on me than any other PC game before or since. I bought a Gravis Gamepad just because the game told me to. I played the SHIT out of JJR1. I have both games still - JJR2 was a bit of a let down because it doesn't seem as well put together - the level design is poorer, the larger viewing area, while very beneficial for the speed you run at, makes the game look cheaper, the music isn't as good, the graphics, while technically superior, are artistically inferior. Overall, a solid game, but a let down compared to what I remember the original being. The original, of course, is one of the best Sonic the Hedgehog clones ever made, although I'd say it's closer to Zool 2 than Sonic in mechanics in all honesty.

I haven't played the original game in over 20 years - I never bother with dosbox, and openJazz is very inaccurate. I've played the sequel to death, because it can run on a modern PC, but even when it was new I felt it was inferior to the original. The original had everything - it could be rose tinted glasses, but I remember it looking and sounding incredible. The music reminded me of earthworm jim with it's sample set - it actually shares the same samples as Epic Pinball and was scored by the same guy. The game came out in 1994 and is visually most inspired by Sonic CD, my favorite Sonic game. You get this super trippy, surreal visuals with excellent shading. The special stages are straight out of Sonic CD. I remember Jazz himself had great visual flair - he was cute and cool, rather than angry and extreme like other Sonic Clones, such as Aero the Acrobat or Bubsy. His eyes had lots of expression in them, looking like a cross between bugs bunny and rambo. Green was an awesome color for him.

Of all the games I'm going to be able to play when I get this 486 together, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 probably more than anything else. Its one of the few games I played as a youth that I simply have not revisited. from my recollection, it is a fantastic game.

I actually went and grabbed a bunch of these games from my parents place last weekend and I was going to take a picture of them all, but laziness and an incomplete set prevented me. Unlike most of the rest of my collection, I didn't keep up with my PC games as much. They're scattered around boxes and in attics at my parents place - finding one box full of stuff took me several hours, and there must be several others still over there. They don't live super close so finding time to get over there and rummage through their stuff is hard to do. Still, I found some great classics in a box on saturday including my fully boxed, still complete copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the IBM PC.

I also found this motherfucker:

250px-MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg

This is still my favorite mech game of all time. I played that game with this:

319431FVB7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember cursing a storm on some of the missions because they were so fucking long, and so fucking hard. It was annoying to play for what felt like over an hour only to die near the end and have all your work undone. But it was so satisifying.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I still have the Mechwarrior 2 manual. From an era where game manuals were more fun.

I still have the Mechwarrior 2 manual. From an era where game manuals were more fun.

It wasn't that long after that PC games kinda stopped shipping with manuals. The last PC game I remember coming with a manual was Quake 3. My copies of Half Life 2 and The Witcher, for example, are without manuals.

My copy of Mortal Kombat II on the PC actually has a better, more detailed manual than my Genesis, SNES, 32X, and Saturn copies.

Balder's gate had an insane manual, IIRC. It was like a goddamn book.

Terminal Velocity comes with a very well put together manual for the PC, and since I got the deluxe set it also came with this huge strategy guide. It's the only strategy guide I have for a PC game. I already loved the game before I got the full version, and that guide helped me explore that game inside and out.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I love your threads, TSR.
    I have thought about, for years, building an old Win95 machine for DOS and old GLide games. I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI graphics card that I've held onto specifically for that purpose. I also have an old Soundblaster 32, I think, sitting around.
    I have a bunch of games on old floppies and CDs, which I really want to give a shot again, but I know that there is no support for such games yet.
    Like, the original X-Wing, in DOS, with non-textured polygons, and no spoken sound.

Also, I just moved. I found an two old boxes chock full of manuals and accessories (like posters and maps and whatnot). I don't really know what to do with it, because I have the games, but who cares about the manuals any more? I'm not really asking what to do with it, it was a rhetorical question.

edited January 2013
    I've paid upwards of $50 for a video game manual before. Just the manual, no box, no game. It was a rare game, though. There is a market for boxes and manuals, believe it or not. Obviously, just like games, some are worth more than others. You might have some luck looking for buyers over at the vintage computer forums.

EDIT: If you need proof that manuals and boxes hold value, go onto ebay, or amibay, or some other place where you can find old games for sale. Compare the sold prices of a game loose vs the sold price of a game MIB. That difference is the price of the box and manual. For some games, that paper and plastic can be worth more than the game itself. An example off the top of my head:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Bomberman-Sega-Saturn-1997-/160946721476?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item25792c12c4

Saturn Bomberman loose - $55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Bomberman-Sega-Saturn-COMPLETE-US-VERSION-Game-Bomber-Man-Bomb-Hudson-ss-/130822136770?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e759b63c2

Saturn Bomberman CIB - $140

The box and manual for that game was worth $85

TheSonicRetard on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Mechwarrior 2 is the reason why I built a Pentium Windows 95 box. My collector's edition version with the expansion refuses to run on any other platform.

I love that game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Mechwarrior 2 is the reason why I built a Pentium Windows 95 box. My collector's edition version with the expansion refuses to run on any other platform.

I love that game.

I'm certain I ran MechWarrior 2 on my 486, because I have distinct memories of when I got it, but it wasn't the collectors edition. it was the regular edition on floppy. I'm kinda worried about how games like MW2 and Duke Nukem 3D will run. I may have to build a pentium windows 95 box sooner than expected if these games run slow.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The best 486 for gaming is the DX4 100, no question. But the second best, and the most iconic, would be the beloved 486 DX 66.

And seriously, this thread needs more Dune 2, Civ 2, Sim City 2000, Ultima VII, Doom, Warcraft 2, Command & Conquer and definitely more Wing Commander.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    The best 486 for gaming is the DX4 100, no question. But the second best, and the most iconic, would be the beloved 486 DX 66.

And seriously, this thread needs more Dune 2, Civ 2, Sim City 2000, Ultima VII, Doom, Warcraft 2, Command & Conquer and definitely more Wing Commander.

Why in the world would anybody play the DOS version of Wing Commander when they could play the infinitely superior Super Wing Commander on the 3DO?

edited January 2013
    It's more like a whole new game. It's worth playing both. And that's ONE title in the series. There's also SM2, WC2, SO1&2, Privateer 1 & RF. WC3 & 4 are better on PC, especially the DVD version of 4.
    3 runs on a DX2, but 4 requires a DX4 or a P90.

EDIT: Also, the main dude from WC CIC (wcnews.com) who's now working as Community manager for RSI, he has built I think 3 or 4 WC machines... There are old school PCs, and I think also an amiga and/or a Mac.
    You should take a look, he posted photos and scavenging tales, and his main WC machine has all kinds of cool stuff in it.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    It's more like a whole new game. It's worth playing both. And that's ONE title in the series. There's also SM2, WC2, SO1&2, Privateer 1 & RF. WC3 & 4 are better on PC, especially the DVD version of 4.
    3 runs on a DX2, but 4 requires a DX4 or a P90.

I should have also noted that I have all the wing commander games on the Amiga as well, which are superior to their dos counterparts.

But Super Wing Commander and Wing Commander 3 on the 3DO are far and away the best games in the series, especially with an analog joystick, that I don't go back to the Amiga versions.

I love that game.

I'm certain I ran MechWarrior 2 on my 486, because I have distinct memories of when I got it, but it wasn't the collectors edition. it was the regular edition on floppy. I'm kinda worried about how games like MW2 and Duke Nukem 3D will run. I may have to build a pentium windows 95 box sooner than expected if these games run slow.

MW 2 has at least three different versions that I know about. DOS, A regular Win 95 version, and one that I think works in 98 and beyond that was bundled with certain pre built pcs/early 3D video cards.

The version I have was a bundle of MW2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy along with the strat guide and is almost impossible to install let alone get running on modern machines, though there have been patches for it in the past. It uses a very low number Direct X and hates windows 98 and beyond with a passion.

The DOS version of MW2 is also on the disc and runs fine but it doesn't look nearly as good and Netmech just refused to play nice with that version.

Early Windows 95 gaming is a super pain in the ass. I have a bunch of these old Sega PC ports - like Sonic CD, Ecco the Dolphin PC, Virtua Fighter PC, Panzer Dragoon PC, Comix Zone PC, etc. Some run without problem on newer machines, like Comix Zone. The 3D shit uses obscure 3DFX drivers and you have to use a Glide Wrapper to get them running today. There was another version of Sonic CD, the far more common one, that uses an early version of Direct X that can be patched to run. But the versions of Sonic CD and Ecco the Dolphin CD I have are suuuuuper early editions, which predate Direct X. Instead, they use their own proprietary API called Dino, and getting it to run on anything other than a specific speed pentium PC is impossible.

And it's annoying because, while Sonic CD's port is nothing special, Ecco the Dolphin's port is the best version of the game period. It features redrawn 256 color art not seen in any other ecco game, and uses the Sega CD soundtrack. It also adjusted the difficulty beyond the Sega CD port, and includes the mid-level checkpoints from the Sega CD release. It is a damned great port, well beyond Sega's usual ports of the time, and worth playing if you're an Ecco fan. Unlike Sonic CD, it was never re-released with a Direct X version, thus it remains incredibly elusive to play in real life.

I hate those sorts of weird compatibility problems.

edited January 2013
    And now I remember why a physical DOS machine is superior to emulating it. I got to play Tyrian 2000 once without issue. After that, all attempts are buggy in some way or another and quitting locks up my computer. Fucking DOSbox.

So much for being excited about GoG.

Edit - Thanks for the tip anyway though Slacker. I was shocked that GoG had more than a few games on offer for free the moment you signed up. Unfortunately Tyrian and the Ultima ones are the only games among those I'd heard of, and it's not even the notable Ultima games.

Henroid on
    And now I remember why a physical DOS machine is superior to emulating it. I got to play Tyrian 2000 once without issue. After that, all attempts are buggy in some way or another and quitting locks up my computer. Fucking DOSbox.

So much for being excited about GoG.

Man, that can happen on a real PC too. I remember I'd spend all night getting MK2 to run, then come back in the morning and suddenly the thing wouldn't work.

also, I thought you could run T2k as a native application in Windows 7 using compatibility support?

I'm on a Windows XP machine.

And yeah you're right. But I mean, reconfiguring or troubleshooting a DOS machine is way easier than troubleshooting a DOS emulation like DOSBox. I mean don't get me wrong, I appreciate the idea behind DOSBox and the fact that GoG wraps all DOS era games in it for you. But my patience for this sort of thing is nowhere near what it used to be.

I've gotta find Raptor among my belongings, I have it somewhere. I've gotten it to run on XP just fine before somehow.

I'm on a Windows XP machine.

And yeah you're right. But I mean, reconfiguring or troubleshooting a DOS machine is way easier than troubleshooting a DOS emulation like DOSBox. I mean don't get me wrong, I appreciate the idea behind DOSBox and the fact that GoG wraps all DOS era games in it for you. But my patience for this sort of thing is nowhere near what it used to be.

I've gotta find Raptor among my belongings, I have it somewhere. I've gotten it to run on XP just fine before somehow.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I vividly remember the nightmare of setting up games on my old 486 (and I'm excited to try that shit again now that I'm older and much more computer savvy) where as with my few experiences with DosBox, compatibility was as simple as simply increasing or decreasing the cycle speed. Game broken? Cycle down till it works. Like magic.

I just prefer the authentic.

As for Raptor...

7UtWGbl.jpg

I dunno where or how I got this as a kid - I definitely didn't mail off for it - but I've had it since I had my 486. It's the full version, but I'm not sure if it's the one that apogee actually sent out if you mailed off for it. The packaging looks... odd.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    oh man, this thread brought back a flood of memories. I had a buddy who had an old pre-windows computer and like 70 games on floppies that his family got from god-knows where. We spent so many hours going "Huh, this one's title sounds interesting" and losing an afternoon. The weirdest one, the most interesting and intriguing one, that we never even got past level 3 or 4 of, was called Inca. Really bizarre first person puzzle/shooter/space-shooter-while-you-fly-between-planets.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    oh man, this thread brought back a flood of memories. I had a buddy who had an old pre-windows computer and like 70 games on floppies that his family got from god-knows where. We spent so many hours going "Huh, this one's title sounds interesting" and losing an afternoon. The weirdest one, the most interesting and intriguing one, that we never even got past level 3 or 4 of, was called Inca. Really bizarre first person puzzle/shooter/space-shooter-while-you-fly-between-planets.

If we're talking pre-486, then I have tons and tons of no-name games like that. Just piles of what I'm sure must be PD games or games whose publishers have ceased to exist, stuff like that. I was going through some 5.25" floppies yesterday, and the names on the disks rang no bells. Those were the best kinds of games, too!

We had this game called TOP TEN SOLID GOLD HITS. It was 10 arcade game knockoffs... and it came bundled with Chuck Yager's fight sim. oh, I poured hours into that collection. There was a great Robotron knockoff on that collection that I wasted so much time with.

To put it into perspective what PC gaming was like for me at the time, one of the programs on that bundle was a paint program. Basically a crappy version of MS Paint. I couldn't play it - it required a mouse. My 8088 didn't have a mouse, or a serial port, or anything. Just... unplayable. I used to stare at the screenshots on the box for hours. When we finally got the 486 with Windows 3.1, Paint was my favorite "game" for a long time.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

I bought Duke Nukem 3D ages ago on a whim when it was on sale on GOG, so I have an account.

But I'm gonna check out the Mac section and see what's available.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop

I bought Duke Nukem 3D ages ago on a whim when it was on sale on GOG, so I have an account.

the internet is amazing. 20 damn years later, and I'm still able to gloat about DOS gaming to mac users, and it's still relevant.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

the internet is amazing. 20 damn years later, and I'm still able to gloat about DOS gaming to mac users, and it's still relevant.

Eh, but to be fair I don't really play games on my Mac, it's strictly an internet/productivity piece of hardware.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited January 2013

Eh, but to be fair I don't really play games on my Mac, it's strictly an internet/productivity piece of hardware.

Converse to my 486, which is neither productive nor internet ready, but ZOMG GAMZ OUT DA ASS.

Funny how time is circular.

As in, I'm fairly sure I had this exact conversation with chums on the schoolyard like 20 years ago.

TheSonicRetard on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Where is Lemmings? It had so many versions, I spent hours just playing the demos. Or Jetpack? Or that Mario knock-off that had one version with four levels and another version with six and a different name (it was by the author of Charlie the Duck, I think)? Or Rogue? Or ZZT? ZEEE ZEEE TEEE!!!

Frem wrote: »
    Where is Lemmings? It had so many versions, I spent hours just playing the demos. Or Jetpack? Or that Mario knock-off that had one version with four levels and another version with six and a different name (it was by the author of Charlie the Duck, I think)? Or Rogue? Or ZZT? ZEEE ZEEE TEEE!!!

I have Lemmings and Oh no More lemmings for the PC, that came with lemmings paintball, but Lemmings is objectively an Amiga series. It was born on the Amiga, it rose to stardom on the Amiga, and th best versions are on the Amiga. I have Lemmings and Lemmings 2: The Tribes on the Amiga.

I also have 3D lemmings for the Sega Saturn, only released in europe. I have a good deal of nostalgia for that game, as I used to play the shit out of the demo on my 486. "Builda! Basha!"

I have Jetpac for my ZX Spectrum (which I don't like very much) and I have that Mario clone (I know the exact one you're talking about... Mario & Luigi lol) on a 3.5" floppy. And, of course, I have ZZT on some old floppies, although it might be a bootleg.

You also just reminded me, I had the demo for the PC version of Battle Arena Toshinden and I remember it looking a fair deal better than either the PSX or Saturn versions. I'll have to try to track that game down.

It's nothing special now after Sonic Gems and the even better new version but Sonic CD for Windows was actually a damn good port back then. I remember it was the only good game that came with my cousins computer when I set it up for her and it was a pain to get running even then!

Lemmings doesn't really have a home per se for superior versions as they took care in porting that game.

edited January 2013
    It's nothing special now after Sonic Gems and the even better new version but Sonic CD for Windows was actually a damn good port back then. I remember it was the only good game that came with my cousins computer when I set it up for her and it was a pain to get running even then!

Lemmings doesn't really have a home per se for superior versions as they took care in porting that game.

No it wasnt, even in 1995 it was a poor port, missing features with non looping music. And funnily enough, the gems port is much worse.

Lemmings has a home - its the system it was made for, the one that received the most expansion packs, the one that has exclusive levels based off of other amiga properties, the one that was made by the team that conceptualized the game, the one made by the people who made the tools that all other ports were made off of, the one that deluxe paint included tutorials for, the one that predates any other version, the only version with the full 2-player mode, the only version that supports dual mice. the amiga, if its not obvious.

TheSonicRetard on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I remember buying a CD with a bunch of demos on, one being Mechwarrior 2. I didn't have a pc that could play it, much less a CD drive. What I did have was a friend from school with a nice rig, and I'd hightail it over to his place after school and play the demo over and over. I defended the shit out of that firebase, son.

It wasn't until many years (and computers) later that I managed to play the retail version.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Early Windows 95 gaming is a super pain in the ass. I have a bunch of these old Sega PC ports - like Sonic CD, Ecco the Dolphin PC, Virtua Fighter PC, Panzer Dragoon PC, Comix Zone PC, etc. Some run without problem on newer machines, like Comix Zone. The 3D shit uses obscure 3DFX drivers and you have to use a Glide Wrapper to get them running today. There was another version of Sonic CD, the far more common one, that uses an early version of Direct X that can be patched to run. But the versions of Sonic CD and Ecco the Dolphin CD I have are suuuuuper early editions, which predate Direct X. Instead, they use their own proprietary API called Dino, and getting it to run on anything other than a specific speed pentium PC is impossible.
    You know, it's always seemed really strange to me how there are a billion Glide wrappers floating around, yet nobody even remembers shit like Speedy3D/RRedline or ATI CIF. I mean, what's up with that?

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    You know, it's always seemed really strange to me how there are a billion Glide wrappers floating around, yet nobody even remembers shit like Speedy3D/RRedline or ATI CIF. I mean, what's up with that?

I think it takes a special kind of masochist to look back on those with any kind of nostalgia. :)

But a serious answer, is there any reason to? Were there any significant games that used those technologies that weren't ported to something that has more stood the test of time?

Firstly, sorry, @Henroid, DOSBOX is definitely much, much easier to fine tune than the real thing. I spent more time fiddling with 3 1/2 boot disks than playing Ultima VII with full voice and sound. Same goes for Privateer.
    It was fucking hell, Config.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, Himem and XMS/EMS and loadhi and the drivers... Dosbox is not only faster to get right, it's also portable. And it kinda "cheats" in your favor. Even if you still need to get the cycles and some of the settings right, the most annoying and clunky part of the process is taken care for you transparently. No more worrying about what part of the RAM you're gonna load the stuff, so you can have every last byte out of these precious 640KB.

Secondly, sheesh, @TheSonicRetard, for someone who memorized so much data about games, you still don't get it, do you? Talking about "I'll only play 1 and 3 because they're BETTER" is just...

camo_sig2.png
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    Firstly, sorry, @Henroid, DOSBOX is definitely much, much easier to fine tune than the real thing. I spent more time fiddling with 3 1/2 boot disks than playing Ultima VII with full voice and sound. Same goes for Privateer.
    It was fucking hell, Config.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, Himem and XMS/EMS and loadhi and the drivers... Dosbox is not only faster to get right, it's also portable. And it kinda "cheats" in your favor. Even if you still need to get the cycles and some of the settings right, the most annoying and clunky part of the process is taken care for you transparently. No more worrying about what part of the RAM you're gonna load the stuff, so you can have every last byte out of these precious 640KB.

Secondly, sheesh, @TheSonicRetard, for someone who memorized so much data about games, you still don't get it, do you? Talking about "I'll only play 1 and 3 because they're BETTER" is just...

That's so weird! I was just about to post how much of a pain in the ass it was to get Ultima VII to run back in the day, and how you don't have to deal with that shit with DOSBOX. Of course, now there's Exult, which is even better, but still.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    tumblr_lr53mmAgwP1qbqdik.jpg

486dx2 childhood all up ins.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    No Catacomb love? The purple and green was in my dreams for years

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    You know, the more I think about it, the less likely I'd be to want to get a computer older than a Pentium II. Or play anything natively through DOS.
    I mean, there's nothing like spending a whole fucking afternoon configuring the IRQ and such to try to get sound. And once you have that you have to try with video. Though video is a bit easier, you'll still run into the random-ass crashes (that would take down the whole computer, nice!) when rendering certain resolution and such.
    I think I'll go back to Win98SE, because fuck that noise.
    Have fun, TSR.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    No love for Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri?

g00690c6nfcwu9.jpg

Casually Hardcore on