As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-PAX AUS Party?

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Okay, we'll I'll officially put my hand up to take the reigns. Like I said if you want to be involved in organizing it or want to throw around ideas around let me know. I'll put up a dedicated thread in the next month or so. Just to make sure it's out there. Looking forward to it :)

• FallbreakerFallbreaker Registered User regular
    The JC is great for size! And it's a decent pub, no food though their kitchen closed down recently. Good kebabs down the road though. Never seen anything gaming related though, not sure if it's the best for us PAX people, it's a little quiet, in a quieter part of the city. But also you don't have to pay to get in (coss it's a pub).

BTW, I live in Melbourne but I'm probably not the best person to help organize a party. I can suggest stuff though.

• SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    You might be able to make use of a pub like Melbourne Public or something else more central. I run various events in pubs around the CBD, so I am happy to help.

The JC needs to have some food for sale at the bar, or they will be violating their licensing for the premises. Are you sure it is closed, or just being refitted?

Oh crap, The JC is The John CURTIN not 'John Collins'. Sorry I mixed that up.The last time I was there was about a month ago and they had had no working kitchen for a fair few months. Their website atm says:
    "BYO CHOW TIME Order In from one of the MANY Take out and Delivery Joints about The Curtin". http://www.johncurtinhotel.com/
    Another cool pub that I know of is Bar Open http://www.baropen.com.au/ I'm not sure if it's be the best for us though hmmmm.
    We have to find the right mix of location, size and style.

Oooh, also found this. A geeky bar, in the CBD. http://www.thecroftinstitute.com/

• philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    The Croft Institute is tiny, and terrible value :P a solid D- from me.

Depending on the number of people, there are plennnnnty of places in the CBD that would offer up free space for a night..

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • retrospekt_daveretrospekt_dave Founder of Retrospekt.com.au Adelaide, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wow that place looks sweet! I did come across this place (as I'm heading over to SquareSounds in February which is at the Evelyn hotel in Brunswick) which I might check out at some point that weekend:

http://www.nakedforsatan.com.au/naked-in-the-sky/

Yeah I know.. I assure you it's not NSFW nor is it a strip joint.

Mod Edit: actually, that website is kinda NSFW (naked butts). We try to err on the side of caution with anything potentially nsfw.

zerzhul on
  • UmbraLucisUmbraLucis Registered User regular
    Not sure if my last post got eaten by a grue along the way so here's the gist of it again. Other possible venues that we could check out - they're all in the CBD so pretty easy to get to:

ACMI
    Eureka89
    BoatBuilders Yard
    Galactic Circus (this one may not be less desirable as it's definitely not got a sit back and relax vibe. Still, games!)

Domo's are like cookies. One's just never enough.
  • retrospekt_daveretrospekt_dave Founder of Retrospekt.com.au Adelaide, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Sorry about that Mod!

While on the subject of places.. and again one not too far from Mana Bar either, is the Evelyn Hotel?

retrospekt_dave on
    I'm just throwing out some suggestions - Galactic Circus does have private events but while it's a good location there's not a lot of sit back and relax space. There's also Eureka89 which can take up to 400 people. Or maybe the Boatbuilders Yard or ACMI?

I'm just throwing out some suggestions - Galactic Circus does have private events but while it's a good location there's not a lot of sit back and relax space. There's also Eureka89 which can take up to 400 people. Or maybe the Boatbuilders Yard or ACMI?

• DrakaasiDrakaasi Registered User new member
    The Asian Beer Cafe is a nice place, takes up to 500
    asianbeercafe.com.au/

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, thanks so much for these links, I've been looking into venues (but had some technical troubles due to the Sunshine State's recent week of torrential downpour) So I'm looking back into it again. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, I will have a survey to go up so that I can get a better idea of what you guys are wanting in terms of the afterparty!

Keep you up to date! Expect the survey in the next 8 hours :D

edited January 2013
    Okay guys, when you get a sec, feel free to fill out this survey, if you have questions, or further feedback, send me a message through the forums :)

POST PAX AUS PARTY SURVEY!!! ----> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/92HRWCZ

And please fill out all the questions there's like 7, and they're multiple choice :P

Danacyrus on
  • DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Great survey. Done. Hope it helps :-)

So like I said, I'll get onto a new thread once I have sufficient details, I'll also hook up a twitter page and eventbrite to keep people up to date and what not!!

Looking forward to this!!!

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Everything in that survey makes me feel that the party will be awesome. Can I recommend putting a link to this thread on it somewhere so people who do it via another medium (eg Twitter) can be brought back here for more information later?

CuZZa on
    I'll be making a new thread in the immediate future :) I'll put it there. So that I can keep the page up to date and what not :)

I'll also put up the twitter details and stuff :D

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    I just surveyed the yinyang out of that thing.

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    completed the survey, hopefully you'll get some ideas :)

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
    Thanks, guys I appreciate the effort :D

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Done and done... ps - you need a Maybe to are you coming, and Spirits to the drinks list :)

edited January 2013
    Basics are a given ;)

And there is not maybe >: |

Danacyrus on
  • FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Danacyrus wrote: »

There is only do or do not!

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    Danacyrus wrote: »

There is only do or do not!

did a little green frog man tell you that?

So, we have a venue!

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Awesome! Venue!

• DrakaasiDrakaasi Registered User new member
    Where?

One of the venues in The Inflation Complex, right in the middle of Melbourne.

Where!??!?!?!

http://www.inflation.com.au/

is this the place? looks kinda erotic with all their pics for bucks and hens nights LOL

if so it's good cos it's within walking distance of the hotel ibis melbourne.

• SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Danacyrus - the King St area is definitely not where you want to go. Not an ideal place for people to be at night.

though if we rock up and leave in a big group then it should be ok: safety in numbers as they say!

but then i haven't been to melb in ages so.....

k

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    People will think it's one hell of a hens night :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
    edited February 2013
    The Venue is actually called Geddes Lounge - The Basement and depending on numbers, we might move to the larger area.

@SandmanTech Although I do understand your concerns, To be quite honest I think definitely not enough for a different venue, I have talked to numerous friends that frequent the area (girls and guys of varying ages) and they have all said that the location of the chosen venue is not a problem, and that especially if you are coming with a friend or so you will not feel unsafe at all. If you have further concerns, feel free to send me a PM. We also do have security at the venue. Also, all attendees are adults and should be able to handle themselves perfectly well on their way to the venue.

Danacyrus on
    it should be good! what's the capacity like?

Depends on how many we get, Easy 200-250. But if the numbers warrant it, more :P

ah ok.

This discussion has been closed.