As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedwig and the Angry [chat]

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    It's called adolescent egocentrism because you do grow out of it.

It's not at all the same thing as narcissism. It's almost like a twisted mirror of it. The narcissist loves themselves, the typical teenager feels like they have a unique life experience that no one else can understand (usually in a negative way) and also a crippling sense that everyone is hyper-aware of them.

People grow up and realize that they are almost universally average and even if they are geniuses they still have life experiences that are relatable to some other people, and also that mostly no one is paying any attention to them, let alone studying them intently to ferret out all their horrible flaws.

Teenagers also spend a lot of time studying each other, trying to ferret out their most socially exploitable flaws, so there is that.

Or at least a certain unavoidable subset do.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    @ronya

They changed the law on my mortgage credit for this year! Now it's capped at $2000 and is deducted from the mortgage interest deduction. Dropped my credit amount from over $7K to just $2000. That change basically cut my return amount in half. It cost me a couple thousand bucks!

Man, fuck. That is really disappointing. I was gonna rebuild my back fence with that money.

Good riddance to tax code carve-outs for special interests!

Just a reminder that a promise isn't a promise when it's made by the government.

I'm only 50% joking here. This one stings like whoa.

I'm not gonna lie, I am (was? will regret the potential loss of?) looking forward to that deduction once I become a Responsible Adult With Two-Point-Five Kids and a Mortgage, even if it means extra headaches with itemized deductions instead of my lovely 1040EZ's. Paying twice the sticker price on a house in the course of a mortgage is not extremely appealing.

Worth noting houses would be less expensive if we didn't have all these tax breaks for buying them.

At least, if one wants to make that argument about Pell Grants, one would have to apply the same logic to houses.

Hey now.

All this fiscal responsibility mumbo-jumbo is cool, but when I have to make tangible personal sacrifices instead of some kind of abstract pie-in-the-sky compromise on bullshit social issues? Well that's where I draw the line, sir.

I haven't heard many people make the Pell Grants argument. I mean, I'm sure you're right and it's a thing that is done, but I've heard much more bitching about subsidized student loans than Pell Grants per se.

It's also bullshit that I got gypped out of a substantial portion of my Pell Grant money for daring to turn 24, which is the age where for FAFSA purposes you're classified as an independent -- even though literally nothing else about your SES situation has changed.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    You all need to go back and read my post from the last page and take a moment to reflect how awesome the PA community is as a whole.

It was pretty cool. This community has always been great, when you get down to brass tacks. I mean, look, none of us here 100% agree on anything, we're all a sad lot of enablers, attention seekers, whores, and villains, but overall, when the chips are down, this community is good.

I feel like I'm definitely most of those things. Mooostly the last one.

Also, while I'm here, allow me to officially begin my petition to ban cat and dog pics from [chat].

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I haven't written a poem in almost two months :c

i haven't written a poem since the 3rd grade
    when i was humiliated in my mispronunciation of facade

CHU THOSE WORDS DON'T RHYME

i've told this story before but it was actually an emotionally charged thing about like, my dad having abandoned me. iirc it was like 'show your true colors, drop the facade / why did you leave, you should have stayed.

i actually think it was more like the 5th grade too, come to think of it. in the third grade i'd only be like 8? and i don't think i'd have the idiomatic ability to write that in english at the time.

this makes it worse.

*seppuku*

dumb and unloved

a terrible fate

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @ronya

They changed the law on my mortgage credit for this year! Now it's capped at $2000 and is deducted from the mortgage interest deduction. Dropped my credit amount from over $7K to just $2000. That change basically cut my return amount in half. It cost me a couple thousand bucks!

Man, fuck. That is really disappointing. I was gonna rebuild my back fence with that money.

Just a reminder that a promise isn't a promise when it's made by the government.

I'm not gonna lie, I am (was? will regret the potential loss of?) looking forward to that deduction once I become a Responsible Adult With Two-Point-Five Kids and a Mortgage, even if it means extra headaches with itemized deductions instead of my lovely 1040EZ's. Paying twice the sticker price on a house in the course of a mortgage is not extremely appealing.

This was a really narrow extra credit I qualified for back in 2004... it's not the mortgage interest, but for a few years now it's been basically doubling my tax return. Now it's hardly helping at all.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @desc: primo read http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essays/the-wire-300_simon-reynolds-on-the-hardcore-continuum_introduction

also, apparently caffeinated maple syrup is a thing that exists

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Geth's parameters appear to have changed dramatically.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

i haven't written a poem since the 3rd grade
    when i was humiliated in my mispronunciation of facade

CHU THOSE WORDS DON'T RHYME

i've told this story before but it was actually an emotionally charged thing about like, my dad having abandoned me. iirc it was like 'show your true colors, drop the facade / why did you leave, you should have stayed.

i actually think it was more like the 5th grade too, come to think of it. in the third grade i'd only be like 8? and i don't think i'd have the idiomatic ability to write that in english at the time.

this makes it worse.

*seppuku*

I can remember my deep belly laughs rolling over vent

bathing you in remembered shame

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    You know, that's probably the first time I've ever seen the concept "You owe the world something" spelled out that explicitly.

I don't care for it.

I think we all owe the world a bit, actually. Nothing we do is without consequence and a life spent not trying to at least improve the little patch of earth around us or the lot of the people we care for is a wasted experience. But that blithering fuckwit of a judge should just as well be telling people his own age that. Teens are a bit solipsistic but a) that is normal, b) many still want to pitch in as much as anyone else, and c) wanting to have fun is normal and doesn't mean someone isn't "mowing the lawn" or not looking for a job or any of that nonsense.

See funnily enough I actually agree to a certain degree with what the judge said but it's just said in such a manner that I can't help but bristle at it and find it really distasteful.

On a note that doesn't really regard myself personally and is more a general idea, I feel like telling kids who are doing potentially destructive things to make themselves more productive to society is folly, because they probably haven't discovered a proper outlet for whatever lack of purpose they might feel in life. Giving them something fun and productive to do to spend their time with like public recreation just feels like the correct thing to do.

It's hard to really articulate what bugs me about it personally, though. I aspire to do good things in my life, but I don't have some major goal in terms of what I want to do or feel like I want to leave anything significant behind. It really just boils down to helping people close to me, basically mostly my friends and family, except it feels like it's all a bit muddied by the fact that I only really have the means to look out for myself at the moment. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough yet that I have a clear picture of what I could do. I guess in the end I don't want to feel like my choice in how I spend my time is invalidated because I'm not actively striving to make the world better.

Without trying to sound like an ass, this sentence feels to me almost like "I don't want to be judged for choosing selfishness, it ought to be equally valid."

I don't think that's what you were driving at, but it kinda comes off that way to me.

Yeah I can see that

I just don't know exactly what I can offer, and I think a lot of this is probably just a personal issue in not having a lot of certainty about where I'm going

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It's not at all the same thing as narcissism. It's almost like a twisted mirror of it. The narcissist loves themselves, the typical teenager feels like they have a unique life experience that no one else can understand (usually in a negative way) and also a crippling sense that everyone is hyper-aware of them.

People grow up and realize that they are almost universally average and even if they are geniuses they still have life experiences that are relatable to some other people, and also that mostly no one is paying any attention to them, let alone studying them intently to ferret out all their horrible flaws.

Teenagers also spend a lot of time studying each other, trying to ferret out their most socially exploitable flaws, so there is that.

I suppose that's true. But adults don't do that.

Unless you are around some seriously childish adults, in which case I suggest finding new people to hang out with, because 99% of grown ups have way, way, way more important things to do than that.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vZS5alzmwzE

this girl won the 'save the pell grant' contest at my school

it's a p big topic of discussion at my community college, mostly because the max pell grant ($5,500) is almost exactly the cost of a full time load at my school

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I basically hate feeling like I've got any obligation to anyone beyond what I have personally and explicitly signed up for

I don't see how telling teenagers to contribute meaningfully is going to get them to do it unless they're already the sort to have that attitude

Have you watched My Super Sweet 16?

A lot of teenagers are direly ignorant of the world around them and could desperately stand to grow as people by putting something else ahead of themselves for a while.

But again, I hasten to add that none of this has anything to do with whether or not we should have skate parks or kid-safe hangouts or any of that.

There's a thing about teenage brains and a self-oriented frame of reference that is strikingly obvious when it's pointed out a couple of times. Often, experiences are processed beginning with "how this affects me". Even charity and selflessness runs through that self-oriented frame.

I completely agree. I think it's something that gets grown out of, usually, with enough life experience.

And enough brain development, natch

Yep, there's some straight-up brain physical growth and development that has yet to happen when you're a teenager, esp early teen years.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Unless you are around some seriously childish adults, in which case I suggest finding new people to hang out with, because 99% of grown ups have way, way, way more important things to do than that.

This is my work situation right now

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I haven't written fiction in 6 years

O RLY
    I am a cool dude and the life of the party

is this a joke wherein you accuse me of making a positive claim about myself and suggest it is false, meaning that I have in fact written fiction

is this what you're doing here jacob

well it feels less clever when you put it like that!

rRwz9.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Geth's parameters appear to have changed dramatically.

Uh- oh!
    *pushes dk towards Geth and runs away*

Caveman Paws on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Jerry's gf (Tricia Helfer) is a vegan, gluten-free, lactose intolerant model. ELAINE:"What DOES she eat?" J:"I believe she enjoys lettuce."

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    despite being a randroid, i was a very charitable and thoughtful teenager. i actually grew more selfish (on a personal level) as i aged. i now support a very broad social safety network and helping out the disadvantaged on an institutional level and all that. but in my personal life i just want to have a lot of fun, fuck some beautiful ladies, eat some awesome food, maybe hike a few cool mountains, jump off a diving board or two, get a badass dog, etc.

i dunno. i have grown more self-absorbed as i've aged.

maybe some of this is a consequence of how focused you are on self-improvement right now.

rRwz9.gif
    This was a really narrow extra credit I qualified for back in 2004... it's not the mortgage interest, but for a few years now it's been basically doubling my tax return. Now it's hardly helping at all.

I had a kid this year

that money's gotta come from somewhere

snatch the plate you eatin on

Too familiar, not businesslike enough would be my guess?

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

It becomes acceptable again when you hit graduate/law/professional school.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Man, the black tux pants + black vest + white tux coat + red rose on lapel + white shirt + black tie combo is actually pretty fly

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I offered the world my D.

The world said "No jeepguy please, we can't handle your D"

I said "Your loss, world."

And then I moved on, knowing that the world had its one chance and now I don't owe it nothin.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Too familiar, not businesslike enough would be my guess?

Yep

I may have found an exit

Will likely know in the next week

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    hrmmmmmmm

not much to do tonight

sig.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    So the students were learning about compliments and comparisons

Like, "you are good at baseball, you are like Ichiro," "you are good at tennis, you are like Sharapova," etc. So the teacher wrote "Simon, you are cool. You are like Beckham!" as an example, then said I should write a response while the kids wrote theirs

And I was flummoxed for a response, because I am awful at this kind of thing

So first I wrote "You are kind like a cat"

Then I went with "You are sweet like a delicious candy"

Then "You are warm like a freshly baked cake"

Finally, "you are refreshing like a cup of barley tea on a hot day"

Anyway the main lesson the kids learned is that I am terrible at giving compliments, also may have a mildly creepy food fixation

Truly I am the greatest at teaching these Englishes

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hm, I am trying to make a list of Japanese people that are famous around the world. I know some obvious ones. You know, Miyazaki for animation, Kurosawa for film, Shigeru Miyamoto for videogames, Ichiro for baseball, Ken Watanabe for acting, etc.

Notice something with this list? Yeah, it's all dudes. When it comes to famous female Japanese people around the world I am drawing total blanks. You guys know anyone?

@Mazzyx @Elldren @Poshniallo @cokebottle

that chick who chopped the dude's dick off

rRwz9.gif
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

it's a p big topic of discussion at my community college, mostly because the max pell grant ($5,500) is almost exactly the cost of a full time load at my school

The nice thing now is that because I had to take out loans for the first time this semester (spent the fall in Dubai), my Pell money is all cash that I get because the loans already cover the tuition.

Free money from the government.
    leskomatthew.jpg

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @ronya

Worth noting houses would be less expensive if we didn't have all these tax breaks for buying them.

At least, if one wants to make that argument about Pell Grants, one would have to apply the same logic to houses.

Hey now.

All this fiscal responsibility mumbo-jumbo is cool, but when I have to make tangible personal sacrifices instead of some kind of abstract pie-in-the-sky compromise on bullshit social issues? Well that's where I draw the line, sir.

I haven't heard many people make the Pell Grants argument. I mean, I'm sure you're right and it's a thing that is done, but I've heard much more bitching about subsidized student loans than Pell Grants per se.

It's also bullshit that I got gypped out of a substantial portion of my Pell Grant money for daring to turn 24, which is the age where for FAFSA purposes you're classified as an independent -- even though literally nothing else about your SES situation has changed.

Weird, I got a massive raise in my pell grant when I got over 24 since my EFC dropped to 0.

Cinders on

The nice thing now is that because I had to take out loans for the first time this semester (spent the fall in Dubai), my Pell money is all cash that I get because the loans already cover the tuition.

Free money from the government.
    leskomatthew.jpg

Sell it for cash

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

This is awesome. Without the Pell Grant I would not be in graduate school now.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

This is not a thing I am familiar with so...

Waaaaaait whaaaaaaaat?!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I haven't written fiction in 6 years

O RLY
    I am a cool dude and the life of the party

is this a joke wherein you accuse me of making a positive claim about myself and suggest it is false, meaning that I have in fact written fiction

is this what you're doing here jacob

well it feels less clever when you put it like that!

see for a second i thought that you were suggesting i was in fact cool and the life of the party, to make me feel better about the emptiness of my dreams and the waste of my talent in a sinking, sucking void of despair and unmotivation, accompanied by heavy drinking and overconsumption of television

and that everyone awesomed the post because they think i'm great

but it turns out that wasn't the case

so because i'm also single and living alone my last sex act will be to fellate a gunbarrel

thanks jacob

thank you

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hm, I am trying to make a list of Japanese people that are famous around the world. I know some obvious ones. You know, Miyazaki for animation, Kurosawa for film, Shigeru Miyamoto for videogames, Ichiro for baseball, Ken Watanabe for acting, etc.

Notice something with this list? Yeah, it's all dudes. When it comes to famous female Japanese people around the world I am drawing total blanks. You guys know anyone?

Lorena Bobbitt is Japanese or am I too old?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    my parents did not help me with college at all

but their income was still factored in to my stuff so I didn't qualify for need based help

so yay lots of loans, even with the GI bill

:(

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    despite being a randroid, i was a very charitable and thoughtful teenager. i actually grew more selfish (on a personal level) as i aged. i now support a very broad social safety network and helping out the disadvantaged on an institutional level and all that. but in my personal life i just want to have a lot of fun, fuck some beautiful ladies, eat some awesome food, maybe hike a few cool mountains, jump off a diving board or two, get a badass dog, etc.

i dunno. i have grown more self-absorbed as i've aged.

maybe some of this is a consequence of how focused you are on self-improvement right now.

i'm gonna forget all the little people, once i hit the top. but i'll bring the big people with me... i need some dick, after all.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Lorena Bobbitt is Japanese or am I too old?

The voice of Pikachu

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    So bam margera made a rap/dubstep music video about wanting to be able to fuck himself in the ass in which he pisses in his own mouth in Iceland.

I mean if he can get a girl anyone can right?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
This discussion has been closed.