As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedwig and the Angry [chat]

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    This was a really narrow extra credit I qualified for back in 2004... it's not the mortgage interest, but for a few years now it's been basically doubling my tax return. Now it's hardly helping at all.

I had a kid this year

that money's gotta come from somewhere

snatch the plate you eatin on

damnit did you see the state of my backyard?

Angry eyes!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I like that Pikachu means electric mouse or some shit

Why is that a word that exists

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    @desc: primo read http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essays/the-wire-300_simon-reynolds-on-the-hardcore-continuum_introduction

also, apparently caffeinated maple syrup is a thing that exists

nostalgia time :3

also those would make for jittery waffles

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

that chick who chopped the dude's dick off

This is not a thing I am familiar with so...

Waaaaaait whaaaaaaaat?!

Lorena Bobbitt is the only one I know of. Or at least the most famous one.

glancing through the wiki on Bobbitt, I see a mention of Sada Abe

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    People downstairs are singing Cher's Believe at the top of their lungs.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    She spent all her Pell Grant money on tattoos and a guitar.

Eliminate entitlements.

Eliminate food stamps. God has provided us an unlimited bounty to harvest and enough firearms to kill it all.

Eliminate public education. Truly worthwhile students will find a way to pay for private school. Eliminate healthcare subsidies-Jesus heals the deserving.

Take the savings, roll it all back into the defense budget.

Win/Win Regina for President 2016

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Grad school put me in a state of crisis and I didn't realize it. I was getting super depressed and withdrawing/being overcritical of everything and everyone. First year sucks because we don't have a long-term lab and we just bounce around while trying to roll with our oppressive work/class loads.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    @ronya

They changed the law on my mortgage credit for this year! Now it's capped at $2000 and is deducted from the mortgage interest deduction. Dropped my credit amount from over $7K to just $2000. That change basically cut my return amount in half. It cost me a couple thousand bucks!

Man, fuck. That is really disappointing. I was gonna rebuild my back fence with that money.

Good riddance to tax code carve-outs for special interests!

Just a reminder that a promise isn't a promise when it's made by the government.

I'm only 50% joking here. This one stings like whoa.

I'm not gonna lie, I am (was? will regret the potential loss of?) looking forward to that deduction once I become a Responsible Adult With Two-Point-Five Kids and a Mortgage, even if it means extra headaches with itemized deductions instead of my lovely 1040EZ's. Paying twice the sticker price on a house in the course of a mortgage is not extremely appealing.

Worth noting houses would be less expensive if we didn't have all these tax breaks for buying them.

At least, if one wants to make that argument about Pell Grants, one would have to apply the same logic to houses.

Hey now.

All this fiscal responsibility mumbo-jumbo is cool, but when I have to make tangible personal sacrifices instead of some kind of abstract pie-in-the-sky compromise on bullshit social issues? Well that's where I draw the line, sir.

I haven't heard many people make the Pell Grants argument. I mean, I'm sure you're right and it's a thing that is done, but I've heard much more bitching about subsidized student loans than Pell Grants per se.

It's also bullshit that I got gypped out of a substantial portion of my Pell Grant money for daring to turn 24, which is the age where for FAFSA purposes you're classified as an independent -- even though literally nothing else about your SES situation has changed.

Weird, I got a massive raise in my pell grant when I got over 24 since my EFC dropped to 0.

My EFC was already zero, and went up to like 1300 -- though apparently EFC != $$$. I made a whopping $6,000 last year from working part-time at a Walgreens (because my workload at school didn't allow me to do anything but work weekends), which apparently placed me in the Super Rich category of Pell Grant recipients; my Pell went from the $5500 max per academic year to $4200. I straight lost $1300 because I turned 24.

:\

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    diplo you all loud as fuck in my ears, chill out

You know, that's probably the first time I've ever seen the concept "You owe the world something" spelled out that explicitly.

I don't care for it.

I think we all owe the world a bit, actually. Nothing we do is without consequence and a life spent not trying to at least improve the little patch of earth around us or the lot of the people we care for is a wasted experience. But that blithering fuckwit of a judge should just as well be telling people his own age that. Teens are a bit solipsistic but a) that is normal, b) many still want to pitch in as much as anyone else, and c) wanting to have fun is normal and doesn't mean someone isn't "mowing the lawn" or not looking for a job or any of that nonsense.

See funnily enough I actually agree to a certain degree with what the judge said but it's just said in such a manner that I can't help but bristle at it and find it really distasteful.

On a note that doesn't really regard myself personally and is more a general idea, I feel like telling kids who are doing potentially destructive things to make themselves more productive to society is folly, because they probably haven't discovered a proper outlet for whatever lack of purpose they might feel in life. Giving them something fun and productive to do to spend their time with like public recreation just feels like the correct thing to do.

It's hard to really articulate what bugs me about it personally, though. I aspire to do good things in my life, but I don't have some major goal in terms of what I want to do or feel like I want to leave anything significant behind. It really just boils down to helping people close to me, basically mostly my friends and family, except it feels like it's all a bit muddied by the fact that I only really have the means to look out for myself at the moment. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough yet that I have a clear picture of what I could do. I guess in the end I don't want to feel like my choice in how I spend my time is invalidated because I'm not actively striving to make the world better.

Without trying to sound like an ass, this sentence feels to me almost like "I don't want to be judged for choosing selfishness, it ought to be equally valid."

I don't think that's what you were driving at, but it kinda comes off that way to me.

Yeah I can see that

I just don't know exactly what I can offer, and I think a lot of this is probably just a personal issue in not having a lot of certainty about where I'm going

You seem like good people and I'm sure you'll find a spot in your life where you feel like you've got a comfortable stability, and you can turn your focus a little more toward other things you'd like to get involved in.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Pikachu is a combination of ピカピカ pikapika (onomatopoeia for sparkle) and チューチュー chūchū (the sound of squeaking).

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    despite being a randroid, i was a very charitable and thoughtful teenager. i actually grew more selfish (on a personal level) as i aged. i now support a very broad social safety network and helping out the disadvantaged on an institutional level and all that. but in my personal life i just want to have a lot of fun, fuck some beautiful ladies, eat some awesome food, maybe hike a few cool mountains, jump off a diving board or two, get a badass dog, etc.

i dunno. i have grown more self-absorbed as i've aged.

maybe some of this is a consequence of how focused you are on self-improvement right now.

@Organichu I should emphasize that I mean this in a matter-of-fact way, not like, mad or anything. You're busy turning from a tiny pupa into a full moth with giant terrifying wings and a killer poison sting, so naturally personal development and questions of where you want to be are first and foremost in your mind.

But I posit that when you have started to feel more comfortable with where you are, you will begin to find time to think about the world around you again. It might not even be in the way you're thinking, about, like volunteerism or that. Maybe you'll phone bank for a presidential candidate, or maybe you'll just attend PTA meetings all the time or something.

rRwz9.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    People downstairs are singing Cher's Believe at the top of their lungs.

Well ya know what Cinders?

Now, so am I.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Pikachu is a combination of ピカピカ pikapika (onomatopoeia for sparkle) and チューチュー chūchū (the sound of squeaking).

I thought onomatopoeia was actually he sound of mice sneezing

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    sparklesqueak you get back here right now

sig.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    my parents did not help me with college at all

but their income was still factored in to my stuff so I didn't qualify for need based help

so yay lots of loans, even with the GI bill

:(

Yeah, I never qualified for Pell Grants because, apparently, making $25,000 per year at 24 makes you some bourgeois country club member who can afford to finance his own education.

Of course, then I didn't finish, so all I have to show for it is a loan payment every month.

Fffffffffffffff

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

but their income was still factored in to my stuff so I didn't qualify for need based help

The thing that sucks about that is, a lot of people's parents do help them pay for school. Some don't, many can't, many could if they had been frugal or wiser but were idiots and so can't.

But if they didn't take parental income into account, every single student would claim no parental support.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    No idea why I had to share this...but....

I just had the fastest hospital visit, of all time. I go in, they ask what the problem is (swollen abscess on my leg, no idea from what), the nurse goes mmhmm mmhmm, okay come on back. Before I even know what's going on, the doctor has me stripped, my leg lidocaine'd up, the abscess drained, a prescription for antibiotics and painkillers written and I'm on my way.

I was in, worked on, and out, in no more than 20 minutes. For whatever reason, that just seems amazing to me, since I had, you know, an actual medical procedure done.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    diplo you all loud as fuck in my ears, chill out

he's just... expressing himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF1lU-CrQfc

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Chu attending PTA meetings all the time is a hilarious thought to me for some reason

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    despite being a randroid, i was a very charitable and thoughtful teenager. i actually grew more selfish (on a personal level) as i aged. i now support a very broad social safety network and helping out the disadvantaged on an institutional level and all that. but in my personal life i just want to have a lot of fun, fuck some beautiful ladies, eat some awesome food, maybe hike a few cool mountains, jump off a diving board or two, get a badass dog, etc.

i dunno. i have grown more self-absorbed as i've aged.

maybe some of this is a consequence of how focused you are on self-improvement right now.

Organichu I should emphasize that I mean this in a matter-of-fact way, not like, mad or anything. You're busy turning from a tiny pupa into a full moth with giant terrifying wings and a killer poison sting, so naturally personal development and questions of where you want to be are first and foremost in your mind.

But I posit that when you have started to feel more comfortable with where you are, you will begin to find time to think about the world around you again. It might not even be in the way you're thinking, about, like volunteerism or that. Maybe you'll phone bank for a presidential candidate, or maybe you'll just attend PTA meetings all the time or something.

*nod*

yeah

i imagine i'll move out and i'll be all settled somewhere and i'll have a 401k going and i'll have been on the 'track' i wanted and then i'll be like

hmm

dis big wide world

i'mma fix some shit etc

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    @ronya

They changed the law on my mortgage credit for this year! Now it's capped at $2000 and is deducted from the mortgage interest deduction. Dropped my credit amount from over $7K to just $2000. That change basically cut my return amount in half. It cost me a couple thousand bucks!

Man, fuck. That is really disappointing. I was gonna rebuild my back fence with that money.

Good riddance to tax code carve-outs for special interests!

Just a reminder that a promise isn't a promise when it's made by the government.

I'm only 50% joking here. This one stings like whoa.

I'm not gonna lie, I am (was? will regret the potential loss of?) looking forward to that deduction once I become a Responsible Adult With Two-Point-Five Kids and a Mortgage, even if it means extra headaches with itemized deductions instead of my lovely 1040EZ's. Paying twice the sticker price on a house in the course of a mortgage is not extremely appealing.

Worth noting houses would be less expensive if we didn't have all these tax breaks for buying them.

At least, if one wants to make that argument about Pell Grants, one would have to apply the same logic to houses.

Hey now.

All this fiscal responsibility mumbo-jumbo is cool, but when I have to make tangible personal sacrifices instead of some kind of abstract pie-in-the-sky compromise on bullshit social issues? Well that's where I draw the line, sir.

I haven't heard many people make the Pell Grants argument. I mean, I'm sure you're right and it's a thing that is done, but I've heard much more bitching about subsidized student loans than Pell Grants per se.

It's also bullshit that I got gypped out of a substantial portion of my Pell Grant money for daring to turn 24, which is the age where for FAFSA purposes you're classified as an independent -- even though literally nothing else about your SES situation has changed.

Weird, I got a massive raise in my pell grant when I got over 24 since my EFC dropped to 0.

My EFC was already zero, and went up to like 1300 -- though apparently EFC != $$$. I made a whopping $6,000 last year from working part-time at a Walgreens (because my workload at school didn't allow me to do anything but work weekends), which apparently placed me in the Super Rich category of Pell Grant recipients; my Pell went from the $5500 max per academic year to $4200. I straight lost $1300 because I turned 24.

:\

Sounds like someone made a mistake somewhere. You shouldn't have an EFC after you turn 24 since they solely base financial aid off your income.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sparkle Squeak?

ADORABLE.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    So here's a fun little link: a collection of Burn Notice voice-overs.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Japan sure loves its onomatopeias

C8Ft8GE.jpg

The thing that sucks about that is, a lot of people's parents do help them pay for school. Some don't, many can't, many could if they had been frugal or wiser but were idiots and so can't.

But if they didn't take parental income into account, every single student would claim no parental support.
    Yeah. I had a non-biological caregiver at one point. They had no form to give me. Made me use the parent who was not supporting me at all at the time. Needs work, me thinks.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor

Kukaku, the guy who does physics shows. Had a few win Nobels recently. Kristen Yamaguchi and other ice skaters would be good. Koizumi is very famous. Mishima is a famous writer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Fuck student loans, get scholarships.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

that chick who chopped the dude's dick off

This is not a thing I am familiar with so...

Waaaaaait whaaaaaaaat?!

they made a movie about it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sada_Abe

rRwz9.gif
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vZS5alzmwzE

this girl won the 'save the pell grant' contest at my school

it's a p big topic of discussion at my community college, mostly because the max pell grant ($5,500) is almost exactly the cost of a full time load at my school

Excuse me how much did those tattoos cost the chick singing about how tasty her government cheese was?

I am feeling embittered today thanks to the tax increase I got from Obama!

y2jake215 wrote: »

bzzzz

tsk tsk

I haven't written a poem in almost two months :c

I haven't written fiction in 6 years

O RLY
    I am a cool dude and the life of the party

is this a joke wherein you accuse me of making a positive claim about myself and suggest it is false, meaning that I have in fact written fiction

is this what you're doing here jacob

well it feels less clever when you put it like that!

see for a second i thought that you were suggesting i was in fact cool and the life of the party, to make me feel better about the emptiness of my dreams and the waste of my talent in a sinking, sucking void of despair and unmotivation, accompanied by heavy drinking and overconsumption of television

and that everyone awesomed the post because they think i'm great

but it turns out that wasn't the case

so because i'm also single and living alone my last sex act will be to fellate a gunbarrel

thanks jacob

thank you

well jeez now I feel bad for making fun of you!

this is total bullshit!

rRwz9.gif
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hm, I am trying to make a list of Japanese people that are famous around the world. I know some obvious ones. You know, Miyazaki for animation, Kurosawa for film, Shigeru Miyamoto for videogames, Ichiro for baseball, Ken Watanabe for acting, etc.

Notice something with this list? Yeah, it's all dudes. When it comes to famous female Japanese people around the world I am drawing total blanks. You guys know anyone?

@Inquisitor

Yoko Ono.
    Ai Fukuhara is famous all across Asia for table-tennis, but not in the West.
    Mao Asada or Miki Ando are famous figure-skaters. Big deal for fans of it.
    Shikibu Murasaki - classical novelist.
    Banana Yoshimoto - probably the second-most famous modern Japanese novelist after Haruki Murakami
    Ayumi Hamasaki and Namie Amuro are huge in Asia.
    Edit: Oh yeah, Chiaki Kuriyama - the one out of Kill Bill.

Those are all the ones I can think of who are famous elsewhere, though there are many more who should be famous.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I finally got this VPN working for this business and I even installed a batch file to disconnect/rearrange their network drive to the software VPN tunnel backup in case something goes wrong (so their software doesn't need to be reconfigured)

I am done with this job

I can bill him and block his phone number on my cell phone

Jesus+Camp.jpg

override367 on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fuck student loans, get scholarships.

I got all the scholarships! Still needed hella loans. School is expensive.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

I think just describes why the way we pay for education is fucking dumb more than anything

Don't fellate it. Put it up your butt.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Yeah they have a toooon more than English does. It is actually really interesting:

"Japanese has a large inventory of sound symbolic or mimetic words, known in linguistics as ideophones (Hamano 1998; Voeltz & Kilian-Hatz 2001). Sound symbolic words are found in written as well as spoken Japanese (Nuckolls 2004). Known popularly as onomatopoeia, these words are not just imitative of sounds but cover a much wider range of meanings (Hamano 1998); indeed, many sound-symbolic words in Japanese are for things that don't make any noise originally, most clearly demonstrated by しいんと shiinto, meaning "silently"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sound_symbolism

bzzzz

tsk tsk

don't they have one for the sound of breasts bouncing

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @podly

"Ardcore abolishes narrative: instead of tension/climax/release, it offers a thousand plateaux of crescendo, an endless successions of NOWs."

yeeeeeessss the 90s

at the exact same time he was writing this, someone in america was writing an essay explaining how a rave crowd "functions like a fractal"

you know it

also real talk simon reynolds' assorted essays on two step/garage are probably the thing that made me come back and reassess it because I really disliked all the garridge music stuff back when

This discussion has been closed.