As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hedwig and the Angry [chat]

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I like that Pikachu means electric mouse or some shit

Why is that a word that exists

I don't think it existed before Pokemon. At least, I would be somewhat surprised if it did.

When you have a syllabary, it's a bit easier to create new words out of existing terms. Far easier than putting a string of letters together and saying "this is a new word and it means this and is pronounced this way". If there isn't already a sequence for "moon people", you could do something like 月人 and come up with "gatsu-jin"

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons why that example is bad, but ...

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    they just have some peculiarly specific ones

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the worst is not having available credit or a cosigner. like, whether or not you're given grants, sometimes just the government stafford/direct/whateverthey'recallednow loans don't cover the bill. with my pell grant and even taking absolutely as large a loan as i'm permitted, i cannot my state university. it's just not enough money, and it's not that i 'can't afford' to borrow more because the payments would be irresponsible. i literally don't hav ethe choice.

thankfully i live where temple u is nearby and i can afford them without a private loan. so that's a nice fallback.

but if i didn't live within transit-commute of one of those quirkily cheap schools there's a chance i would simply be unable to attain a 4 year degree, period.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I am scared of when I have to go for my masters. I'm going to need so many loans.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vZS5alzmwzE

this girl won the 'save the pell grant' contest at my school

it's a p big topic of discussion at my community college, mostly because the max pell grant ($5,500) is almost exactly the cost of a full time load at my school

Excuse me how much did those tattoos cost the chick singing about how tasty her government cheese was?

I am feeling embittered today thanks to the tax increase I got from Obama!

Worth noting if your side wasn't so incorrectly obsessed with the deficit, we wouldn't be worrying about cutting tax incentives to the middle class right now.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I just found the weirdest NCBI entry ever (this is like our government's database for all research ever done ever).

NSFW
    Arch Kriminol. 2008 Jan-Feb;221(1-2):28-35.
    [Death after anal "fisting"].
    [Article in German]
    Preuss J, Strehler M, Dettmeyer R, Madea B.
    Source
    Institut für Rechtsmedizin der Universität Bonn.
    Abstract
    A 45-year-old homeless woman was found dead at her usual sleeping place. Apart from traces of blood on the lower abdomen of the body, the police investigations did not produce any clues pointing to an unnatural death. At autopsy, it was found, however, that death had been caused by extensive disruptions of the intestine. After being confronted with the results, the sexual partner of the victim admitted manual anal penetration, but claimed that this had been done by mutual agreement. The court did not accept that statement and sentenced him to life imprisonment for murder. The frequency of such fatal outcomes of anal penetration, the relationship between the perpetrator and the victim and the special features at the scene are discussed.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    literal death by snu-snu

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Inquisitor

Kukaku, the guy who does physics shows. Had a few win Nobels recently. Kristen Yamaguchi and other ice skaters would be good. Koizumi is very famous. Mishima is a famous writer.

I can't believe I forgot about Michio Kaku (kukaku is a large breasted anime character, apparently).

Thanks!

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    You know, that's probably the first time I've ever seen the concept "You owe the world something" spelled out that explicitly.

I don't care for it.

I think we all owe the world a bit, actually. Nothing we do is without consequence and a life spent not trying to at least improve the little patch of earth around us or the lot of the people we care for is a wasted experience. But that blithering fuckwit of a judge should just as well be telling people his own age that. Teens are a bit solipsistic but a) that is normal, b) many still want to pitch in as much as anyone else, and c) wanting to have fun is normal and doesn't mean someone isn't "mowing the lawn" or not looking for a job or any of that nonsense.

See funnily enough I actually agree to a certain degree with what the judge said but it's just said in such a manner that I can't help but bristle at it and find it really distasteful.

On a note that doesn't really regard myself personally and is more a general idea, I feel like telling kids who are doing potentially destructive things to make themselves more productive to society is folly, because they probably haven't discovered a proper outlet for whatever lack of purpose they might feel in life. Giving them something fun and productive to do to spend their time with like public recreation just feels like the correct thing to do.

It's hard to really articulate what bugs me about it personally, though. I aspire to do good things in my life, but I don't have some major goal in terms of what I want to do or feel like I want to leave anything significant behind. It really just boils down to helping people close to me, basically mostly my friends and family, except it feels like it's all a bit muddied by the fact that I only really have the means to look out for myself at the moment. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough yet that I have a clear picture of what I could do. I guess in the end I don't want to feel like my choice in how I spend my time is invalidated because I'm not actively striving to make the world better.

Without trying to sound like an ass, this sentence feels to me almost like "I don't want to be judged for choosing selfishness, it ought to be equally valid."

I don't think that's what you were driving at, but it kinda comes off that way to me.

Yeah I can see that

I just don't know exactly what I can offer, and I think a lot of this is probably just a personal issue in not having a lot of certainty about where I'm going

You seem like good people and I'm sure you'll find a spot in your life where you feel like you've got a comfortable stability, and you can turn your focus a little more toward other things you'd like to get involved in.

My thing -- working for the gubmint on Middle East/general Brown People policy -- has obviously humanitarian consequences, but I think for everybody else it's mostly a matter of figuring out how the shit you're into can benefit other people. Med school? Maybe consider doing public health or like fighting whatever disease the entire Third World is afflicted by. Law school? Maybe become a public defender (don't laugh) or international law or something. The point is not to become Mr. Philanthropist-Professional-Soup-Kitchen-Chef, but to take whatever you're already into and turn that into more than just a living for yourself.

But then, if you do choose to just Do You, that's okay too. No judgement, bro.

the worst is not having available credit or a cosigner. like, whether or not you're given grants, sometimes just the government stafford/direct/whateverthey'recallednow loans don't cover the bill. with my pell grant and even taking absolutely as large a loan as i'm permitted, i cannot my state university. it's just not enough money, and it's not that i 'can't afford' to borrow more because the payments would be irresponsible. i literally don't hav ethe choice.

thankfully i live where temple u is nearby and i can afford them without a private loan. so that's a nice fallback.

but if i didn't live within transit-commute of one of those quirkily cheap schools there's a chance i would simply be unable to attain a 4 year degree, period.
    Temple is a good school!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I just found the weirdest NCBI entry ever (this is like our government's database for all research ever done ever).

NSFW
    [Article in German]
    Source
    Abstract
    A 45-year-old homeless woman was found dead at her usual sleeping place. Apart from traces of blood on the lower abdomen of the body, the police investigations did not produce any clues pointing to an unnatural death. At autopsy, it was found, however, that death had been caused by extensive disruptions of the intestine. After being confronted with the results, the sexual partner of the victim admitted manual anal penetration, but claimed that this had been done by mutual agreement. The court did not accept that statement and sentenced him to life imprisonment for murder. The frequency of such fatal outcomes of anal penetration, the relationship between the perpetrator and the victim and the special features at the scene are discussed.

"Article in German"

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I finally got this VPN working for this business and I even installed a batch file to disconnect/rearrange their network drive to the software VPN tunnel backup in case something goes wrong (so their software doesn't need to be reconfigured)

I am done with this job

I can bill him and block his phone number on my cell phone

TSfaO0Nb
    I just want you to know that that is a shock image for me and the first time I have legitimately wanted to ask for a trigger warning.

Ludious on

NSFW
    [Article in German]
    Source
    Abstract

"Article in German"
    Where else?!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Temple is a good school!

it's pretty shitty for my major but that's fine. i'm just glad to have the opportunity to get my degree, honestly. i plan on making the best of it.

edited January 2013
    I deliberately mis-/off-rhymed once because I really dislike the sound of the french suffix -ouille

I keep coming back to it, trying to figure out if I sold my soul for a better line

Eddy on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Looks like a master of accountancy at U of I costs 40k. That will be fun.

OH CMON. ITS FUCKING MONDAY. STOP PLAYING FUCKING SPICE GIRLS AT MAX VOLUME

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kristi Yamaguchi is an American!

Doesn't stop Japan from claiming her.

Also back to work.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hm, I am trying to make a list of Japanese people that are famous around the world. I know some obvious ones. You know, Miyazaki for animation, Kurosawa for film, Shigeru Miyamoto for videogames, Ichiro for baseball, Ken Watanabe for acting, etc.

Notice something with this list? Yeah, it's all dudes. When it comes to famous female Japanese people around the world I am drawing total blanks. You guys know anyone?

@Mazzyx @Elldren @Poshniallo @cokebottle

that chick who chopped the dude's dick off

She was American-Ecuadorian

fuck gendered marketing
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I finally got this VPN working for this business and I even installed a batch file to disconnect/rearrange their network drive to the software VPN tunnel backup in case something goes wrong (so their software doesn't need to be reconfigured)

I am done with this job

TSfaO0Nb
    I just want you to know that that is a shock image for me and the first time I have legitimately wanted to ask for a trigger warning.

Hahahaha, oh my god jesus camp must have been terrifying for you. Did you make it all the way through.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I recently discovered that my dad is a huge fan of Key & Peele

rRwz9.gif

I am done with this job

TSfaO0Nb
    Is that from jesus camp or something?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Chanus wrote: »

it's a p big topic of discussion at my community college, mostly because the max pell grant ($5,500) is almost exactly the cost of a full time load at my school

Excuse me how much did those tattoos cost the chick singing about how tasty her government cheese was?

Worth noting if your side wasn't so incorrectly obsessed with the deficit, we wouldn't be worrying about cutting tax incentives to the middle class right now.

For that matter, who cares what her tattoo cost. You have no idea who bought that for her, or if she used Christmas money, or maybe got it free. Looking at people and going "BUT YOU HAVE THIS THING THAT IS EXPENSIVE, YOU MUST NOT BE POOR" is probably one of the dumbest, most presumptuous things of all time.

I'll admit the gubment cheese video is ill advised, but if the only response is "BUT HER TATTOOS", that's weak.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hm, I am trying to make a list of Japanese people that are famous around the world. I know some obvious ones. You know, Miyazaki for animation, Kurosawa for film, Shigeru Miyamoto for videogames, Ichiro for baseball, Ken Watanabe for acting, etc.

Notice something with this list? Yeah, it's all dudes. When it comes to famous female Japanese people around the world I am drawing total blanks. You guys know anyone?

Inquisitor

Yoko Ono.
    Ai Fukuhara is famous all across Asia for table-tennis, but not in the West.
    Mao Asada or Miki Ando are famous figure-skaters. Big deal for fans of it.
    Shikibu Murasaki - classical novelist.
    Banana Yoshimoto - probably the second-most famous modern Japanese novelist after Haruki Murakami
    Ayumi Hamasaki and Namie Amuro are huge in Asia.
    Edit: Oh yeah, Chiaki Kuriyama - the one out of Kill Bill.

Those are all the ones I can think of who are famous elsewhere, though there are many more who should be famous.

Awesome thanks! This will help a ton in getting closer to a 50/50 male/female split that I am hoping for. People that are famous just within their sport or field is fine, I have a good number of kids that are a part of the table tennis club so they would probably be pumped to see her mentioned.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

NSFW
    [Article in German]
    Source
    Abstract

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CDNLYZ0zA

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I haven't written a poem in almost two months :c

I haven't written fiction in 6 years

O RLY
    I am a cool dude and the life of the party

is this a joke wherein you accuse me of making a positive claim about myself and suggest it is false, meaning that I have in fact written fiction

is this what you're doing here jacob

well it feels less clever when you put it like that!

see for a second i thought that you were suggesting i was in fact cool and the life of the party, to make me feel better about the emptiness of my dreams and the waste of my talent in a sinking, sucking void of despair and unmotivation, accompanied by heavy drinking and overconsumption of television

and that everyone awesomed the post because they think i'm great

but it turns out that wasn't the case

so because i'm also single and living alone my last sex act will be to fellate a gunbarrel

thanks jacob

thank you

well jeez now I feel bad for making fun of you!

this is total bullshit!

Mess with a heel, you get the feels.

NSFW
    [Article in German]
    Source
    Abstract

"Article in German"
    Where else?!

Florida.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I am done with this job

TSfaO0Nb

Hahahaha, oh my god jesus camp must have been terrifying for you. Did you make it all the way through.

yes it was no i did not

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fuck student loans, get scholarships.

I got all the scholarships! Still needed hella loans. School is expensive.

This has nothing to do with any of what you guys just said -- well no, it has to do with a single line.

In Dubai, where they have a really strict dress code (for women) and value moderation (for women) and don't let you wear clothes with "offensive slogans"...

This one Nigerian kid walked around campus with a shirt that read, "FUCK BITCHES GET MONEY."

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jesus Camp is fucking horrific

I am glad that in addition to shedding light on crazy fundamentalist religious camps, it got that be shut down

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

For that matter, who cares what her tattoo cost. You have no idea who bought that for her, or if she used Christmas money, or maybe got it free. Looking at people and going "BUT YOU HAVE THIS THING THAT IS EXPENSIVE, YOU MUST NOT BE POOR" is probably one of the dumbest, most presumptuous things of all time.

I'll admit the gubment cheese video is ill advised, but if the only response is "BUT HER TATTOOS", that's weak.

Could not agree more, want to take these words and beat people over the head with them.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    [chat], I have never donated blood. I have decided this makes me a terrible person, particularly when I'm unaware of any reason why I cannot (unless meds are a problem, but the Canadian Blood Service doesn't mention them).

I know the basic deal in terms of how it goes down, so now I only have two questions:

1) How long will it adversely effect me (light-headedness, etc)?

2) Am I presented with a token of some kind so that I can let people know that I'm a better person than they are? This one is important.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    viDz41R.gif

919UOwT.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @podly

"Ardcore abolishes narrative: instead of tension/climax/release, it offers a thousand plateaux of crescendo, an endless successions of NOWs."

yeeeeeessss the 90s

at the exact same time he was writing this, someone in america was writing an essay explaining how a rave crowd "functions like a fractal"

you know it

also real talk simon reynolds' assorted essays on two step/garage are probably the thing that made me come back and reassess it because I really disliked all the garridge music stuff back when

yusssssssssss

did you ever get around to watching this? I think i tagged you to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3Oj-Dq-MM

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1

It's conservative derp 101 dude. Best not to bite. It's a classic diversion target and built on the false premise that aid means the giver gets to dictate how the recipient lives.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    23 years in, I finally give up on trying to stay in shape. It is obviously not meant to be

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    [chat], I have never donated blood. I have decided this makes me a terrible person, particularly when I'm unaware of any reason why I cannot (unless meds are a problem, but the Canadian Blood Service doesn't mention them).

I know the basic deal in terms of how it goes down, so now I only have two questions:

1) How long will it adversely effect me (light-headedness, etc)?

2) Am I presented with a token of some kind so that I can let people know that I'm a better person than they are? This one is important.

1) Everyone is different. Eat stuff beforehand to minimize the the dizziness.

2) They usually give out t-shirts.

Some people will feel light-headed for a couple hours afterward. If you have a stalwart horse heart with rippling striations that would definitely taste very good if offered as a black-market dish, it's really not noticeable

The token is the gauze patch and medical tape they plop on you

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Could not agree more, want to take these words and beat people over the head with them.

I'm hopped up on painkillers right now, so I am feeling brutally honest in a hyperbolic way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.