As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Big Le[chat]ski

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    All money goes to science. This is my solid economic plan for myself.

I am fully behind this plan for totally unselfish reasons.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    obama's not going after guns... obama's not gonna fiscally fuck with the middle class...

I WAS DUPED

I'M GOING BACK TO LIBERTARIANISM

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've never seen The Big Lebowski.

Should I remedy this?

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Ah, Facebook.

Guy from high school who I don't really talk to posts this image...

537219_10151663918349966_1783783069_n.jpg

...And some girl he knows posts this in response:
    <Blank> wrote: "I'm going to remove you from my friend's list and I want you to know why. You are an offensive piece of shit and not even in the "I think myself an intellectual and I'm going to be a dick because of it." or "I think offensive things are funny because I don't know any better." You are just a pure piece of shit that has repeatedly posted things that point you out as someone who might not only CONDONE RAPE but might actually think that a woman deserves it. Yes, I think you are RAPIST MATERIAL. I will certainly speak of you this way to every single person I know that knows you or whoever has the misfortune of mentioning you to me. I have tried a few times to reason with your neanderthal brain and tried to elicit some sympathy from you in regards to why your violent and repugnant thoughts are the reason that humanity is the way it is. And for the most part I tried to put with it and be willfully indifferent towards your DISGUSTING posts but in light of recent events in our country and others of violence against women I really cannot stand it anymore. I hope you don't end up beating up a poor woman or raping one and then blaming it on her one day. Good bye."

That seems partially like an overreaction, but then, we don't know his normal antics.

I mean, to me, that is a relatively innocuous hypocritical image. I mean, the whole "Don't hit me, I'm a girl" part. I get that she thinks he's saying he should be able to hit women, but then, at first I read it as "We're equal, you have to give me what you have. But you don't get this 'Not allowed to be hit' card, that's mine."

I don't actually know the girl in question at all. Certainly implying the dude is "rapist material" is way over the line; he posts dumb stuff like this pretty much on the regular, but it's never struck me as really beyond the pale -- but then, I'm also not a girl.

I just find it hilarious that she totally blew up on him like she did. Not in an 'lol feminazi's, m i rite' kinda way, but just in an 'lol Internet' way.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Ah, Facebook.

<Blank> wrote: "I'm going to remove you from my friend's list and I want you to know why. You are an offensive piece of shit and not even in the "I think myself an intellectual and I'm going to be a dick because of it." or "I think offensive things are funny because I don't know any better." You are just a pure piece of shit that has repeatedly posted things that point you out as someone who might not only CONDONE RAPE but might actually think that a woman deserves it. Yes, I think you are RAPIST MATERIAL. I will certainly speak of you this way to every single person I know that knows you or whoever has the misfortune of mentioning you to me. I have tried a few times to reason with your neanderthal brain and tried to elicit some sympathy from you in regards to why your violent and repugnant thoughts are the reason that humanity is the way it is. And for the most part I tried to put with it and be willfully indifferent towards your DISGUSTING posts but in light of recent events in our country and others of violence against women I really cannot stand it anymore. I hope you don't end up beating up a poor woman or raping one and then blaming it on her one day. Good bye."

That seems partially like an overreaction, but then, we don't know his normal antics.

I mean, to me, that is a relatively innocuous hypocritical image. I mean, the whole "Don't hit me, I'm a girl" part. I get that she thinks he's saying he should be able to hit women, but then, at first I read it as "We're equal, you have to give me what you have. But you don't get this 'Not allowed to be hit' card, that's mine."

i mean

i don't know this guy's regular antics and the reaction post implies he posts this kind of thing a lot but

finding hypocrisy amongst zealous proponents of anything is not an especially difficult thing to do

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Payroll tax holidaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Wouldn't have happened without Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Under President McCain your rates would've been this for the last two yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

Get angry, sure, but do it at the right people, Spool.

wait, I thought he was complaining about the end of some obscure loophole that let him get woah money for his mortage not the payroll tax holiday

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Should I remedy this?

[Y] / N

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Me too.

Serious Note: OUR FUNDS MAN THEY ARE GOING SO FAST WILL THE NIH EVEN EXIST IN TEN YEARS IF WE DONT RESTRUCTURE?!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that folks around here who supported a guy that claimed over and over that he wouldn't raise taxes on the middle class are very casual about telling me to suck it up when they hear that my taxes went up significantly in 2012.

I mean, yes. We need to close these loopholes. But, folks, your true attitude is showing a bit here. You guys really do want to raise taxes on far more people than just those in the top 2%.

no, Spool. You're mad and it's making you a dick right now. Nobody secretly wishes you were getting the shaft.

well, I am getting it. But I guess I'm also p mad. It's an expensive increase, and we weren't supposed to be doing that to people in my tax bracket.

:( I should just move on.

fuck, though. I really wanted to repair some shit around here.

Maybe I'm belaboring the point, and I'll stop after this, but...

It's your side that supports cutting incentives for people who actually need them.

It's your side that thinks it's "fiscally responsible" to continually cut revenues while increasing spending.

It's your side that thinks the answer to the problem they caused is to burden the middle class in order to protect those at the top.

So this is what you get when you support that, and you don't listen to reason, and you force the conversation to be about how much we can cut instead of how we invest in our future.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

You'd have to be blind to be able to do that, I can only assume.

I can't even consistently ascertain where someone is if they start speaking to me and I can't immediately see them. :P

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Should I remedy this?

I am probably in the minority here but I don't think it's that great. It's good, but it's not this mindblowing, absolute must-see experience

and I really like the Coens!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I would be disturbed if one of my friends starting posting things that normalize violence against women because of their desire for equality.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Should I remedy this?

Y / N

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I need to come up with a short little "Farewell" type of thing to put in the yearbook for my graduating third year students.

All I can think of is "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Stupid brain.

you just didn't take it far enough. Go for the full musical number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6b3V2MNxQ

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    To birds with one stone:

Taxes so high, people can't afford guns.

You're welcome, America.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I will have to watch it sometime then.

• Options

You'd have to be blind to be able to do that, I can only assume.

I can't even consistently ascertain where someone is if they start speaking to me and I can't immediately see them. :P
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/01/28/170355712/be-like-a-bat-sound-can-show-you-the-way?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130128

The researcher can do it to some degree and is also studying people that do it but are not congenitally blind. It is really neat and speaks to the plasticity of our brains like woah.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Ah, Facebook.

I don't actually know the girl in question at all. Certainly implying the dude is "rapist material" is way over the line; he posts dumb stuff like this pretty much on the regular, but it's never struck me as really beyond the pale -- but then, I'm also not a girl.

I just find it hilarious that she totally blew up on him like she did. Not in an 'lol feminazi's, m i rite' kinda way, but just in an 'lol Internet' way.

also

i have personally been the target of a self-identified feminist amongst my friends at time totally going nuclear and talking about me like a rapist because

well because i'm rude and caustic, essentially

in a way that anyone who reads [chat] regularly is fairly familiar with

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

Me too.

Serious Note: OUR FUNDS MAN THEY ARE GOING SO FAST WILL THE NIH EVEN EXIST IN TEN YEARS IF WE DONT RESTRUCTURE?!

Whether I end up in academia or researching better ways to mind control people for a shady corporation basically depends on this.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I need to come up with a short little "Farewell" type of thing to put in the yearbook for my graduating third year students.

All I can think of is "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Stupid brain.

"He can't save you."
    -Lil Wayne

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    [FLAMMABLE]: RAPIST MATERIAL

DISPOSE OF PROPERLY

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Should I remedy this?

hells yes

unlike a lot of stuff it actually holds up to the absurd level of praise it receives

though I think I like O Brother Where Art Thou better.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Should I remedy this?

Yes.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Under President McCain your rates would've been this for the last two yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

wait, I thought he was complaining about the end of some obscure loophole that let him get woah money for his mortage not the payroll tax holiday

Are you, @Spool32?

Everytime I've heard some Republican warglebargle about middle class taxes it's been the payroll tax holiday. Admittedly I missed the last couple pages of old chat so if that's not what we're talking about never miiiiiiiiiind.

Sort of.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that folks around here who supported a guy that claimed over and over that he wouldn't raise taxes on the middle class are very casual about telling me to suck it up when they hear that my taxes went up significantly in 2012.

I mean, yes. We need to close these loopholes. But, folks, your true attitude is showing a bit here. You guys really do want to raise taxes on far more people than just those in the top 2%.

I never claimed I favored the tax credit going away for the middle class.

I blamed it on the people who have been shouting that closing the deficit during a recovery is our most pressing economic issue.

But we were supposed to close the deficit by making things harder on people who aren't me!!!

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Ah, Facebook.

also

i have personally been the target of a self-identified feminist amongst my friends at time totally going nuclear and talking about me like a rapist because

Maybe being rude and caustic aren't virtues? :)

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I have seen the Bug Lebooski twice

Neither time left me going "this is one of the greatest movies" ever, but I would recommend it to other people because I don't believe the fandom it has is entirely valueless

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You should watch it twice

The first time is really disorienting

And the second time it all makes sense

Man

• Options
    edited January 2013
    lol

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    How high is american income tax these days? I thought it was really low.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

It is still very low and Americans are still babbies.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Ah, Facebook.

also

Maybe being rude and caustic aren't virtues? :)

Perhaps, but they don't make you a rapist, and surely don't make you deserve to be compared to one. Provided you're an equal opportunity asshole, I'm fine with it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Not to be an arse but yeah thats what happens when you are rude and caustic pony :p

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I dislike that my school is making me do graphic design for marketing purposes. It doesn't feel useful for accounting.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

the very highest right now i think is ~40%

it varied based on filing status but it's roughly that for income over 400k

• Options

It's very low on a global scale, iirc.

Plus literally no one pays the marginal rate because of how the brackets are structured.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

You are confused. I'm not talking about the payroll tax.

I'm talking about an obscure mortgage credit that I qualified for. It got rewritten and the change carved a couple thousand bucks directly out of my actual return. Not an increase in my taxable income.

spool32 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

It's stupidly low for a first world developed country. It's also historically low when relative to actual American tax rates. They've gone down, down, down for 50 years.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Sorry spool, but FSAs are dumb. Get rid of them.
    But HSAs without HDHP plans for everyone? Sign me the fuck up.

It'll never happen though, because the chucklefucks in the house will scream OMG DEFICITS!!!!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Guys

I played modern warfare 3 today for the first time

I scored the most "hipshots"

This discussion has been closed.