As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dusting off the pencil and ink (now with NSFW)

SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Artist's Corner
First time posting art here so be gentle. ;)

Always was drawing throughout my childhood and for some reason or another stopped sometime in highschool. Over the years I've gotten the itch and have picked up pencil and pad for a couple months but it's never stuck. This time rather than lurk on boards like this I'm going to try to post regular updates to keep me honest and pressure me to keep going. I have no illusions of making it as an artist professionally (though it would be nice to help somewhat in my work as a web developer), and simply want to have fun with it. Eventually I'd like to fill up the couple of cheap canvases I've picked up over the years with something I wouldn't be afraid of putting on my wall.

TLDR: trying to get back into it and posting to keep me honest.

First couple drawings are all from the same ref image found on google. First was done with a brush pen, second with pencil, and third with a couple micron. Decided to have a little fun with the third since I was getting tired of the same image. I'm pretty happy with the pencil and micron ones but there are serious anatomy issues in all three.

girlbrush.jpg

girlpencil.jpg

girlmicron.jpg

Here's the first of a couple pages I'm working on of hands

hands1.jpg

SpaceMoose on

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    i agree with your self crit. im really pleased with the micron drawing. the liberty you took with its stylization is awesome.

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    You have some odd size distortions going on. I don't know if this is a 'seeing' problem, or a pencil control problem, but either way I think some basic geometric practice might be helpful. Some basic shapes that are easy to quantify might help with either issue.
    EDIT: realized this might have been vague. Find some objects with real simple shapes, like a box or a cup, something with definite straight lines and edges, that you can draw from life.
    Double EDIT: I also liked the micron one!

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    Thanks for the crits and comments. I think I like the micron one the best too.

From the sounds of it, it looks like I would benefit from taking part in this months enrichment challenge. I'll have to borrow a few of my son's blocks and set up some still lifes.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Oh building blocks would be perfect. Make sure to set up a strong light source.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    Couple more days of drawing.

First a couple pages of hands:

hands2.jpg

switched back to pencil so I can get some real shading practice. These are all ASL letters at various angles.
    hands3.jpg

And something for the enrichment challenge (cross posting).

SimpleStill1.jpg

There's definitely some pencil control issues and some seeing issues that I'm having but on the whole I'm pleased with how they ended up.

• Options
    TheJoeTheJoe Registered User regular
    Love the brush pen work.

• Options
    Thanks @TheJoe. I love working with the brush pens but I just don't have the control over them that I need to put out a really good drawing. Still fun as heck though.

• Options
    Weekly update

First my second and third attempt at the enrichment thread (cross posting):
    sphere1.jpg
    shapes1.jpg

Working through some loomis bodies (third and fourth attempt below):
    loomisman3%20.jpg
    loomisman4.jpg

Getting better but proportions are still off. I think the head is too wide. I need to be more careful about my initial measurements.

Also working through some loomis heads after watching the proko videos:
    loomisheads1.jpg
    loomisheads2.jpg
    loomisheads3.jpg
    loomisheads4.jpg]

Really happy with where these are going. I'm wanting to start another pencil portrait so doing these should really help me solidify the forms. I feel like the ones looking up and straight are on the right track but the ones looking down are slightly off somehow. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Decided I wanted to draw a plane so I looked up some ref on google and went at it. Again proportions are off, the wings don't seem to match perspective with each other or the plane body, but at least it looks like a plane.

jumbojet1.jpg

Lastly breaking in the new sketchbook with a little caffeine inspired drawing. Perspective is way off here but it was still fun. Trying to work with charcoal pencils now.

coffee1.jpg

• Options
    That second batch of shapes were definitely an impovement over the first, but I am still seeing a large amount of distortion in a lot of your other drawings. While any drawing is good practice, I really think it would help to focus on those basic shape drawings for a while longer. Worry less about the shading and more about getting the right shapes on the paper in the right proportion. Also a pic of your blocks from roughly the same viewing angle you are drawing from would help to pick out any specific issues. Anyway good work so far and keep it up!

• Options
    Thanks for the comments @JohnTWM. The two images posted above are all reffed from the images in the head of the enrichment thread. I agree about the proportion issues. Looking back at all the drawings so far it definitely seems to be a problem. I should see if I can do a ton of these simple shape drawings.

• Options
    Using the ref images is ok, but the general consensus is that drawing from life is always better. If you can set up some thing in your house that you can wirk from, that will probably be the best option. But yes, a ton sounds like about the right number to shoot for ;)

• Options
    Good point. I'll try and get some from life reference. Did a bunch of cubes last night. I'll try some more from life as well as some other shapes. Thankfully I have my kids blocks to rummage through for them :)

• Options
    tried a couple boxes from life last night. These are of little kids blocks. Couldn't help adding some simple shading on top of the linework. It's amazing that I didn't notice a lot of the perspective issues until after I took a picture of it and was looking at it digitally. I think the upper left (my first attempt) and lower right (my last attempt) came out the best. The middle one in the top ... I can't believe how twisted it came out. I'll have to try more and add in some simple shapes.

Also I have an old graphire tablet that might still work with my computer and I already have photoshop from work, I'm wondering if there's such a thing as starting digitally too soon. Definitely wouldn't stop real life drawing though because it's fun, convenient, and ultimately I want to do real paintings (acrylic/watercolor). Thoughts?

blocks1.jpg

• Options
    Well I agree that if I assume the objects that you were drawing were perfect cubes then the first and last are the best, but without seeing it myself it's hard to give any specific guidance where you might have deviated from reality. For example, in the last one, they both appear to be cubes, but one appears taller than the other and I dont know if it actually is or if that was a misinterpritation on your end.

• Options
    Here's a pic I snapped of the bottom right blocks before I drew it. You're right about the heights. The blocks are both the same but I seem to have muffed that up. The one on the right definitely looks taller than it should. I'll clearly have to keep practicing. It's still fun doing this, but admittedly not as fun as just drawing whatever. I guess it's a means to an end, pay my dues and all.

blocks1-ref.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The nice about doing this is (as you noticed) its really easy to start picking out your mistakes all on your own. It starts to help you refine your own perception of if a line is wrong, before you get really deep in the drawing. Maybe the next enrichment will be on perspective.

• Options
    Exactly what iruka said. The next step is doing those kind of checks as you draw it, and that way if you see that you have laid down a wrong line, you can fix ut before you get too far into the drawing. And I know these arent as fun to draw but they are beneficial. That being said, remember, you are doing this for you, you don't owe us anything, so do what makes you happy. We're just here to tell you what we believe will benefit you the most.

• Options
    True enough that I don't owe you anything, but I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't want and value the advice of this community. I lurked for a fair bit now (and even a couple years ago) before I made the plunge. I'm sure not here to showcase my amazing art talent ;).

I like the idea of the enrichment challenges and my own personal of which I have a few going. Making tons of boxes, spheres and tubes is one of them.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the comments from you guys. I'll get back to my practice now.

• Options
    Welp, I've done about 40 boxes at this point give or take. Not sure if I'm getting any better, it's hard to tell. Gonna take a break from it for a bit and hit some of the ctrlpaint assignments and revisit

blocks2.jpg
    blocks3.jpg
    blocks4.jpg
    blocks5.jpg
    blocks6.jpg
    blocks7.jpg

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Great job dude! Since the first group of shapes you uploaded you've made some serious improvements in your perspective. The only one I want to point out is #19. Seems a bit wonky to me. Other than that, keep it up!

• Options
    Been a while since I posted here cause work got insane. Anyways with the time I've had I've been doing some more practice. Here's a couple of contour drawings of some of my coffee gear.

grinder.jpg

frenchpress.jpg

I messed up a bit on the top of the french press but by the time I had notice it was to late. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

• Options
    Been a while since I posted but still drawing and painting when I can.

Lately I've been playing with some watercolor. I was into it for a while in the past but never really did it for long and @ninjai posting about it spurred me on.

Some technique tests from a youtube video
    wctechniquetest.jpg

A tree done only with yellow and blue, relying on blending on the paper to get green.
    wc2colortree.jpg

An abstract with masking for some mindless fun
    wcabstract.jpg

And a simple still life, using the tea,milk,honey technique (or at least trying to) @ninjai linked to in the questions thread.
    wcstill1.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2013
    k idk why youtube wasn't embedding sorry, repost

ninjai on
  • Options
    Well I sure hope it was good advice. I'm still just learning myself

While I'm at it, this was a video that I was recommended about getting color variation in your washes. Was really helpful in understanding how to use color "charging"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGOVVE2JESo

• Options
    That's a really good video, thanks for sharing. Sometimes I dig around youtube looking for stuff like this or just people doing sped up paintings. You find some really cool stuff sometimes:

This guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlvy6wiSFRU
    The tree technique I used above - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7uBDmrpxDw

• Options
    Doing some linear block in work

blockin1.jpg
    blockin2.jpg
    blockin3.jpg
    blockin4.jpg

Also want to try some larger watercolors copying some images from one of my favorite books to read to my son. Trying out a couple small tests in a wc sketchbook before stepping into something bigger. Here's the initial sketch work to go off of on the best of them so far, all free hand but again hand copies of the images, not tracings. Inking and painting to come.

wccopy-kid3.jpg

• Options
    Some work from the weekend and yesterday:

5th linear blockin w/ some crosshatching (noticed afterwards that I shaded it to look like it's wearing a yarmulke :) )
    blockin5.jpg

Also started going through the drawings in Fun With A Pencil

FunWithPencil1.jpg
    FunWithPencil2.jpg
    Grabbed a non photo blue pencil at the local art store to see if I could get my stuff looking less messy. Happy with how it's turning out. Also happy with the progress from the first attempts to this page. Looking forward to more.
    FunWithPencil3.jpg

• Options
    Really having a blast going through this book. I think I'm definitely seeing an improvement with how accurate I'm getting them, or at least how pleasing they are to the eye. I'm also really digging the switch to a non photo blue pencil, things were just too messy with pencil underneath. Hoping this all carries over to better drawings of more realistic people instead of just cartoony stuff.

FunWithPencil4.jpg
    FunWithPencil5.jpg

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    You're clearly improving with practice. I like that last set of cartoon heads best; they're a lot looser than the rest of your work.

• Options
    A few drawings from last week

I worked on a few Negative space drawings. This is the last one I did (and probably the best). Its supposed to be one of my sons toys, one of those things with beads on a set of twisting wires. I see some issues with it but overall I'm pleased. These were tough. Even choosing a subject was hard.

NegativeSpace1.jpg

Two more sets of drawings from Loomis's Fun With a Pencil. I feel like I'm getting better at these, I think these are my best yet.

FunWithPencil6.jpg
    FunWithPencil7.jpg

Continuing on with the Loomis and setting up a few still lifes next. Also picked up a tablet for my birthday a couple weeks ago so mixing in some learning of it as well.

• Options
    Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hey there, you said you wanted some big long winded critique! So here I am! But taking a look at what you've got up so far, its hard for me to think of what I can say.
    But it looks like you're taking the right approach, learning the basics, which is always important.
    I am really liking the Loomis drawings. I like what lines you've picked out from the original blue sketches. Line choice is important! To me its all about the fucking line! If your line is good, you can really fuck off with all the other stuff. but i mean if its REALLLY good.
    In some of them you've gotten some of the shapes wrong, but they have sort of a simplistic look to them that endures me to them. They remind me of pixely animal crossing characters. Or strange eastern european comics. There is a strong line between simply look bad childish and an informed childishness that is playful and fun. I think its the latter in some of these. Tintinesque too, which makes me a little biased because fuck everything but tintin.
    From that deduction, I'm just gonna leave this link here. I posted it over in graphic violence, I dunno how other people feel about it, maybe you'll get something out of it. Roy Crane is an old cartoonist who practically invented the adventure comic strip. A lot of greats have praised him. He is sort of like an American Herge.
    I think whats interesting about him is the way he "cartoonifies" a lot of things. His horses, elephants and other animals are either bug eyed or wall eyed and they usually have their tongues sticking out in a silly way, there proportions aren't exactly correct but they are balanced and as animals they work with his larger than life environments. I thought about your elephant, I don't know if I really like it that much, the hatching is pretty bad, very loose and messy (whether you intend that or not, with time you'll get better control over your hand and with technical study you'll understand shade and shape better.) But the elephant was cartoony and you didn't just copy a photograph. You started some early drawing in blue, creating the form and then you went over it with a finer line. This is a good process. I like to make the comparison to sculpture, in that you are whittling away all the unnecessary bits of stone as you bring out the form from within.

Keep it up.

Lewis Rice on
  • Options
    Wow, be careful what you wish for I guess. :)

You're right about it being hard to judge. I'm only now just taking art seriously and with family and job I'm lucky if I get an hour to draw a night so progress is slow. Thanks to the advice of Iruka I've been focussing on the basics on the hope that it will help me down the line.

I'm enjoying the Loomis studies. He seems to start off real easy and cartoony (though as you say very old school cartoony) and gradually shifts towards more realistic. Ultimately I'd like to be able to pull off realistic portraits like Proko does in his videos. And I'm definitely way better at the duplicating ones in the book vs ones from imagination. I haven't posted any of the imagination ones yet.

The Roy Crane link looks interesting. I don't think it's the style I'm going for eventually but it looks like theres some good stuff in there.

Ya, I agree on the hatching on the elephant. The exercise was a linear block in drawing but I figured what the hell and threw some hatching on it. For some reason when I use it it doesn't seem to look right. I'll have to keep trying it out for practice.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    one thing I can say on the toy silhouette, the shading looks pretty scratchy yeah?

Something I learned doing the bargue drawing I'm in the middle of, to get an even tone use even pressure, do slow hatching in opposite directions making sure to keep the pencil nice and sharp to get the tone, and to really smooth it out you can then take the same pencil (remember, SHARP! :D) and make random (but even) squiggles. You can get a very even tone, but it does take a while to do. The idea is to have constantly varying directions, but multiple directions over the same area on your paper. This makes up for gaps in your hatching, but also accounts for texture of paper (if any)

I agree with Mr Rice on most points. Keep it up man!

ninjai on
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. Been super busy with work and suffering from my typical lack of motivation but I've been trying to doodle when and where I can. Picked up a Copic and Prismacolor black to play with. One of my eventual goals is to be doing marker work in traditional media so thought playing with the pens might help me decide which route to go when I get there.

For funsies doing some studies of Dr. Seuss to maybe make some art for my son's room.

lukesduck-foxnsox.jpg

If I had to do it again I would not do the lettering with the chisel tip and use something more like a micron.

• Options
    Another Dr. Seuss pic and a work in progress with a question.

sue-foxnsox.jpg

WIP
    giguy-blue.jpg

ref link: http://www.oaklandbjj.com/wp-content/uploads/helio_gracie.jpg

I did this last night. Googled up a picture and started to rough it out with a non photo blue pencil. My intent was to go over this with a marker and end up with a black and white picture. I'm really happy with where its going but I see some issues that I'm not sure how to correct. First is the hands, they are the part I'm most unhappy with. I've tried drawing them now a couple times and no luck. I feel like there's something I'm missing here which is why they keep coming out bad. Maybe it's just practice though. Second thing I'm noticing is that the head is too big and maybe the neck is too long. To fix that I'm thinking my best bet is to either redraw it completely :( or scan the image and try to resize it digitally and draw the pic there.

Sorry for the image being hard to see, not really sure how to adjust the levels correctly to make it easier to see what I've done so far.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Re: hands
    the ones you have there are a little on the small side, and they don't really reflect the complex group of shapes that compose a hand. Iruka and the gang put together some really great references for the Hands and Feet thread last month: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178203/may-monthly-enrichment-hands-and-feet#latest

Just as an example, the hands in the photo reference, the fingers are tucked underneath the belt, and you can see the back of the hand is actually quite broad. One of my drawing teachers used to always point out that both hands with the fingers outspread, if pressed over one's face, should roughly cover the surface area of (most of) the face, within say, half inch of the hairline. It's helpful if you break up fingers into series of cylinders as well, rather than just as divisions in a plane, so that the volume of the fingers is more apparent in the design. This can help to prevent some of the apparent flatness.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    Thanks for the link and the thoughts. I'm continuing my work on this one, tried some inking in photoshop last night and might play with some in illustrator just to see which feels better or more natural for my process. The hands are definitely a concern that I'll continue to work on.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Hands are hard, especially when you are still building the skills. You'll get there! Keep it up. :-)

• Options
    Actually got the bug and did a fair bit of drawing this weekend.

First I finally buckled down and did a simple still life (trying to concentrate on linework instead of shadow and volume)

SimpleStill2.jpg

Then inspired by a couple people here who did some silhouette work I did some sci-fi buildings

scifibuildings.jpg

Now some updates on my work from above. I tried inking it in photoshop but wasn't happy with it

giguy-pslines.png

Then went into illustrator and tried it there, I think I'm happier with the result

giguy-ailines.png

Then went on to try to color it in illustrator, though it's difficult so I may take the linework back to ps

giguy-color.png

• Options
    Haven't posted in a long while. Been working on a bunch of study type stuff. Started trying to paint some still shots from movies and could use a little guidance. Any thoughts? Seems recognizable but off in so many ways: perspective, color ... I started off with big brushes but when you get down to the details and have to use smaller ones everything I did looks like chicken scratch. Probably did this in about 45 min, give or take.

hobbiton-study.png