As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

smof's stuff (now NSFW)

Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road]Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi folks. About 5 weeks ago I started on a mission to learn how to art. Here is my thread of crappy stuff that will hopefully get less crappy over time.

Here are some heads. All done from photo reference except the second pic. Who the hell designed these things, they are so hard to draw.

KWeEG.jpg

mlpDx.jpg

9aBiG.jpg

Am4WC.jpg

This is meant to be an apple, it is not a really badly drawn head.

yAwCx.jpg

Will try and update this thing regularly and would appreciate any and all feedback on if I am getting any better!

Brovid Hasselsmof on

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Welcome!

Pretty good start here, dude. Not much to crit on. Some of the features on those faces aren't lining up exactly right, but based on your scribbles, you seem to be aware of that. So just keep up the hard work!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Last ones are Bronn and Arya no? If it is then well done so far. Try to keep away from photos of celebrities, movie stills are alright, but paparazzi photos and stuff like that usually has shitty lighting.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    m3nace you just made me so happy, haha. They both look pretty wonky but it's good to hear they're recognisable.

• Options
    Atomsk42Atomsk42 Registered User regular
    Try to work the whole piece at once. (Gesture > block in value > details > details> details) Never staying in one spot too long, the longer you spend working one specific part of the piece, the likelihood that it will come off looking 'wonky' increases- I have a graph on this if you want to see it. Also try to avoid harsh contours around delicate features (eyes, nose mouth) you want the shadows and values to trick the eye into seeing this form...pretty much exactly what you did with the apple. See that reflection on the bottom where the light hits? There's no contour telling me this is where the apple ends, but my eye is telling me it is exactly where the apple ends. Try to get that delicate and subtle on the facial features.

I've been using this site lately NSFW http://characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets just grab a bunch of trash paper (sketchbook is better) and draw faces as fast as you can without really giving a shit. Always, remember to draw what you see and push the blacks.

The Pirate King
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Very nice stuff dude, people have given great advise so far, but here is my speciality, nitpicking, usually unnecesary too.

I see some of your stuff is leaning to the right, some faces, and most notably the apple, stuff is not rotated, but "skewed" towards the right. This COULD be a problem of posture and how you "align" yourself with the paper.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That wouldn't surprise me, my posture is pretty awful. Thanks for pointing it out though, I will try and keep an eye on that when I'm drawing.

@Atomsk42 thanks for the link. I've been using a different site of photos for gesture and figure drawings but it has a pretty limited selection. Also I would be interested in that graph, curious to see what it shows.

I know the best way to draw something is start with the broad shape and gradually focus down on the details, but I find that really hard with heads as I still haven't figured out what shape a head is. Every guide I've seen seems to suggest starting with a circle/sphere. But no part of the human head is circular or spherical! So I kind of still haven't worked out a good way to do the first step. I'm sure if I can get that down, it'll be easier to work on placing the features right.

• Options
    So, surprising nobody, I have been pretty awful with drawing every day or being very studious about it. But I did attend some life drawing sessions, so thought I would update with some of the things I got out of that.

Things I have learned: I don't know how to do shading, I am rubbish at fitting things onto a page, and I am slow as hell at drawing - each of these took me 45 mins to an hour.

HZ0xR.jpg

fO8Mz.jpg

NBKlh.jpg

k3mGq.jpg

YIJns.jpg

These sessions have finished now, but there will be another load starting in January and I intend to go again. Even though I don't draw anywhere near enough, it is surprising how useful just one hour of drawing a real live person can be.

• Options
    I need help.

I really can't get my head around shading. This is probably the biggest thing for me at the moment. A lot of the other stuff feels like it's improving, if slowly, but shading I feel like I have literally no fucking idea what I'm doing, and it is so frustrating it just makes me want to pack it all in. I can do a line drawing and think "ok that's not so bad" and then I try and shade it and it turns into this horrible muddy mess.

I know the answer might just be "do it more" and if that's the case then cool. But I can't help feeling like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, and if I just keep doing it this way I'm only going to get better at doing it wrong.

This is something I did today. I don't normally bother doing this much shading on a piece but I figure I have to start doing it if I'm going to improve.
    6UyFA.jpg

It just looks so scratchy and shitty and the different values don't create any depth, they just look messy. I don't know if it's the pencils I'm using (3B and 6B), or my lack of technique with the pencil, or that I'm putting the wrong values in the wrong places or what.

This is the pic I used as reference. And yeah I know her face looks ridiculous. By the time I got to that point I'd kind of given up (hence also why her hair isn't done)

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

• Options
    b_albsb_albs Registered User regular
    If I've learned anything about art it's that it is a process! I'm afraid I don't have a lot of crit for your work, but as you're working I think you should keep in mind that your art is worthwhile. Even if the piece you're working on only serves to sharpen your skills, then it is still serving that purpose. You seem to beat up on yourself a lot, and I don't think your work merits that. You'll drive yourself crazy if you're expecting perfection every time you put pencil to paper.

Keep it up, keep your nose to the grindstone. I'm enjoying looking over your figures, and I think there are some pretty good relaxed poses, particularly in the two seated women.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The easiest way to get better at shading is to practice on simple forms- sphere, cube, cone, etc. As @Halen knows, you can even draw an egg :) Once you get these down then it will be easier to see what the forms you're trying to draw should look like on paper by comparing them to spheres, cones, etc. A little knowledge and practice is all you really need to draw with depth, so diagrams like these would be helpful to you. (spoiled for size)
    1309621948542.jpg

You don't even have to worry about blending to start understanding how to use different values to fulfill the purpose of shading, which is creating the appearance of form
    sphere.jpg

As far as your concerns about technique with the pencil go, to be honest I think that the soft range of pencils (like the two you have) take more work to get a smooth appearance. Personally HB is my default for the figure drawings I do at school, but for everyone it just comes down to personal preference as long as you're keeping them sharp enough. Also, you want to make it darker by gradually building up the amount of graphite you've put on, instead of just pushing harder.

Keep at it and feel good- your attempt there is a lot better than you think!

lyrium on
  • Options
    Agree'd with everything that Lyr said.

I wouldn't beat yourself up so much about "I don't get shading", because frankly I've seen a lot of people do a hell of a lot worse and think they're doing a bang-up job at it. I think a couple of concepts thrown your way and you'll be well on your way (not saying executing these concepts are easy, but at least you'll know you're headed in the right direction.

First (just so we're on the same page), some vocab. May seem redundant, but it's important to know and to evaluate your drawings in these terms. If something's going wrong with a drawing, at the core of the issue is going to be one of these 3 things.
    ShapeValueEdge.jpg

Now on to applying what Lyr said about simple forms onto a tangible example, taking into consideration the shape/value/edge concept as things progress:

smofarm.jpg

• Options
    Wow, thanks for the detailed posts guys, I really appreciate it! I will try and put all your advice into practice. And thanks for the reassurance as well, it's nice to hear I might not be doing as badly as it feels.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Draw an egg!!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    I just ate the only 2 eggs we had. Clearly I do not have the fortitude required to be a truly great artist (I just really like eggs!) But when I buy some more I will get right on that.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I thought maybe a good way to measure how I'm improving would be doing periodic self portraits, so did my first one today. About 3 mins into this I decided I hate staring at myself in a mirror but I'll probably stick with it anyway.

I managed to mess up the left eye somehow, but overall I don't hate it too much. Need to figure out a better way to position the mirror though so it's not going straight up my nose next time.

bUTPb.jpg

Bought some eggs earlier and will be drawing one tomorrow!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    eggs

nhSFl.jpg

rxqwP.jpg

• Options
    Life drawing sessions started again this week. The course is 10 2hr sessions, and I'm hoping if I really focus on my pencil work and shading then by the end of the course I will notice some improvements.

This week's efforts.

qjS4A.jpg

OOtfH.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I got this book yesterday, going to work my way through all the exercises. The first one was about doing a master copy to identify action lines. So this is my attempt at a Michelangelo sketch.

Used harder pencils for the shading this time and I think I prefer the outcome.

nygTD4N.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    This week's lifedraws

I much prefer the second one. I used a slightly different approach, much looser lines, so that might be it. Or it could just be because it doesn't have messed up foreshortening and grannyface.

If anyone can give me some feedback on my proportions that would be most appreciated. Because I feel like they're all right, so unless someone points out they're not I'm just going to keep doing them like I am!

WEGkg3Q.jpg

wVFJQGG.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Head seems small in both of them, the calf seems a little small and ill formed in the second.

Do you have any hogarth books?
    http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Anatomy-Expanded-Burne-Hogarth/dp/0823015521

His stuff has a lot of interpretation going on, but he is great at teaching how to make forms geometric, which can help with measuring.

• Options
    I don't have any Hogarth. Or any money right now unfortunately. I will have to see if I can get a local library to get hold of some.

Thanks for the feedback. I will pay more attention to head sizes next time.

• Options
    For proportions, just continually compare the sizes of everything within the figure as you're drawing. How big is the pose across vs tall, how wide is the head vs the body, how long is the foreshortened arm compared to whatever. Keep comparing different things and don't stop checking, and the proportions will keep getting more accurate.
    That last figure shows improvement in general; the way you've dawn the face is nice.

• Options
    This week's session

Not happy this week, nearly left the session halfway through. Don't feel like I'm making any progress. Been in a shitty mood for days and have to force myself to draw. Oh well.

l4JcTk5.jpg

KUGCHP1.jpg

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    This week's session

Not happy this week, nearly left the session halfway through. Don't feel like I'm making any progress. Been in a shitty mood for days and have to force myself to draw. Oh well.

This happens to everyone periodically, and it sucks, but you get through it if you just keep working. It's good that you didn't leave! The nice thing is that you're making progress even if you don't feel like it, just try to remember the things you're learning and the fact that if you feel challenged you will improve.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    lyrium wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    This week's session

This happens to everyone periodically, and it sucks, but you get through it if you just keep working. It's good that you didn't leave! The nice thing is that you're making progress even if you don't feel like it, just try to remember the things you're learning and the fact that if you feel challenged you will improve.

I second that. Keep at it!