As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Make a new thread already.

FreiFrei A French Prometheus UnboundDeadwoodRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
I guess no one wanted to make an OP so we just haven't had a SWTOR thread for a few days. Here it is. If someone (jdarksun) doesn't give me a copy of the old OP then I'll try to come up with something. In the mean time, talk about gay segregation planets and watch your spoilers.

Also, no one reads the OP after the first page is done with so WHAT'S THE POINT?

Are you the magic man?
Frei on

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Yay! I was worried that I might actually have to make a thread if nobody else did. Thank god we didn't have to go into THAT clusterfuck.

That said I have nothing of substance to really say until tuesday when I get a 680 4g card to replace this AMD 7970 piece of crap that has had errors since day one where it likes to randomly rearrange textures (it's apparently not even a bad card, some of them just 'do that' based on your configuration/manufacturer). I should probably put it up on ebay or something since it's technically not defective (it's just badly designed) but I would so much like to take a hammer to it for all the time wasted trying to figure out what was wrong. I could play the game on it now, but at this point I don't want to play anything I 'like' until I get the new card. Maybe I'll get my damn monthly coins by then (some people are getting them late sometimes, dunno why) and buy Vette a hat.

To say something even remotely on topic, where the hell are my Cathar?!? I'm praying they show up in the store when Makeb hits, but I probably shouldn't get my hopes up since they seem to be staggering everything that was supposed to be the end of last year in order to mix in F2P and coin shop stuff. So it'll probably be in the line an item or two after Makeb. You'd think they'd bump it up a little though, it's guaranteed to sell like crazy as long as they don't let you buy it with credits, at least for awhile (or make it a nutty amount of credits).

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This is the new mount on the cartel market. Pretty spiffy. (credit to dulfy for the picture.)

swtor-czerka-cr-17-incendia-speeder-3.jpg

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    New Warzone: Pod racing track!

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    So do we still have any active PA guilds going? Or some kind of PA channel?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Look at the size of engines she has.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Yes, both guilds are going on Shadowlands, but I believe the Empire one is the most active.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    To say something even remotely on topic, where the hell are my Cathar?!?

I believe prior to the news of the RotHC expansion, it's been mentioned that the Cathar would pop up as playable at around the same time as Makeb. Not sure if that still holds true after the expansion announcement.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »

Yeah, the Empire guild on Shadowlands is still fairly active, but the Republic one is... not really. Just do a /who remarkable circumference and ask someone about an invite Empire side. I don't know if anyone uses the PA channel anymore.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Pulled the craziest clutch move on a groupfinder EV this afternoon. DPSing Soa on my Guardian; after phase 2 when the floor drops I go west like always, but for some reason the ops leader took everybody east. I'd never seen it done that way before, so I got separated from the rest of the group. Jumped down two levels, but with no heals I couldn't survive the big drop after the first pause. So I lined up and jumped out over the middle of the chasm, fell past the group, and Guardian Leaped up to the healer.

8-)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Anyone got Space mission theme music ideas. Been listening to Kenny Loggins since I started playing but I think I need something a little different for the new gear rank 7 missions.

If you haven't tried one yet they are OMG HARD even with the level 7 upgrades. Sad to say I have yet to last longer then 2 minutes in one

• Options
    Darcsteel wrote: »
    Anyone got Space mission theme music ideas. Been listening to Kenny Loggins since I started playing but I think I need something a little different for the new gear rank 7 missions.

If you haven't tried one yet they are OMG HARD even with the level 7 upgrades. Sad to say I have yet to last longer then 2 minutes in one

Kenny Loggins acoustic.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Duel of Fates techno remix on loop.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Does this game have dual spec yet?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nothing saved, it's mostly just respecing.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    There's a legacy unlock that lets you respect anywhere, but no actual dual spec. Bar sets saving would be nice.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, I finally got around to going out and trying to find all the HK parts. The tatooine one was easy enough, but then I went to dromund kaas.

Holy shit, this is dumb. Like, who possibly thought this would be fun?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    Pulled the craziest clutch move on a groupfinder EV this afternoon. DPSing Soa on my Guardian; after phase 2 when the floor drops I go west like always, but for some reason the ops leader took everybody east. I'd never seen it done that way before, so I got separated from the rest of the group. Jumped down two levels, but with no heals I couldn't survive the big drop after the first pause. So I lined up and jumped out over the middle of the chasm, fell past the group, and Guardian Leaped up to the healer.

8-)

Some group like to do East for the second drop because that's where you spawn after a mind trap or whirlwind thingy. Actually though, assuming everybody's doing it like usual you should meet on the same platform after the first two drops where you take your first heal break. Dropping from West you should go right, dropping from East you should go left, and then it's a common platform.

• Options
    Yeah it's not fun. They say you should do it with a group to speed it up, doesn't help though when you are alone.

I'm sure some people were miffed when they found out they need a level 15 on the other side to get one part too and if none of that is an issue, doing some of the instances might be the final nail.

All in all, got a guild who wants to get him? GREAT!.

If not, good luck

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I was helping a guildy do the HK stuff, and when we switch to our imp alts for Kaas there was a mega group of like 20+ people that were searching for the HK part. Took no time at all.

But yes, next time I'm just buying HK.

Anyone know of a place that lists conversation companion affection gains for dailies?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    So just ran a hard mode with a Guardian tank who never uses Sundering Strike. Only "sometimes, when I'm solo."

Guess who ended up not actually tanking anything?

God, you meet all kinds in the group finder.

• Options
    That, that........

Sundering strike is pretty much worthless solo. It's only useful in groups! And only when tanking. IT'S FOR AGGRO AND NOTHING ELSE.

Welp, brain's broke now. Hope you're happy.

• Options
    The level of good players has plummeted since F2P has begun.

Chat in game can tell you that much.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Sundering Strike is the single-target damage, focus builder, and armor debuff. Are you thinking of Sweeping Strikes?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    I even use sweeping strikes solo when I AoE stuff down!

also, there's still plenty of good players... the difference is that there are many, many more players so you're going to run into a bunch more assholes now. Still plenty of good ones around.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Sundering Strike is the single-target damage, focus builder, and armor debuff. Are you thinking of Sweeping Strikes?

I was just going to ask that.

• Options
    I guess I'm thinking of 'sunder'. Which was a talented aggro ability from a completely different game, so.........

Anyways, if it's just the rage builder, a tank can get to the point they don't need that. At all. They put the debuff on smash and other hits if you get talents, so you don't use it for that either. So uh.......yeah, if that's what he's talking about you can totally forgo using it if you're a high point tank. It's not even an aggro ability. There is zero reason it would have anything to do with his tanking at that point.

• Options
    Uh, no.

It's hands-down the best focus/rage generator available to tank-specced Guards/Juggs. 4 second cooldown, +2 focus in Soresu form. If you don't use it, you're stuck spamming Strike to build focus, which is the worst skill for damage or threat and still only builds 1 focus.

(Combat Focus and Stasis/Choke have long cooldowns, Leap/Saber Throw can't be used in melee range, and Soresu's focus-on-hit has an internal cooldown.)

I was paying attention to this tank's vitals and he was always out of focus. He couldn't hold aggro for shit. The other DPS and I would clean up every single add, then turn to the Elite he had been tanking and rip it off in seconds.

If you're not using Sunder, you're Doing It Wrong.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    That's not because of Sunder.

I'm currently playing a lvl 30-ish jug, don't bother using it most of the time, and never have issues (with rage gen I mean, and I've even got a few more talents to go that will make it even better). I remember it being much harder awhile back, and I don't know what they changed to make it ridiculously easy, but it is, and if he was having rage generation issues as a tank, I don't think he was actually tank spec.

Or he could be incompetent, that happens too of course. But I'm suspecting he's either not actually tank spec, or respec'd into it and had no experience. And that ability, again, has zero to do with aggro generation. Direct taunts cost nothing, and the abilities that are +aggro can literally be made to cost nothing to use with a few tank spec talents. That tank had issues, certainly. Using sunder wasn't one of them.

Astale on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    how do you generate resources, if not by sundering?

you get rage every couple seconds from the form bonus, but that isn't nearly enough to sustain ability use

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    between ravages' cost free attacks that take awhile, saber throws, back up a few feet and leap, revenge lowering smash's cost to 0 or shout's to 1, using the +rage ability whenever it's up, enhancing the form bonus......

It takes a good rotation, but totally doable.

I'm not saying you should take it off your damn bar, things happen and you screw up the rotation. But it's, again, totally doable.

Edit: this has kind of taken a detour. My point was less about how 'you should totally not use sunder' (since that's just one rotation style), but rather the lack of doing so wasn't what would cause a tank to fail at aggro management. They fail at aggro management because they don't use the aggro abilities properly, which makes them a bad tank regardless of their rotation. Which is why I see a lot of people respec'ing into tanking from a pvp build and then falling flat on their face.

Astale on
  • Options
    Nope, sorry. He was tank-specced, and wearing Black Hole tanking gear. He was tank specced the day before when we were matched up in a group finder EV too, same issues but there was another tank to cover for him there too. Saw him Hilt Strike plenty, but I can't recall I ever saw him use Guardian Slash, probably because he never had enough focus to do more than use Blade Storm on cooldown.

Check any Jugg tanking guide, they'll all tell you Sunder is the #1 priority for focus/rage generation.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    HK parts are legacy bound, so if you have the mailbot... you can mail the parts to your other characters while the part is still on the ground, so you can get a couple at a time.
    Basically:
    1. Find part, get close
    2. Summon mail bot
    3. Dig up part
    4. Mail part to Legacy character
    5. Repeat step 3 & 4 as quickly as possible.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Unless they changed it, only three parts are legacy-bound: the capital planet ones and the one from the Tatooine vendor. All the rest you dig up are normal quest items and just go straight into your mission items tab.

As for the Sundering Strike/Assault topic, you actually use Sunder more than you might think. I'm usually pretty good on Rage in most fights on my Juggernaut tank, but Sundering Assault is, without fail, the single most-used ability in my arsenal in every boss fight I have a log for.

A typical boss fight (in this case, the Tanks from Explosive Conflict) will look something like:

Sundering Assault: 26 uses
    Retaliation: 23 uses
    Vicious Slash: 20 uses
    Force Scream: 15 uses
    Crushing Blow: 13 uses
    Assault: 10 uses
    Ravage: 9 uses

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So.....
    How is the F2p verison compared to the paid for?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It can be someone limiting though the Preferred status is less restrictive and players like to drop character-only and account-wide unlocks from the cash shop in the game's auction house to free up more of the limits. The big restrictions between F2P/Preferred and subs that you can't unlock with a cash-shop item permanently is the in-game cash limit (250K/350K), the amount of Commendation tokens for gear and mods from special vendors (20/30?), only being able to roll for loot in regular dungeons 3 times per week, only able to play Space Missions 3 times a week and being unable to play in raids. The last three can be lifted temporarily with week-long passes. I believe the special PvP zones are likewise restricted but I don't know how exactly.

• Options
    So if I want to goof around and still play the game it's not that bad?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    No, for like five bucks right now you can get the new comers pack which makes you preferred and gives you a speeder a little early. The time saved walking is probably worth it.

Otherwise, aside from occasionally nagging you about how subscribers would get x y or z it isn't too bad. You can certainly just do the story missions without an issue.

Edit: Any cash shop purchase makes you preferred, which gives a bunch of stuff. Item storage, additional skill bars, bunch of things.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I have the game and had it since last year when I debated about playing it.

• Options
    Just try it. It's not like you're going to lose anything. You can play the storylines as F2P without much of a hassle, and even less hassle if you throw down a few bucks to get preferred status.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    When you say have the game do you mean bought or just downloaded after F2P?

Zdy0pmg.jpg