As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A boy's best friend is his [Film Thread]

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I just watch tron legacy for the music. I think I have a crush on that soundtrack.

The Reconfigured album with all the remixes is pretty awesome.

I listen to it at work when I want to feel badass.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I saw Silver Linings Playbook last night. It was a good movie, well-acted. It's the only movie up for Best Actor I've seen yet, but Bradley Cooper gives an Oscar-winning performance. Also, it was weird seeing the chick from Hunger Games actually act. She reminds me a lot of young Juliet Lewis.

The ending was trite, but you see that coming, so that's fine.

I also saw Frankenweenie, which really surprised me. It was creative and touching and weird in the right sort of way, even if it stole all of the character models from Corpse Bride. I think Burton benefited from not having Johnny Depp in one of his films, even if it was a stop-motion film. I think I'd still put this behind ParaNormal and Brave, but all of them are good enough that I wouldn't mind if any of them took home Best Animated Feature.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Random movies seen:

The Brothers Bloom - A fun movie. Makes me want to see the directors other movies (Brick, Looper) since he did a good job with this for the most part. My only issue is the last 3rd or so of the movie just feels ... off. It takes a turn for the slightly dark and serious and the tone just clashes badly with the rest of the movies light, fun, whimsical touch. Overall a fun watch though and pretty damn funny in a few parts. I think that's what killed the ending for me really. It stopped me light-hearted and funny and started acting like it was a real crime movie or somethnig.

Annie Hall - When I saw this at the library, I figured I had to watch it just cause it's so well known. Not a bad movie overall and you can definitely see how many movies have been influenced by it's style. (especially 500 Days of Summer) At the same time, I didn't find it super funny for the most part and it didn't feel super meaningful or insightful or anything. It's was ok but I wasn't blown away or anything. The funniest thing is watching it, I realised that every Woody Allen impression I've ever seen is actually going too easy on the neurosis. That may have been part of the issue I had, cause it got kind of annoying after awhile.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    You'll like Brick and Looper better, shryke. Because everybody does.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    You'll like Brick and Looper better, shryke. Because everybody does.

Not that Brothers Bloom is a bad movie, but yes, this is true.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I just watch tron legacy for the music. I think I have a crush on that soundtrack.

did you see the spoof poster for "2 Hour Daftpunk Video"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Celeste and Jesse Forever, is it better than the summary makes it seem? I want to like it because I like Samberg and Jones, but it has a whiff of Away We Go to it reading the itunes description.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »

did you see the spoof poster for "2 Hour Daftpunk Video"

Yes good stuff. I have a "better then stereo tv" sound system and it just still doesnt live up to the theater experience :\

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Annie Hall - When I saw this at the library, I figured I had to watch it just cause it's so well known. Not a bad movie overall and you can definitely see how many movies have been influenced by it's style. (especially 500 Days of Summer) At the same time, I didn't find it super funny for the most part and it didn't feel super meaningful or insightful or anything. It's was ok but I wasn't blown away or anything. The funniest thing is watching it, I realised that every Woody Allen impression I've ever seen is actually going too easy on the neurosis. That may have been part of the issue I had, cause it got kind of annoying after awhile.

Annie Hall isn't really a comedy outright, and most the humor it does have is more observational and commentating on Allen's self-destructive habit of overanalyzing everything.

It's a little too long, I feel, but it was really the first romantic film of its kind to be so self-aware and willing to show how relationships can go bad realistically. I'm not Allen's biggest cheerleader, but Annie Hall is the template for the subgenre of more introspective and realistic relationship dramas that came afterwards. It changed the dynamic of the Hollywood romance's conflict from, "Will this relationship last?" to "Should this relationship last?"

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Celeste and Jesse Forever, is it better than the summary makes it seem? I want to like it because I like Samberg and Jones, but it has a whiff of Away We Go to it reading the itunes description.

I dunno, I liked Away We Go a lot more than I expected to.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Annie Hall isn't really a comedy outright, and most the humor it does have is more observational and commentating on Allen's self-destructive habit of overanalyzing everything.

It's a little too long, I feel, but it was really the first romantic film of its kind to be so self-aware and willing to show how relationships can go bad realistically. I'm not Allen's biggest cheerleader, but Annie Hall is the template for the subgenre of more introspective and realistic relationship dramas that came afterwards. It changed the dynamic of the Hollywood romance's conflict from, "Will this relationship last?" to "Should this relationship last?"

Yeah, I can see that in many later movies. It still feels like it's fresh and original because of how much of the romantic comedy genre is still doing the things the movie is breaking down.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I didn't particularly care for Brothers Bloom. It felt like it dragged on way too long, and I think it was pretending to be a lot smarter than it actually was. Unlike Brick and Looper, when the end finally came I had completely ceased to be engaged by the movie and kind of just thought "Well, I'm not entirely sure those were two hours well spent."

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    movie 43. welp. i dont know.

i mean. i laughed at one or two things? but apart from that its probably the worse movie i've seen all year and we're not even out of january yet.

weirdly enough i hear the usa had a different wrap around story than our uk one, the usa had dennis quaid pitching film ideas while for some reason we got american kids searching the internet for shit and finding fisher stevens along the way... i thought that guy was dead.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fisher Stevens wishes he was dead. Well dead or playing another horrible indian stereotype.

I feel so awful when I was a kid I had no idea he wasn't actually indian.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i had to explain to my friends after the film who he was and thus revealed all the terrible shit i've seen him in. i ended up becoming some weird super mario bros movie apologist. :|

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    You went with your friends to see movie 43? I would think that would be a shameful thing you wouldn't admit to seeing. Like spongebob sqaure nuts xxx.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I found Annie Hall pretty depressing - whereas Eternal Sunshine focuses on the positive and the negative of the relationship in equal measure I felt like Annie Hall was mostly about the negative.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    You went with your friends to see movie 43? I would think that would be a shameful thing you wouldn't admit to seeing. Like spongebob sqaure nuts xxx.

well, we saw all the new releases that day, zero dark thirty, lincoln, the last stand. movie 43 was just the last of the bunch. we were not expecting it to be fucking horrible as we were still on a high from seeing two and half great films before hand.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I found Annie Hall pretty depressing - whereas Eternal Sunshine focuses on the positive and the negative of the relationship in equal measure I felt like Annie Hall was mostly about the negative.

There's only a few scenes where they seem really happy.

Though frankly, I can't figure out why anyone would like Woody Allen's character in that movie. His friend seems to only vaguely tolerate him.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Wait, Fisher Stevens is the Indian Guy from short circuit?

• Options
    Yes, yes he shamefully is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So I just finished Adventures of Tintin, which I started because I had just seen Black Hawk Down and it was the hardest to watch film I've ever sat through and I needed something to cheer me up. I was a bit leery of Tintin because of what I remember from this thread, and for the most part, it really is just a big expensive excuse to have as many set pieces as possible in 100 minutes. Tintin as a character was bland and at times the animation took a dive straight the bottom of uncanny valley, but I can't fault the movie for these things, because it was a joy to watch. Sure, there are some truly ridiculous things (crane sword fighting. Come on now.), but I was having such a good time with the movie I didn't care. The story may simply be a vehicle to get the characters from set piece to set piece, but sometimes I just want to sit down and have fun with a movie, and that's what I got. Adventures of Tintin is simply fun.

I can't bring myself to watch Tintin since the entire thing is motion captured, roto-scoped bullshit. The inner animator in me just won't allow it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    But Andy Serkis!

• Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    So I just finished Adventures of Tintin, which I started because I had just seen Black Hawk Down and it was the hardest to watch film I've ever sat through and I needed something to cheer me up. I was a bit leery of Tintin because of what I remember from this thread, and for the most part, it really is just a big expensive excuse to have as many set pieces as possible in 100 minutes. Tintin as a character was bland and at times the animation took a dive straight the bottom of uncanny valley, but I can't fault the movie for these things, because it was a joy to watch. Sure, there are some truly ridiculous things (crane sword fighting. Come on now.), but I was having such a good time with the movie I didn't care. The story may simply be a vehicle to get the characters from set piece to set piece, but sometimes I just want to sit down and have fun with a movie, and that's what I got. Adventures of Tintin is simply fun.

I can't bring myself to watch Tintin since the entire thing is motion captured, roto-scoped bullshit. The inner animator in me just won't allow it.

I hate the shit out of mocap movies, but I found Tintin to be an enjoyable (if ultimately shallow and flawed) film. I think it would've been a shit-ton better in live action, but whatevs.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I watched For Love of the Game today and I don't know how to feel about it, but I think I'm leaning towards "didn't like it." I'm a sucker for baseball movies, cliche-riddled as they are. There's just something about baseball movies that I love, even though watching the sport on TV is kinda awful. Anyway, I watched it because I wanted a baseball movie. What I ended up with was a crappy romance film with a baseball sideplot tacked on, or at least that's how it felt. The main focus of the film was the boring and poorly acted romance, which itself was brimming with cliche goodness. Every other line was gag inducing. I suffered through it only to get to the next baseball scene, which were so much more compelling despite how predictable they were. It's bad when you can predict how every single pitch would go in the climatic ninth inning. Even so, baseball movies (and especially perfect game movies) work so well for me that it didn't matter. When the film focused solely on the game during that ninth inning with no Kelly Preston crap, it was good enough to almost make me forget how bad the rest of it was. But then the actual ending happened and it all came flooding back.

"I love you."
    "I never believed it."
    "Believe it."

:v:

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Watched The Thing (1982) tonight for a repeat viewing; what a fantastic film. I think I appreciate it more and more every time I watch it.

This time though, I was particularly drawn to the absurd computer program Blair uses to examine the thing's cell assimilation process. How goofy is it that there's such a program that outlines the exact, specific information he needs? It's as if they prepared for every possible contingency when building the computer :lol:

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Oh man, it just might be time to watch The Thing again.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    I am getting close to my yearly Thing viewing. Its the only thing that gets me through February.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Things to notice about The Thing:

1) Clothing.
    2) When someone is offered a drink.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Things to notice about The Thing:

1) Clothing.
    2) When someone is offered a drink.

3) Russell's awesome facial hair
    4) Brimley's preposterous lack thereof

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I am ashamed to admit I have never seen The Thing. It's sitting there, in my Netflix Streaming Queue, waiting for me to finally either convince the wife (who generally refuses to watch horror movies) that we should watch it, or wait until some mythical time in which I am the only person in the living room for a long enough period of time to watch a movie.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The Thing is pretty much the only horror movie I can watch. It's so good all the way around, I can get past the crazy shit going on in it.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The Thing is one of those all time great sci-fi/horror movies. Great cast, great setting, tension, narrative and story. And while the effects aren't always great looking or realistic they're always totally gross and awesome.

I haven't seen the "modern" remake yet, was it any good?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I've heard it's pretty good, but not as good.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I thought the recent Thing movie was supposed to be a more-or-less immediate prequel to the 80s version, rather than a remake?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah you're right, it takes place with the Norwegians you see at the start of the original

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I thought the recent Thing movie was supposed to be a more-or-less immediate prequel to the 80s version, rather than a remake?

It is; it toes the line between homage and straight up re-doing certain scenes for the benefit of fans of the original (for the former) and people unfamiliar with the original (for the latter). The CG is generally well done and is usually just overlaying practical effects.

It all kind of falls to shambles at the end, but I didn't think it was terrible; I actually thought it was tense, atmospheric, and had a lot of decent qualities to it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's not terrible. It's just weird how it is clearly a prequel but insists on using a lot of the same plot beats and basic scenes.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    I am ashamed to admit I have never seen The Thing. It's sitting there, in my Netflix Streaming Queue, waiting for me to finally either convince the wife (who generally refuses to watch horror movies) that we should watch it, or wait until some mythical time in which I am the only person in the living room for a long enough period of time to watch a movie.

!!!

Geth, give @Houn a warning for not yet having watched the best horror film ever made.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    You cannot negotiate with me. I do not share your pity, remorse, or fear, @Houn.
    Warned @Houn (0 points for 30 days) for "not yet having watched the best horror film ever made"

This discussion has been closed.