As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire, BOOK AND TV AND ESPECIALLY BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The more we talk about this, the more I'm looking forward to it. If they don't skip any Sundays (I jumped in a few months ago, do they just do ten straight weeks?), episode 9 will be May 26th. Circling my calendar.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's been all over the place, frankly. Not specifically, but all the newbies know Robb made a terrible mistake last season and pointed out why and most of them got that Bolton was going to be part of it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm in. Just as long as they don't foreshadow anything they shouldn't (which I don't expect them to). Also, Fakefaux, the 3rd is the Super Bowl itself, so are you thinking the 10th?

Ah, yes, quite.

The more we talk about this, the more I'm looking forward to it. If they don't skip any Sundays (I jumped in a few months ago, do they just do ten straight weeks?), episode 9 will be May 26th. Circling my calendar.

Yep, ten straight weeks.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Giants, unsullied and nice look at Beric. Plus some shots of Emilia Clarke being so pretty.

I agree with all of those, though I'd also like a look at Jaime and Brienne in the bear pit.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Giants, unsullied and nice look at Beric. Plus some shots of Emilia Clarke being so pretty.

I agree with all of those, though I'd also like a look at Jaime and Brienne in the bear pit.

I think that there's a strong chance we'll see Jamie looking like shit, sometime after he loses his hand. The image wouldn't show the hand is missing, but it'd show Jamie looking devastated.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Yep, ten straight weeks.

I thought they were expanding this season to 12? That may have been just a fervent hope that I chose to believe happened, though.

Nope, ten episodes, but longer ones that add up to another full episode in effect.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular

Yep, ten straight weeks.

I thought they were expanding this season to 12? That may have been just a fervent hope that I chose to believe happened, though.

No, you aren't crazy. I had the same impression for a long time. We were wrong, but ...

They have said each episode this season will be a little longer, on average. Just by a minute or two, though.

• qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    I think they said they added five more minutes of content per episodes, which makes 50 minutes total additional content, i.e. one more episode.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    You know, Jaime doesn't have to lose the hand full on to have the necessary effect, they could just cut the fingers off or crush the hand with a big hammer, wouldn't that be easier for monster makeup fx?

steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    You know, Jaime doesn't have to lose the hand full on to have the necessary effect, they could just cut the fingers off or crush the hand with a big hammer, wouldn't that be easier for monster makeup fx?

Soon as he gets back they can just give him a gold-plated glove to wear, so there's not much reason to change it. And a smooshed or disfigured hand would probably end up requiring more makeup than just chopping it off

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oh, also a fan-theory that I hadn't seen before, based on some of the stuff Lady Dustin says in book 5. Basically: why did Aerys demand not only Ned Stark, but also Robert Baratheon? Were all the betrothals between major families part of a brewing alliance to depose the king?

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/index.html

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Every time I delve even a little bit into the things that are only hinted beyond what is explicitly stated in the novels, it becomes clear to me precisely why George R. R. Martin is having such difficulty weaving all the threads together. There's quite a bit of backstory (both in terms of overall history and each individual character's motivation) that exists which cannot be superseded, regardless of whether or not the reader is actually aware of those details. And because the lay readers have no line of sight into all of those details and their subsequent entanglements, we generally feel as though the writing is "taking too long".

It's unfortunate, because only after after multiple readings does one truly begin to appreciate the subtleties and complexities which Martin brings into his writing. Clearly, the strength of the plot alone drives book sales through the roof, and if he focused just on getting the story out, at this point people would eat it up (and pay him for that pleasure). But it's fair to say that these are books that have a far better chance of standing the test of time than, say, R.L. Stine or James Patterson.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm amazed GRRM can keep all this in his head or on notes. There is so much back story for even the most minor characters. It is amazing to me, and makes Westeros so much more real.

And Kana, I think we read the same theory sites, I saw that just a few days ago too. Very interesting read, if slightly long, but worth it. I wonder if any of it will be confirmed/denied right out by GRRM.

Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm amazed GRRM can keep all this in his head or on notes. There is so much back story for even the most minor characters. It is amazing to me, and makes Westeros so much more real.

And Kana, I think we read the same theory sites, I saw that just a few days ago too. Very interesting read, if slightly long, but worth it. I wonder if any of it will be confirmed/denied right out by GRRM.

He has a fairly detailed database where he can call up characters and see how he's described them. But he's been known to make use of the admins on westeros.org for this task, also.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Soon as he gets back they can just give him a gold-plated glove to wear, so there's not much reason to change it. And a smooshed or disfigured hand would probably end up requiring more makeup than just chopping it off

While its true it requires more make up, practical monster fx make up is cheaper than blue/green invisible hand CGI in post.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2013
    Kana wrote: »

While its true it requires more make up, practical monster fx make up is cheaper than blue/green invisible hand CGI in post.

Right, but think long term. Once Jaime gets his golden hand, all they need is a prop glove. No prosthetics, no CGI. We might see his actual severed stump once, and then at all other times before he gets the golden hand they could just wrap it it in bandages, like in that set photo I linked earlier. A disfigured hand would be more problematic, because you'd need CGI or prosthetics every time you showed his hand at all, or find some other way to reliably hide it.

Fakefaux on
    edited January 2013
    The complete lack of hand also does more to preemptively put to rest questions about "maybe it'll get better."

Also, having Nikolaj Coster-Waldau wear a blue glove for a few episodes so it can be removed fairly easily in post (or something) isn't going to break the FX budget.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah they can just use a mold he squeezes his hand in to or something too. There's no need for CGI to replicate a gold hand.

• CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    They've got money for dragons. They can probably afford some episodes of invisible hand CGI until they can get a gold glove on the dude.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    CGI isn't necessary at any point though. People have been portrayed, convincingly, without hands simply through smart use of camera angles and obstructing views for, I dunno, decades at least?

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »

He has a fairly detailed database where he can call up characters and see how he's described them. But he's been known to make use of the admins on westeros.org for this task, also.

Which sets up some wonderful trolling opportunities...
    "Hey Westeros admin - how much foreshadowing is there on (admin's favorite character)'s death?"

• CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    CGI isn't necessary at any point though. People have been portrayed, convincingly, without hands simply through smart use of camera angles and obstructing views for, I dunno, decades at least?

I don't know about convincingly. I'd prefer a few shots where they specifically have digitally edited out the hand. It'd be visually striking.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Holy shit someone did a lot of work re: Littlefinger: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/51015-the-mad-genius-of-petyr-baelish/

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited January 2013
    It is petty of me, but it bothers me that there are so many spelling errors in that post.

Really, across the westeros.org forums.

I wouldn't be bothered (as much) if the forum were focused on a movie, tv show, song, or video game; these things are mostly visual entertainment with some light reading. But to be a reader and be unable to spell unimpeded or alibi? It's a source of frustration.

and, of course, the first comment is "tl;dr". I weep for the species.

Tamin on
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Holy shit someone did a lot of work re: Littlefinger: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/51015-the-mad-genius-of-petyr-baelish/

Pretty good reasoning of Petyr actions and thoughts (esp how he came to be Littlefinger). I disagree with the fact that he believes in magic and curses, instead using them as a tool to further the paranoia of the characters he tells about curses and magic. For Tyrion, it would further set his suspicions about Varys and Cersei spying. The problem however, with Tyrion is that he trusts Varys more then Littlefinger. This means Petyr can't manipulate Tyiron as much as he did with Ned.

Can't wait for season 3, unsure if I should get the bluray of season 2 as my copy of season 1 I've barely watched. But tempted.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2013
    The Bear and the Maiden Fair will be sung during the bear pit scene.

This is rapidly becoming one of the scenes I'm looking forward to the most.

Fakefaux on
    edited January 2013
    Erlec wrote: »

Pretty good reasoning of Petyr actions and thoughts (esp how he came to be Littlefinger). I disagree with the fact that he believes in magic and curses, instead using them as a tool to further the paranoia of the characters he tells about curses and magic. For Tyrion, it would further set his suspicions about Varys and Cersei spying. The problem however, with Tyrion is that he trusts Varys more then Littlefinger. This means Petyr can't manipulate Tyiron as much as he did with Ned.

Can't wait for season 3, unsure if I should get the bluray of season 2 as my copy of season 1 I've barely watched. But tempted.

Special features! Commentaries!

Tamin on

I really like how they say "the spoiler is after the cut" but there is no cut.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

The cut is on the main page.

reVerse wrote: »

The cut is on the main page.

Ah. Seems like they should just move to a spoiler system. There are dozens.

"More after the cut" is a pretty standard way of getting extra clicks. It's not supposed to be an anti-spoiler system.

Right, but that system is, has been, and always will be annoying.

Well maybe you should stop clicking on links, then.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    OMG OMG Tormund looks perfect...

Jubal77 wrote: »

I honestly thought he looked a bit young and wild-eyed for the role. Then again, I guess "crazy eyes" work for someone who lies constantly.

Jubal77 wrote: »

I honestly thought he looked a bit young and wild-eyed for the role. Then again, I guess "crazy eyes" work for someone who lies constantly.

...what if he never lies? 8->

This discussion has been closed.