As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Train Alliance 2013: Metal Gear Line (Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany, Boston)

rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in PAX East
This is for the METAL GEAR LINE!

Feel free to copy this code for your line (thanks to Lady Amalthea).

The Metal Gear Line is the Gold doodle along the great lakes on the map below and services PAXers on the following route and those jumping on from the Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Lemmings, Pac-Man, Luigi Lines:
Note: Please let me know if you have a different time or station. Thanks!

The Metal Gear Line
Train: 448 Lake Shore Limited
Originating Station: Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI) - Boston, MA - South Station (BOS)
Departure Time/Date: Departs: 9:30 PM CST(10:30 EDT) Wed Mar 20 2013
Travel Time: 7h58m
Scheduled Stops
South Bend, IN - March 20, 11:59P EDT
Elkhart, IN - March 21, 12:22A EDT
Waterloo, IN - March 21, 1:15A EDT
Bryan, OH - March 21, 1:40A EDT
Toledo, OH - March 21, 2:50A - 3:20A EDT
Sandusky, OH - March 21, 4:12A EDT
Elyria, OH - March 21, 4:51A EDT
Cleveland, OH - March 21, 5:35A-5:50A EDT
Erie, PA - March 21, 7:22A EDT
Buffalo-Depew, NY - March 21, 8:58A-9:08A EDT
Rochester, NY - March 21, 10:08A EDT
Syracuse, NY - March 21, 11:38A EDT
Utica, NY - March 21, 12:42P EDT
Schenectady, NY - March 21, 2:00P EDT
Albany-Rensselaer, NY - March 21, 2:50P EDT
Pittsfield, MA - March 21, 4:29P EDT
Springfield, MA - March 21, 5:48P-5:53P EDT
Worcester, MA - March 21, 6:57P EDT
Framingham, MA - March 21, 7:35P EDT
Boston, MA (Back Bay) - March 21, 9:03P EDT
Destination Station: Boston, MA - South Station (BOS)
Arrival Date/Time: March 21, 9:10P EDT

35kisjo.jpg

What it is
For those of you just joining us, the PAX East Train Alliance (PAX ETA), or "PAXTrain" for short, is a coordinated effort for PAX-goers to ride the same train at the same time going to Boston for PAX East- both as an alternative to driving or flying, and to enjoy an intimate "mini-convention" while en-route. Obviously, it is impossible for EVERYBODY to be on the same train, so this is a coordinated effort to get as many people together as possible.

Note: When booking at amtrak.com, you may have to book each of your trains separately to get on the train that you want. Please take note of this when booking to ensure you end up on the same train as everybody else.

Why the train?
Why not? It's a blast. Spend some time getting to know fellow PAX attendees before the show. We don't care if you're new - this ain't no private party, and all people going to PAX are welcome. We invite you to join us! After taking the train, you'll have a bunch of friendly faces in the crowd at PAX.

How to get on the PAXTrain
Check the map and schedule below to find out what train is closes to you and when you should be on it. Then, buy your tickets through amtrak.com for the appropriate train on the appropriate time/day.

Stuff You Need
You'll need to be prepared to survive on PAXTrain. Following is a list of stuff you probably should bring if you want to have a liveable experience on the rails.
You are allowed to carry on two bags, and check three (if you board at a station that allows checked baggage). We suggest checking a suitcase for your PAX supplies and packing a separate carry on bag / backpack. This pack should contain personal effects and clothing, as well as everything else you think you'll need on the train.

Ear plugs and an eye mask. It is considered PAXTrain courtesy to be quiet in all coach areas, where people may be sleeping - but still, be prepared.

A toothbrush and toothpaste, mouthwash, a comb, and if you need them, shaving razors and cream. No showers are provided for coach passengers, so if you're on the train for two days bring wipes or a sponge or something to wash the stank off in the bathroom sink the second day. Ignoring basic hygene highlights a disregard for your fellow gamers, who are great people who don't need to know what you smell like after two days without cleaning yourself in a cramped environment.

Snacks. There is a snack cart and a dining car, but it's not cheap. You can save some money if you bring some food and water with you.

Your meds. Nobody needs to see you off them.

We also recommend the following items:
A power strip. We plan on bringing power squids and some power strips, but there are never enough outlets.

A handheld system - a Nintendo DS is the preferred item for wireless gaming. A PSP is welcome but has more of a personal role rather than multiplaying with the cool kids.

Card games. Bring your Magic deck, your Fluxx deck, your Curses deck, your WoWTCG deck, your Pokemon deck, or shit, even a Sailor Moon TCG deck, I don't care. Bring it. If you have a silly game that's easy to learn bring it, We didn't Playtest This was a big train hit.

A book for pleasure reading. We advise everyone to take a break from train festivities to "regroup", and read a book or listen to music.

Headphones, preferably a pair of earbuds rather than studio headphones, but to each his own.
Cash. Dining with fellow PAXtrain goers is a good way to relax and get to know some people. Expect about one breakfast (from the snack cart), two lunches and two dinners with each trip (either from the snack cart or the dining car), each meal running about 10 dollars. Apart from that, bring spare cash for snacks or bring your own in your travel backpack.

The RULES
Don't be a dick
Just don't. Play nice, children. And if you don't like someone, don't start shit.

Don't be an ass to the Amtrak staff
Train staffers are generally pretty cool and will let us do what we want with little explanation. Be nice to them, and if they tell you to do something, do it.

Don't be a loud prick
Other people may be sleeping in other cars. Or whatever. Noise discipline: Be quiet in the coach areas and sleeper cars, be polite in the dining cars and don't try to overrun areas during the day if other people are using it.

Don't be a freak to kids
When kids are around, mind your tongue. Pretend Mommy's right behind you. Don't give anyone a reason to complain about PAXTrain.

Don't get too hammered.
Public intoxication laws apply, even on a train.

To be added to the list copy/paste the text below and add in your info:
[B]Name:[/B]
[B]Twitter:[/B]
[B]Location:[/B]
[B]Boarding Stop:[/B]
[B]Ticket Purchased:[/B]
[B]Games You're Bringing:[/B]
[/quote]

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
fss.png
rileyper on

• Options
    NewspaperCraneNewspaperCrane Registered User regular
    Name: Newspapercrane
    Twitter: Newspapercrane
    Boarding Stop: Chicago
    Ticket Purchased: Yes
    Games You're Bringing: Cards Against Humanity, some type of pokemon, and a poorly constructed Magic deck.

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Name: Jordan
    Twitter: @the_madhatter__
    Boarding Stop: Springfield
    Games You're Bringing: A Magic deck, probably Cards Against Humanity, possibly one other small group game to be determined.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Name: Andrew
    Twitter: @TheFuzzyP3nguin (I never use it but maybe I will starting with PAX this year)
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, OH
    Ticket Purchased: Yes (Four tickets :D )
    Games You're Bringing: Munchkin (and Munchkin Zombies), Zombie Dice, Dominion, crappy Magic deck (and Archenemy decks), Cards Against Humanity, and probably Castle Panic or Pandemic. I wish Boss Monster was going to arrive by then - perfect game for the train :(

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Name: Philip
    Twitter: Rileyper
    Boarding Stop: Chicago, Il
    Games You're Bringing: FLUXX, Bananagrams, Dixit, Zombie Dice, possibly Get Bit

rileyper on
    Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    fss.png
  • Options
    aneislisaneislis Registered User new member
    Name: Brian & Jessica
    Twitter: mrsbarrette (don't really use it, though)
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, Ohio (Thursday Morning)
    Ticket Purchased: Hell yes!
    Games You're Bringing: Fluxx, electronic handhelds

• Options
    MatsumaeMatsumae Registered User regular
    Name: Matt and Kristen
    Twitter: @Maeode
    Boarding Stop: Buffalo Depew
    Ticket Purchased: yes!
    Games You're Bringing: some fluxx card games. Will spend most of the trip playing the monster hunter for 3ds that releases that day, any and all are welcome to join us in our hunts :)

• Options
    AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Name: Mark
    Twitter: @AsmodeusLore
    Boarding Stop: Buffalo Depew
    Ticket Purchased: Yes!
    Games You're Bringing: Will have Pandemic on hand. I'm also up for running a game of D&D for 4-6 players. I will have everything you need to participate.

@Fuzzy Penguin, if you bring Castle Panic, I'll be glad to game with you.

Additionally, I have one extra ticket for sale. $120 round trip. Boarding in Buffalo, NY. Return trip is Sunday at 11:55AM. For an extra $50 I can push the return trip back until the evening.

I will be returning on Sunday, either 11:55AM, or 9PM. Anyone going on the same return trip?

AsmodeusLore on
  • Options
    Games You're Bringing: Will have Pandemic on hand. I'm also up for running a game of D&D for 4-6 players. I will have everything you need to participate.

I will be returning on Sunday, either 11:55AM, or 9PM. Anyone going on the same return trip?
    Sounds good to me - I'll bring it then. May bring Pandemic as well since we've got quite the ride from Cleveland to Buffalo, but I'll just have to see how much room I have since we can't check any bags due to our departure time.

I might be interested in trying out D&D, although I've never played before so I may sit back and watch your game or someone else's just to get a better feel for it.

Our group is returning on Monday - train leaves Boston right before noon and doesn't get back to Cleveland until 2:30am :(

• Options
    Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    @the_fuzzy_penguin: We'll be on the same returning trip. Nothing like a drained train ride home.

• Options
    Dgeorge318 wrote: »
    @the_fuzzy_penguin: We'll be on the same returning trip. Nothing like a drained train ride home.
    I'm wondering how that trip will go. If it's going to be all games and whatnot like the way there, or if everyone is just going to sleep the entire time with people missing their stops!

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    Two years ago I took that train back to Cleveland. Much more laid back but still lots of gaming going on in the cafe car. I think many people that were disembarking west of Ohio decided to sleep, but I decided to stay up since it would have been more disorienting for me to wake up and drive in the middle of the night.

• Options
    Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    As said by Durinthal, it's usually just a chill ride home. People hang out and play games, but usually stops early with people getting home at 3am and later needing sleep to drive.

• Options
    tangentiatangentia Registered User regular
    Name: Amanda
    Twitter: @tangentize
    Boarding Stop: Rochester, NY
    Ticket Purchased: yep!
    Games You're Bringing: I don't really have any portable games, but I'd love to jump in on any other games people are playing! :)

• Options
    KapolKapol Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    -

Kapol on
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    Name: Tony
    Twitter: @abucchioni
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, OH
    Games You're Bringing: A couple MtG Commander decks, DS Games (Mario Kart, Diamond Trust of London), We Didn't Playtest This At All

There's 5-6 of us in a big group this year. Should be fun. Not sure if I'll have cookies with me yet, but I should be wearing my top hat.

• Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular

Sounds good to me - I'll bring it then. May bring Pandemic as well since we've got quite the ride from Cleveland to Buffalo, but I'll just have to see how much room I have since we can't check any bags due to our departure time.

I might be interested in trying out D&D, although I've never played before so I may sit back and watch your game or someone else's just to get a better feel for it.

Our group is returning on Monday - train leaves Boston right before noon and doesn't get back to Cleveland until 2:30am :(

I've always been able to just bring the extra bags on the train, honestly. This will be my fourth year. Cleveland's station sucks. :(

• Options
    Xiryc wrote: »
    I've always been able to just bring the extra bags on the train, honestly. This will be my fourth year. Cleveland's station sucks. :(
    That's good news. In Boston they let you bring it, too (or maybe check it at that point)?

I'd love trying We Didn't Playtest This - we almost bought it last weekend but decided we had too many games we hadn't yet played already.

• Options
    aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Name: Laura (plus Ben)
    Twitter: aikoe (I never use it except for PAX info while I'm there)
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, OH (5:30 am boarding wooo)
    Ticket Purchased: oh dear me yes
    Games You're Bringing: Probably Zombie Dice and CAH. Between us we'll definitely be bringing two DSes and a 3DS, and probably a PSP and a Vita, along with whatever games we happen to grab on the way out the door. We'll have a couple generations of Pokemon on hand, plus some Elite Beat Agents if anyone's into that.

This is not my first time on a train, but it IS my first time on a crappy American long-distance train. Fellow Cleveland-based riders: despite the fact that I have Googled it a dozen times and can look out my office window at the Amtrak station between typing words, I can't tell if it has easily accessible and/or safe long-term parking. I assume it's okay to just... drive and leave our cars there? Do you have to pay for parking? Can you check bags at Cleveland station?

Everyone: Would you suggest walking from South Station to the Westin or taking the bus?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    aikoe wrote: »
    Everyone: Would you suggest walking from South Station to the Westin or taking the bus?

Take the silver line from South Station to the World Trade Center station. It is then a very short walk to the Westin Waterfront from there.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

Take the silver line from South Station to the World Trade Center station. It is then a very short walk to the Westin Waterfront from there.

Awesome, thanks. I saw that the #7 bus runs right through that way as well, but I didn't know how long the walk was, since we've always driven to East before.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
  • Options

Thanks, we were just planning on walking there but that sounds like a much better plan :)

• Options
    Also if you're going to the Seaport or the Renaissance, the walk is even *shorter* from the WTC station. The station is directly underneath the Seaport.

• Options
    Also if you're going to the Seaport or the Renaissance, the walk is even *shorter* from the WTC station. The station is directly underneath the Seaport.

Wish i had known that last year... but i think i had more fun walking with my group.

fss.png
  • Options
    I assume it's okay to just... drive and leave our cars there? Do you have to pay for parking? Can you check bags at Cleveland station?

This was two years ago, but I just left my car there (free parking) and didn't have any trouble when I got back. Not sure if that was stupid and I got lucky though.

And it's honestly not a bad walk from South Station to the Westin. It's a straight line, about 10-15 minutes.

• Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do while I'm in Chicago. My train arrives at 11am-1pm with layover til trip to Boston.

fss.png
  • Options
    rileyper wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do while I'm in Chicago. My train arrives at 11am-1pm with layover til trip to Boston.

If you have enough time, ride to the top of the Sears tower (or whatever horrible name it has now).

• Options
    chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    Name: Chelsea
    Twitter: Sea__Breeze
    Boarding Stop: Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI)
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, for me and my BF
    Games You're Bringing: Citadels, Cards Against Humanity, My DS (with Kirby, Mario Party, Pokemon White, and Kingdom Hearts)

• Options
    edited March 2013

My BF isn't on this thread at the moment, but would likely be interested in a game of D&D. Should people roll for their characters in advance to make everything a little faster?

chlsebrz on
  • Options
    chlsebrz wrote: »

My BF isn't on this thread at the moment, but would likely be interested in a game of D&D. Should people roll for their characters in advance to make everything a little faster?

I think I'm just going to bring pre-gens, since this will be a one-shot.

• Options
    Do people typically sleep on the train during normal sleeping hours? I'm getting on at 5:30 in the morning and would love to meet you all, but it'll be 5:30 in the morning, so, you know...

• Options
    DaedusDaedus Registered User new member
    Any advice on getting to the BCEC from Fitchburg with minimal walking via the T and/or buses? I've been to the site but I'm still rather unclear.

• Options
    Do people typically sleep on the train during normal sleeping hours?

I'm not planning on sleeping as we just got coach seats and I am bringing an abundance of energy drinks. I think you'll likely find a few people up playing one game or another.

• Options
    Is there WiFi on the train?

• Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    Do people typically sleep on the train during normal sleeping hours? I'm getting on at 5:30 in the morning and would love to meet you all, but it'll be 5:30 in the morning, so, you know...
    The coach section and sleeper cars typically get quiet at night. Most who stay up at night congregate in the cafe car. The staff do ask us to free up space around meal times.
    chlsebrz wrote: »
    Is there WiFi on the train?
    There's no WiFi on the train, but most stations along the way have it. A few people put up hotspots on their phones, but data coverage is spotty on some legs of the trip.

PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    Daedus wrote: »
    Any advice on getting to the BCEC from Fitchburg with minimal walking via the T and/or buses? I've been to the site but I'm still rather unclear.

Commuter rail, maybe? Not the thread for it if that's the case. (If you do take that, get off at Porter, take the Red Line to South Station and either walk or Silver Line from there.)
    radjago wrote: »
    A few people put up hotspots on their phones, but data coverage is spotty on some legs of the trip.

I definitely didn't have service on Sprint for a good part of New York/western Massachusetts in 2011.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Durinthal wrote: »
    radjago wrote: »
    A few people put up hotspots on their phones, but data coverage is spotty on some legs of the trip.

I definitely didn't have service on Sprint for a good part of New York/western Massachusetts in 2011.

The Gs are hard to come by between Utica and Albany. It's a good time to break out Jenga.

• Options
    antherem wrote: »
    The Gs are hard to come by between Utica and Albany. It's a good time to break out Jenga.

But... What if I'm willing to settle for three of them? I can't have just three?

• Options
    KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I'd love to break out the Jenga at some point. Playing Jenga on a train... what could possibly go wrong?

Also, the mention of D-and/or-D brings me in to question if anyone would be willing to let a newbie in to try the game out during one game. I've been wanting to play D+D for years, but I've not had the chance.

• Options
    Kapol, if you don't get into a train-game, there will be lots of D&D to be had at the convention itself. See the D&D Thread on this very forum for details.

• Options
    Someone should definetly bring Jenga. I would but mine was sacrificed in an unfortunate drinking game.