As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Well, this wiki page seems to have a far amount of info. Not sure how much is outdated or not though.

But, it did answer some questions.

There are sniper rifles, including alien sniper rifles. Not to mention grenade launchers and what seems to be a medi-gun.

As to other vehicles, well, I'll let screenshots answer that, though they are a bit low quality shots:
    Transport.jpg
    Transport

Ceberus.jpg
    Cerberus jeep

It also seems (if it is still accurate) that only two races will be available at launch. Humans and Irathient

edit- The various alien races themselves do not seem to be Super Best Friends. From what I understand the only real reason they came together was because they all faced Certain Doom on their own. Otherwise their politics, factions, and motivations seem to be as varied as those of the Humans.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    They all look vaguely humanoid; one even sounds like they are essentially space dwarves.

Disappointing, but by no means a deal breaker. I'll probably go with ol' Vanilla and play Human. Space Marine it up.

488W936.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    And it's up and running.

Or so I hear.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    They all look vaguely humanoid; one even sounds like they are essentially space dwarves.

Disappointing, but by no means a deal breaker. I'll probably go with ol' Vanilla and play Human. Space Marine it up.

I would play space dwarves and their love of space gold.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    - What is the game's financial model?

Wondering about that myself. Could have sworn I heard F2P somewhere, but no mention of it now. So I dunno. It does have an in-game store though.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    - What is the game's financial model?

Wondering about that myself. Could have sworn I heard F2P somewhere, but no mention of it now. So I dunno. It does have an in-game store though.

It might be getting some funding from sci-fi as a tool to bring in viewers.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I signed up for beta today; gonna give the game a good shake. Discovered this in the beta signup form:

kdAiTFT.jpg

I wonder how that will work/how well that will work/omgerd controllers.

They also appear to be doing advanced betas in waves before some kind of open beta. No indication on a release date or any financial model stuff. I think they might still be figuring this stuff out. Beta AB 1 is live now and on for 2 days. (Jan 18-20th)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's B2P with DLC from the looks of it. Pre-orders are up. Release date of April 2013.

http://defiance.com/en/pre-order/

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    It's B2P with DLC from the looks of it. Pre-orders are up. Release date of April 2013.

http://defiance.com/en/pre-order/

Excellent. My favorite of the models.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, then I'm definitely in. I like what I've seen so far.

Now show me how the preorder stuff looks so I can decide how much money to throw at my screen!

Echo on
  • Options
    Can I buy it on Steam?

488W936.png
  • Options
    Right now Trion is the only listed retailer.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Whoa... this actually looks interesting. Not a huge fan of PlanetSide 2 now that I've put some time into it, but this looks really good.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Any information on what "bits" are? The ultimate pack (the Gamestop exclusive that costs $150) says it comes with 1200 of them.
    I'm guessing this is some kind of cash shop currency, since it looks like "scrip" will be the standard in game currency from the pre order bonus information.

• Options
    Yeah, bits are the funbucks and scrip is in-game moneys.

• Options
    Next beta is Feb 8th 8am PST-10th 9pm PST

https://defiance.com/en/beta/

As far as I know anyone that was in the previous beta is in this one. The page will pretty much tell you after you are logged in.

There is also this: http://defiance.com/en/my-ego/

People have been working together to find the codes hidden throughout Defiance related media/websites/ads/etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0As_TOhvr5TT-dE5DQVBXQmF6eXh6bW1xeno3Y0FOS2c&toomany=true

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    There's a stress test tonight, but I'm not going to bother with that.

• Options
    ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I have been in every beta test so far, and i honestly have really been enjoying what they have released. The weapon system is very fun the random events are pretty cool. They operate similarly to how Rift did them (go figure)

You also get a kick ass four wheeler that you can summon (it has freaking rocket boosters?!)

During the last beta phase i completed every piece of content i could. Which was quite a bit, then i just farmed for a while.

Pros:
    Graphics are pretty fantastic
    Combat is fast and easy
    Sniper rifles are awesome
    Weapons have random effects like Borderlands 2 (i got this shot gun that vaporizes things into purple mist)
    When you use weapons you increase your affinity with that weapon type which grants bonuses. extra dmg etc.
    Neat quests, you actually feel like you need to get that damn radio station turned back on
    There are different sized "events" that randomly happen in the world. From kill one node to kill 5 then the huge crazy mother bug spawns.
    Weapon customization is neat. You can add a scope for +range/+damage, magazine for more ammo per clip etc. Its not exactly revolutionary but its nice they included it.

Cons:
    Well its Beta so there isnt a ton of content yet
    The UI can be pretty frustrating to be honest (hopefully they take the user feedback and work on it)
    The talent/skill tree, can be laid out a little bit better
    It could use a few more weapon types. From what ive seen (Pistol, Pump Shotgun, Auto Shotgun, Automatic Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Grenades (fire, stun, gas) im sure there are more
    Its related to a TV show /shiver

But in summation. I have had some fun with it so far.

ghostbandit on
    stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Options
    There's also an NDA.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    I am aware.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, I really enjoyed Rift. Sure, it was a very formulaic WoW-clone, but it was a competent WoW-clone. I'd still play Rift if I had anyone to play with.

A bunch of us play with the SA Goons on Deepwood. There's a thread here in the MMOE forum. Come join us. There's always people on.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I've been thinking about getting this, can anyone describe how weapons work in this game? I.E. how shooting them feels and HP interacts with it? That will really be what makes it or breaks it for me.

It doesn't look like it works like in Secret World, but that was not fun for me.

Is it more like the first planetside?

Retaba on
  • Options
    Gunplay feels pretty much like a third-person Borderlands.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Ah ok, that is well within my interests. Thanks.

Also, you can pre-order on Steam now. Is there any benefit to pre-ordering from stores?

I see gamestop and amazon get their own weapon. Bestbuy doesn't show it on their site though.
    Also origin is just eh. Steam seems like the best deal with the possibility of those tiers.

Retaba on
  • Options
    I doubt the preorder weapons will be anything stellar in the long run. Might be a good starter weapon at the most.

And I didn't know it will be on Steam too. Bonus!

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Did someone delete the code spreadsheet, or did the owner just get rather possessive?

dporowski on
  • Options
    Figured out what you meant, no here it is http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes

For anyone not knowing, you can find codes spread across things, enter them into your account/ego at the defiance website for some extra in-game stuff.

• Options
    Seems I missed this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPy1Otda4O8

• Options
    edited March 2013
    This is the deluxe edition preorder armor.

As far as I can tell, your outfit is purely cosmetic.

infiltrator.png

edit: and the standard edition preorder armor.

outlander.png

Echo on
  • Options
    The deluxe armor isn't grabbing me. Eh.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Figured out what you meant, no here it is http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes

For anyone not knowing, you can find codes spread across things, enter them into your account/ego at the defiance website for some extra in-game stuff.

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    Seems that one of the playable alien species will be DLC. I'm hoping available at launch, because I hate having to reroll.
    Join the fight and save big on 5 DLC packs with the Defiance Season Pass. Enjoy a new playable alien species, new weapons and vehicles, missions, and rewards – plus a bonus Hellbug Combat Cap and Lock Box – a 20% savings!* This is the ultimate package for the true Ark Hunter!

• Options
    Didn't someone mention it starts with humans and some raced that started with an i ?

I'll probably just stick with humans. I like humans.

But yeah DLC races seem like kind of a bad idea.

• Options
    Yeah, humans and Irathients.

Don't know what to think of DLC races, but it is a subscription-less MMO.

And as far as I know the race choice is purely cosmetic.

• Options
    Well, it'll depend on if there is a reason to have more than one character. If there isn't, DLC races probably won't be something I'll be interested in.

I think I heard that in the show there are 5 alien races.

• Options
    The devs are streaming stuff.

http://www.twitch.tv/TrionWorlds/new

• Options
    Is it over? Nothing is going on.

Sigh!

• Options
    They ended it early, trouble with the stream.

One thing they did confirm is that you can select a region to play on, , i.e. US or EU. Didn't quite understand if they also meant that you could move your character between them or not.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Not that i'd ever give up a shooty weapon, but are there swords/axes/etc ingame?

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Next beta is March 22nd-24th.