As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Average Age?

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
What was the average age of most attendees?

My wife and I are thinking about going next year, but I don't want to feel like an old fogey compared to everyone else (I'm 30). :(

It's ironic in someways ... when you are young you don't have the cash to do all the super geeky things you've always wanted to do, when you're old and have lots of money people tell you to "act your age" if you DO do the super geeky things you've wanted to do.

Bamelin on

• HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    18-45

Highfire on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A nugget and a biscuit.

Officer on
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:
    18-45
    I saw a 7 and 10 year old there, dragging their mother along behind them. She spoke to me briefly about how her sons lied to her in order to get into the Con, because they both loved games that much.

I hope if I ever have children they're that cool.

Waz on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    Highfire wrote:
    18-45
    I saw a 7 and 10 year old there, dragging their mother along behind them. She spoke to me briefly about how her sons lied to her in order to get into the Con, because they both loved games that much.

I hope if I ever have children they're that cool.
    There was a kid there that fragged two guys at once in a GRAW match.

He then yelled out "YOU GUYS GOT RAPED!!!"

I'm not sure if he's really 10, or if he's pulling a Gary Coleman.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I say you should go. I'm 31 and I've had a blast at all the PAXs. Gabe & Tycho are around our age, so it has to be OK. ;)

But I won't lie... you'll definitely be older than most... and you'll notice it. But it just doesn't seem to be an issue for the most part, as long as you haven't forgotten what you were like at 15 or 20. And I'm not suggesting you have to "forgive" the adolescents. The vast majority of PAX attendees are quite mature despite their age.

I completely hear you on that last bit. Last night, after a few beers with friends, I felt like playing Guitar Hero so we walked over to the game store and picked up a PS2, Guitar Hero and one of those V shaped wireless guitars. $300. We had a blast all night! It's nice to be fortunate enough to afford that behavior and have friends who want to play as much as you do.

DJBreslin on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    I'm 23 and I should say that there are youngers and elders at PAX, but I felt like I fit right in with everybody there regardless of age. Plus if you hit the after hours hotel parties, the great majority is 21+ (unless thier canadian and their 19+, but don't tell anybody).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    I'm 23 and I should say that there are youngers and elders at PAX, but I felt like I fit right in with everybody there regardless of age. Plus if you hit the after hours hotel parties, the great majority is 21+ (unless thier canadian and their 19+, but don't tell anybody).

jailbait ftw

TomExMachina on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah us over 21 types tend to be the minority, but a well accepted and not at all out of place one. And next year I am so bringing my kids too, my 8 year old daughter wants to see if theres a Soul Calibur tourney again next year so she can join.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It always bugs me when I see little kids around, especially when we're throwing around words like fuckface, cockthirsty, and shitsucker at a pretty high volume over friendly Mario Kart games. I guess if the kids are allowed to read PA, they'll be fine, though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm on the dark side of 25, and didn't find a problem at all.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As someone in my 30s, I can attest to the good fun to be had.

etoychest on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Raiden333 wrote:
    It always bugs me when I see little kids around, especially when we're throwing around words like fuckface, cockthirsty, and shitsucker at a pretty high volume over friendly Mario Kart games. I guess if the kids are allowed to read PA, they'll be fine, though.

Don't forget Meatstick.

Highfire on
  • Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Did the vibe change at PAX as teh hours waxed late into the night?

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
    edited September 2006

Personally, I didn't notice too much of a change as the hours disappeared. The only thing I noticed was less people, ages never registered. As far as I could see, all I saw were awesome PAX-goers, ageless, timeless, and with whom I knew would have many awesome things to say and do.

Officer on
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Raiden333 wrote:

Yeah. I wouldn't exactly call PAX a child-friendly environment, but most people who see a young'in tend to clean up their acts a little just out of politeness. In the end, as long as I don't have to look after them, I could care less.

Waz on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    We're twenty something, with nothing to loooooooosssseeeee...

Yeah, it was cool. I couldn't care less about age. I mean sure, it's creepy (and I heard a lot of stories) about the under-age girls getting hit on by guys a decade+ their senior. But there's creeps regardless of age, but I've had 9yr old girls in my cs clan before, and as long as you can pwnzor some bitches with the rest of us, you're more than welcome to join in whatever game we're playing.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited September 2006
    The average PAX attendee is a 26 year old male.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited September 2006

Calculated it his head, he did. From all the data they accumulated... with the... age registration... thing...

Officer on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:

Calculated it his head, he did. From all the data they accumulated... with the... age registration... thing...

Either that or he used his own age. :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:

Personally, I didn't notice too much of a change as the hours disappeared. The only thing I noticed was less people, ages never registered. As far as I could see, all I saw were awesome PAX-goers, ageless, timeless, and with whom I knew would have many awesome things to say and do.

Oh you sly dog you.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited September 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Recruit wrote:

Triiiiiicky. I'll play your game, you rogue.

Officer on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Recruit wrote:

Triiiiiicky. I'll play your game, you rogue.

Get on AIM you harlot!

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Cool thanks.

Bamelin on
  • gates_apcogates_apco Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    30 is not old anymore. I did not feel old or out of place at anytime at PAX. I'm 30 and a woman to boot. And Canadian as my last comment made glaringly clear.

Anyway, I found no issue with age at PAX. There didn't seem to be a generation gap due to the fact that everyone was on the same page. Gamer geeks aren't we all.

I'm not speaking from experience though. PAX'06 was my very first Con and it was a great one.

gates_apco on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    22 here. i would guess the average age at about 20 though. plentya teens, quite a few older guys (though they mostly kept to the table top areas!). 20 sounds about right.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think it depended partially on what activities you were involved in, as well as the kinds of people you ended up spending time with. Late night board gaming on Saturday seemed to have a lot more adults than late teens, maybe because a larger portion of the younger crowd were taking advantage of the party scene.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

My wife and I are thinking about going next year, but I don't want to feel like an old fogey compared to everyone else (I'm 30). :(

It's ironic in someways ... when you are young you don't have the cash to do all the super geeky things you've always wanted to do, when you're old and have lots of money people tell you to "act your age" if you DO do the super geeky things you've wanted to do.

Dude,

I'm 36 and I had a damn good time.

The only thing that really showed my age was my unwillingness to take the stairs and opt for waiting ten minutes for the elevator.

Pkmoutl on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

Dude,

I'm 36 and I had a damn good time.

The only thing that really showed my age was my unwillingness to take the stairs and opt for waiting ten minutes for the elevator.

And your walker.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
This discussion has been closed.