As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Webpage Editors for Newbies

SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous PastimeRegistered User regular
My wife is interested in taking over a spot on our local neighborhood association, however part of the job involved editing the webpage for the association.

She is not a computer programmer, and so I am wondering what the currently most useful tools for webpage editing are. As far as I can tell the webpage is fairly standard. (It's not a wordpress site or anything.)

• Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    Assuming they don't have a CMS, a text editor like Notepad++ should do the trick. She will probably have to learn some basic HTML and maybe CSS, but to just keep a website updated, that's not much harder than learning forum markup.

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Notepad is fine if "updating website" means just changing text here and there or fixing/adding links, but anything more than that and you'll need to learn HTML and/or CSS.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Doing it by editing HTML or CSS is what I would do if I ever tried working with a webpage (last time I messed with that was 10 years ago.) I was just wondering if there were some WYSIWYG type editor or something. (Well, a free one.)

• Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    I've never used it, but I believe KompoZer was developed exclusively for this purpose:

www.kompozer.net

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Doing it by editing HTML or CSS is what I would do if I ever tried working with a webpage (last time I messed with that was 10 years ago.) I was just wondering if there were some WYSIWYG type editor or something. (Well, a free one.)

The problem you're going to run into is when something like a header link has to be changed. You'll have to change that on every single page, rather than just changing a template file. If I was in the same situation my first step would be to migrate the entire webpage over to a proper CMS. Even if you do know what you're doing, it's so much easier and faster.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

The problem you're going to run into is when something like a header link has to be changed. You'll have to change that on every single page, rather than just changing a template file. If I was in the same situation my first step would be to migrate the entire webpage over to a proper CMS. Even if you do know what you're doing, it's so much easier and faster.

Real men write their own, when they know what they're doing!

But yeah, notepad will be fine. WYISWYG Editors are notoriously bad.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Notepad++ is stellar, I will echo it for good measure.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Real men write their own, when they know what they're doing!

But yeah, notepad will be fine. WYISWYG Editors are notoriously bad.

This isn't about WYSIWYG editing. Figgy is so, so right. If you're doing any sort of regular updates on a large website, you want a CMS in place so badly. Need something changed in a footer? So much better to make a change to that resource item, rather than having to manually change every single page.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Also echoing Notepad++

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Ok this is pretty much what I needed to know. My wife will have to learn some basic html or css to take over the maintenance of a website.

Thanks y'all.