As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help me make my computer headset work

Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
I'm trying to record audio onto my computer, trouble is the built in microphone is quite awful and produces a loud buzzing noise in the background of any recording.

I have a headset which I have used in the past for gaming that I'm trying to use again to record audio instead of the built in laptop mic, but CamStudio and/or my laptop are not recognizing it.

I've tried googling and it just brings me in an endless loop of things that don't help.

FWIW - I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520 running Windows 7. The laptop appears to recognize when I plug the microphone jack in - when I view my mic devices it'll pop up as line in, but it doesn't register sound (levels don't rise when I tap it) and CamStudio will just record silence. I've checked and the mute button on the headset itself is not engaged.

Any ideas?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    When it pops up as line in, does it offer you a menu? If it does, look for an actual "mic" option

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Not that I can see. Here is what I'm looking at -

yUatYH2.jpg

the "Microphone" is the built in mic and the levels will spike when I make noise.
    The line in below appears when I plug the headset in, but nothing actually registers.

Ana Ng on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Nothing's muted, right? Not the mic on the headset (I have done this so many times even though I should know better) or the line-in volume in Windows or anything like that?

• Options
    double checked, the physical headset isn't muted and line in levels/vol aren't either :(