As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Border [Chat]

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    You used to be able to globally disable annotations but this feature either seems to not work or doesn't work on embedded videos.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    In a move that surprised no one, Marco Rubio says he's probably not going to vote to confirm Hagel before testimony begins. Why? Well, he just doesn't have Israel's best interests at heart. What's this United States you keep bringing up?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Dear Abby: About four months ago, the house across the street was sold to a "father and son" — or so we thought. We later learned it was an older man about 50 and a young fellow about 24. This was a respectable neighborhood before this "odd couple" moved in. They have all sorts of strange-looking company. Men who look like women, women who look like men, blacks, whites, Indians. Yesterday I even saw two nuns go in there!... Abby, these weirdos are wrecking our property values! How can we improve the quality of this once-respectable neighborhood? —Up In Arms
    Dear UP: You could move.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So when you thought nothing else could go wrong for out Board meeting on Friday..
    3w030fk.jpg
    Yep, some asshole breaks the TV.

Bless your heart.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You used to be able to globally disable annotations but this feature either seems to not work or doesn't work on embedded videos.

There are browser extensions for that.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Brave Fencer Musashi was a fantastic game.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Workstation periodically losing connection with the server

I just want to go to lunchhhh

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Brave Fencer Musashi was a fantastic game.
    i had the demo on one of the old Playstation Underground CD Maagazines and used to play it all the time.

Bless your heart.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    today in history we had one of those simple quizzes where it's like, the left side has five descriptions, the right side has >5 people/places/events. you just fill it in, and they give you a few more answers than you'll use to make it a tiny bit harder to just whittle it down by the process of elimination

the descriptions (paraphrased):

portuguese royal who sponsored lots of travel and trade with non-european entities
    fabled female warriors glorified in 16th century literature
    mystical lost land that sank into the sea
    a form of national expansion that leads to iniquity and subordinate classes
    muslim state that fell to ferdinand and isabella in 1492

the answers (they weren't in the right order on the quiz, obviously):

henry the navigator
    amazonians
    atlantis
    imperialism
    granada
    tenochtitlan

you'd be amazed how many people just totally fucked this up. i mean, the only one i can even begin to imagine messing up is not recognizing the word tenochtitlan and thinking maybe it's the name of a portuguese dude? but like... the chapter we read for homework (or were supposed to read!) was all about tenochtitlan. the word was used a dozen times. some people got imperialism wrong! how is that possible!

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Dear Abby: About four months ago, the house across the street was sold to a "father and son" — or so we thought. We later learned it was an older man about 50 and a young fellow about 24. This was a respectable neighborhood before this "odd couple" moved in. They have all sorts of strange-looking company. Men who look like women, women who look like men, blacks, whites, Indians. Yesterday I even saw two nuns go in there!... Abby, these weirdos are wrecking our property values! How can we improve the quality of this once-respectable neighborhood? —Up In Arms

This was posted before in chat but it's still fantastic

Also, didn't the original "Abby" die recently?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

This was posted before in chat but it's still fantastic

Also, didn't the original "Abby" die recently?

Last week I believe (Or the week beforE)

Bless your heart.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Henry the Navigator was the mystical lost land that sank into the sea, right?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Henry the Navigator was the mystical lost land that sank into the sea, right?

No, he's the jackass that makes all the fucking horse artillery.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    today in history we had one of those simple quizzes where it's like, the left side has five descriptions, the right side has >5 people/places/events. you just fill it in, and they give you a few more answers than you'll use to make it a tiny bit harder to just whittle it down by the process of elimination

portuguese royal who sponsored lots of travel and trade with non-european entities

henry the navigator
    amazonians
    atlantis
    imperialism
    granada
    tenochtitlan

you'd be amazed how many people just totally fucked this up. i mean, the only one i can even begin to imagine messing up is not recognizing the word tenochtitlan and thinking maybe it's the name of a portuguese dude? but like... the chapter we read for homework (or were supposed to read!) was all about tenochtitlan. the word was used a dozen times. some people got imperialism wrong! how is that possible!

Good. Goooooood.

You've taken the first step towards understanding the supposed phenomenon of "ivory tower elitism".

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also, when you have your background check interview and they ask you if you are in any secret societies

"The Dark Brotherhood" and/or "The Thieves Guild"

is not a funny joke to them.

Not at all.

not even a little.

Who the fuck asks if you're in a secret society?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    puppy bowl locker room livestream is basically the best thing on the internet ever

919UOwT.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Also, when you have your background check interview and they ask you if you are in any secret societies

Not at all.

not even a little.

yeah it's like they don't understand the meaning of the word "secret"

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    imperialism? isn't that feet and inches

edited January 2013
    Leave it blank and give them the secret Dark Brotherhood handshake (A shiv between the ribs)

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Not at all.

not even a little.

The Computer

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    puppy bowl locker room livestream is basically the best thing on the internet ever
    Oh my god... so adorable.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Not at all.

not even a little.

Friend Computer

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this girl is busy

or doesn't want the D

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

My one game of Paranoia, I was the only member of the group not in a secret society, so I was the dopey naive guy that everyone used in their schemes.

Thanatos wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Oh my god... so adorable.
    That white puppy is ferocious.

Bless your heart.
    Will proceed under operating assumption that she wants the D

awwwww those puppies want to play with a person so bad

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Not at all.

not even a little.

Friend Computer

He doesn't bother asking us Infrareds

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So how does the puppy bowl work? Are the dogs well trained and actually doing something resembling a competition? Or is it just adorable puppies frolicking for a couple hours? (Not that I would complain :D)

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    obama_haiti.jpg

DEAR LEADER OBAMA

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    My one game of Paranoia, I was the only member of the group not in a secret society, so I was the dopey naive guy that everyone used in their schemes.

Pretty sure one of the best things was there was this annual paranoia larp which was really just a nerdy paranoia themed scavenger hunt at a convention. Anyway, my team had to go get a bunch of people at the convention to sign these petitions, probably something dumb like banning dihydrogen monoxide, and one of the guys that we got to sign it I think knew the guy running it and gave him the heads up that he had signed our petition as Commie M. Traitor.

Upon returning the signature sheets he glanced over it, chuckled, and we were promptly all down a clone

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    So how does the puppy bowl work? Are the dogs well trained and actually doing something resembling a competition? Or is it just adorable puppies frolicking for a couple hours? (Not that I would complain :D)

Specifically, puppies for a bit, then halftime with kittens, then more puppies for the second half

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So when you thought nothing else could go wrong for out Board meeting on Friday..
    3w030fk.jpg

I just got called into the Commissioner's meeting because Emergency! The laptop isn't displaying anything anymoreeee!

Its battery was dead... some bright spark had plugged the extension cord into itself.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    they are very well-trained

and the competition is fierce

to see who can be the cutest puppy

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    3w030fk.jpg

I just got called into the Commissioner's meeting because Emergency! The laptop isn't displaying anything anymoreeee!

Its battery was dead... some bright spark had plugged the extension cord into itself.

Maybe they thought they had invented infinite energy?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    TehSloth wrote: »

Pretty sure one of the best things was there was this annual paranoia larp which was really just a nerdy paranoia themed scavenger hunt at a convention. Anyway, my team had to go get a bunch of people at the convention to sign these petitions, probably something dumb like banning dihydrogen monoxide, and one of the guys that we got to sign it I think knew the guy running it and gave him the heads up that he had signed our petition as Commie M. Traitor.

Upon returning the signature sheets he glanced over it, chuckled, and we were promptly all down a clone

My character's role was the quartermaster or something, I could call mandatory equipment checks whenever I wanted.

The game's not focused on combat, of course, but we had a few brief firefights and I spent the game wishing I could call an equipment check during one of the firefights. Alas, not in character for my totally loyal dope. :(

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

henry the navigator
    amazonians
    atlantis
    imperialism
    granada
    tenochtitlan

I've actually never heard of Henry the Navigator...

But, uh, I still would have gotten it right by guessing because "Henry the Navigator" sounds like it fits.

How someone can be an adult and not know that Granada is in modern Spain, and what imperialism is boggles the mind.

And if you don't know what Atlantis and Amazons were, there is probably no hope for you whatsoever.

As far as Tenochtitlan goes, we get some Mexican history in California public schools but I'm guessing that's not true of everywhere, and you can always count on people to have not read the assigned reading.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    3w030fk.jpg

turns out they invented infinite embarrassment - the person who did it was taking notes in the meeting.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    female warriors -> imperialism

FUCKING MATRIARCHY

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    3w030fk.jpg

At least they didn't try to invent infinite internet by plugging a switch into itself.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.