As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

CorehealerCorehealer The ApothecaryThe softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
670px-0,1920,0,1098-Endless_Space_Keyart.jpg

Civ V in Space with dancing single celled organisms!
amoeba-adventurer.jpg

Discuss!

488W936.png

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh woops @jacobkosh I didn't wait long enough

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    PA blew up as I was trying to post.

Kevin Spacey hasn't stopped working, he just stopped doing Hollywood. He did a tour for more than a year doing Henry 8.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I like that both chats are futuristic strategy games.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Optimal distribution

Suppose one makes the approximation that the utility is a weighted sum of the bonuses of the stats. Let v be the weighting of a particular stat. The marginal benefit of spending one more Token in that stat is then proportional to vx-0.25 where x is the number of Tokens one has spent in that stat and v is the valuation of a 1% bonus in that stat. For an optimal distribution, this should be constant across all stats, which means that x should be proportional to v4, or equivalently, the bonus in each stat should be proportional to v3. For example, if one values one stat twice as much as another, one should spend sixteen times as many Badass Tokens on that stat, gaining eight times the bonus.

Uh, okay

sure

I like big guns and putting holes in midgets

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I saw an article I loved today regarding weight loss in the New England Journal of Medicine. Actually, every news outlet ever is writing it up now that I'm trying to find it again.

A group of scientists went out and busted 7 different myths about weight loss and questioned a bunch of others. even if this debunking is its self debunked in a few years, I don't care. They found the answers I've always suspected are true:

1.) Myth: Make a tiny lifestyle change like skipping 100 calories a day and you'll lose weight over a long period.
    Finding: Bullshit. Small calorie deficits over time do almost nothing and are impossible to commit to.

2.) Myth: Set realistic weight loss goals so you're not setting yourself up for failure.
    Finding: Nope! Aggressive goals are at least as effective, sometimes studies show they're more effective.

3.) Myth: Lose weight slowly so you can keep it off
    Finding: GET OUT OF HERE OPRAH. People who lose weight gradually and quickly have the same success rate keeping it off.

4.) Myth: You'll only be able to lose weight when you're mentally ready to commit
    Finding: Obviously you have to be in a certain place mentally to even try, but aside from that, how ready people claim they are to lose weight has no influence on their success

5.) Myth: Gym class gets kids moving and lowers rates of childhood obesity
    Finding: Oddly enough, a study of schools with varying levels of phys-ed shows no correlation to obesity.

6.) Myth: Breast feeding prevents obesity later in life
    Finding: It doesn't. I didn't even know this was a myth.

7.) Myth: Having sex is a good workout.
    Finding: It's a terrible workout that burns about 50 calories, though obviously this will vary with how freaky you are and who is doing what.

Additional pot shot they took: Eating breakfast helps some people, but isn't proven make you lose weight, nor is it a shown to reduce caloric intake later in the day.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    oh woops jacobkosh I didn't wait long enough

too fast on controls

too much apm

too much gosu

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I wish I still had a subscription to NEJM. :(

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Kruite wrote: »

Kevin Spacey hasn't stopped working, he just stopped doing Hollywood. He did a tour for more than a year doing Henry 8.

This. He was also in a revival of Speed-the-Plow in London that I would have headbutted a baby to be able to see.

rRwz9.gif
    2.) Myth: Set realistic weight loss goals so you're not setting yourself up for failure.
    Finding: Nope! Aggressive goals are at least as effective, sometimes studies show they're more effective.

3.) Myth: Lose weight slowly so you can keep it off
    Finding: GET OUT OF HERE OPRAH. People who lose weight gradually and quickly have the same success rate keeping it off.

I'd like to see their citations for these.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

I considered a few things but as this is my first [chat] thread I wasn't sure what time limit there was if any so I just threw up the first thing that came to mind.

I expect I'll come up with something more wow worthy next time.

As it is, ES is a great game. Slick graphics and UI, interesting plot, deep strategy and mod-ability, as well as a nice soundtrack and interesting combat system with Battlestar Galactica style fleet engagements based on a card system.

It's lacking in character compared to something like GalCiv in that it feels quite dry at times and clerical but I still recommend it.

488W936.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I like how relaxed people are with money here. We had a guest lecturer today that owns one of the biggest investments firms in the country. Her wealth is about usd 400 million. She pulls up and walks in alone through the front door, says hi to us standing closest to the door and then strolls into the hall.

PSN: Honkalot
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

This. He was also in a revival of Speed-the-Plow in London that I would have headbutted a baby to be able to see.

Baby heads are soft. I don't see why head butting one would be a difficult choice.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    even if this debunking is its self debunked in a few years, I don't care. They found the answers I've always suspected are true

lol

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    even if this debunking is its self debunked in a few years, I don't care. They found the answers I've always suspected are true

lol

THIS IS MY RELATIONSHIP WITH SCIENCE

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I need to show that thing DK linked to my personal trainer. If nothing else he can quote it for when his other clients get uppity on diets.

488W936.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i have never had to lose weight in my life

919UOwT.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    jl9nS4f.jpg

inside this spoiler is something awful and I recommend none of you read it
    Deadmau5 drops the soap.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

How colourful.

i too have Opinions about weight loss but they're controversial :v

Your a credit to your avatar, chu.

488W936.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    What is the latest on the Cass/Choco situation?

Rad got the job at Lush which means we might get to go to Toronto which means Imma need their couch and walls.

rilly

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Eating ass is not nutritionally sound, Chu.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Not many people are satisfied with a 58 waist.

Gooey merely sees it as protection.

i bemoan the loss of PE in grade school not because i think it's allowing our children to be fat but because we need to teach our kids that life is not just about work

sometimes it is about throwing a nerf ball at your friends or doing that multicolored giant parachute thing

919UOwT.png
    Quid wrote: »
    Not many people are satisfied with a 58 waist.

Gooey merely sees it as protection.

more padding!

919UOwT.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    i bemoan the loss of PE in grade school not because i think it's allowing our children to be fat but because we need to teach our kids that life is not just about work

sometimes it is about throwing a nerf ball at your friends or doing that multicolored giant parachute thing

Someday the only people left playing kid sports will be hipsters.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    oh man my floor hockey team in 6th grade kicked ass

we only didn't beat the best 8th grade team. We tied them.

It was the only big group I've been in where captains were chosen and you had the run-down of teams being picked — normally teams were long established factions. I was picked second out of ~60 or so. Ego++

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Or learning how to develop a sixth sense as to when a basketball has made its way into your game of dodgeball.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think these pills I'm taking are making me anxious.

I feel rather unwell.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Nerds!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Mad Men is ok

I've never been able to get into it like my colleagues

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I always wonder about people who ride BMX and MTB who have sleeve tattoos.

Because several times in my life I have crashed while riding and gravel rashed the entire length of my forearm. It's usually healed OK but, like, will that screw up a tattoo? I don't know.

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

oh okay I agree with all of that

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh dip, gotsta go get my Ambassador class. A type of ship I am fascinated by because we only saw it like twice in the whole 40 years of Star Trek, and never in great detail.

Lh96QHG.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    organichu can you be the pete campbell to my don draper

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

rilly

hating on fad diets is the exact opposite of "anti-science" chu'. Fad diets are themselves anti-science.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Rent wrote: »
    organichu can you be the pete campbell to my don draper

from my recollection of season 1, i... am not comfortable with this dynamic

This discussion has been closed.