As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    i too have Opinions about weight loss but they're controversial :v

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

This seems entirely reasonable.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

I am reading a book by an endocrinologist that argues against that idea. He is arguing that a sharp increase in natural fiber from food (not from processed foods, supplements, or store-bought bread), sharp decrease in fructose consumption, and moderate exercise, will pay off.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    my pe teacher in 5th grade was awesome

he taught us how to play rugby and how to juggle

he answered the difficult questions in sex ed (which im sure is super, duper awkward.)

he also taught me how to highjump which i did through high school

919UOwT.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Rent wrote: »
    organichu can you be the pete campbell to my don draper

from my recollection of season 1, i... am not comfortable with this dynamic

just for that i've demoted you to harry crane

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't know if you can be "anti science reactionary" with regards to skepticism about fad diets, given that fad diets are almost always based in ludicrous understandings of dietary science.

Lh96QHG.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    oop, there's a gun story on Drudge! A Texas district attorney shot multiple times in front of a courthouse. Interesting.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I built out a new Intranet site using taxonomy.

Every page and file is tagged with an office location and a department. Every employee is assigned a primary office and a department.

If you are in Sales in Dallas, TX, and you log into the Intranet, the very first thing you will see is a list of files for Salespeople in Dallas. (This includes any files that do not specify a state or department.)

If you want to see the files associated with another department, there's a menu on the left of all departments, states, and miscellaneous keywords (like 'benefits').

And there's a search bar in the upper right corner.

Our HR manager cannot. figure. this. out. She is just so confused by the whole concept and over the last few months has asked me the same basic questions over and over again.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Rent wrote: »
    organichu can you be the pete campbell to my don draper

I will, but only if I get to impregnate Trudy.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013

rilly

hating on fad diets is the exact opposite of "anti-science" chu'. Fad diets are themselves anti-science.

it's not the hating on fad diets that is the problem. stupid shit should be called stupid. it's the reactionary refusal to look at anything other than the current dominant mantra- which is, i think, in part a response to the wave of dumb fad diets. i think a healthy, intellectual perspective ought to critically look at whatever's presented and not just go "well look, some new stuff that's popular with soccer moms is dumb so let's just reiterate the exclusive primacy of what we've been saying so far". eventually- in 5 years or 50 or whatever- we will make some more useful breakthroughs in physiology and i don't want people to just go LALALA FUCK THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET I DON'T BUY THIS NEW BULLSHIT, without examining whatever comes. and that is what happens with a lot of internet weight loss commentators: it's just calories in and calories out, "anything else you hear is bullshit and doesn't matter", which strikes me as decidedly anti-science and anti-intellectual

Organichu on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Every page and file is tagged with an office location and a department. Every employee is assigned a primary office and a department.

If you are in Sales in Dallas, TX, and you log into the Intranet, the very first thing you will see is a list of files for Salespeople in Dallas. (This includes any files that do not specify a state or department.)

If you want to see the files associated with another department, there's a menu on the left of all departments, states, and miscellaneous keywords (like 'benefits').

Our HR manager cannot. figure. this. out. She is just so confused by the whole concept and over the last few months has asked me the same basic questions over and over again.

Should've done more UX testing dawg. Not enough card sorting.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth

Oh my god I want someone to do this to our intranet.

But it is a battleground of petty fiefdoms over which "content owners" hold sway and it is impossible to find, verify or update anything.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    "It's just calories in and calories out" seems to be pretty wrong on all sorts of levels.

100 calories of sugar is not going to be handled the same way by your body as 100 calories of protein.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I don't know if you can be "anti science reactionary" with regards to skepticism about fad diets, given that fad diets are almost always based in ludicrous understandings of dietary science.

umm this article on paleo diets says otherwise

919UOwT.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

umm this article on paleo diets says otherwise

*drops donut monocle

Lh96QHG.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

rilly

hating on fad diets is the exact opposite of "anti-science" chu'. Fad diets are themselves anti-science.

it's not the hating on fad diets that is the problem. stupid shit should be called stupid. it's the reactionary refusal to look at anything other than the current dominant mantra- which is, i think, in part a response to the wave of dumb fad diets. i think a healthy, intellectual perspective ought to critically look at whatever's presented and not just go "well look, some new stuff that's popular with soccer moms is dumb so let's just reiterate the exclusive primacy of what we've been saying so far". eventually- in 5 years or 50 or whatever- we will make some more useful breakthroughs in physiology and i don't want people to just go LALALA FUCK THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET I DON'T BUY THIS NEW BULLSHIT, without examining whatever comes. and that is what happens with a lot of internet weight loss commentators: it's just calories in and calories out, "anything else you hear is bullshit and doesn't matter", which strikes me as decidedly anti-science and anti-intellectual

It is the burden of the wackadoodles (because it's almost never actually scientists, but money hungry failures looking to cash in) to make a strong positive case that their fad diet has a real effect above and beyond a placebo.

The default reaction should be disbelief until such a strong positive scientific case is made.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i have never had to lose weight in my life

fuck you

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Should've done more UX testing dawg. Not enough card sorting.

I did a little bit of informal UX testing before launch and incorporated feedback from management.

She was just as confused then and I worked with her on it and she seemed to get it, so I launched, and then she came back to me with exactly the same questions.

I should have quizzed her or something.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

rilly

I basically work of the assumption that anything that The Daily Mail has run a feature on is probably nonsense. All else considered.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mmm.

Donucle.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Just watched Paperman. That is one of the most touching and beautiful short films I have ever seen.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

he answered the difficult questions in sex ed (which im sure is super, duper awkward.)

When I read you saying this

I thought pe = private equity teacher

PSN: Honkalot
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Is the grapefruit diet the diet where you eat grapefruit because they are fucking delicious? Cause I am totally on that diet then.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Just watched Paperman. That is one of the most touching and beautiful short films I have ever seen.

This

PSN: Honkalot
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Yep, still no response from the girl that asked me out.

A new way to be let down in the world of dating!

I set new records every day GET ON MY LEVEL

Psn:wazukki
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

rilly

It is the burden of the wackadoodles (because it's almost never actually scientists, but money hungry failures looking to cash in) to make a strong positive case that their fad diet has a real effect above and beyond a placebo.

The default reaction should be disbelief until such a strong positive scientific case is made.

He's saying disbelief without consideration is pointless, as there is no basis for disbelief when you haven't learned anything beyond it being a fad diet.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

Well, yes. Five year olds need to learn finance, the sooner you start your retirement portfolio the better.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    got dragged for drinks with some nerds I didn't know last night

one of them insisted on doing that whole "why is there sports on it's fucking stupid oh look he kicked the ball yay we should be happy" thing

christ I fucking hate when people do that

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    "It's just calories in and calories out" seems to be pretty wrong on all sorts of levels.

100 calories of sugar is not going to be handled the same way by your body as 100 calories of protein.

Different people are different and digestion is a complex process but pains have gone into assigning the calorie values to compensate for that. That's the ultimate goal of the calorie content metric.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    learning about labor laws in the us

white peopleeeee

*raises black fist in solidarity*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

rilly

I would agree that some people are dickbagglers about new diets. But I would not agree that fad diets, as they constantly exist in our world, should be greeted with anything other than a massive amount of "seriously?"

If your diet idea can be boiled down to a certain kind of food, it's probably nonsense.

Lh96QHG.png

rilly

the current wave of people i see on message boards and blogs discussing this topic do not seem like they would be affected by a 'strong positive scientific case'. it is scientific exceptionalism: this theory is right because it's what's popular when i was 25 and learning about the topic.

i'm not saying that we should fund studies on the grapefruit diet or the cabbage diet or the apple-cider-vinegar-and-then-throw-up-and-then-shit-and-then-throw-up-on-your-shit-and-mix-it-with-vinegar-and-enema-it diet, but if a meaningful, well supported idea was proposed right now there are a bunch of people who wouldn't give it a listen because it's not their thing, this idea they've argued for and gotten used to.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    quid

where is the milkman, quid?

why are you chanus

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Britfolk: Charlie Brooker on BBC2 in a few minutes!

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I remember basketball in middle school. Space clearing around me when I would go for a rebound because I was unafraid to use my elbows. Also I was the kid in my grade who hit puberty early.

SARKSUS!

you back dude?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    learning about labor laws in the us

white peopleeeee

*raises black fist in solidarity*

solidarity with white people, I would assume.

Psn:wazukki
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    SARKSUS!

you back dude?

Maybe. I will probably not post as much as I did before.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

nonsense, SKFM would never take a job paying less than half a million a year

rilly

the current wave of people i see on message boards and blogs discussing this topic do not seem like they would be affected by a 'strong positive scientific case'. it is scientific exceptionalism: this theory is right because it's what's popular when i was 25 and learning about the topic.

i'm not saying that we should fund studies on the grapefruit diet or the cabbage diet or the apple-cider-vinegar-and-then-throw-up-and-then-shit-and-then-throw-up-on-your-shit-and-mix-it-with-vinegar-and-enema-it diet, but if a meaningful, well supported idea was proposed right now there are a bunch of people who wouldn't give it a listen because it's not their thing, this idea they've argued for and gotten used to.

and those people would be absolutely 100% correct

just having an anecdotal effect on weight loss isn't enough. you need well designed studies showing how it differs from a placebo or there should be no reason for anyone in the public to even give you the time of day.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited January 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

rilly

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

i'm saying that if a 350 lb dude eats 1,300 calories a day instead of 1,800, his body won't be convinced he's starving and shut down all weight loss.

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.