As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    i too have Opinions about weight loss but they're controversial :v

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

hating on fad diets is the exact opposite of "anti-science" chu'. Fad diets are themselves anti-science.

it's not the hating on fad diets that is the problem. stupid shit should be called stupid. it's the reactionary refusal to look at anything other than the current dominant mantra- which is, i think, in part a response to the wave of dumb fad diets. i think a healthy, intellectual perspective ought to critically look at whatever's presented and not just go "well look, some new stuff that's popular with soccer moms is dumb so let's just reiterate the exclusive primacy of what we've been saying so far". eventually- in 5 years or 50 or whatever- we will make some more useful breakthroughs in physiology and i don't want people to just go LALALA FUCK THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET I DON'T BUY THIS NEW BULLSHIT, without examining whatever comes. and that is what happens with a lot of internet weight loss commentators: it's just calories in and calories out, "anything else you hear is bullshit and doesn't matter", which strikes me as decidedly anti-science and anti-intellectual

It is the burden of the wackadoodles (because it's almost never actually scientists, but money hungry failures looking to cash in) to make a strong positive case that their fad diet has a real effect above and beyond a placebo.

The default reaction should be disbelief until such a strong positive scientific case is made.

the current wave of people i see on message boards and blogs discussing this topic do not seem like they would be affected by a 'strong positive scientific case'. it is scientific exceptionalism: this theory is right because it's what's popular when i was 25 and learning about the topic.

i'm not saying that we should fund studies on the grapefruit diet or the cabbage diet or the apple-cider-vinegar-and-then-throw-up-and-then-shit-and-then-throw-up-on-your-shit-and-mix-it-with-vinegar-and-enema-it diet, but if a meaningful, well supported idea was proposed right now there are a bunch of people who wouldn't give it a listen because it's not their thing, this idea they've argued for and gotten used to.

It is my scientific opinion that this diet would probably be quite effective. Maybe too effective.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

i'm saying that if a 350 lb dude eats 1,300 calories a day instead of 1,800, his body won't be convinced he's starving and shut down all weight loss.

legitimate diets

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    quid

where is the milkman, quid?

why are you chanus

Milkman Dan avatar is on my PC.

My PC is still being shipped to Maryland with the rest of our stuff.

So until then, Chanus is my doppelgänger. Until I pick another avatar.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

rilly

hating on fad diets is the exact opposite of "anti-science" chu'. Fad diets are themselves anti-science.

it's not the hating on fad diets that is the problem. stupid shit should be called stupid. it's the reactionary refusal to look at anything other than the current dominant mantra- which is, i think, in part a response to the wave of dumb fad diets. i think a healthy, intellectual perspective ought to critically look at whatever's presented and not just go "well look, some new stuff that's popular with soccer moms is dumb so let's just reiterate the exclusive primacy of what we've been saying so far". eventually- in 5 years or 50 or whatever- we will make some more useful breakthroughs in physiology and i don't want people to just go LALALA FUCK THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET I DON'T BUY THIS NEW BULLSHIT, without examining whatever comes. and that is what happens with a lot of internet weight loss commentators: it's just calories in and calories out, "anything else you hear is bullshit and doesn't matter", which strikes me as decidedly anti-science and anti-intellectual

It is the burden of the wackadoodles (because it's almost never actually scientists, but money hungry failures looking to cash in) to make a strong positive case that their fad diet has a real effect above and beyond a placebo.

The default reaction should be disbelief until such a strong positive scientific case is made.

the current wave of people i see on message boards and blogs discussing this topic do not seem like they would be affected by a 'strong positive scientific case'. it is scientific exceptionalism: this theory is right because it's what's popular when i was 25 and learning about the topic.

i'm not saying that we should fund studies on the grapefruit diet or the cabbage diet or the apple-cider-vinegar-and-then-throw-up-and-then-shit-and-then-throw-up-on-your-shit-and-mix-it-with-vinegar-and-enema-it diet, but if a meaningful, well supported idea was proposed right now there are a bunch of people who wouldn't give it a listen because it's not their thing, this idea they've argued for and gotten used to.

and those people would be absolutely 100% correct

just having an anecdotal effect on weight loss isn't enough. you need well designed studies showing how it differs from a placebo or there should be no reason for anyone in the public to even give you the time of day.

didn't i just say well supported

i'm confused by what you're responding to

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am taking back my awesome, you changed it, you butt.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Oh my god I want someone to do this to our intranet.

But it is a battleground of petty fiefdoms over which "content owners" hold sway and it is impossible to find, verify or update anything.

the majority of my job is owning our intranet

oh god why

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

rilly

just having an anecdotal effect on weight loss isn't enough. you need well designed studies showing how it differs from a placebo or there should be no reason for anyone in the public to even give you the time of day.

The fact that I have never once seen a fad diet with actually well supported evidense for it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

rilly

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

i'm saying that if a 350 lb dude eats 1,300 calories a day instead of 1,800, his body won't be convinced he's starving and shut down all weight loss.

legitimate diets

So one pound of weight loss comes from a 3500 calorie deficit, right?

What happens if that 350lb dude stays on the 1300 calorie a day diet for 350 weeks?

After 350 weeks, will he weigh zero pounds?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i bemoan the loss of PE in grade school not because i think it's allowing our children to be fat but because we need to teach our kids that life is not just about work

sometimes it is about throwing a nerf ball at your friends or doing that multicolored giant parachute thing

You must have had different PE classes than me.

Mine were about ridiculing the uncoordinated non-athletic kids and arbitrary times for running the mile and later in middle school it got even better with the PE teacher giving the boys a football and walking away. Commence 45 minutes of beat up the fag kid.

PE can die in a fire. PE teachers can all be homeless, starve, and die of AIDS. The funding can be used for something more useful like drawing flat Earth maps.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I ate a salad today. I am full, but in a way I still hunger.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Paperman, besides having expertly animated emotions and interactions, also managed to make its technology demo aspect very subtle. I had no idea what was going on as far as animation techniques go until I read something about it.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think the problem is with the use of the term "fad diet" rather than simply "diet". But Chu is correct in saying you shouldn't stick to what you know just because it's what your high school's weightlifting coach read out of a book in health class.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    quid

where is the milkman, quid?

why are you chanus

Milkman Dan avatar is on my PC.

My PC is still being shipped to Maryland with the rest of our stuff.

So until then, Chanus is my doppelgänger. Until I pick another avatar.

Maryland is a good state. Well, actually I don't know how true that is.

But it is my birth-state, even if I left far too early (~ a year old) and have only visited a handful of times.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

rilly

I would agree that some people are dickbagglers about new diets. But I would not agree that fad diets, as they constantly exist in our world, should be greeted with anything other than a massive amount of "seriously?"

If your diet idea can be boiled down to a certain kind of food, it's probably nonsense.

Weightwatchers is pretty good. I've been on it almost a month and lost over five pounds without having the time to exercise.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Feral wrote: »

rilly

legitimate diets

What happens if that 350lb dude stays on the 1300 calorie a day diet for 350 weeks?

The NEJM article was doing the science writing equivalent of laughing derisively as they debunked this one.

"Not only is it not true, it's entirely illogical"

if I lost weight because of placebo I would be just as happy

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

rilly

legitimate diets

Yes.

Jesus Feral come on this is some grade school math here.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

rilly

legitimate diets

he would last roughly seven hours before massacring a KFC

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I like that I got better grades in PE after I stopped showing up.

rilly

The fact that I have never once seen a fad diet with actually well supported evidense for it.

i am not talking about fad diets. that is not the conversation. i only mentioned fad diets at all as an example of something that i think might be (rightfully) making people distrustful of new physiological science that relates to bodyweight. my actual point has nothing to do with fad diets. my point is that weight loss is a sensitive topic and people have strong opinions about what they were taught growing up and what worked for them and what didn't work for them, and so on- and in my opinion, a lot of those people are uninterested in critically evaluating the science, even if new data were presented that was compelling and well supported. i mean, i'd think you would agree with this in principle at least with your disdain for religious obstinance.

It's funny, while Atkins took it to extremes, he did have some good ideas that have made us rethink the whole "never eat fats, eat only carbs" form of healthy eating.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cass got me Endless Space just after Xmas and I still ain't played it cause I'm terrible

Dead Space though

Oh brilliant
    edited January 2013

rilly

This is kind of a silly thing to say, because most diets start out as fad diets. I think we can all agree that atkins is not witchcraft. It works and has a proven, scientific method of action that even breaks that calories in/calories out rule.

Donkey Kong on

rilly

legitimate diets

i think he will weigh -31 lbs, in my expert opinion

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I might play some Endless Space tonight.

• japanjapan Registered User regular

But it is a battleground of petty fiefdoms over which "content owners" hold sway and it is impossible to find, verify or update anything.

oh god why

I had a major bust up with someone that works in an office at the opposite end of the country about updating forms that are used many, many times a day.

Because, essentially, you do not get to be arsey about people not using the forms without amending them (you know, so that the required information is actually on them) while taking weeks over making changes to them.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I did have a bowling class in high school that was fun and counted as a PE elective.

It didn't do anything to get me in shape but, surprise surprise, neither did any of the other traumatic not-fun PE.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

rilly

I would agree that some people are dickbagglers about new diets. But I would not agree that fad diets, as they constantly exist in our world, should be greeted with anything other than a massive amount of "seriously?"

If your diet idea can be boiled down to a certain kind of food, it's probably nonsense.

Weightwatchers is pretty good. I've been on it almost a month and lost over five pounds without having the time to exercise.

And I wouldn't call weightwatchers a "fad diet" because if you actually stick with it, with the calorie counting and such, it will have results that are as long term as you want them to be (based on your activites).

Even though I might look sideways at it, ww is waaaaaaay above stuff like the Guava and Horseradish diet.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    A lot of the wominz in my world are going gaga over this Advocare stuff.

Bless your heart.
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Paperman, besides having expertly animated emotions and interactions, also managed to make its technology demo aspect very subtle. I had no idea what was going on as far as animation techniques go until I read something about it.

I spotted the layers in the animation and how they interacted with one another before I read up about it. But I'm also an animation junkie with an eye for motion. That's probably why televisions with a higher refresh give me a slight headache.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

oh god why

I had a major bust up with someone that works in an office at the opposite end of the country about updating forms that are used many, many times a day.

Because, essentially, you do not get to be arsey about people not using the forms without amending them (you know, so that the required information is actually on them) while taking weeks over making changes to them.

If you want permissions for thee you must answer my riddles three.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

and that's how we get people spending billions a year on homeopathy and accupuncture and chiropracty and reiki and "herbal supplements" and 12 step programs and who knows what else.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    "It's just calories in and calories out" seems to be pretty wrong on all sorts of levels.

100 calories of sugar is not going to be handled the same way by your body as 100 calories of protein.

Different people are different and digestion is a complex process but pains have gone into assigning the calorie values to compensate for that. That's the ultimate goal of the calorie content metric.

Can you elaborate? Because I'm talking about sugar being metabolized differently from protein.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i feel liek zombie

poo
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i bemoan the loss of PE in grade school not because i think it's allowing our children to be fat but because we need to teach our kids that life is not just about work

sometimes it is about throwing a nerf ball at your friends or doing that multicolored giant parachute thing

You must have had different PE classes than me.

Mine were about ridiculing the uncoordinated non-athletic kids and arbitrary times for running the mile and later in middle school it got even better with the PE teacher giving the boys a football and walking away. Commence 45 minutes of beat up the fag kid.

PE can die in a fire. PE teachers can all be homeless, starve, and die of AIDS. The funding can be used for something more useful like drawing flat Earth maps.

That sounds more like an issue with your specific PE teacher.

I was one of the kids that didn't give a shit during high school. I was fit (I played football and did Tae Kwon Do), but I've got poor depth perception which fucks with most sports. Some of my gym teachers were fine, some weren't. I remember one in particular was a really nice guy outside of class, but when he was actually teaching all of his attention was focused on the athletic kids and he would be furious if you weren't an ace tennis player your first day on the court.

And then there was the one semester I managed to get into the gym class that did such sports as "snowshoeing" (putting on snow shoes and walking on the snow for an hour) and orienteering (which involved a week of sitting inside watching videos and one day where we got a sheet of orientation/distance instructions and had to use our compass to follow along and find the endpoint).

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I like that I got better grades in PE after I stopped showing up.

Comments: bad locker room performance, unhelpful during mutual shower sessions.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I loved PE but only the ones where I could just play basketball

when they made us do stupid activities it was the worst.

JUST LEMME BALL OUT

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    edited January 2013

and that's how we get people spending billions a year on homeopathy and accupuncture and chiropracty and reiki and "herbal supplements" and 12 step programs and who knows what else.

and if there is an effect through placebo that increases their quality of life, then its not exactly a waste

especially if there's no more efficacious solution available

skippydumptruck on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Lately I've been watching some videos from a fitness trainer on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO2azb3_PE

He has some pretty good tips.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i hate most of u today because i am zombie

not chu tho

poo
This discussion has been closed.