As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Paperman, besides having expertly animated emotions and interactions, also managed to make its technology demo aspect very subtle. I had no idea what was going on as far as animation techniques go until I read something about it.

I spotted the layers in the animation and how they interacted with one another before I read up about it. But I'm also an animation junkie with an eye for motion. That's probably why televisions with a higher refresh give me a slight headache.

I do have the excuse in watching initially it on a work computer.

Now I get to go home and remedy that error.

Good day, gentlemen, ladies.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    i too have Opinions about weight loss but they're controversial :v

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

i'm saying that if a 350 lb dude eats 1,300 calories a day instead of 1,800, his body won't be convinced he's starving and shut down all weight loss.

legitimate diets

So one pound of weight loss comes from a 3500 calorie deficit, right?

What happens if that 350lb dude stays on the 1300 calorie a day diet for 350 weeks?

After 350 weeks, will he weigh zero pounds?

Yes.

Jesus Feral come on this is some grade school math here.
    Next question: if you do a 360 flip on the swing do you turn inside out

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Lately I've been watching some videos from a fitness trainer on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO2azb3_PE

He has some pretty good tips.

i love these videos they are the best

poo
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    i too have Opinions about weight loss but they're controversial :v

rilly

i generally disagree with the idea that anything more than a moderate diet is sabotaging your chances (not in terms of compliance, but physiologically). i think the claims about metabolic retarding from large calorie deficits are overstated, especially for people who are very heavy. i also think that it's really dumb how so many people are going to an almost anti-science reactionary mode in response to whatever new wave of fad diets.

You believe that a severe diet can get results over the long term, is what you're saying?

i'm saying that if a 350 lb dude eats 1,300 calories a day instead of 1,800, his body won't be convinced he's starving and shut down all weight loss.

So, the thing I'm reading now argues not that you get "all weight loss shut down" from cutting calories, but that you end up failing to maintain that caloric level over the long term because of your body's reaction to the change.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I suppose the one good thing to come out of this computer trouble is that I have an excuse to really play my consoles.

I think I will pick up Dragon Warrior 4 again and see if I can stomach the "tactics" system.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    PE was uneventful for me. Mostly I just macked on the girls, naw mean

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    quid

where is the milkman, quid?

why are you chanus

Milkman Dan avatar is on my PC.

My PC is still being shipped to Maryland with the rest of our stuff.

So until then, Chanus is my doppelgänger. Until I pick another avatar.

Maryland is a good state. Well, actually I don't know how true that is.

But it is my birth-state, even if I left far too early (~ a year old) and have only visited a handful of times.

I like it a lot! I mean, the weather part is lame. But dear God, the ale houses and pubs. Worth it.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    So [chat], me and my mum had an argument earlier. It was an important argument that needed to be had. Feelings were running high on both sides but we weren't able to settle it.

So I'm asking you [chat], what do you think is more likely; dying from a horse bite, or being kicked to death by a dog?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My fitness plan is the best and super easy, everyone should do it:

1. Get a gym membership (and go, duh)
    2. Start practicing a martial art.
    3. Move to rural Japan

Easy-peasy people.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    dodgeball in PE was excellent

everyone was so fucking afraid of the two ogres in our class, one who was just freakishly big and one who had been held back once or twice

the second liked to torment kids -- one time his buddy knelt behind me and the ogre used him to trip me :(

there was a little wimpy kid who didn't like getting picked on who brought a screwdriver to PE one time and tried to stab him

all in all PE was pretty good though

edited January 2013
    Huge swaths of Maryland feel completely uninhabited. Not in the Virginia, oh, huge tracts of mountains way, but in the Ohio, oh, miles of generic flatland way

Eddy on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    So [chat], me and my mum had an argument earlier. It was an important argument that needed to be had. Feelings were running high on both sides but we weren't able to settle it.

So I'm asking you [chat], what do you think is more likely; dying from a horse bite, or being kicked to death by a dog?

100 duck-sized horses

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

everyone was so fucking afraid of the two ogres in our class, one who was just freakishly big and one who had been held back once or twice

the second liked to torment kids -- one time his buddy knelt behind me and the ogre used him to trip me :(

there was a little wimpy kid who didn't like getting picked on who brought a screwdriver to PE one time and tried to stab him

no big deal, just some gang fights, whatevs

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i was probably 10x more fit a year ago today than i am now because my job was less busy so i had time to gym and cook

job make me fat and die

poo
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

are you saying, are you more likely to die from one of those causes than the other, in the wide world? likelihood of being bitten/kicked being part of the question?

or like, with the info already given that you've been horse-bitten or dog-kicked, which is more likely to be lethal?

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Oh my god I want someone to do this to our intranet.

But it is a battleground of petty fiefdoms over which "content owners" hold sway and it is impossible to find, verify or update anything.

the majority of my job is owning our intranet

oh god why

I had a major bust up with someone that works in an office at the opposite end of the country about updating forms that are used many, many times a day.

Because, essentially, you do not get to be arsey about people not using the forms without amending them (you know, so that the required information is actually on them) while taking weeks over making changes to them.

If you want permissions for thee you must answer my riddles three.

It went something like this: We have a regulatory risk department who are frequently excessively paranoid about record keeping requirements. One of their more ill-thought out ideas was the idea that amending any controlled document (which is most of them) without clearing the changes be made an instant regulatory audit fail (which is a fairly serious thing, two or three of them is enough to get you fired).

Then create controlled documents that are not fit for purpose but are required extremely frequently, and require any amendment (any amendment) to be pushed through a process that takes, conservatively, a fortnight.

Then act surprised when people start finding some extremely creative ways to get stuff done without recording any of it, which is, from any sane perspective more of a risk to our record keeping obligations than minor amendments to standard forms.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually I think part of this is the data is a pain in the ass to collect especially when it comes to long term health effects of a diet.

Losing weight is good. Losing it by screwing up the system is bad. The best research on dietary health needs to take place over not months, not even a year but over 5 to 10 year periods. Get a sense of how much people lost. Did they keep it off? Where there long term health side effects? Were there other mitigating factors that lead to the weightloss being temporary or permanent? During the period of weight loss was their a confounding event that lead to more weight loss than was expected? What about other factors such as vitamins and blood pressure during the weight loss period, before the weight loss period and afterwards.

In general I think dietary science due to funding and the crazy amount of confounding variables that you cannot control unless you Truman Show the participants will always give murky results. Especially when you considered the best ways we have that are allowed by most oversight committees to monitor food intake are all dependent on the participant being honest, remembering what they ate, or actually eating everything they buy on a shopping trip and so on it leads to meh data.

Okay back to finishing CDC fellowship letter of interest thing.

u7stthr17eud.png

million dollar question

if he had Downs would you still call him an ogre

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

horse bite dude, come on

i mean, it's not even close

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

are you saying, are you more likely to die from one of those causes than the other, in the wide world? likelihood of being bitten/kicked being part of the question?

or like, with the info already given that you've been horse-bitten or dog-kicked, which is more likely to be lethal?

i guess i mean it in the sense of, across history have more people been killed by horse bites or by dog kicks?

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I had "Weight Training" in high school which was basically can you change clothes and then sit around and talk for an hour while holding dumbbells.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    A horse bite could lead to an infection, I don't think a mastiff even has the body mass to kick anything other than a baby to death

Skippy went to school with Crabb and Goyle.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

i guess i mean it in the sense of, across history have more people been killed by horse bites or by dog kicks?

Horse bites are actually kind of nasty.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

i think horse bites for sure. dogs are more diffuse and in greater numbers, but come on

I feel like this is almost so obvious as to be a trick question, but I'll bite...

Horse bites, huge risk of infection, etc

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I had "Weight Training" in high school which was basically can you change clothes and then sit around and talk for an hour while holding dumbbells.

I had walk a couple of laps and then go take a nap. I had so many good naps in school.

Bless your heart.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

million dollar question

I'd call him Spud since he can only count to potato

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i've been kicked by a dog before

still here!

aRkpc.gif

I would say that no one has ever been kicked to death by a dog.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    You must have had different PE classes than me.

i guess i did

sorry you were picked last?

919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Just stop shoveling pizza into your hole and lift some weights, bro.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    YaY3eqB.jpg

Storms in Indiana caused a 40 car pileup with 20 tractor trailers

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

million dollar question

I dunno, I get the impression that some Greeks may have comingled with cave dwellers in the past.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

million dollar question

I'd call him Spud since he can only count to potato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHNhFZhnMk

488W936.png
    THANK YOU

that's exactly what i said

i mean dogs legs don't even work that way, they can't kick you!

I would say that no one has ever been kicked to death by a dog.

plenty of people have had their nuts stomped by a bitch though

am I right fellas

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I don't remember my schools being rough but maybe they were

there were fights sometimes

no one got shot though

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Dogs can't kick or look up, so horse bite it is.

Lh96QHG.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that bro science guy is legit i can confirm

btw @bobcesca did u like how i did a bilingual pun to both say "i read this" and "this is legit"

because

any excuse to write legit................................... is legit

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.