As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Eddy wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I don't know how I am going to pay for classes this summer.

Worst come to worst, you could take the semester off and work perhaps

Yeah, but that pushes all my plans back a year. If I take classes this summer I can graduate the following May.

Cinders on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    School is for teaching kids stuff that will help them develop intellectually IMO.

Not being good at, being able to play, or giving any fucks about basketball will never in any way shape or form negatively impact my life unless you put it into a class, force me to take it, and then grade it.

So again, fuck PE. Fuck PE teachers.

Triple fuck people who present PE as having anything to do with obesity rates.

I think social development is just as important as intellectual development, in K-5 especially but even through high school.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    no harm in making kids try different sports in school

they might end up liking some of them

I have already testified to the direct physical harm that was done to me by this misguided attempt to get people to like sports through force.

How about, if people want to fucking play sports let them.

And force no one.

Because sports are a hobby and not a thing that is important or relevant to the 99.9999999999999999% of people who will never ever be professional athletes.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I think the problem with a lot of PE is that team sports just don't work very well with a crowd of people of wildly disparate abilities in the absence of a common interest in playing.

I sometimes think that the reason a lot of people find it such an isolating experience is that the teacher tends to be someone who is/was good at team sports, finds them enjoyable as a consequence, and doesn't necessarily understand that this is not a perspective shared by all of their students.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    ISTOCKPHOTO

TALI-SAMA?!
    WHY ARE YOU STOCK PHOTO

Bless your heart.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I remember one game we played called Battleship. Upon reflection it was just a way to get us to do wind sprints up and down a basketball court.

Also fuck Wind Sprints. And fuck coaches who make linemen do them. And fuck coaches who make hungover linemen do them. Assholes.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I was actually pretty good playing D in Basketball.

Something about being good at the D joke, I don't give a fuck it's almost 5pm

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    although I graduated just when the country was starting to import western notions of "hm, maybe PE teachers should have some physical fitness training"

which has rather taken the wind of the sails of those taking a drill sergeant approach to PE there

aRkpc.gif
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    -10C here.

There is no god.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    God damnit Geth I'm not fat I'm big boned!!!

he causes you pain because he loves you

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I think the problem with a lot of PE is that team sports just don't work very well with a crowd of people of wildly disparate abilities in the absence of a common interest in playing.

I sometimes think that the reason a lot of people find it such an isolating experience is that the teacher tends to be someone who is/was good at team sports, finds them enjoyable as a consequence, and doesn't necessarily understand that this is not a perspective shared by all of their students.

That said: what is wrong with you people not liking team sports that aren't terrible? (terrible ones being anything with a bat)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    YaY3eqB.jpg

Storms in Indiana caused a 40 car pileup with 20 tractor trailers
    So much for global warming, eh, guys?

Denying global warming doesn't really seem to be a thing anymore. On Fox, you'll now hear people saying that global warming is real but that there's nothing we can do about it, cuz CHINA.

School is for teaching kids stuff that will help them develop intellectually IMO.

Not being good at, being able to play, or giving any fucks about basketball will never in any way shape or form negatively impact my life unless you put it into a class, force me to take it, and then grade it.

I think social development is just as important as intellectual development, in K-5 especially but even through high school.

I think anyone who thinks PE is a positive tool for social development is a communist and also Hitler.

But, I have been known to be generally correct so there is an off chance that you might not actually be both a communist and Hitler, although definitely at least one of these things is true.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    rjRYTEU.jpg

sign, go home

you're drunk

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I generally detested sports, mostly because I was ill throughout secondary school and got to sit there doing nothing for a couple of hours a week.

However, before I got sick I really liked netball (before some girl scratched my eye leading to a visit to A&E and a pirate patch for a couple of weeks...which put me off a bit), and one of the posh schools I went to let me swim for sports everyday rather than play rounders or whatever after I got hit in the face with a cricket ball, which we shouldn't have been using for rounders anyway, and looked like I'd been beaten up while at said incredibly posh school (though I used to not swim one day a week 'cos I liked playing cricket).

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I do too.

However, I don't think team sports positively support social development because of what japan said above.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Elldren wrote: »

That said: what is wrong with you people not liking team sports that aren't terrible? (terrible ones being anything with a bat)

Well since I literally got beat up every single day during "football" I'm going to go with:

THEY ARE NOT FUN

-10C here.

There is no god.

That's like, 15F. Cold doesn't start until 0F.

YaY3eqB.jpg

Denying global warming doesn't really seem to be a thing anymore. On Fox, you'll now hear people saying that global warming is real but that there's nothing we can do about it, cuz CHINA.

I have heard a bunch of people recently denying global warming. The key is that they think that it is still under debate.

Also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So taking a sick day.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I have already testified to the direct physical harm that was done to me by this misguided attempt to get people to like sports through force.

And force no one.

Because sports are a hobby and not a thing that is important or relevant to the 99.9999999999999999% of people who will never ever be professional athletes.

you still ended up in the military though

that's a p physical career

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Gym classes were an utter waste of time in my experience. The kids who sucked at sports continued to suck at sports throughout the entire semester, and the best they could hope for is to get an A for "effort."

What they should've been focusing on is setting attainable goals for the weaker students and helping them reach those benchmarks.

-10C here.

There is no god.

I'm from Florida.

0F is some hell on earth, I say.

I think anyone who thinks PE is a positive tool for social development is a communist and also Hitler.

But, I have been known to be generally correct so there is an off chance that you might not actually be both a communist and Hitler, although definitely at least one of these things is true.

I was more talking about your premise about the purpose of school rather than PE in particular.

And anyways, did we ever come up with a final solution for this jew problem?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Well since I literally got beat up every single day during "football" I'm going to go with:

THEY ARE NOT FUN

That's one of the terrible ones

fuck gendered marketing
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    fuck baseball and fuck football

i hated those fucking sports

i was okay at soccer, basketball, volleyball, and tennis

but baseball and football can go fuck themselves

baseball is best sport

919UOwT.png
    YaY3eqB.jpg

PROGRESS BITCHES

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

My middle school PE teachers specifically had drill sergeant attitudes where they would scream and yell and belittle you if you performed badly.

They would also punish the entire group for one person's failure. Which was lovely, being me, the chubby slightly gimpy kid 1-2 years younger than everybody else in my grade.

Eventually my 8th grade PE teacher figured out that what he was doing was making everybody hate me, and he pulled me out of certain exercises so I wouldn't hold the class back. Which was nice, but after a year and a half the damage had already been done.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The sport I played in Highschool was a bit like assassins creed in that I tried to hide myself in the tiny group of other white kids as to avoid getting beat up.

This was problematic for a fatty

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    -10C here.

There is no god.

I'm from Florida.

0F is some hell on earth, I say.

You wouldn't last 5 mins in Canada. We had flash freezing and whiteouts today in the GTA. I heard the ice on Lakeshore Blvd in Toronto came on so fast it fucked a bunch of cars up at once.

488W936.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I was smart. I only participated in coed touch football.
    :bz

Bless your heart.
    Gooey wrote: »
    fuck baseball and fuck football

i hated those fucking sports

i was okay at soccer, basketball, volleyball, and tennis

but baseball and football can go fuck themselves

baseball is best sport

baseball is the only sport i played growing up where i managed to get bored while actually playing

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Girl update: it's not really awkward afterall

ftOqU21.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In terms of PE I was lucky: There was some gym equipment and I could just go on the treadmill or elliptical machine. Physical exercise achieved without awkwardness!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    YaY3eqB.jpg

I still don't get that. Lowering our carbon emissions would still mitigate the total amount of global warming that would happen.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna say there's necessarily a single good PE class in the world right now, I don't know

but I do think it can be done well and a well done PE program would be a great thing.

unfortunately a bad one can be disastrous for some kids for sure

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I suppose I should just go ahead and say that I have never really found sport to be in any sense a communal bonding experience.

I sort of relate to it as an enjoyable activity in a filling bars sense: I can now do this faster, this is now easier, etc.

Casual wrote: »

And force no one.

you still ended up in the military though

that's a p physical career

Strangely enough, I've always been in better shape since I stopped having to take PE in school. Like, all through my 20's I was in pretty good shape, with certain peak periods where I was in really good shape.

But not when I had PE classes forcing me to play sports which directly caused me to associate exercise with being bullied.

My middle school had a horrible bullying problem. And this is all pre-columbine of course. Anyone getting bullied was targeted by teachers and administrators for executive bullying on top of the student bullying, because deep down teachers like popular students and despise unpopular students, they just aren't allowed to take unpopular students out back and beat them.

But PE class was always the main event for bullying. And surprise sur-fucking-prise, people who liked PE were the bullies.

Like, jocks versus nerds used to be a thing, not just some hipster jokey joke shit.

In terms of PE I was lucky: There was some gym equipment and I could just go on the treadmill or elliptical machine. Physical exercise achieved without awkwardness!

My high school had a weight room.

It was off-limits to anybody who wasn't on the football or baseball team.

Herp derp derpie derp

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

My middle school PE teachers specifically had drill sergeant attitudes where they would scream and yell and belittle you if you performed badly.

They would also punish the entire group for one person's failure. Which was lovely, being me, the chubby slightly gimpy kid 1-2 years younger than everybody else in my grade.

Eventually my 8th grade PE teacher figured out that what he was doing was making everybody hate me, and he pulled me out of certain exercises so I wouldn't hold the class back. Which was nice, but after a year and a half the damage had already been done.

Wow. The only time I remember a group punishment in PE was when a group of us boys did something stupid as a group.

This discussion has been closed.