As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Endless [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    -10C here.

There is no god.

That's like, 15F. Cold doesn't start until 0F.

I'm from Florida.

0F is some hell on earth, I say.

You wouldn't last 5 mins in Canada. We had flash freezing and whiteouts today in the GTA. I heard the ice on Lakeshore Blvd in Toronto came on so fast it fucked a bunch of cars up at once.

Frozen hellscape.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Man, I'm glad I called in to work today.

My stomach was feeling just a bit off, and I've been feeling a lot better as the day goes on, but... (spoiled for gross back-end stuff)

...my poop is literally liquid. Like, not just diarrhea, I mean if someone was outside the bathroom door when I was pooping, they'd think I was just urinating. Which also means I keep leaking into my boxers (or was, until I shoved a wad of toilet paper up my ass).

I feel basically fine now except for some minor stomach troubles, but the involuntary liquid shitting situation would have been a real problem if I had gone to work.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    no harm in making kids try different sports in school

they might end up liking some of them
    Actually, PE in the U.S. probably does more to turn kids off of sports than anything else.

I was, like, super-awkward and super-uncoordinated when I was in elementary school, because I was growing like a fucking bamboo plant. So I was pretty much terrible at everything, even stuff that required strength (and I was way stronger than most of the other kids) because I didn't have a clue how to apply it properly. And no one has time to show you how to do shit in a 45-minute class, so it was just "here, kids, go out and play [sport]. Most of you know how to do it, the rest will figure it out, good luck with that."

So, by the time high school rolled around, and I could have actually been good at something, I'd been so thoroughly traumatized by elementary and middle school that I wanted abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with organized sports.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Lots of kids aren't in a position to try new sports, especially at a young age.

They're also not likely to try new things their friends aren't doing.

Forcing them to run around for an hour a two a week instead of sitting in a classroom ain't no big thing.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my favorite gym class was the one where i got hit in the junk with a ball and then got to sit on the bleachers for the remainder

worth it

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I played basketball one time in high school. I netted a three pointer, bowed, and sat back down and took a nap.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Team sports are really enjoyable to some people and I get that.

What I don't get is the refusal of those people to accept that their experience is not universal.

Guess what assholes, I don't want to convert to your religion or join your book club either. Can't you just enjoy your own shit without having to ram it down my throat?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Oh yeah, I got another letter from MIM with her new mailing address at boot camp. If you want to send her something, you can just PM me for it.

I can also just copy and paste whatever you bros might have to say to her into a quick letter I'm sending.

@loserforhirex @captain carrot @organichu @msmya

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Forcing them to run around for an hour a two a week instead of sitting in a classroom ain't no big thing.

I mean

are you even reading people's posts?

This is an absurd trivialization of the issues that have actually been raised.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Strangely enough, I've always been in better shape since I stopped having to take PE in school. Like, all through my 20's I was in pretty good shape, with certain peak periods where I was in really good shape.

But not when I had PE classes forcing me to play sports which directly caused me to associate exercise with being bullied.

My middle school had a horrible bullying problem. And this is all pre-columbine of course. Anyone getting bullied was targeted by teachers and administrators for executive bullying on top of the student bullying, because deep down teachers like popular students and despise unpopular students, they just aren't allowed to take unpopular students out back and beat them.

But PE class was always the main event for bullying. And surprise sur-fucking-prise, people who liked PE were the bullies.

100% this totally this yes this is what my schooling was like

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    my favorite gym class was the one where i got hit in the junk with a ball and then got to sit on the bleachers for the remainder

worth it

I once got a basketball bounce off the floor straight into the head of my penis, collateral damage hitting my balls as my dick exploded.

Top 5 pain that I will never forget.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    In terms of PE I was lucky: There was some gym equipment and I could just go on the treadmill or elliptical machine. Physical exercise achieved without awkwardness!

My high school had a weight room.

It was off-limits to anybody who wasn't on the football or baseball team.

Herp derp derpie derp

We had mandatory training freshman year with refreshers each ear for the equipment. But it was open after school to everyone. Dude, your PE teachers were massive assholes.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor we got ST fundraising streams goin on

Spooky is going to do a house stream with GGPO ST soon

#HYPE

Curse my being at work!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

What I don't get is the refusal of those people to accept that their experience is not universal.

Guess what assholes, I don't want to convert to your religion or join your book club either. Can't you just enjoy your own shit without having to ram it down my throat?

I also request they remove the rest of the dumb shit included in school that most kids don't care about and will not definitely matter in all of their lives

we could all have been going home at noon and spending the whole afternoon in sport if we wanted.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Way too much baseball hate here. But I guess hatas gonna hate.

I never minded PE. In elementary school it was basically a few hours a week of group play with a rotation of different sports and then stuff like dodge ball. Was fun, not hard and just a good way to burn energy. Middle School was more traditional PE I guess with sit up test and stuff. But still there were things like kickball that were just fun to play with kids. I skipped high school PE thanks to an exempt thanks to marching band. I was considered to be in a sport because that. Though I would just taken weightlifting instead of PE and skipped the running.

PE is a good thing, kids need run around time. You can hate organized sports all you want but a huge chunk of the population likes them and PE is kind of our national way to teach the rules and have people play them in what should be a safe setting. I agree we should add more fitness and health education to PE. But also removing PE isn't a good thing either.

Japan's PE classes were a mix of PE and health courses. The health side was graded and had textbooks and the PE side were things like playing dodge ball, b-ball and swimming. It worked well and was 3 times a week at my schools.

Of course I would love to hear whining if you were all forced to join clubs in middle and high school like they are in Japan. And the majority of those clubs are sports clubs from baseball and soccer to ping pong and tennis. A few had non-sports clubs like art and calligraphy but most kids did a sport.

edit: Before folks accuse me of being in shape I was always slightly chubby and short and slow as fuck but still loved PE for the most part.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    http://gawker.com/5980261/artisanal-manliness-for-fun-and-profit

$3500 for a three day "camping" trip to "reclaim manliness".

Cheese knife included.

It gets worse.

http://wildernesscollective.com/
    "Our 12 day journey will start in the capital city of Bogotá."
    - $10,000 USD (excluding airfare*)
    - BMW R1200GS or BMW R650GS bike rentals are include

Nothing like dozens of yuppies paying thousands of dollars to ride expensive motorcycles through a country controlled by two of the most ruthless drug cartels on the planet and 30,000 FARC rebels. This could never end badly.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    In terms of PE I was lucky: There was some gym equipment and I could just go on the treadmill or elliptical machine. Physical exercise achieved without awkwardness!

My high school had a weight room.

It was off-limits to anybody who wasn't on the football or baseball team.

Herp derp derpie derp

We had mandatory training freshman year with refreshers each ear for the equipment. But it was open after school to everyone. Dude, your PE teachers were massive assholes.

Ours was the same way

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The more chat talks about schooling, the more I realize just how good the school I went to was.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

i dont think anyone here is saying that

you are super duper hostile

919UOwT.png
  • Options

There is literally no reason to take this non-problem of "hoe noes, not everyone has a chance to try every sport" and turn it into some dystopic program of mandatory sports.

Shit solutions chasing imaginary "problems".

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

Nothing like dozens of yuppies paying thousands of dollars to ride expensive motorcycles through a country controlled by two of the most ruthless drug cartels on the planet and 30,000 FARC rebels. This could never end badly.

FARCry?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

I mean

are you even reading people's posts?

This is an absurd trivialization of the issues that have actually been raised.

I was the fat kid who was bullied for being shit at everything. That would have happened whether or not we were forced to run around in a field once a week. Kids are going to be shit to each other because they're kids.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I think the problem with a lot of PE is that team sports just don't work very well with a crowd of people of wildly disparate abilities in the absence of a common interest in playing.

I sometimes think that the reason a lot of people find it such an isolating experience is that the teacher tends to be someone who is/was good at team sports, finds them enjoyable as a consequence, and doesn't necessarily understand that this is not a perspective shared by all of their students.

My middle school PE teachers specifically had drill sergeant attitudes where they would scream and yell and belittle you if you performed badly.

They would also punish the entire group for one person's failure. Which was lovely, being me, the chubby slightly gimpy kid 1-2 years younger than everybody else in my grade.

Eventually my 8th grade PE teacher figured out that what he was doing was making everybody hate me, and he pulled me out of certain exercises so I wouldn't hold the class back. Which was nice, but after a year and a half the damage had already been done.

Wow. The only time I remember a group punishment in PE was when a group of us boys did something stupid as a group.

We were required to do a certain number of situps, pushups, and run a mile every Monday before sports. The PE teacher would set a timer and say if everybody finishes, say, 50 situps in a certain amount of time, then you'll only have to do 20 tomorrow. or if everybody finished their mile run with a certain time, there would be no mile run on Friday and we could go straight to sports.

Naturally, there were days where I was holding things up for everybody. Sometimes it might be just me, or maybe there were one or two other kids, who couldn't complete the objective.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    The more chat talks about schooling, the more I realize just how good the school I went to was.
    not sure I'm gonna go that far but I was super fucking lucky considering the level of Fat Nerd I achieved by senior year of high school

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I took weight training as a class in high school and was moderately strong

• Options
    I never got the "chance" to play polo.

The government should buy me a fucking horse.

• Options
    My favorite gym class was when we went on in the field in the back and got a giant ball, like, bigger than a person, and the goal was to shove the ball to the other teams side for a point. You could only contact the ball, not other players.

Eventually some kid got ran over and the school wouldn't let us play the game anymore despite us all begging.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2013
    Ahahahaha. Breivik is complaining about his "freedom of speech being infringed" by not having anyone to discuss his ideology with.

I don't think he knows what "prison" and "isolated cell" means.

Echo on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

real footage of my highschool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8760ji7Ax1k

there was no jim belushi to save me

• Options
    I mean I was a fat nerd

but at least I also did the musical and was in band

... ahaha. all boys school certainly didn't hurt, though. The bully/nerd/jock attitude was not all that prevalent. Or maybe it wasn't the all boys thing, maybe it was just the timing compared to when Feral and Jeep had to deal with such bullshit.

sorry for you both :(

• Options
    Kids go in HARD for the clubs in Japan too.

Got to school before 8 today, see one of my boys practicing his swing for baseball in the yard.

He'll get off school at 4 today, and probably practice baseball until like 6.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Way too much baseball hate here. But I guess hatas gonna hate.

I never minded PE. In elementary school it was basically a few hours a week of group play with a rotation of different sports and then stuff like dodge ball. Was fun, not hard and just a good way to burn energy. Middle School was more traditional PE I guess with sit up test and stuff. But still there were things like kickball that were just fun to play with kids. I skipped high school PE thanks to an exempt thanks to marching band. I was considered to be in a sport because that. Though I would just taken weightlifting instead of PE and skipped the running.

PE is a good thing, kids need run around time. You can hate organized sports all you want but a huge chunk of the population likes them and PE is kind of our national way to teach the rules and have people play them in what should be a safe setting. I agree we should add more fitness and health education to PE. But also removing PE isn't a good thing either.

Japan's PE classes were a mix of PE and health courses. The health side was graded and had textbooks and the PE side were things like playing dodge ball, b-ball and swimming. It worked well and was 3 times a week at my schools.

Of course I would love to hear whining if you were all forced to join clubs in middle and high school like they are in Japan. And the majority of those clubs are sports clubs from baseball and soccer to ping pong and tennis. A few had non-sports clubs like art and calligraphy but most kids did a sport.

edit: Before folks accuse me of being in shape I was always slightly chubby and short and slow as fuck but still loved PE for the most part.

Consistently running the same sport for a given class and allowing some degree of choice would actually be a really helpful step, I think.

Because you aren't doing the "this week: tennis, next week: baseball" thing it becomes worthwhile to take a bit of time on technique and training and probably enabling some sort of process whereby you can have people of different levels of ability doing different activities instead of just sticking them all on a field and having them get on with playing a game only some of which have any ability or interest in.

Allowing a degree of choice also makes it more likely that the students have some minimal level of interest in the sport instead of finding it just an odd set of strangely connected activities with no clear purpose.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

i dont think anyone here is saying that

you are super duper hostile

Damn right I'm hostile. Guess what happens when people get traumatized by something?

They hate it.

And then they're unpleasant when well meaning but completely wrong people come along and talk about how the awful thing is really secretly good because of <insert shitty reasoning>

I said before, people should play as many sports as they like.

I'm not anti-sports.

However.

No one should be forced to play any of them as part of a state-mandated education!

It's not actually a controversial opinion.

Once you account for the fact that I'm understandably touchy about being bullied constantly during PE class for much of my youth.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Yeah it really sucks that people have to deal with stupid shit like bullying. I mean what the eff, world

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    One of the games we played in elementary was using this huge ball. Like a giant taller than a man sized ball. And the teacher would roll it around and you had to avoid getting hit. It was fun. But also had the parachute games, red rover and sharks and minnows which I guess they don't anymore for safety reasons. Also had a 30 foot slide till it was torn down in 4th grade do to it being a safety hazard as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahahaha. Breivik is complaining about his "freedom of speec being infringed" by not having anyone to discuss his ideology with.

I don't think he knows what "prison" and "isolated cell" means.

Evil fucker just wants attention. Just like his last list of demands.

• Options
    I wish you could have all gone to my highschool. It was a science and technology magnet school. Lie half the students played MTG at breaks and lunch. We had PE but it was very kickback. We had no football or sports teams, but we had a robotics team. We had a school wide meeting because there was a fight once between two girls. The fight was them throwing nachos at each other.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I mean I was a fat nerd

but at least I also did the musical and was in band

... ahaha. all boys school certainly didn't hurt, though. The bully/nerd/jock attitude was not all that prevalent. Or maybe it wasn't the all boys thing, maybe it was just the timing compared to when Feral and Jeep had to deal with such bullshit.

sorry for you both :(

The shit I dealt with wasn't split along jock/nerd lines. We didn't have jock/nerd subcultures in my schools. I took AP and GATE classes with the football quarterback and the baseball lead pitcher, and we were cool and they were nice to me.

• Options

Yeah this basically how I feel most of the time with school stuff here.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, I'm glad I called in to work today.

My stomach was feeling just a bit off, and I've been feeling a lot better as the day goes on, but... (spoiled for gross back-end stuff)
    ...my poop is literally liquid. Like, not just diarrhea, I mean if someone was outside the bathroom door when I was pooping, they'd think I was just urinating. Which also means I keep leaking into my boxers (or was, until I shoved a wad of toilet paper up my ass).

I feel basically fine now except for some minor stomach troubles, but the involuntary liquid shitting situation would have been a real problem if I had gone to work.

Unless you knooooow that's influenza or something I would check that out at a doctor's.

Real talk:
    Get lotion for seriously. Butt dries out almost instantly when you got liquid and need to go all the time, which leads to bleeding and comfortableness.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.