As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Consistently running the same sport for a given class and allowing some degree of choice would actually be a really helpful step, I think.

Because you aren't doing the "this week: tennis, next week: baseball" thing it becomes worthwhile to take a bit of time on technique and training and probably enabling some sort of process whereby you can have people of different levels of ability doing different activities instead of just sticking them all on a field and having them get on with playing a game only some of which have any ability or interest in.

Allowing a degree of choice also makes it more likely that the students have some minimal level of interest in the sport instead of finding it just an odd set of strangely connected activities with no clear purpose.

We started getting those options by high school (roughly age 14). I chose tennis, and it was a huge relief to only have one sport to deal with.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I hate to talk so racially about my highschool, but look. Those were the dice. I know it's a dirty, not nice reality, and people don't like to think about it. But if you were a white kid, you stuck with the white kids,

go ahead try to reach across the aisle and see what happens. One of the few white teachers there would let us skip classes in the back of her portable and play MTG because she knew as fucked up as that was, it was better than our other choices.

Ludious on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Kids go in HARD for the clubs in Japan too.

Got to school before 8 today, see one of my boys practicing his swing for baseball in the yard.

He'll get off school at 4 today, and probably practice baseball until like 6.

dude you need to go see a japanese pro baseball game

especially if this dude is pitching

edit: better video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzxVad81Gz8

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahahaha. Breivik is complaining about his "freedom of speech being infringed" by not having anyone to discuss his ideology with.

I don't think he knows what "prison" and "isolated cell" means.

cry moar breivik

your tears sustain me

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I wish you could have all gone to my highschool. It was a science and technology magnet school. Lie half the students played MTG at breaks and lunch. We had PE but it was very kickback. We had no football or sports teams, but we had a robotics team. We had a school wide meeting because there was a fight once between two girls. The fight was them throwing nachos at each other.

Your school wouldn't have wanted me. By the time middle school was done turing me into an emotional and psychological wreck I was a legitimately bad student from an academic standpoint. It took a couple years of high school to recover any actual desire to perform well in school, and by then it was way to late to be on any sort of college-bound trajectory.

But hey, at least I had valuable team sports training in elementary and middle school I mean

What would I have been without that vital thing right?

Regina Fong on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    The US Government gets to borrow money for less than free, because Broker-Dealers know that when worst comes to worst you can always trade T-Bills for cash through Open Market Operations.

Bezos apparently gets equity investments for free largely on the same terms. The deal works like this. When there is plenty of money to go around Jeff can always find a way to spend it.

Yet the moment cash dries up, Amazon’s massive revenue stream will become your ATM, providing you with a life line of dollar-dollar bills. And the more Amazon-dependent Bezos can make consumers the more this works.

Key to this strategy is that the percentage of revenue Amazon deploys in internal investment has to be higher than the fraction of revenue its likely to loose during a recession.

One way to do that is simply to have an insane rate of investment. Then even if revenue collapses, you can always pullback more on investment. The other approach is to stabilize revenues so that even as consumers spend less overall, they don’t spend less than you.

The later runs into diminishing returns to scale, but the second actually experiences increasing returns to scale.

Income is more volatile than Consumption because Investment generally is more volatile than consumption. And inside of consumption, expensive long lived durables such as cars soak up much volatility. Thus, if Bezos sold Americans everything-but-cars-and-houses he is guaranteed a revenue stream that is more stable than National Income.

To the extent Amazon was able to pull this off, rational shareholders would be willing to accept a negative real return on equity. Amazon, then isn’t a charity, but an insurance product for Investment Banks.

hmm.

@tyrannus

aRkpc.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I wish you could have all gone to my highschool. It was a science and technology magnet school. Lie half the students played MTG at breaks and lunch. We had PE but it was very kickback. We had no football or sports teams, but we had a robotics team. We had a school wide meeting because there was a fight once between two girls. The fight was them throwing nachos at each other.

Your school wouldn't have wanted me. By the time middle school was done turing me into an emotional and psychological wreck I was a legitimately bad student from an academic standpoint. It took a couple years of high school to recover any actual desire to perform well in school, and by then it was way to late to be on any sort of college-bound trajectory.

But hey, at least I had valuable team sports training in elementary and middle school I mean

Yeah, I started on a slow burnout in 8th grade that didn't stop until

well

my early 20s, really, when I started to deliberately dismantle my peer issues

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    really really fuck baseball

baseball is worse than cricket

this is saying somethin

obF2Wuw.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Fail a pregnancy test in the bathroom was the #1 Girls sport at my highschool.

Just about every girl had a 1st place trophy.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I hate to talk so racially about my highschool, but look. Those were the dice. I know it's a dirty, not nice reality, and people don't like to think about it. But if you were a white kid, you stuck with the white kids,

go ahead try to reach across the aisle and see what happens. One of the few white teachers there would let us skip classes in the back of her portable and play MTG because she knew as fucked up as that was, it was better than our other choices.

That's how my school started out. Like, seriously, on my first day there, I walk by table after table of people talking in Armenian. Then table after table of people talking in Korean. Eventually I find one tiny group of 4 white kids, standing, playing calculator games. You can guess who I became friends with.

Things got better with time, because like I said, this was a nerd school with a bunch of softies. By the end of my time there race no longer defined the social groups. But at the start and for the first year it definitely did.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I made dinner all by myself.

It's a delicious teriyaki veal and noodle stir-fry.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

What I keep seeing is PE was just an outlet of numerous problems and not the problem itself. Teachers being bullies? Problem itself and not just tied to PE. Students bullying with no administrative or intervention is a problem. PE was just one of the outlets where it may have been worse but I think it is more showing the symptoms of much deeper problems with in the schools culture both with the students and the teachers which should be the focus and what should be fixed.

PE be awful is a symptom here, not the illness.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Seriously our drill team girls wore belly shirts and half of them had stretch marks or c-section scars

Mazzyx wrote: »

It can be both.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    And PE class didn't create bullying out of the aether, but it created the opportunity for the most severe bullying.

Opportunity is 1/3rd of the crime people.

So yeah, I fucking blame PE for that, deservedly. Without it I would have only had to deal with thrown rocks and occasionally being battered against a wall or locker.

Gooey wrote: »
    Team sports are really enjoyable to some people and I get that.

What I don't get is the refusal of those people to accept that their experience is not universal.

Guess what assholes, I don't want to convert to your religion or join your book club either. Can't you just enjoy your own shit without having to ram it down my throat?

i dont think anyone here is saying that

you are super duper hostile

Damn right I'm hostile. Guess what happens when people get traumatized by something?

They hate it.

And then they're unpleasant when well meaning but completely wrong people come along and talk about how the awful thing is really secretly good because of <insert shitty reasoning>

I said before, people should play as many sports as they like.

I'm not anti-sports.

However.

No one should be forced to play any of them as part of a state-mandated education!

It's not actually a controversial opinion.

Once you account for the fact that I'm understandably touchy about being bullied constantly during PE class for much of my youth.

okay, chill out. would you like a trigger warning or something?

i dont think anyone here is telling you that you have to like pe

some people liked it, myself included, you obviously do not

either way no one here is fighting with you so i'm not sure why you're so frothing-at-the-mouth over this

i am sorry that you had a shitty experience

919UOwT.png
    seriously that theory means that amazon.com is capturing the huge, huge seignorage that the united states government is leaving on the table

it's "% of gdp" large

aRkpc.gif
    We have vastly

vastly

vasssstly different definitions of the word "cute"

In fact, the words I'd use for that video is "OH JESUS CHRIST"

What I keep seeing is PE was just an outlet of numerous problems and not the problem itself. Teachers being bullies? Problem itself and not just tied to PE. Students bullying with no administrative or intervention is a problem. PE was just one of the outlets where it may have been worse but I think it is more showing the symptoms of much deeper problems with in the schools culture both with the students and the teachers which should be the focus and what should be fixed.

Read my above post.

And do me a favor, and if you still think I'm completely wrong and unfairly blaming PE, keep it to yourself.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Let's all hug it out guys.

Let's be excellent to each other.

<3

Only Jeeps deal in absolutes

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Team sports are really enjoyable to some people and I get that.

What I don't get is the refusal of those people to accept that their experience is not universal.

Guess what assholes, I don't want to convert to your religion or join your book club either. Can't you just enjoy your own shit without having to ram it down my throat?

i dont think anyone here is saying that

you are super duper hostile

Damn right I'm hostile. Guess what happens when people get traumatized by something?

They hate it.

And then they're unpleasant when well meaning but completely wrong people come along and talk about how the awful thing is really secretly good because of <insert shitty reasoning>

I said before, people should play as many sports as they like.

I'm not anti-sports.

However.

No one should be forced to play any of them as part of a state-mandated education!

It's not actually a controversial opinion.

Once you account for the fact that I'm understandably touchy about being bullied constantly during PE class for much of my youth.

okay, chill out. would you like a trigger warning or something?

i dont think anyone here is telling you that you have to like pe

some people liked it, myself included, you obviously do not

either way no one here is fighting with you so i'm not sure why you're so frothing-at-the-mouth over this

i am sorry that you had a shitty experience

he literally just explained why he's so mad

because it was highly traumatic and shitty for him.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

<3

NERD!

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Did the bullying magically stop as soon as you stepped off the field? It sure as shit didn't for me.

It's cool though, anything that's in any way superfluous from getting kids into college and into the workforce should just be gotten rid of. Can we talk about getting rid of art classes next?

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    To be honest Gooey you sound incredibly condescending and dismissive about something that really was a hugely awful thing to people

"sorry you were picked last" was not the right thing to say here.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html
    An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager ... "I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," [the waitress] said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

It does not matter how hard you work - if someone is offended, someone else is getting fired.

watanabe is such a sikk pitcher. pitching like that is called "submarining" instead of side-arming. basically submarining is sidearming where your arm is below your waist, but a really good submariner practically throws their pitch off the ground. watanabe is known for skinning his knucles up during a game because he throws so low.

we don't have many submariners in the states because they tend to have pretty low pitch speed. maybe an 80 mph fastball, which sounds fast but is nothing compared to a four-seam overhand fast baller type pitcher.

i know the orioles have one submariner reliever but it's rare to see him pitch, and even then it's usually just an inning or two, if that.

the japanese leagues have more submariners and they are just so cool to watch

919UOwT.png
    Tav wrote: »
    Did the bullying magically stop as soon as you stepped off the field? It sure as shit didn't for me.

It's cool though, anything that's in any way superfluous from getting kids into college and into the workforce should just be gotten rid of. Can we talk about getting rid of art classes next?

Can you guarantee me that deviant art will peter out and die if we do?
    If so I am down.

Why can't we put all this energy arguing into build doom bots.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

It can be both.

Yeah, there is a whole clump of issues with PE in schools that are not restricted to "bullying is prevalent".

EDIT: Possibly part of the problem is that the kind of parents that get riled up by poor learning outcomes in other subjects don't apply the same logic to PE, and the kind of parents that do don't care that some kids are being badly served by the system in that regard.

Those are stereotypes, but I'd put money on them being generally correct.

japan on
    I won't say another word about it and will let it drop.

Maybe I do need a trigger warning. I've spent most of my adult life trying to erase my god damn childhood because it was really bad.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

<3

no it's too late for me

i'm bitter and twisted

i shall see this world burn

activity classes do not have to be either compulsory or nonexistent

and bullying is not a binary state

aRkpc.gif
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Consistently running the same sport for a given class and allowing some degree of choice would actually be a really helpful step, I think.

Because you aren't doing the "this week: tennis, next week: baseball" thing it becomes worthwhile to take a bit of time on technique and training and probably enabling some sort of process whereby you can have people of different levels of ability doing different activities instead of just sticking them all on a field and having them get on with playing a game only some of which have any ability or interest in.

Allowing a degree of choice also makes it more likely that the students have some minimal level of interest in the sport instead of finding it just an odd set of strangely connected activities with no clear purpose.
    We started getting those options by high school (roughly age 14). I chose tennis, and it was a huge relief to only have one sport to deal with.
    Yup, high school. Got to go with badminton, which, as it turned out, I wasn't all that bad at.

Also not terrible at volleyball, or baseball. Probably could have been amazing at Pop Warner Football if I hadn't hated team sports so much.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Can you guarantee me that deviant art will peter out and die if we do?
    If so I am down.

Pretty sure the vast majority of DA's users have never been in an art class.

emnmnme wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html
    An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager ... "I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," [the waitress] said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

It does not matter how hard you work - if someone is offended, someone else is getting fired.

Something is happening!!

Tipping Debate is evolving!!!!!

Tipping Debate has evolved into RELIGIOUS TIPPING DEBATE!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

What art classes?

Understanding the basics of art is actually useful in everyday life if only to understand why something is so godawfully ugly.

This discussion has been closed.