As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(D&D4e) The Divine Future OOC thread

13»

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Throw them at a board, seeing which one sticks and seems fun to play.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    That Lightning Pixie Sorcerer makes me want to make a Lightning Pixie Wizard soooooo bad.

• Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kargruth Bouldershoulder
    4WlVkYd.jpg
    CB Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Kargruth Bouldershoulder, level 1
    Dwarf, Barbarian (Berserker)
    Heartland Option: Arid Desert
    Broken Lands (+2 to Endurance)
    Theme: Bloodsworn

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 15, CON 16, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 13, CON 14, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Ref: 16 Will: 12
    HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +7, Endurance +12, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Arcana +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +1, History +0, Insight +1, Intimidate –1, Nature +1, Religion +0, Stealth +3, Streetwise –1, Thievery +3

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Bloodsworn Utility: Bloodied Determination
    Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
    Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
    Barbarian Attack: Vengeful Guardian
    Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Whirling Rend
    Barbarian Attack 1: Resurgent Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Life-Ending Strike

FEATS
    Level 1: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
    Level 1: Powerful Charge

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit
    Amulet of Protection +1 x1
    Greataxe x1
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
    Dagger
    ====== End ======

Background:
    Kargruth's home was among the northern tip of mountains bordering the Silver Sea in Atragal. His tribe, known to many as the Stonedust, was not customarily under dwelling. Many of their number lived above ground, the practice had become common in Kargruth's parent's generation. The arid landscapes of the region were primarily inhabited by nomadic, horse-faring peoples so having a permanent surface settlement made his village a hub of sorts and many dwarven merchants made a fine living in trade and craft.

While not a member of the chieftain's family, the Bouldershoulders were well known for their martial prowess and determination, so when Kargruth came of age, it made sense that he would join their small, yet fearsome band of warriors. Not an official army or watch, the warriors were considered a militia of sorts. They kept the watch at night against horse-borne raiders and in times of migration, kept the peace during the great markets. Kargruth had just entered his 30th year and had taken a wife, Ular, just last year. This year's meet had been massive, the elders spoke as if there had not been one of its size since their parent's time. Things were returning to normal and the tribe prepared for the changing of the seasons, as most do. On the night of the seventh day since the meet, there was a great storm; lightning, dust, and blood.

They should have seen them coming but the winds were severe that night, kicking up dust and making even the most hardened scout squint their eyes against the darkness. The band, wearing masks branded with a black hoof, stained the color of blood, were nearly upon them when a great peal of lightning finally revealed their number to the men on watch. They sounded the horn but arrows quickly silenced further warning. The marauders rushed the outer settlements with torch and axe, quickly rending doors and torching interiors, screams of children filled the night. The warriors of the tribe were quick to reaction once the horn was heard, each man hand a hand to axe and hammer and rushed to defend their homes from further molestation. The Stonedust tribe had met many raiders in battle but these were different, too well armed and too well organized. Nevertheless, the men fought on and had begun to turn the tide of battle when an explosion rocked the camp, Kargruth saw only dust and blackness.

The sun rose red in the dusty skies that morning. As Kargruth came to, its light became a searing pain, waking him to the reality around him. As he slowly rose, he found few around him alive. Coming to his senses, he rushed to his home finding nothing but smoke and ruin. Ular's arm reached toward the sky from among the rubble. Grasping her hand, he spoke in tone so calm, it was as if all sound had left the world "I'm leaving...I will find the men who did this and they will pay for all, for you, for the tribe. You will have your justice. As he finished his oath, he put his hand to the wound on his head and then back to his wife's. "I swear this to you in blood" As he left his village, he tore the mask from the corpse of a nearby dead raider. He would never forget this mark so long as he lived. He would never forget the weakness that had caused his failures here, he would become stronger and he would protect those weaker than him. There would not be a next time.
    Motivation:
    Kargruth wouldn't consider himself a mercenary, it takes more than money to earn his axe. While devoted to no single cause, he sees there is weakness in the world and in people. Some of these need to be protected, others to be taught to defend themselves. Others are those who have allowed their gods-given gifts to turn to weakness by using them against their fellows. These are the worst of the world and must be taught the correct path again. Unfortunately, a lot of Aronians do not share this ideal with him.
    Quirks:
    While in control of his rages, Kargruth has developed a twitch of sorts when given annoyance or threat. He'll tap the blade of his axe when its at his back or its grip when in battle. The intensity of the tapping should be seen as a warning to those who would pose a threat. It would also be seen as unwise to mess, cut, singe, or otherwise harm his beard. It is a source of great pride.
    Mannerisms:
    Kargruth is a gruff, stern, middle aged dwarf. While life has dealt him its share of blows (and he has the scars to prove it) he doesn't actively hate any group or go out of his way to avoid people. In his terms, people are people. That elf over there could be a right bastard or he could be the first to rush into a burning building to save a child. Actions define a person and he tends to let them. Kargruth is slow to anger but his enemies should be warned that this is control, not cowardice.
    Questions:
    If you had the chance to shape your own society, what would you emphasize?
    Strength but strength with purpose. The weak should be protected but they also need to be taught to fend and fight. Strength of body gives you the right to hammer the forge and thresh the wheat, not strike down the innocent. Strength of mind gives you the right to teach and give council, not scheme against your fellows.

What would you exhume from your world?
    Weakness but not with prejudice. A child is weak because they are a child, an old woman is frail because she is old. The child should be raised with a stern hand but taught the value of life and protecting it. The old woman's council should be heeded as her weak frame disguises the strength needed to live so long a life in such a world. Cowardice, inaction, and apathy are the weaknesses that need to be removed from the world.

What values would you stand for?
    All things that strengthen the body, mind, and spirit. A mother's love is the strength that teaches a young boy compassion, a quill can be as important as a sword when teaching discipline, hardship strengthens resolve.
    Availability:
    Available most days, I can reply easily at most times during the day with major postings midday and evening. I'm in one other pbp right now, Call of Cthulhu. I've been through a fizzled 4e pbp and an RL 4e epic campaign. I still play RL once a week but its in Pathfinder.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Those eyes, man.

I think they're following me.

• Options
    Haha, yeah. Its a little unnerving, will hopefully make for a great token ;) I've got some more background stuff I'm going to work into Kargruth, I think he's best played as an Aronian. I should have it up tomorrow sometime. I was thinking of rolling another character but I'm kind of digging this concept so I may just flesh him out a bit more instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Updated list:

Controller:

Henri Felwynne, Elf Druid - Leper
    Omin Tesserin, Elf Psion - Grog

Leader:

Patrin Darkscale, Dragonborn Bard - webguy20
    Davandra, Revenant Ardent - schuss
    Nehem Sunsong, Deva Warpriest - Nealneal
    Rahger Stoneforger, Dwarf Warpriest - Slayer of Dreams

Defender:

Kriv, Dragonborn Paladin - DevoutlyApathetic
    Wandering Iron, Warforged Paladin - Aegis
    Kargruth Bouldershoulder, Dwarf Berzerker Barbarian - Peff

Striker:

Khalid Kashali, Vryloka Hexblade Warlock - imafrog
    Urlonn Onceborn, Half-Orc Warlock - Grog
    Cassius Constantine, Human Vampire - Slayer of Dreams
    Mikhail Ristain, Human Ranger - CesareB
    Esteru Clovenhoof, Minotaur Barbarian - webguy20
    Ivy Starleaf, Pixie Sorcerer - Mr_Rose
    Sharry Manthunder, Half-Orc Assassin - Nabob

Keep 'em coming!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Is there any chance of being able to submit a third character? :D I'm real happy with my other two but making a controller is calling to me.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I suppose the controller class could use a little attention.

• Options
    @Farangu

I need some geography for background reasons. Is there a swamp/marsh region and also an arid/rocky plain/desert region? I gave the map a once over but I didn't want to assume.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Flint Deepclaw - Longtooth Shifter Warden
    Flint_zps3405fc5a.jpg
    Flint on Orokos
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Flint Deepclaw, level 1
    Longtooth Shifter, Warden
    Guardian Might: Wildblood
    Background: Geography - Forest, Birth - Blessed, Wild Hunter, Sentry, Martial - Local Hero, Totemic Ally (+2 to Nature)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
    HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +10, Heal +8, Perception +8, Athletics +8, Endurance +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate -1, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise -1, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Battle Awareness

POWERS
    Warden at-will 1: Resilience of Life
    Warden at-will 1: Warden's Lunge
    Warden encounter 1: Wildblood Frenzy
    Warden daily 1: Form of the Relentless Panther

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Hide Armor, Heavy Shield, Warhammer, Throwing hammer, Restful Bedroll
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Motivation:
    Flint was born on the midwinter solstice under a half-moon. Apparently that is significant to someone somewhere because the very next day a priest of Melora showed up in Flint's forest village home and declared that he had been blessed by the goddess and could expect to find a grand destiny one day. Naturally, the priest was thrown out of the village the next day (politely of course; you never can tell with priests) but Flint soon started to show signs of being touched by great forces anyway, managing his first transformation before he was six months old and without any obvious reason. It was only a few months after that when his mother was momentarily terrified to find a small bear-cub in place of her child in his bassinet. Then she saw that the bear was wearing little Flint's clothes too and appeared, of all things, to be giggling. As you might expect, this did not go over well; though the village shaman concurred that this was a sign of great potential, the other village children decided it was the sign of a great target and Flint soon learned to defend himself with fist and, occasionally, claw. Things soon settled into a strained equilibrium as the bullies learned not to mess with Flint (physically at least) and Flint learned not to claw their noses off every time they insulted him, no matter how tempting it was.
    As Flint grew the Shaman taught him about the ways of the gods and of the primal spirits, about how they both fought the eternal chaos of the primordials but struggled amongst themselves over what the World was truly meant to be, and Flint learned to see parallels between these struggles and his own. In so doing, however, he unwittingly began to open his heart to the reserves of primal power within and around him, gaining even more of the old shaman's attention as well as personal training in how to manipulate that power. Flint's early experiences still shaped him though and try as she might, the shaman was unable to convey the true art of spirit summoning; instead Flint's prowess with his fists and unwillingness to back down from a fight combined with his already fluid form as a Shifter and he soon learned to focus primal might into his body, physically taking on aspects of primal spirits instead of calling the spirits themselves to his aid. Eventually the shaman declared that enough was enough and that she could teach Flint no more, sending him out into the wider world with two missions: first, to bring the balance the primal spirits desired for the world with him wherever he went and to do what he could to restore imbalance to its proper state; second, to seek out other Wardens, for that is what she declared Flint to be, and learn of their ways so that he might achieve his potential in ways he could never hope to at home.

Quirks:
    Gruff, blunt, and prone to turning into a bear to get away from awkward conversations, Flint is not, per se, a people person and - except for small children, who adore him for no very obvious reason - he likes it that way. Don't mistake his rumbling accent and uncultured dialect for stupidity though; 'civilised' folk who insult him in ways they think he wont understand because he's "a dumb animal" have a distressing tendency to fall victim to bear attacks despite going nowhere near the zoo that day.
    Flint also has the bad habit of walking around with his pupils closed down entirely, leaving his eyes as unnaturally solid yellow discs. He claims not to know why or how this happens, nor how it is that he doesn't notice the difference.

Mannerisms:
    Outside of combat Flint affects to move with ponderous inevitability; he is gonna get where he's going and not much short of a mountain is gonna alter his path. When he chooses to speak, much the same thing happens to his words. When in combat, however, Flint moves with the astonishing fluidity of a top predator, largely because he is one.

Questions:
    If you had the chance to shape your own society, what would you emphasize?
    Harmony, especially with nature but in general would be nice too; taking only what you need and being content with that.

What would you exhume from your world?
    The unlimited desire for more, regardless of long term cost; greed unchecked would destroy the world.

What values would you stand for?
    Community and respect for all, regardless of their nature, and steadfast defence of same in the face of those who would destroy it.

Availability and such:
    On London time but otherwise able to post whenever; weekends included. Not presently in any PbPs at all and haven't played 4e much since a couple months after Essentials came out (not due to Essentials specifically, that's just when Aegeri's computer imploded).

tl;dr:
    Bear-man cursed/blessed with occasional bouts of bear wants everyone to live in dynamic harmony with raw nature. He and Ivy would despise each other on sight of course. Then she'd sit on his head, tell him how warm his fur is and settle in to read a book. They'd eventually work things out I guess?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    @peff southern regions of both laonce and anglova house several marshes, and atragal is a very arid land.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    @Geth agrees with you about a made up fantasy land. That's something alright.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I should have really read up on who had created what so far. Roll up a Druid Controller last night, getting ready to write up his story and realize that Leper had already done one, the first character even! woops!

• Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    In the interest of fairness, DA totally beat me to the punch on first character, I just went back and edited it into my interest post.

Also: if it makes you feel better, I was nearly done with building a fighter/warlord before I realized that neither multi-classing nor hybrids were on the table for this one. ;)

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    I forgot how much fun it is making characters. Just so much variety.

• Options
    @Geth agrees with you about a made up fantasy land. That's something alright.

Not just agreement, he thinks it's awesome.

Two days, folks! If you were sitting on the fence, now's the time.

• Options
    If a third character is an option, I could go for a psion to bulk out the controller list?

• Options
    Added some background for Kargruth finally!

I've been working on a controller...but I haven't had as much time to but into it as I would like. Its another druid, though fairly different from Leper's. I'm not entirely sure I'll have time to finish him out but we'll see.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So here's how this will work, because I have a busy few days (and more) coming up for me. I will probably be announcing the selected party members late tonight. Once you are selected, I will send you a few PM's asking you what your character's goals are, and where they are re: with the Luminous or in Aronas, since those are two different times. Either answer is perfectly fine, I just want to see where everybody will be starting at, and what their motivations are. Once I'm in track with where everybody is starting out at, I'll put up the IC thread. The players will choose whether this becomes an OOC thread, or just falls by the wayside unless we need to recruit more in the future.

• Options
    At this point...

Submissions are closed.

I am happy to announce the party members:

Henri Felwynne, Elf Druid - @Leper
    Kriv, Dragonborn Paladin - @DevoutlyApathetic
    Rahger Stoneforger, Dwarf Warpriest - "@Slayer_of_Dreams"
    Sharry Manthunder, Half-Orc Assassin - @Nabob
    Ivy Starleaf, Pixie Sorcerer - @Mr_Rose

To those accepted: Congratulations! Expect a message from me shortly asking for a bit more info about where you see your character in the world, with the game itself to start shortly after. A few ground rules:

1. I'll be using a more organic form of XP instead of just counting numbers. I'll inform you guys when you level up.
    2. At least 1 post a day(weekends excepted).
    3. Unless otherwise noted, we'll be using block initiative for combat to speed it along.

To those that weren't accepted: Apologies. If we are in need of another PC in the future, yours will be the first I consider.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Grats to the party!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Balls.

Have fun guys!

• Options
    Well if nothing else, I rolled a pretty rad character I'll keep around, so thanks for the opportunity. Enjoy gents.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous! Have fun you guys. Going to keep an eye on this game. :)

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Congrats and have fun!

• Options
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Yep, completely missed that part where the story starts. Must have skimmed over it or something when I read it. Oh well, posted!

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I actually missed it the first read through, too.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    Sorry I've been slow the past few days. I've got some kind of chest thing going on that is just enough to leave me cranky, tired and irritable. Not the best state to try and be creative in.

Though writing this out, it probably helps with playing Kriv.

• Options
    No worries, devout. Go at your own pace.

• Options
    Thanks.

Two questions, first for stuff like knowledge skills will you spell out if we have to have training to roll? The history was easy as I rolled the dice and it really didn't matter. This is more a future reference thing.

Second, I was going to grab the expertise feat that covered one handed weapons and holy symbols (surprise!) but the rider on that is...well, crazy.

"In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC"

That's...uh, since nobody else uses a shield that's raising the groups AC by 1. Way crazy. Quickest way to fix that is say "adjacent allies" I think. That's still pretty good really. Your opinion?

• Options
    Point the first: If you ever need training in a skill to be able to roll, I'll point that out.

Point the second: ...Yea, that's still really good. I would say that you can take that later, but starting off with that at level 1 might be a bit much.

• Options
    I thought it was adjacent allies already? Or was that an errata?
    Either way a flat +1 AC all round does seem a bit much, yeah.
    Of course, once Ivy shows up she will probably be hiding behind Kriv a lot. He won't mind people thinking he can shoot lightning with his shield while also hitting things, right? :p

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    WELP. That was the biggest roll of 1 ever. I literally face palmed when I saw the result.

Slayer of Dreams on
    Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    Sorry for the late response.

The drastic "change in venue" has made parts of Henri's original background a bit difficult to fit in, exactly. ^_^ No worries though, I think I've hit on a solution, and will have an IC post up shortly.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Gleep! I just noticed a glaring omission; I forgot to give Ivy a free expertise feat.
    @Farangu Is it OK if I just edit that in or something?
    Not gonna ask to apply it to existing rolls of course.

EDIT: not sure which one to take either; dagger is irrelevant and none of the implement expertise a are relevant either unless I missed one? see below.

Also, I think Henri may have a missing skill training? mobile safari is dumb.

EDIT2: Edit Harder: nevermind, found one; War Wizard's Expertise: +1 per tier with light and heavy blades, -5 to hit allies with powers through same. From Dragon 402.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    It's probably the Streetwise that's throwing you off. (Background benefit: Streetwise as a class skill) Since he's not exactly charismatic, it's not particularly high.

• Options
    Huh. It's not even that; just a browser issue cutting off the bottom half of the skill list. My bad. :rotate: