As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    How do you guys think Angstom Levy will fit into issue 100? Is he transdimensionally teleporting Mark or not?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Want to hear something nuts? My son's name is Nolan Grayson Ogden.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    On purpose?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So my theory for issue 100 kinda got shut down in issue 99. Makes me intrigued to see how the whole thing will go down.

After issue 100 I'm going to try and read the whole series from start to "finish" and see if it holds up.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Issue 100 got pushed back one week, hope that's the only delay.

• Sage_CatharsisSage_Catharsis Registered User regular
    I don't think we've seen the last of the rejiggered virus. Mark's Immune. It cound kill everyone on earth and there would still be him and a handful of saved folks.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shoot, so no #100 tomorrow, yes? Bummer, can't wait!

H9f4bVe.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Uuuuuuuuuh

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    kirkman

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    goddamnit, kirkman.

This also makes no goddamn sense considering how their first two encounters went down.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Maybe Kirkman had Ottley make a fake spoiler to mess with people.

Maybe Kirkman had Ottley make a fake spoiler to mess with people.

That...would be just like kirkman.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It was a dream-vision shown to him by a psychic vampire.
    Guek wrote: »
    goddamnit, kirkman.

This also makes no goddamn sense considering how their first two encounters went down.

Well, is he back to full strength yet? Cuz he was getting knocked around pretty bad in the last issue.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    It was a dream-vision shown to him by a psychic vampire.
    goddamnit, kirkman.

Well, is he back to full strength yet? Cuz he was getting knocked around pretty bad in the last issue.

Yeah that might explain it. Mark at full strength could hurt Thragg. Dinosaurus couldn't even scratch him, so it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Well if that preview is accurate I guess it justifies me ending the series. I'll read it before I fully judge of course.
    If the spoiler sticks then maybe Oliver will be the new main character?

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    This is pretty much the only way Kirkman can get us talking about Invincible.

Maybe they'll put him back together and have Doc Ock take over his body?

Maybe they'll put him back together and have Doc Ock take over his body?

I could honestly see that happening with Angstrom Levy.

• frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Before people freak out too much remember how people freaked out when Atom Eve was "killed" by Conquest.

Of course if it is true then fuck Kirkman and fuck his creepy obsession with gore.

What Kirkman needed were bigger heavy hitters for Mark to fight. Once he hit his full viltrumite strength, he was just so much stronger than everyone else. I thought Dinosaurus would help fill that gap for awhile but these recent events, if true, are just...blah. Also, while I like Atom Eve, their relationship is pretty damn boring. I wouldn't kill her off but maybe separate them for a bit. I was really hoping he'd get together with the alien warlord chick for awhile :-/

Re-read #99:
    A teleport doorway opens up right before Mark and Dinosaurus bring a building down on themselves, and once the dust clears Dinosaurus is holding Mark who is inexplicably nekkid.

Mayhap a decoy of some sort was swapped in.

H9f4bVe.png
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Re-read #99:
    A teleport doorway opens up right before Mark and Dinosaurus bring a building down on themselves, and once the dust clears Dinosaurus is holding Mark who is inexplicably nekkid.

Mayhap a decoy of some sort was swapped in.

Nice catch.
    Maybe Dinosaurus engineered this and the world needs to see this to keep Thragg off of Mark's back.

i could get behind that. dinosaurus seems to have a quirky sense of affection for mark...i could get behind that kind of bait and switch

Okay yeah,
    others have picked up on that, and pointed out that Dinosaurus had a body floating in some kind of tank in #98.

So I'm pretty confident that's what'll wind up happening.

H9f4bVe.png
    In other news, my volume 17 TBP came in the male today. Looks excellent as usual. Something that struck me when I was reading the individual issues that really hit home harder in the TBP was how much I adore the way Corey Walker draws Amanda/Monster Girl. It helps that his portrayal of her looks almost identical to my fiancee. The entire Flaxaan Empire story was just really awesome in general and one of my favorite things that Kirkman has done. The small tidbit with Allen, Oliver, and Tech Jacket was so good too, it makes me want a spin-off.

Read 100

So many mixed feelings...ugh. Too much, too fast Kirkman. Too much...

It just struck me that now that Nolan is back on earth and Robot/Monster Girl are back as well, they could have some interesting interactions between those three and the flaxaans. Nolan was known as "the destroyer" after all, though maybe after all those hundreds of years, they've forgotten all about him...

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So, I just read Vol. 17, What's Happening.

I liked it, but I'm not sure how much of that is because it was pretty Robot-centric, and Kirkman's excessive verbiage, actually works in the mouth of a poorly socialized intellectual, like Rex Robot. It was great seeing Cory Walker back, drawing a substantial amount of pages. I love that dude's style so much, it's always a treat when he comes in with some new stuff. And Ryan Ottley, along with Cliff Rathburn and John Rauch, remain amazing.

The focus on the B-list cast was cool; the Guardians of the Globe are great, so it's always nice to see them. It is a little disappointing that more of the volume didn't focus on Bulletproof.
    I also really enjoyed the tiny subplot about General Kregg, the Viltrumite that's coming to love Earthlings. It'd be so easy to play that guy as a generic antagonist, but to see that he's not an entirely bad dude, is kind of cool. I love complex bad guys.

Speaking of complex bad guys, Rex Robot. Wow. Dick move with the ethnic cleansing, bro.

I do find it an interesting thing for his character, though, and it brings me back to something from earlier in the series. Invincible, having met the Immortal some centuries down the line, finds the former hero insane, and having grown detached from his humanity. After reluctantly putting him down, Invincible remarks to Eve that the Immortal was a good man once, but he ultimately just lived for too long.

I think the same could be said for Rex. He lived in an alternate dimension, facing down generations of enemies, for some six-hundred years. That would mess with anybody's head.

That said, Monster Girl shows no such trauma, so maybe Rex is just a dick.

Munch on
    edited April 2018
    (no message)

RedDelicious on
    Re/ #102, which I just got around to reading.
    Huh. Things took a turn. Those viltrumites turned against Thragg very quickly, and he seemed to go down extremely easily too, given how he was shrugging off punches during the War. What's this about the viltrumites suddenly following a wise leader over a strong one?

Yeesh. Well, that happened. Little too pat, I feel. Ending made me smile though.

H9f4bVe.png
    Just checked that volume 18 will collect 97 to 102. I have 97 to 100 in singles, might as well get 101 and 102. Then that's it for me.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Invincible's still my favorite soap opera comic.

edited April 2013
    Re/ #102, which I just got around to reading.
    Huh. Things took a turn. Those viltrumites turned against Thragg very quickly, and he seemed to go down extremely easily too, given how he was shrugging off punches during the War. What's this about the viltrumites suddenly following a wise leader over a strong one?

Yeesh. Well, that happened. Little too pat, I feel. Ending made me smile though.

Yeah I agree. I liked the turn of events but it felt like it should have been spread out over 2 or 3 issues. Lately I feel like Kirkman still has a lot of really great ideas but that he rushes through them way too fast. I think the last time he really took his time to tell a story with a beginning and an end was the Viltrumite War. I still love the book but I wish he'd let some of these really major plot points breathe a little.

Guek on
    Hooray, Invincible is awesome again.

H9f4bVe.png
    That was a great issue and I really like that Kirkman is back to embracing already established characters. Keep it up.

But...
    Why wouldn't they just fly off world?? I wondered the same thing the last time Mark was trapped in that wasteland dimension.

But...
    Why wouldn't they just fly off world?? I wondered the same thing the last time Mark was trapped in that wasteland dimension.
    Where the hell would they go?

edited June 2013
    But...
    My theory is that the whole universe is like that - that this is a universe where that Galaktikon dude successfully consumed everything.

At that point the only chance is to hang out where you arrived and hope another portal back appears sometime.

edit - Omnipotus! Classic Galactus expy.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png