As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS4] 399.99. No DRM. No Online Required.

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
UPDATE

LiveStream locations:

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-3GMHIgR-U

https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Update 21:00 EST:

Full specs:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221b_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221c_e.pdf

Tidbits:

Left/Right analog sticks improved as well as triggers

Face Recognition login

Recharge controller in stand by mode

Light bar gives information like health indicator warning

The camera has a nice big field of view. Up to 240fps at the lowest res, 60fps @ 1280x800.

Headset in the box

Single chip custom processor
8 Jaguar cores x86 CPU
1.84 Teraflops GPU (18CU)

The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.

8GB GDDR5 176GB/s unified

Blu Ray Drive 6X (8X DVD)
USB 3.0

_

I really doubt this needs a big OP, but here's some details

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578276672168365276.html
Sony said we'd 'see the future' of PlayStation on February 20th, and it appears to be true: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company will not only reveal the next PlayStation at the event, but actually put the new video game console on sale later this year. According to the publication's anonymous sources, both the next PlayStation and Microsoft's next game system will compete head to head going into the holiday season.

Though Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and others had originally telegraphed that the next PlayStation might not be ready as soon as the next Xbox, it appears to have been a feint. We may see what the so-called PlayStation Orbis has to offer in as few as three weeks.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3939410/wsj-playstation-orbis-ps4-will-arrive-later-in-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-3GMHIgR-U

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Allforce on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    After the fiasco with the PS3 announcement, I honestly don't see how they could do any worse with this and I am intrigued as to what they will bring to the table. It's great to see them take the first significant shot after Microsoft basically just put a countdown on a blog somewhere (to E3).

I also expect this to be an announcement of their announcement where they will announce E3. Publishers love doing that sort of shit these days.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I'm just geeked that it's going to be a 2013 launch. I was really expecting Sony to drop the ball and fall into 2014. I was going to buy whatever console came out first which was looking like the New Xbox but if they're close in release date and price I'm gonna jump in the Sony camp first thanks to Playstation Plus.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, that's assuming the Wall Street journal is correct. It'd be interesting to see MS and Sony duke it out head-to-head. I don't think we've ever seen them go toe-to-toe with launches.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Well fuck. Had to be this year didn't is?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Didn't we find out in the first or second week of this year that Sony was making a May pre-E3 announcement? Or am I imagining that? I could've sworn it was a thing.

Anyway, I'll be surprised at this. Maybe Sony bumped the time table up because of the leaks on hardware info for the Orbis.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Not feeling very hyped for this. I mean, we knew for a while new consoles were coming most likely by the end of the year. But still curious about what they're gonna show to get us excited about this!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    But will it have Riiiiiiiiiidge Racer?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They had to learn from the PS3 and Vita launches.

Right?

Right? .......

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Ridge Racer? I'm waiting for the next iteration of Burnout!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Right?

Right? .......
    Five bucks says it's cost $400 more than what Microsoft offers.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    What kind of launch games will they have I wonder?

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I smell desperation and feel a big gamble is coming from Sony. Are they ready? Do consumers have confidence in the ps4? Will the price be stupid like the ps3? I guess we'll wait and see.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    In some respects this isnt TOO surprising. The Vita was first revealed at a event around this time of year wasnt it?

IF this is the PS4 announcement... a few predictions:

-No price point announced at this point. This will be saved for E3.
    -No innate BC. Will use streaming service for this.
    -Streaming service becomes part of Playstation Plus membership, possibly as a replacement for the "Instant Game Library"
    -XMB gone. Replaced with new UI, based on a modified version of the Vita "Bubble" UI

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Not surprising at all really. I'm sure the WiiU being out already is having Sony and MS scrambling to get their systems out this year if they can help it. Take advantage of the opportunity while the WiiU is struggling and before Nintendo can get any of their big games out for it.

Makes a lot of sense businesswise.

Now with that said, I wouldn't trust MS with a solid piece of hardware again, so I'll be waiting quite a while before plopping down early money on a MS console.
    Sony has a better track record, but I'm sure the price will be very much out of my current reach.

It'll be interesting at E3 this year to see just what they all have planned.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The excellent part about this is that they will have to showcase some things that would otherwise be reserved for E3, meaning their E3 presentation will have to feature less talk about basic features, hardware chest-beating, tech demos and generic bombast (because everyone will have seen all that already), meaning they will have to focus on games.

If MS does their unveil at GDC, it means both will "split" their console unveils between E3 and preceding events, and the E3 presentations will have to rely more on games games games to fill the 60 minutes minimum. It also relly slaps Nintendo awake and forces it to pull out the stops.

So this E3 could be totally nuts.

Absalon on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Watch they'll troll everyone and the announcement will be the Vita Mini.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Combine this with the comment about waiting until after Microsoft, that lends credence to the superbowl Reveal for the Xbox 3.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Right?

Right? .......

More realistically: 10 bucks says it's at least $150 more than what Microsoft offers for its respective 'deluxe' package.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I just hope the PS4 isn't some superpowerful beast of a machine because I'd like it if development costs don't go totally insane.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Alright yeah

I could go for a PS4 later this year

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Right?

Right? .......

Maybe if MS offers a subsidized version

steam_sig.png
  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I hope they'll give us some specs with the announcement (if they do announce the PS4), but I know thats just a pipe dream.

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I am not hyped about this at all, and that is a bummer. I think the last console game I bought was FF13-2, literally a year ago. I wonder what it'll offer PS+ subscribers at launch? It isn't likely to have PS2 or PS3 backwards compatibility due to how weird the architecture for those consoles was.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited February 2013
    I just hope the PS4 isn't some superpowerful beast of a machine because I'd like it if development costs don't go totally insane.

Are you a developer or own a development company? I honestly never understand this line of thinking. I want games to push and push the envelope no matter the cost to you or I or Developer X.

Allforce on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

Are you a developer or own a development company? I honestly never understand this line of thinking. I want games to push and push the envelope no matter the cost to you or I or Developer X.

I think the worry here is that the more it costs to create games the less we'll see.

Any bets on release games?

I'm betting Uncharted, but God of War 4: Live Free or Kill Gods could probably make an appearance.

edited February 2013
    We'll never see "less" games. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and everyone wants a taste and there will always be people trying to get in on the action.

Launch games - Battlefield 4, something from the Infamous team that will blow our minds, Ubisoft new IP (will probably be for New XBox as well), bunch of sports games that aren't much better than current-gen. New or ported Call of Duty, Skylanders.

Allforce on
    Never see "less" games? Do you know how many studios closed in the past year? We'll most definitely see less games. And smaller studios are going to be hurt by the rising costs.

So at this point we're all assuming that Last Guardian is a PS4 game, right?

Irregardless, I cannot wait to see what Sony has up it's sleeves. The whole company isn't doing so hot so I hope this means they'll knock this one out of the park.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Likely we'll see a Killzone 4 as the flagship launch title. PS4 and Killzone 4. It just makes sense.

God of War 4 also would make sense, but I feel like Sony/Santa Monica has wasted this opportunity with GoW Ascension.

There's also a high possibility that we'll see a LBP at launch, given that Media Molecule has been silent for almost 2 years now.

I don't know if it will be at launch, but there's no announced projects from SuckerPunch Studios, and they have become one of Sony's biggest banner bearers.

edited February 2013
    We'll never see "less" games. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and everyone wants a taste and there will always be people trying to get in on the action.

Launch games - Battlefield 4, something from the Infamous team that will blow our minds, Ubisoft new IP (will probably be for New XBox as well), bunch of sports games that aren't much better than current-gen. New or ported Call of Duty, Skylanders.

Allforce...I like you but do you know how business finances work?

If the machines are beasts that push and push, costs go up. This means more resources required per game, which means less projects that will be worked on.

This also means that more sales will be required to have a games considered successful. During this generation, the AAA blockbuster model is that 5 mil is considered a success, what do you think publishers will require next Gen?

Point is that a small upgrade would be better than beasting the machine. This Gen sank so many development due to high cost and low returns. Heck Sony's gaming division has done nothing but bleed money since this Gen.

If next Gen is a tech pissing contest again...it's going to end up being another bloodbath.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Not only fewer games, but fewer risks, leading to the same old IPs recycled over and over again.

Edit: Clearly, the solution is to have Little Big planet 3 pre-installed on every machine, so that you have an instant collection of small user-created games to tide you over between Man Shooting Aliens 4 and Car Driving Fast 5 come out.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    No date or price. It's Sony but they just can't be that stupid and give MS that long to react.

If you honestly think that we're not going to have a steady stream of new games to play on new systems then I don't know what to tell you. You think Sony and MS are going to release a console that nobody is gong to make games for?

We'll have more great games than ever before and nobody will even remember that Studio Liverpool closed in 2012, just like nobody cries about there not being a Jaleco or Data East around like the old days.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    You think Sony and MS are going to release a console that nobody is gong to make games for?

Sony did with Vita.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Combine this with the comment about waiting until after Microsoft, that lends credence to the superbowl Reveal for the Xbox 3.
    Super Bowl ads leak constantly, so we'd know about it by now if this was happening. We'll see MS ads for Office/Win8/Surface, maybe a tiny teaser of an announcement on the future of XBox.
    If the rumors are right, it's pretty much an upper-midrange PC. It shouldn't be that much more expensive for anyone who is already generating good 1080p assets for the PC.

Epic is saying that UE4 won't be significantly harder to use than UE3 too, for what that's worth.

a5ehren on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

You realise development costs are going to rise regardless of how powerful these systems are, right? Publishers are constantly trying to outdo each other and themselves, so they pour more and more money into their games. Just look at Rockstar. They didn't need next gen systems to make four $100 million budget games (GTAIV, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3).

Whether developers/publishers go out of business is entirely on them. Low budget games can and do come out for powerful systems, just look at the majority of PSN/XBLA games. And if anything, the PS4 will be a hell of a lot easier to do so than beforehand, as the PS4 will be a far more conventionally designed system before.

Anyway, I'm expecting pretty much the same kind of unveil as the Vita's the other year. A look at the hardware, a bunch of games announced, a look at the OS and maybe some services that Sony are coming up with. Should be cool.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    I hope so unco. I like Sony and would love for them to come back from the pretty aweful last Gen.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I wouldn't call it awful.

They had a horrible, horrible start, but the PS3 is my favorite system this gen.

They're miles ahead in their online strategy (not counting online multiplayer) than either Microsoft and Nintendo, and they had some great original IPs.

This discussion has been closed.