As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing a cats sleeping habits (Yes probably a doomed question).

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I realize this is more then likely a lost cause, but I wonder if something can be done.

I adopted two kittens back in August, and they currently are about 9 and 10 months old respectively.

They are usually very adorable and fairly lovable babies. When i come home from work (I live alone), they are waiting by the door, they follow me to the food bowl, eat then follow me around the house being lap cats or playing with each other as they want but they are never far away from me. When i go to bed, they sleep in the bed, sometimes in a fur pile, other times spread out against me.

Then the morning comes. My alarm goes off for work at 7:05am every day even if im off, and until about a month ago they were happy waiting that long to eat. But one of them has decided that 5:30am-6:15 is the time for me to get out of bed and starts crying. I get up, to feed them and the other one takes a cue from the first one, gets up and follows me. I drunkenly put a can of food down for them and go back to bed. Now This i could endure...if they let me go back to sleep. Putting the food down usually buys me about 20 minutes. Then the first one is back in my room meowing at me for attention. I get out of bed again and turn on my frolicat (A little tower that shoots a laser around the room), then try to go back to bed. Again, 20 minutes is all this buys me. Shes back in my room meowing. At this point its close enough to my alarm that there is no point to try and sleep again so i get up. Practically the entire time i am getting ready for work shes crying at me. I pet her a few times and shes back crying. She wants to play with me personally, not the frolicat stand in. Not until i go downstairs and start playing with another laser pointer or string toy does she stop crying. I usually wear here out a bit by using the laser pointer to run them up and down the staircase a few times and play a bit before i leave for work.

Now as i said, if it was just waking for food, no problem but the constant crying afterward has me a bit concerned. If i could get her to sleep another hour we would both get what we want. Oddly even on the weekends when i go to bed much later then normal and feed them a little extra before going to bed, shes still up at the same 5:30-6:15 time period crying. So is there a way to shift a cats sleeping habits?

While im asking, This same cat also has a habit of biting and tearing cardboard and paper. Is this just standard teething behavior at her age? shes the older one at almost 10 months. I've seen her destroy the flaps of a carboard box over time.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I would just close them both in a room where you can't hear them with food and/or litter overnight. They won't love it, but they'll get used to it. That or get some ear plugs and ignore them.

It doesn't really sound like wanting food is the problem, they are just trying to get your attention earlier than they used to and it just so happens that feeding is the first thing you do when you wake up. There probably isn't a lot you can do about that, because nothing else you give them is going to be you, but they really do have each other to play with and I don't think you need to feel bad about shutting them out so you can get that last hour of sleep.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    We lock ours downstairs at night, they're so conditioned now that they go through themselves when it gets late.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ear plugs are your best friends when it comes to bratty cats.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    dont feed cats in the morning, they will continually wake you up earlier and earlier to be fed.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The issue here specifically is that you are responding to their behavior and they know this.

The current process is, they make noise, they get fed. Them making noise is the issue.

You either need to ignore their mewing in the morning until say after your shower. This way they associate you having a shower as the precursor for food.

Or keep them far enough away until you want to feed them so you don't hear them.

You won't change their sleeping habits. Cats are partly nocturnal. What you need to change what they understand is the feeding process.

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    The very important thing that many people do not realize is that cats are quite a bit smarter then dogs. The difference being that cats are far more self serving, so are seen as dumb because they don't listen. The fact is that they choose not to listen. Cats will try to train you to do what they want and that is exactly what is happening to you. This is where the joke of cats having servants, not masters comes from.

I agree on the advice of first ignoring the attempts to wake you with ear plugs. Afterwards try ear plugs and shutting the door. Waiting until after you shower like Blake T suggested would be a good idea as well.

Cats can also recognize patterns and will know what days you leave for work, and they will try to stop you. We have 3 cats, and all 3 recognize it when I pull out my work boots. They go from sucking up, to try and distract me, to causing trouble, to eventually giving up and looking like a sad abused animals.

They can be trained but it's very tricky and they will only listen if there is benefit to themselves. My GF has taught her cats to fetch, lay down, and even wink(as well as other things), but the cat expected her to wink back in return otherwise she would get grumpy and ignore the word for a few hours.

If you have a particularly stubborn cat(s) It can be a very long process because they will resist more and will challenge boundaries far more.

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Cats are partly nocturnal.

Crepuscular ;).

Serpentine, Babou!

Erik
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That was sarcasm.
    YES, ALL OF IT! You fox eared asshole!

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I agree with changeing the feeding time. I'm a big fan of feeding pets after work for that very reason. Last thing I need is a cat or dog begging at 430 in the morning. You get the water gun at that time. Of course then the cat may "punish" me by pooping in my shoes.

I loved that crazy cat.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, the only way to stop this is not feed them in the morning. It will still take 2 or 3 years to break the habit tho. Cats will make you work for every victory.

My cat found a piece of chicken in the trash once and now, seven years later, he still knocks over the trash daily to see if he can find more although he never has since.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree with the posters above: stop feeding your cats in the morning. Most mammals (including humans) have a hormonal response to food: they tend to adjust their waking hours to whenever food is available (this is one reason why eating a lot late at night is a bad habit for people). I gave my cat his first meal of the day when I got home from work, and as a result he'd be happily asleep every morning when I left to work.

It may still take some time, though. I was lucky because someone gave me this tip when my cat was just a kitten. Cats are creatures of habit, and getting them to change their habits is always a lengthy battle of wits and willpower. They may also start punishing you in various ways when they notice you're not doing what they've trained you to do anymore.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Once a day? that sounds rather wrong... Its not that im new to cats, and every cat ive had myself or in my family has been fed at least twice a day. Are you talking about wet food, and you keep out a bunch of dry?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Once a day? that sounds rather wrong... Its not that im new to cats, and every cat ive had myself or in my family has been fed at least twice a day. Are you talking about wet food, and you keep out a bunch of dry?

Cats can be fed any number times a day as long as you don't go over the reccomended amount. Once a day is perfectly fine to do. Leaving out dry food all the time can be a really bad thing to do depending on your cat; some are fine with it, some will eat to bursting constantly.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The issue here specifically is that you are responding to their behavior and they know this.

The current process is, they make noise, they get fed. Them making noise is the issue.

You either need to ignore their mewing in the morning until say after your shower. This way they associate you having a shower as the precursor for food.

Or keep them far enough away until you want to feed them so you don't hear them.

You won't change their sleeping habits. Cats are partly nocturnal. What you need to change what they understand is the feeding process.

This. This. This.

The cats are training you.

Ignore them. This will be difficult - and they'll ramp up their attempts to get you to pay attention/feed/play with them tremendously before giving up (this is called an extinction burst), but eventually they'll stop.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'd personally recommend a water gun by your bed.

Mine isn't even filled anymore and the cat (and dog) stop their annoying behavior the instant they see it. Only ever used it for one week too.