As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Favorite TV series?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I feel bad for having zero desire to sit through FNL.

It's 100% due to me actually growing up in a small Texas town where football was king. I feel like I've examined that angle enough for one lifetime.

I'm also one of those people who, when they stopped playing sports after over a decade, lost interest in them almost completely. I played league sports non-stop every season from age 7 to age 22. I'm very over it.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It's not about sports. I mean, yes, there is a football team involved. But it's about Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton being television's best married couple ever.

To the point where the producers were seriously worried about Kyle Chandler's actual marriage. <-- not making that up

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Friday Night Lights is one of the best dramas I've ever seen. Honestly it ranks right up there for me with The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc. in my favorites. Just a fucking phenomenal show. My wife isn't a big sports fan and she loves it equally. It's pretty much the definition of a show that isn't really about what it looks like. Football is just the backdrop.

Joshmvii on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I had no interest in FNL because it seemed like a show that had no hook.

No matter how well written or acted, the premise is just inherently uninteresting to me.

That's because the hook is at the end of the pilot and you couldn't show it in ads for reasons.

Just watch the pilot, it's 45 minutes.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So from what I've been reading, The Following is garbage and The Americans is good?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So from what I've been reading, The Following is garbage and The Americans is good?

The latter isn't necessarily unanimous yet, but it appears to be worth watching, yes.

edited February 2013
    That's because the hook is at the end of the pilot and you couldn't show it in ads for reasons.

I had totally forgotten what you were talking about. I mean, not what happened, but just that that was the end of the pilot.

Jesus, the end of that episode is hard to watch.

And yeah, that's the hook for the first season. After that, it's mostly the "Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are awesome" show, with some football thrown in.

Actual, for realsies Friday Night Lights spoiler:
    "Saracen, that's you. Quarterback's a captain."

Yeah, just rewatched the last ten minutes on the Netflixes.

mcdermott on
    shryke wrote: »

No matter how well written or acted, the premise is just inherently uninteresting to me.

If you watch the pilot, just the pilot, I guarantee if you like good drama you will change your mind. 100%.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Are we talking about
    the quarterback getting permanently injured?

Cause that's not really what I'd call a hook.

edited February 2013

Are we talking about
    the quarterback getting permanently injured?

Cause that's not really what I'd call a hook.

Well, I'd say it's more... (Friday Night Lights pilot spoiler)
    ...bringing Saracen on as the replacement that's the hook for the first season. That's what drives it.

I guess I can see if you truly have zero interest in high school football that wouldn't do much for you. Personally I hate high school football, and I loved it anyway.

mcdermott on
    Joshmvii wrote: »

If you watch the pilot, just the pilot, I guarantee if you like good drama you will change your mind. 100%.

I feel like it'd take a very strong and active hatred of high school football to outweigh it, yes.

I know people who hated football who were converted to football by the show. Even though it's not really about football.

The show is about football the way Mad Men is about advertising. It just happens to be the backdrop of the show.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The 10th Kingdom is the only maxi-series I can recall in my entire lifetime.

Even if they were intended to be series originally, I count Daybreak and Journeyman as excellent maxi-series.

Seriously, they're both fucking amazing.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    On the topic of 'football' shows, I'm going to throw Blue Mountain State into the thread now. I really enjoyed that damned show.

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: 15 episodes, according to the wiki. And I'm assuming that's only because it's a midseason premiere, and that next season will be 20+ episodes.

I recall reading that the show is sticking to 15-episode seasons specifically because Kevin Bacon wants more downtime to work on movies and other projects during hiatus. And given he's the biggest draw to this project, I'd assume they don't want to push the limit of that number for future seasons.

philler on
    All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Here's the four shows I currently keep up with:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Justified
    Archer
    Eastbound & Down

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The Following is a perfect example of why people who actually want to make good TV go to F/X, AMC, HBO, etc. It's a horribly written piece of garbage. Just awful.

Its a good example of a show that couldn't been solid if it wasn't on a network that insisted on treating it's viewers like retards

HEY GUYS I GET IT NOW NEVERMORE IT'S FROM EDGAR ALLEN POE HE WROTE THE RAVEN

We was talking to all the FBI agents who failed 8th grade English class

Like, half the Agents were convinced the killer just really, really didn't like Paramore.

Thank god Kevin Bacon was there to make the connection for them!

I didn't see the pilot, so maybe it was godawful, but I rather liked the second episode.

The ridiculously hot redhead with the pixie cut and the ridiculously hot Raylan Givens' ex-wife and the ridiculously hot former Jack McCoy understudy probably biased me though. Also I was mildly drunk.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Not enough people have mentioned FNL. It makes me sad.

I gave up on FNL after the hyper-religious dude killed a guy.

I've been told that it gets better, but eh. The second season had basically no football for a show ostensibly about football.

1) Landry is not hyper-religious, he just plays in a Christian speed metal band.
    2) The second season fails on most levels. It's an aberration.

edited February 2013
    Not enough people have mentioned FNL. It makes me sad.

I gave up on FNL after the...
    hyper-religious dude killed a guy.

I've been told that it gets better, but eh. The second season had basically no football for a show ostensibly about football.

The second season may well be one of the worst seasons of television ever, across all shows and genres.

It's certainly the worst season of television out of shows that are generally decent.

It's pretty fucking awful.

mcdermott on
    Like, I'd almost suggest just reading the wikipedia episode summaries and skipping to season three.

In its defense, that season had to deal with poor ratings and the fear of cancellation, and a writer's strike that cost it episodes and a proper season finale. Still, its clearly the worst of the 5 seasons FNL had, but its not a complete write-off, just need a couple shots or swigs to get through it.

PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    Like, I'd almost suggest just reading the wikipedia episode summaries and skipping to season three.

The scene with Taylor and Saracen at the Saracens late in the season redeems a lot of it, but there are so many awful plots. Fortunately it recovers beautifully in season 3, which might be my favorite, overall.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Skins is quickly growing on me. Interesting that they change casts every 2 seasons.

Anybody here watching Utopia? British TV series that's just started. I've only seen the first episode but so far it's pretty interesting. A random group of people in an online chatroom get caught up in a massive conspiracy when they look into an unpublished graphic novel called "The Utopia Experiments", which seems to have predicted various world disasters, and prophesizes more in the future.

The basic plot reminds me a lot of 20th Century Boys, which was the huge draw for me, though a bit more standard with its conspiracy theory theme. It's kinda pulpy, leaning towards dark comedy, but in a very British way. Also, the music is excellent and the cinematography is gorgeous for a television series. Certain colours and patterns seem to be recurring themes, which now makes me think of Watchmen as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    I recently was forced to take my Uncle's Fringe Season 1-3 blu-rays back home after a visit. I was home sick one day and decided that since nothing was on, I'd put the first disc of season 1 in.

Colour me hooked. Working my way through season 2 now.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Let's see... (in no certain order)

The old Buck Rogers
    The old Battlestar Galactica
    Archer
    The Venture Brothers
    Fringe
    Rome
    Firefly
    NCIS
    Space: Above and Beyond
    X-Files
    various Trek shows
    Farscape
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker

There are probably more, but I have watched way too much TV in my lifetime.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I am getting through the last season of Fringe at the moment. The only new show I'm watching at the moment is Arrow. It's camp and that's just how I like it.

Gotta wait for Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who and Sherlock to come back on.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of shows that I love and still love but just didn't hook me all the way through. I didn't finish:

The Wire (stopped watching partway though season 3)
    Dexter (stopped watching after the Trinity Killer season)
    Fringe (haven't seen the last season)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (I've only seen an episode here or there after season 5)
    Deadwood (stopped after... season 2 I think? It's been a while.)
    Homeland (haven't seen the last three episodes)

All great, but, I dunno, they didn't hook me enough? Or maybe Battlestar Galactica abused me such that I can never commit to a long series again. Battlestar Galactica is the worst television show ever.

Things I am still devoted to/was devoted to through the end:

Game of Thrones
    Justified
    The Venture Bros
    Happy Endings

Currently I love the new show, The Americans.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I completely forgot Dr. Who. I'm loving that show right now and am watching thru it on Netflix. I watched the return of Who when it first came on SciFi for the first year, then kind of forgot about it. I didn't get to see most of the Tenant episodes and he's awesome.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I love some bad sci fi, so this review intrigues me:
    I'm going to remember the bugnuts absurdity of "Zero Hour," the greatest show ever made about evil Nazi clocks. If anything, I wish it were dumber more often.

Unfortunately, I think it's Thursdays at 8, so would be instead of Community/Parks & Rec and that ain't happening.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    What kind of person actually watches shows when they air anymore?

steam_sig.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I completely forgot Dr. Who. I'm loving that show right now and am watching thru it on Netflix. I watched the return of Who when it first came on SciFi for the first year, then kind of forgot about it. I didn't get to see most of the Tenant episodes and he's awesome.

Just wait till you start yelling MOFFFETTTT!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    What kind of person actually watches shows when they air anymore?

I watched the last few eps of Breaking Bad live, and I'll watch the rest of the season when it airs. That's about it.

Also, I've seen a few recent South Park eps that were brand-new. I'm always surprised when it's not a rerun, but pleasantly so.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Newsroom
    Adventure Time

Law and Order: Infinite Reruns

Lost

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of shows that I love and still love but just didn't hook me all the way through. I didn't finish:

The Wire (stopped watching partway though season 3)
    Dexter (stopped watching after the Trinity Killer season)
    Fringe (haven't seen the last season)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (I've only seen an episode here or there after season 5)
    Deadwood (stopped after... season 2 I think? It's been a while.)
    Homeland (haven't seen the last three episodes)

All great, but, I dunno, they didn't hook me enough? Or maybe Battlestar Galactica abused me such that I can never commit to a long series again. Battlestar Galactica is the worst television show ever.

Things I am still devoted to/was devoted to through the end:

Game of Thrones
    Justified
    The Venture Bros
    Happy Endings

Currently I love the new show, The Americans.

You can't be devoted to battlestar gallactica because its a long series(4 seasons long over 5 years?), but you are devoted to the venture brothers which is still going, and has 4 seasons over 10 years(to the date, on saturday).
    Just poking fun. Us fans of VB need to start a battered spouse club.

steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I watched most of season one of BSG and didn't much care for it. It really should have been right up my alley. I love Sci-fi, but I just didn't think the stories it was telling were really any good, it was kind of like sci-fi in setting only. Maybe that doesn't make sense, I'm sick and having a hard time organizing my thoughts today.

Shows that I loved from beginning to end: The Shield and Rome are pretty much right at the top for me.
    I quite like Breaking bad, and liked the first three seasons of Dexter.
    The first three seasons of the Wire were so good, but the 4th season really lost me and I was just bored of it by the 5th and ended up not even finishing it.
    I really liked the first 2.5 seasons of Fringe. The last few seasons after that were good but not up to the same level.

As for Comedies: The League, Curb your Enthusiasm, Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse.

I watched most of season one of BSG and didn't much care for it. It really should have been right up my alley. I love Sci-fi, but I just didn't think the stories it was telling were really any good, it was kind of like sci-fi in setting only. Maybe that doesn't make sense, I'm sick and having a hard time organizing my thoughts today.

Shows that I loved from beginning to end: The Shield and Rome are pretty much right at the top for me.
    I quite like Breaking bad, and liked the first three seasons of Dexter.
    The first three seasons of the Wire were so good, but the 4th season really lost me and I was just bored of it by the 5th and ended up not even finishing it.
    I really liked the first 2.5 seasons of Fringe. The last few seasons after that were good but not up to the same level.

As for Comedies: The League, Curb your Enthusiasm, Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse.

You don't watch Archer?

You should watch Archer.

And yes, BSG was definitely Sci-fi in setting only, or at least largely so. That, I think, helped with broader appeal.