As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Endless [Chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I need to stretch more and better

They make kits for that. You can find them at any gay-friendly adult shop.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    She wasn't a hooker.

At least, not until after she came back to the states.

oohhhhhh

• Options
    Feral's posts feel surreal while I am drunk.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Goodnight, Regina!

I've been going to be at around 10pm the past few nights, and now staying up till 1 is exhausting.

What time zone are you in again?

East coast. New Yawhk.

Ah. So you are me plus three.

You should always stay up until one, just because everyone in that time zone should so there are more people on at night here.

Most of the time I do. It's been a weird week for me. Whenever I get stressed out or upset about something, going to bed immediately to stop the bad thoughts is my new solution. Healthy/not healthy?

I can't say whether it's healthy or not healthy but on a scale of me/not me it is very me.

I always try and nap when I'm upset. It's a good way to reset.

What's up? Why are you stressed? Or is it something you'd not like to talk about, because that's cool too.

Hah, thanks. Yeah it's mostly stupid stuff, my graduation status is all screwed up because my advisor is an idiot and told me I didn't need a certain class to graduate when I actually did. So now the dean and the director of my program are emailing me constantly trying to figure out what happened and whether I'll be able to graduate this spring... on top of that I need those same people's help with applying to graduate school, which I need to finish in the next two weeks, and I expect their reaction to me "this girl can't even graduate undergrad, and she wants to get involved in a master's program?" Also I've been trying to write my personal statement (which has to be good or you don't get in according to everyone), and I've just been in a shitty frame of mind for writing positive, insightful things about me. I have fragmented paragraphs all over a word document that are the exact opposite of what all the guides say you should focus on in a personal statement. GAH. I feel useless.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    seriously

i am still fucking flabbergasted by that title

seriously?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Raven do not be made felt inadequate by the senseless bureaucracy of the educational institutions. They are dumb.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Goodnight, Regina!

I've been going to be at around 10pm the past few nights, and now staying up till 1 is exhausting.

East coast. New Yawhk.

You should always stay up until one, just because everyone in that time zone should so there are more people on at night here.

Most of the time I do. It's been a weird week for me. Whenever I get stressed out or upset about something, going to bed immediately to stop the bad thoughts is my new solution. Healthy/not healthy?

I can't say whether it's healthy or not healthy but on a scale of me/not me it is very me.

What's up? Why are you stressed? Or is it something you'd not like to talk about, because that's cool too.

Hah, thanks. Yeah it's mostly stupid stuff, my graduation status is all screwed up because my advisor is an idiot and told me I didn't need a certain class to graduate when I actually did. So now the dean and the director of my program are emailing me constantly trying to figure out what happened and whether I'll be able to graduate this spring... on top of that I need those same people's help with applying to graduate school, which I need to finish in the next two weeks, and I expect their reaction to me "this girl can't even graduate undergrad, and she wants to get involved in a master's program?" Also I've been trying to write my personal statement (which has to be good or you don't get in according to everyone), and I've just been in a shitty frame of mind for writing positive, insightful things about me. I have fragmented paragraphs all over a word document that are the exact opposite of what all the guides say you should focus on in a personal statement. GAH. I feel useless.

I suspect their reaction to you wanting to apply to graduate school will not be what you expect :P

Also, what is involved in writing a personal statement? I am enthralled by the workings of higher education.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Raven do not be made felt inadequate by the senseless bureaucracy of the educational institutions. They are dumb.

Furreal though. My advisor actually screwed me over. I kind of want to sue him a little bit. Especially if I have to take a summer class or some bullshit to finish...

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options

Furreal though. My advisor actually screwed me over. I kind of want to sue him a little bit. Especially if I have to take a summer class or some bullshit to finish...

They did that to my sister. Universities are just a mess. They're a bunch of moving parts who have no idea what the fuck is happening. Don't sweat it if you aren't a master of their bullshit.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I suspect their reaction to you wanting to apply to graduate school will not be what you expect :P

Also, what is involved in writing a personal statement? I am enthralled by the workings of higher education.

Basically, you talk about your experience in the field you want to study, why you really want to study it, what inspires you etc. etc., and most importantly, why you want to study at THAT institution, which is the hardest part. The places I am applying to are by no means the best places to study marketing research. They're places that I think I can realistically get into.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    furreal friends

wr02M0N.jpg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

Oh, eww. That sounds like a clusterfuck of unpleasantness. For what it's worth, that's how all my essays started >.>

And then I later made more by pulling paragraphs from different essays together. And now I am being flown places to talk with them. It is really hard to write when you're feeling shitty though. I hope the weekend relaxes you enough to get the work to where you feel good. That you've managed to keep your composure and write anything with that much stress is impressive, so don't be too hard on yourself.

• Options
    furreal friends

wr02M0N.jpg

Oh God I think I had one of those. D: Or like... the year 2000 version of that.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

jesus fuck

how dense do you have to be?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

Basically, you talk about your experience in the field you want to study, why you really want to study it, what inspires you etc. etc., and most importantly, why you want to study at THAT institution, which is the hardest part. The places I am applying to are by no means the best places to study marketing research. They're places that I think I can realistically get into.

Science ones are lucky in that we can just go look at labs and be like "Well I want to go to your school because this dude is a boss and studying rad shit."

Which is how every essay I wrote ended.

• Options
    I am enjoying how blown your mind is, Elldren.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

Oh. Writing that sort of thing sounds terrible.

It's like lying in a job interview.

"Why do you want to work here?"

"I heard you guys give out money in exchange for services rendered."

Marketing research would be a cool field of study though.

Edit: Haha what I'm like 86% sure I didn't quote that dog.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    im a dag waf waf

nZhgQJR.jpg

• Options
    Also in the sciences, you talk about what you've done in that field.

A personal statement and statement of purpose are pretty much the same thing, though maybe the emphasis is different. You explain why you want to do what you can, what you've prepared for so far in the field, what you intend to do, why you want to go to school, and what makes you want to apply to that one in particular.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    That Party princess thread that was linked earlier was actually a very good read.

Edit: for those interested http://theprincessforhire.com/

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    furreal friends

wr02M0N.jpg
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I hope so. My degree now is in Television/Radio production so it's kind of an odd switch. I have a marketing minor, at least. I spoke to a professor about it and he says that my weird major will help me "stand out." "Business major, Accounting major, Marketing major... hey, what the hell is this TV kid?" Or they could see right through my b.s. and figure out that I decided potentially getting a job was better than working in TV; my favorite passtime.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I managed to avoid writing "I am applying here because the better people won't take me" on all of them.

To be fair, the questions about why you want to do it is less bullshit than a job interview. In a job interview you are usually interested in it because it's a job you can get and are prepared for so you can get dollars to spend on things. With grad schools it's a legitimate question - why do you want a PhD in neuroscience? Or a Masters in marketing. Most people want money, most people don't care about these. What makes you different?

• Options
    See, for all these reasons, if I wrote my personal statement now it would be a bitter, cynical perspective on our broken society and people dying in locked clubs in Brazil.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    See, for all these reasons, if I wrote my personal statement now it would be a bitter, cynical perspective on our broken society and people dying in locked clubs in Brazil.

Chat stream of consciousness is the worst form of essay writing known to man.

• Options

you're hired

• Options
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I managed to avoid writing "I am applying here because the better people won't take me" on all of them.

To be fair, the questions about why you want to do it is less bullshit than a job interview. In a job interview you are usually interested in it because it's a job you can get and are prepared for so you can get dollars to spend on things. With grad schools it's a legitimate question - why do you want a PhD in neuroscience? Or a Masters in marketing. Most people want money, most people don't care about these. What makes you different?

... I want money.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I actually said that what I looked for in the job was that it satisfied all the criteria I needed for my work visa.

Apparently it did not go over well.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

Or untapped genius?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

... I want money.

No, you find market research interesting. The way psychology acts on a massed scale is super cool! And other such feelings!

• Options

Or untapped genius?

Well it's not untapped anymore, thanks to you!

• Options
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

... I want money.

No, you find market research interesting. The way psychology acts on a massed scale is super cool! And other such feelings!

Yes, those things. And advertising on young, innocent minds is my favorite form of brainwashing.

This is my other problem. I'm not yet totally convinced that marketing isn't an evil, evil business.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    furreal friends

wr02M0N.jpg
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

I hope so. My degree now is in Television/Radio production so it's kind of an odd switch. I have a marketing minor, at least. I spoke to a professor about it and he says that my weird major will help me "stand out." "Business major, Accounting major, Marketing major... hey, what the hell is this TV kid?" Or they could see right through my b.s. and figure out that I decided potentially getting a job was better than working in TV; my favorite passtime.

I think it's a totally natural and viable transition! Start off interested in the on-air / production side of media, then as you get more involved in it you decide you're more interested in who makes the bigger decisions, and how it all works, and why some things succeed and other things fail, etc.

Family tradition in media and marketing here ... I get why it's so interesting. :)

• Options
    Marketing IS an evil, evil business!

But it's so fucking brilliant that you can't NOT want to know how it works.

• Options
    Goodnight, Regina!

East coast. New Yawhk.

... I want money.

Yes, those things. And advertising on young, innocent minds is my favorite form of brainwashing.

This is my other problem. I'm not yet totally convinced that marketing isn't an evil, evil business.

If I told you some things about neuroscience research >.>

Anyway, that's totally fine. I don't think you have to pretend the field is sunshine and puppies, though I don't think it's good to mention that it's totally darkness and horse skeletons. And things can be evil and still totally interesting. You just want to show that you really are interested.

• Options
    I did not mention that neuroscience is what it is today thanks to its throne of kitten skulls in my essay.

I kind of glossed that part over.

• Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to set up a meeting with someone to look over my statement next week so I have to have it written by then. I don't have a whole lot going on before Monday so hopefully I can really work on it. It's still worth a go. Rolling admission is driving me crazy though. Every day that passes... "will there still be a spot left for me? what if the last spot is filled THE DAY BEFORE I finally send my stuff in?" Mind games, man. Mind games.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Goodnight folks.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I did not mention that neuroscience is what it is today thanks to its throne of kitten skulls in my essay.

I kind of glossed that part over.

Studying neuroscience must be fascinating. I wish I had a more scientific mind. Neuroscience PhD means you are serious business in the world of knowing stuff. I think you should cure depression and anxiety.

Edit: Goodnight, Cinders! I'm sorry for hogging the chat. :(

Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Goodnight folks.

Goodnight Cinders!

I also sleep. See y'all ... tomorrow night. Maybe? I'm actually largely unclear on how my weekend is going to play out.

See ya when I see ya, [chat]ters :)

Be excellent to each other.

• Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to set up a meeting with someone to look over my statement next week so I have to have it written by then. I don't have a whole lot going on before Monday so hopefully I can really work on it. It's still worth a go. Rolling admission is driving me crazy though. Every day that passes... "will there still be a spot left for me? what if the last spot is filled THE DAY BEFORE I finally send my stuff in?" Mind games, man. Mind games.

Mind games suck, but you'll do fine. Good luck finishing it by Monday!

I meant to go to bed like half an hour ago, so I should probably do that now. I'll talk to y'all later.

This discussion has been closed.