As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Endless [Chat]

1939495969799»

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    everyone is going to bed 0_0

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to set up a meeting with someone to look over my statement next week so I have to have it written by then. I don't have a whole lot going on before Monday so hopefully I can really work on it. It's still worth a go. Rolling admission is driving me crazy though. Every day that passes... "will there still be a spot left for me? what if the last spot is filled THE DAY BEFORE I finally send my stuff in?" Mind games, man. Mind games.

Mind games suck, but you'll do fine. Good luck finishing it by Monday!

I meant to go to bed like half an hour ago, so I should probably do that now. I'll talk to y'all later.

Goodnight everyone! Off to bed with me as well. It's too freezing to continue sitting here otherwise.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I did not mention that neuroscience is what it is today thanks to its throne of kitten skulls in my essay.

I kind of glossed that part over.

Studying neuroscience must be fascinating. I wish I had a more scientific mind. Neuroscience PhD means you are serious business in the world of knowing stuff. I think you should cure depression and anxiety.

Edit: Goodnight, Cinders! I'm sorry for hogging the chat. :(

What can I say, I like learning. I'll let you know if I manage to cure any major diseases :P

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2013
    Goodnight, Regina!

I've been going to be at around 10pm the past few nights, and now staying up till 1 is exhausting.

What time zone are you in again?

East coast. New Yawhk.

Ah. So you are me plus three.

You should always stay up until one, just because everyone in that time zone should so there are more people on at night here.

Most of the time I do. It's been a weird week for me. Whenever I get stressed out or upset about something, going to bed immediately to stop the bad thoughts is my new solution. Healthy/not healthy?

I can't say whether it's healthy or not healthy but on a scale of me/not me it is very me.

I always try and nap when I'm upset. It's a good way to reset.

What's up? Why are you stressed? Or is it something you'd not like to talk about, because that's cool too.

Hah, thanks. Yeah it's mostly stupid stuff, my graduation status is all screwed up because my advisor is an idiot and told me I didn't need a certain class to graduate when I actually did. So now the dean and the director of my program are emailing me constantly trying to figure out what happened and whether I'll be able to graduate this spring... on top of that I need those same people's help with applying to graduate school, which I need to finish in the next two weeks, and I expect their reaction to me "this girl can't even graduate undergrad, and she wants to get involved in a master's program?" Also I've been trying to write my personal statement (which has to be good or you don't get in according to everyone), and I've just been in a shitty frame of mind for writing positive, insightful things about me. I have fragmented paragraphs all over a word document that are the exact opposite of what all the guides say you should focus on in a personal statement. GAH. I feel useless.

@Ravenhpltc24

I was able to write an acceptable personal statement. So, you know, the bar isn't that high.

With personal statments, you ought to be able to go to either your university's "career center", or whatever they call it, or go to people in your department to ask what people in your field look for in statements.

If you can get your advisor to send an e-mail to the dean / director of program explaining the situation that would be a super-big help. It's just now February, so depending on your school's schedule you could perhaps get into the course you need, and maybe do well enough to get a C just for the credit?

Edit: Sorry, I was a bit late to this party.

_J_ on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh my god, two thirty page appellate briefs are done and gone and I wanna get drunk and crash.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I suck at battlefield 3 argh

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Lazy, weak people.

There seem to be hundreds of people at every station I visit en route to Heathrow, which is mildly impressive given it is 7am

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    desc

you should play planetside

and suck there too

it'll be fun!

fuck gendered marketing
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

:winky:

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

What in particular seems to be giving you grief?

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    learned something kind of neat a while back. apparently there is a perfectly functional way to formulate even pre-20th century "Newtonian" physics which is not deterministic. And even useful! it was developed because it works better for some orbit calculations than the misleadingly deterministic functions developed by Newton and Kepler and so on.

this approach involves looking at physical systems starting with the Principle of Least Action and building up from there (which quickly leads to the work of Lagrange and Hamilton for example).

and that is without even getting into quantum physics which is both the most well supported scientific theory in history and is completely non deterministic. There are two very big problems with the current theory of course but those have to do with explaining why there is a macroscopic universe and why the cosmological constant is so different in measurement than in theory.

the universe is simply not deterministic on the most fundamental levels. Non determinism is more fundamental to current (or even 80 year old) physics than any concept except maybe time. And that is only because that is still very much an open area of research.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    desc wrote: »

Make sure to try all the classes and vehicles a few times, and all the maps.

The beauty of that game is the fact that while you probably wont be good at everything, you should be able to find a niche.

Edit: Personally I would suggest a rush map and support with a machine gun + bipod. So much fun.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Alright late-night / west-coast [chat], within a few weeks it's very likely I'll be launching a podcast of some variety. Choose a theme ... so that I might dismiss it immediately! :o

hit up In Our Time. it is great.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    this has been the crappiest 2 days ever. can't even believe its only been 2 days.

Thursday morning over the course of about 4 hours I went from feeling a bit sore (figured it was from exercise the night before) to having a huge fever and every muscle screaming hellpain at my brain.

I still am downing advil like mad and can barely walk

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I'm not.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I am listening to trap music instead of sleeping

why

who knows

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    trap... music?

Inquisitor wrote: »
    trap... music?

it latches on

fuck gendered marketing
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am listening to trap music instead of sleeping

why

who knows

because

fuck gendered marketing
  • MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    I wish I were sleeping, but instead I'm playing my DS, trying to make myself tired.
    Insomnia sucks you guys!

This doesn't involve men dressed as women at all!

• MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

It's like some NES games and some midi had a threesome with some scanners and PC bits.
    SeXXXy

jake you got the right idea

fuck gendered marketing
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    eUDiEwD.png

BWAHAHAHAHA

Oh Bill.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    just posted in CF about a new board game I got to try before the super ebola felled me called Archipelago. It was pretty terrible on a lot of fronts (despite looking very promising at first glance) but probably the single weirdest thing about the game is that there is a chart for tracking unrest on the islands. If unrest gets too high there is a rebellion and everyone loses.

but the way you track this is with a little human shaped black piece (for unrest) and human shaped white piece (for happy citizens). So the little black dude is chasing the little white dude and if he catches em everyone loses.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Elldren wrote: »
    jake you got the right idea

bass > sleep

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    tonight is going to be a club at home night

fuck gendered marketing
    I posted this the other day but no one commented

so here it is again, I love this thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9XTK3_n2Y

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, close the thread

rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @saint2e has escaped across international lines. Ending pursuit protocols. Suspect @Lars may warrant additional investigation...

This discussion has been closed.