As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic book characters as tattoos...

SentrySentry Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Graphic Violence
I am considering getting a tattoo of Nightcrawler on my person... I firmly believe in truth in advertising and feel women have the right to know what they're getting into prior to sleeping with me.

So, does anyone else have a comic related tattoo? Any words of encouragement or discouragement?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wrote:
When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sentry on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What

You mean the part about Nightcrawler having two dicks?

[spoiler:3c83cf4e64]I think it was Austen who said that, so feel free to pretend it never happened[/spoiler:3c83cf4e64]

Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    austen seriously said that? He is a classy dude.

Mai-Kero on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That is not how you use an apostrophe correctly.

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    my old boss has a venom tattoo on his upperarm

it's terrible looking, in my opinion (but then, I think Venom's retarded)

It's gigantic, and all monochromatic black, and he paid $400 for it

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    I think tattoos look best when they're some kind of simple design or pattern or logo or something. I think most comic characters would be too complicated to do well on skin.

Scooter on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I think tattoos look best when they're some kind of simple design or pattern or logo or something. I think most comic characters would be too complicated to do well on skin.

Agreed. I also hate hate hate gradients in tattoos. It always looks so bad.

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, with tattoos simple is always better.

Good: Spider-Man's logo. The Blue Beetle scarab. Perhaps a toothy smile as a callback to the Joker.

Bad: Spider-Man doing a somersault as he fights the Green Goblin with the Daily Bugle in the background and Jonah Jameson leaning out a window shaking his fist.

The thing to realize is that tattoos, even done by a really talented artist, are going to degrade pretty quickly over time, and will require touch-ups. The less color/detail you have put into it, the less time/money you'll need to spend over time just to keep it looking good.

If you really want a Nightcrawler tattoo, I'd go for a silhouette displaying his most prominent traits, ie pointed tail, yellow eyes, the big red collar on his traditional costume, etc. And make sure the guy who's going to tatto you shows you some photos of his past work. Don't be the guy that gets stuck with a newbie inking you.

Munch on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've seen a lot of good Grendel tattoos. Nice and simple.

august on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't suggest getting a figure drawing either, they tend to look bad, especially in color. If you really want a full figure tattoo then I would suggest getting something that looks like the picture in this link.

I've been trying to find this awesome "symbol" for Nightcrawler that I thought would make a bad ass tattoo but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. It was a simple black and white design of NC coming out of a BAMF cloud. The cloud was black (except some white whisps), as was most of NC, the only reason you could tell anythign was in the cloud was because of the white used to highlight just outlines of parts of his shoulder, ear, back, ect. The eyes were white as well and the tail came out of the cloud along with at least one of his feet, also all black. It was really impressive. Get a tattoo like that with yellow for the eyes. :^:

Accualt on
    edited September 2006
    Yea, the best nightcrawler look would probably be a silhouette showing off the yellow eyes, tail, and the three-fingered hands/feet, looking like he's wallcrawling on you. Either that or a bamf cloud.

Scooter on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I took a bunch of stuff over to an artist in town... she's been tattooing for like, 16 years and has won a ton of awards... I almost walked out when she showed me a Dragon Ball Z tattoo she had done, but all in all, her work is really good. Basically, I handed her a bunch of pics of Nightcrawler, told her what looks I liked, then let her design it... I'm gonna go look at it later and make a decision then...

Oh, and she has a totally hot daughter who works there. So... that's awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You may want to hold off putting the moves on the daughter until after her mom is done poking you with needles. :P

Generally, I think full character portraits are going to look like crap as tatoos. As Munch said, symbols for characters tend to look much better. I've seen decent Green Lantern symbol tatoos, for example.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Comic book characters as tattoo's...

...are not a good idea.

DarkPrimus on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think after I get mine, I'll promptly get a tatoo of a bullet hole on my forehead.

It seems appropriate.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited September 2006
    I still want to get a tattoo of Cap's shield in the middle of my back. My friend thinks I should get a tattoo of Cyclops since he is my favorite but, well, the guy doesn't have a symbol.

Still my wife suggested having Cyclops on one shoulder firing an optic blast across my back into whoever else. As much as I dislike full figure comic tattoos it is tempting to have Cyke blasting Mr. Sinister across my back.

Accualt on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    I don't suggest getting a figure drawing either, they tend to look bad, especially in color. If you really want a full figure tattoo then I would suggest getting something that looks like the picture in this link.

I've been trying to find this awesome "symbol" for Nightcrawler that I thought would make a bad ass tattoo but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. It was a simple black and white design of NC coming out of a BAMF cloud. The cloud was black (except some white whisps), as was most of NC, the only reason you could tell anythign was in the cloud was because of the white used to highlight just outlines of parts of his shoulder, ear, back, ect. The eyes were white as well and the tail came out of the cloud along with at least one of his feet, also all black. It was really impressive. Get a tattoo like that with yellow for the eyes. :^:

white fades into yellow, so i wouldn't recommend that tattoo.

Angry on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    But then you would have to own up to paying money to get Mr. Sinister tatooed on your person.

Is that something you're willing to commit to?

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited September 2006
    But then you would have to own up to paying money to get Mr. Sinister tatooed on your person.

Who is totally hot.

august on
  • TalonissTaloniss Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have several comic book Tattoo's. I have the Superman S-shield on one forearm andt he Venom Spider symbol on the other forearm, a Punisher skull on one bicep, and Spider-man pulling himself out of his grave from Kraven's Last Hunt on the other bicep. Don't regret any of them.

Characters can work as tattoo's as long as they're either a) big enough to get detail in or b) you sacrafice some detail.

Taloniss on
    edited September 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    I still want to get a tattoo of Cap's shield in the middle of my back. My friend thinks I should get a tattoo of Cyclops since he is my favorite but, well, the guy doesn't have a symbol.

Get a visor tattooed across your eyes

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Get a visor tattooed across your eyes

Man, if I was in a succesful band I would.

Accualt on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm gonna get the green lantern ring tattooed on my middle finger, just as soon as I pay off these medical bills.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm gonna get the green lantern ring tattooed on my middle finger, just as soon as I pay off these medical bills.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to get a replica of the ring? I mean, it's like drawing a watch on your wrist...

robosagogo on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yes, but I could lose the ring or it could get stolen.
    And watch on the wrist is a good idea too.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yes, but I could lose the ring or it could get stolen.
    And watch on the wrist is a good idea too.
    This is going off topic, but imagine having a watch tatooed on your wrist, except for the hands. Then having the watch mechanism implanted under the skin.

That would be...

stupid.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2006
    Taloniss wrote:
    I have several comic book Tattoo's. I have the Superman S-shield on one forearm andt he Venom Spider symbol on the other forearm, a Punisher skull on one bicep, and Spider-man pulling himself out of his grave from Kraven's Last Hunt on the other bicep. Don't regret any of them.

Characters can work as tattoo's as long as they're either a) big enough to get detail in or b) you sacrafice some detail.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ABUSING THOSE POOR APOSTROPHES.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ABUSING THOSE POOR APOSTROPHE'S.

august on
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ABUSING THOSE POOR APOSTROPHE'S.

I'm going to murder you in your sleep.

DarkPrimus on
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want to get a smallish tattoo of the Batman symbol (perhaps the sort that doesn't have the yellow circle around it) on the back of my neck.

Zodiac Brave on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want to get a smallish tattoo of the Batman symbol (perhaps the sort that doesn't have the yellow circle around it) on the back of my neck.

Why don't you just get a belt buckle or something.

Cariblue on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

Why don't you just get a belt buckle or something.

Yeah, that's where your diocese goes.... if you're a bishop.

Fencingsax on
  • ThujoneThujone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like the idea of a comic tattoo for the most part, although the Superman S is getting ridiculous and very boring for a tattoo idea.

I've seen some kid get Wolverine tattoos on his knuckles and also with the "swing" or whatever sound bubble that is what wolverine's claws coming out sound like.

I've also seen a few people on the street with Spider Jerusalem tattoos.

Thujone on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thujone wrote:
    "swing" or whatever sound bubble that is what wolverine's claws coming out sound like.

"swing"?
    What the fuck? That's not even remotely close...

Gigaton on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Gigaton wrote:
    Thujone wrote:
    "swing" or whatever sound bubble that is what wolverine's claws coming out sound like.

"swing"?

Snikity-snikt!

I'm imititating Wolverine's Berzerker rage there.

Tach on
    edited September 2006
    I thought the sound he made when his claws popped out was "I'm the best at what I do..."

Oh... and I got the tattoo. I'll post pictures of it tonight...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tach wrote:
    Gigaton wrote:
    Thujone wrote:

"swing"?

Snikity-snikt!

I'm imititating Wolverine's Berzerker rage there.

Should we call you Logan, Weapon-X?

Marathon on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Taloniss wrote:
    and Spider-man pulling himself out of his grave from Kraven's Last Hunt on the other bicep.

That seems like both the worst idea ever, and the most totally awesome thing in the history of the universe. Pics?

Whippy on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    You should get this tattooed somewhere prominent.

DMAC on
    edited September 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    You should get this tattooed somewhere prominent.

Yay! A grammer lesson... it's informational AND off-topic..

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    It's a comic AND it'd be handy.

You could get the word grammar tattooed underneath it.

I think I would go for something obscure enough that only true comic geeks would know what it was, like the shape from Doctor Strange's window.

DMAC on