As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX AUS 2013 HOTEL POLL Part 2

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in PAX Australia
BOOK HERE!

What hotel are you staying at?

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

PAX AUS 2013 HOTEL POLL Part 2 28 votes

Mantra Southbank $229 / Night
10% 3 votes
Pensione Melbourne $150 / Night
17% 5 votes
Quest Flemington $473 / Night CLOSEST TO PAX
28% 8 votes
Riverside Serviced Apartments $180 / Night
42% 12 votes
Southbank Central $219 / Night
0% 0 votes
Southbank Deluxe $235 / Night
0% 0 votes
Southbank One $235 / Night
0% 0 votes

• Options
    FishHeadFishHead BrisbaneRegistered User new member
    Backpackers for me, I don't plan on using the accommodation for much except for a bed and a loot holder.

• Options
    JaydenBJaydenB 2D & 3D Artist/Programmer/Co-Founder of Pathway Games Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Same @FishHead. I'm trying to save everything for the actual flights and merchandise at the convention.

I make games an love doing it! Currently working on a 2D 3rd Person Stealth Game. And no that doesn't make sense, but it will when you see a preview ;)

YouTube: http://youtube.com/AtomicMonkeyPro (I don't upload anything to do with my games here)
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JaydenBev (Neither here, but I'm gonna start soon)
    Dev-Blog: *Currently in the works!*
  • Options
    FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Riverside is only 8k's from the show grounds, im sure there is a buss service to the grounds

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    vuman619vuman619 Registered User new member
    i got 2 bedrooms for me and the family at riverside, bus, train and tram stops on flinders st.

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Riverside represent, yo!

So says the whitest man who ever lived :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    Are any groups planning independent hotel/room parties? some of the best times I've had at conventions are at planned/semi official parties in the hotels. So if there are plans at a particular establishment ill try to stay there.

• Options
    AlexnaderAlexnader Registered User regular
    ninnanuam wrote: »
    Are any groups planning independent hotel/room parties? some of the best times I've had at conventions are at planned/semi official parties in the hotels. So if there are plans at a particular establishment ill try to stay there.

That sounds pretty cool, I guess I'll hold off booking accommodation for a bit longer till we get intel on that.

• Options
    I should have booked a bigger hotel room :)

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I own a 2 story town-house apartment in Carlton (about a 10 min drive max to showgrounds) that depending on whether my father is squatting in it at the time I might be able to make available - I'll investigate it and let people know. It guess it also depends on comfortable I feel with relative strangers having access to my property so since I'm new to these forums I'll try to get to know you all a bit better over the next couple of months :D

• Options
    Party at Fitz's house! :D

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    zerochosen wrote: »
    Party at Fitz's house! :D

Eh why not. The townhouse is next to a cool little irish pub and about a 5 minute walk to Lygon street :P

• Options
    Oh dear. What will the neighbours say when you have a bunch of cosplay clad drunks over? :D

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I have to say, we are the BEST kind of drunks ;)

• Options
    It's hard to get angry at a guy partying too loud when he's dressed like Optimus Prime...

• Options
    "After all Freedom(to party) is the right of all sentient beings"
    It's hard to get angry at a guy partying too loud when he's dressed like Optimus Prime...

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    all the cheap hotels are like in the CBD which is about 15-20 mins out from the expo :(

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    Trams work really well, not hard to catch one from CBD

• Options
    really tempted to book everything right now :D

• Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Already done it :-)

• Options
    Ditto!
    DragonBear wrote: »
    Already done it :-)

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    @thegh0sts If it helps to make your decision - I booked Riverside a few months ago and they haven't taken the money off of my credit card yet...

• Options
    edited December 2012
    i was thinking of just booking through an airline co. like jetstar. i have the cash and that's not a problem....just a) being lazy, b) still hoping there's better deals.

EDIT: waiting for my Galaxy S3 to ship so i can sell off my One X and put the cash towards to the expo :D

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    OK, now i am booked for sure!

• Options
    yamsyams Sir PerthRegistered User new member
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    I have to say, we are the BEST kind of drunks ;)
    I must respectfully disagree, currently living in Perth and having speant some time in Vancouver. Canadians are the best to get drunk with :P

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Referring to gamers :P Not nationality :)

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Referring to gamers :P Not nationality :)

Some gamers are (the extroverted nutbags like me :P) The quiet geeks creep me out when they get drunk as they get all moody and sit in the corner and glower at people...

Fitzchivalry on
  • Options
    yamsyams Sir PerthRegistered User new member
    Not the geeks here in Australia -_- most of them are arrogant knowitalls... plus Guild Wars 2 won't let me login :(

• Options
    i've booked with the hotel ibis melbourne and it's close to the southern cross station of about 2 blocks...definitely walkable with luggage.

• Options
    NoodlezNoodlez PerthRegistered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    i've booked with the hotel ibis melbourne and it's close to the southern cross station of about 2 blocks...definitely walkable with luggage.

Planning on staying here too.
    Stayed there for Supanova this past year, and is so easy to get to the showgrounds from there.
    there is a Tram that at the end of the street (1 min walk) that drops you right out front of the showgrounds.

• Options
    better book cos you never know if they have rooms left.

• Options
    NoodlezNoodlez PerthRegistered User regular
    yeah, true, I better.
    When you booked, did you ask if they had a special rate for PAX attendees?

• Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    yams wrote: »
    Not the geeks here in Australia -_- most of them are arrogant knowitalls... plus Guild Wars 2 won't let me login :(

i know that feel bro

• Options
    Noodlez wrote: »
    yeah, true, I better.
    When you booked, did you ask if they had a special rate for PAX attendees?

nope cos i went directly through jetstar and at the time i thought the jetstar rates for the hotel was much better than the PAX AUS rates.

• Options
    BlargosaurusBlargosaurus Registered User regular
    I just booked into the Travelodge Docklands. Excellent deal on now through Wot.

• Options
    RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    The Space cafe hotel is a brutal lil hotel in the middle of Melbs, has a bar down the bottom too :3

• Options
    edited April 2013
    trying to determine what the fees are for internet access at the ibis hotel :p

EDIT: WOW! $27.50 AUD for in-room internet for only 24 hours....that should be an indication of how crap australian internet is!

at least the holiday inn in Seattle it was free....so i downloaded 16gb worth of games off steam :D

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    trying to determine what the fees are for internet access at the ibis hotel :p

EDIT: WOW! $27.50 AUD for in-room internet for only 24 hours....that should be an indication of how crap australian internet is!

at least the holiday inn in Seattle it was free....so i downloaded 16gb worth of games off steam :D
    Better to buy a pre-paid usb dongle. Hotels like charging through the nose for that sort of thing, even though it doesn't actually cost them anywhere NEAR that amount to provide the service.

• Options
    i wonder if you can get a dongle and tether it to the phone like USB tether?

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i wonder if you can get a dongle and tether it to the phone like USB tether?

I am thinking of getting something like this...

50D79A87250219A0E10080000AF11387.JPG

officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Networking/Wireless-Mobile-Broadband/TEMF914G

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    more like this...

Three_dongle.jpg

would be interested if i could use it with an OTG cable and do USB tethering.